2019 Coaching saga -Thread

Wests Tigers Discussion
prattenparkchild

Re: Tigers set to part ways with Cleary and seal Bennett deal

Post by prattenparkchild » Thu 18 Oct, 2018 6:19 pm

I haven't posted too much on this as I haven't been too sure how I feel but now its sort of getting there. For my 2 cents worth I think that:

a/ WT sign a new coach for 2019 onwards whoever that might be.
b/ Cleary is not released early unless Penrith cough up reasonable compensation.
c/ No compensation Cleary just sits out 2019-20 whilst WT new coach gets on with their job.

Not matter how much we may point fingers at Gould and the Penrith manager whose name escaped me now, Cleary has a large part of the blame on his shoulders and unless Penrith comes up with compensation, Cleary can rot on the sidelines. I feel not one iota of compassion / consideration for him going early to Penrith. I'm not going to reward him in any way for this mess he has placed us in without compensation from Penrith to us.

tiger05premier

Post by tiger05premier » Thu 18 Oct, 2018 6:22 pm

prattenparkchild wrote:
Thu 18 Oct, 2018 6:19 pm
I haven't posted too much on this as I haven't been too sure how I feel but now its sort of getting there. For my 2 cents worth I think that:

a/ WT sign a new coach for 2019 onwards whoever that might be.
b/ Cleary is not released early unless Penrith cough up reasonable compensation.
c/ No compensation Cleary just sits out 2019-20 whilst WT new coach gets on with their job.

Not matter how much we may point fingers at Gould and the Penrith manager whose name escaped me now, Cleary has a large part of the blame on his shoulders and unless Penrith comes up with compensation, Cleary can rot on the sidelines. I feel not one iota of compassion / consideration for him going early to Penrith. I'm not going to reward him in any way for this mess he has placed us in without compensation from Penrith to us.
Good post prattenparkchild

Would be nice but probably won't happen

IC is twice the grub MM is

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Thu 18 Oct, 2018 6:46 pm

His contract would state he's employed to coach WTs NRL team... Anything else we'd have him doing we'd be in breach

diedpretty

Post by diedpretty » Thu 18 Oct, 2018 6:47 pm

Lauren wrote:
Thu 18 Oct, 2018 4:54 pm
hammertime wrote:
Thu 18 Oct, 2018 4:43 pm
Lauren wrote:
Thu 18 Oct, 2018 4:32 pm
the longer it drags on, it only makes me doubt that Justin & Marina have any control at all.

Lauren wrote:
and the last thing we need is to make rash decisions that only lead us to a repeat of the coaching predicament post Sheens.
Slightly conflicting there Lauren.

I think Justin and Marina are taking their time to ensure they explore all possible options and go through the due process. Our problem before was that we didn't do that.
Yeah now we're awaiting on how things unveil at the Broncos and it makes me feel they haven't really got a handle on things.
Rash might be the wrong word. But I don't want the club to set forth a plan totally based on another club's decision. This sends the wrong message to me.

Meanwhile Gus Gould only has to sit back while everything plays into his hands. This is what is most frustrating to me.
You're right. I can't stand the fact that Gould comes out of this with exactly what he wanted. I'm inclined to offer Benny a 3/4 yr contract from 2020, tell Cleary he is going nowhere next year and take away all recruitment decisions from him. Might just wipe the smirk off Gould's face.

170px-JabbaTheHutt.jpg
170px-JabbaTheHutt.jpg (12.18 KiB) Viewed 431 times

hammertime

Post by hammertime » Thu 18 Oct, 2018 6:47 pm

Lauren wrote:
hammertime wrote:
Lauren wrote:
the longer it drags on, it only makes me doubt that Justin & Marina have any control at all.

Lauren wrote:
and the last thing we need is to make rash decisions that only lead us to a repeat of the coaching predicament post Sheens.

I think Justin and Marina are taking their time to ensure they explore all possible options and go through the due process. Our problem before was that we didn't do that.
Yeah now we're awaiting on how things unveil at the Broncos and it makes me feel they haven't really got a handle on things.
Rash might be the wrong word. But I don't want the club to set forth a plan totally based on another club's decision. This sends the wrong message to me.

Meanwhile Gus Gould only has to sit back while everything plays into his hands. This is what is most frustrating to me.
The problem is it seems Wayne is more honourable than Cleary. Unfortunately, that means we need the Broncos involved. We have a plan, it just has dependencies. Madge would be our backup option if Wayne isn't here in 2019 and that is probably timeboxed to the end of the week. To me, that's the right plan for the best outcome for us. Don't care how it's perceived in the short term.

Gus doesn't really hold all the cards here. We could always keep Cleary under contract and mess with him. But I don't think we will. Hopefully, we can get a deal for an early release in return.

prattenparkchild

Post by prattenparkchild » Thu 18 Oct, 2018 6:50 pm

innsaneink wrote:
Thu 18 Oct, 2018 6:46 pm
His contract would state he's employed to coach WTs NRL team... Anything else we'd have him doing we'd be in breach
Let him take us to court. Im not saying he doesnt get paid, he just doesnt get the work due to his bringing the club into negative press and actually working with Penrith to nullify his existing contract with WT.

InBenjiWeTrust

Post by InBenjiWeTrust » Thu 18 Oct, 2018 6:54 pm

Cleary shall stay with WT for the contract duration, when his contract expires we can think of another coach.
And if or ex legend 'I prefer watching NFL, much more than go through tough pre-season training' is still here, Jason Taylor may be our best option :mrgreen:

matchball

Post by matchball » Thu 18 Oct, 2018 6:54 pm

hammertime wrote:
Thu 18 Oct, 2018 6:47 pm
Lauren wrote:
hammertime wrote:
Lauren wrote:

Lauren wrote:

The problem is it seems Wayne is more honourable than Cleary. Unfortunately, that means we need the Broncos involved. We have a plan, it just has dependencies. Madge would be our backup option if Wayne isn't here in 2019 and that is probably timeboxed to the end of the week. To me, that's the right plan for the best outcome for us. Don't care how it's perceived in the short term.

Gus doesn't really hold all the cards here. We could always keep Cleary under contract and mess with him. But I don't think we will. Hopefully, we can get a deal for an early release in return.
Yeah great idea. Let's mess with Ivan.
He can wreck our squad. Recruit absolute garbage and take the good with him in 2021.

We need ditch him asap before he can do anything.

Cairnstigers

Post by Cairnstigers » Thu 18 Oct, 2018 7:03 pm

Still dont get the Cleary to Penrith deal
Nathan has already re signed with Penrith long term
They dont need Ivan to keep Nathan so they say
No Clause in Nathans contract either so they say

Does Gus honestly believe that signing Ivan is Penriths best chance of a premiership
I doubt that very much

Ivan hasn't proved anything in his coaching career to date
I think Gus was that desperate to keep Nathan and thought let's get his dad here and we keep Nathan

Big mistake IMO

If they wanted a coach to help them win a premiership why not go after Seibold or another top coach
Cleary doesn't rate next to the elite coaches in our game
He has proven nothing

Gus is handing Ivan a team capable of winning a premiership but I think there will be so much expectation and pressure that they will fail dismally

I can see alot of finger pointing and blame directed at players and staff when they start to loose
Internal bickering will be just the start and players will leave

Penriths window will be well and truly shut

That is my bold prediction for next year

TYGA

Post by TYGA » Thu 18 Oct, 2018 7:04 pm

Smartest play is to sign Wayne for 2020 now.
Brisbane will sign either Seibold or Maguire for 2020. Both Brisbane and the Panthers will want their coaches in 2019. Wayne gets subsidised to move on and we get paid to relase Cleary.

helmesy

Post by helmesy » Thu 18 Oct, 2018 7:22 pm

TYGA wrote:
Thu 18 Oct, 2018 7:04 pm
Smartest play is to sign Wayne for 2020 now.
Brisbane will sign either Seibold or Maguire for 2020. Both Brisbane and the Panthers will want their coaches in 2019. Wayne gets subsidised to move on and we get paid to relase Cleary.
Agreed, sign Bennett for 2020, either way we can’t really lose, so long as we have a plan B for 2019.

Cairnstigers

Post by Cairnstigers » Thu 18 Oct, 2018 7:29 pm

If Bennett comes in 2020 all of our current players will want to stay
Who wouldn't want to be able to say that they were once coached by the great Wayne Bennet
No one will follow Cleary out the door unless we push them
So I wouldn't worry about Ivan taking a few of our players
Penrith also wont have the cap room
They just spent it all on Nathan

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Thu 18 Oct, 2018 7:53 pm

prattenparkchild wrote:
Thu 18 Oct, 2018 6:50 pm
innsaneink wrote:
Let him take us to court. Im not saying he doesnt get paid, he just doesnt get the work due to his bringing the club into negative press and actually working with Penrith to nullify his existing contract with WT.
Yeah righto ...I dont see that holding up in court...but anyhow..

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Thu 18 Oct, 2018 7:55 pm

We’re not starting up the Cleary to reserve grade talk again are we? Spare me.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Thu 18 Oct, 2018 7:56 pm

THE POM wrote:
Tue 16 Oct, 2018 4:03 pm
Michael Maguire is in the box seat for 2019 only thing that will change that is if In the next 24-36hrs Bennett changed his mind & quits Brisbane.
Also Luke Brooks will re-sign for a further 3 years.
Times up Benny

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Thu 18 Oct, 2018 8:01 pm

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Thu 18 Oct, 2018 7:55 pm
We’re not starting up the Cleary to reserve grade talk again are we? Spare me.
Not unless Penrith give us players as compensation... ;)
Madge's Maulers.

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

Tcat

Post by Tcat » Thu 18 Oct, 2018 8:11 pm

innsaneink wrote:
He will be employed as the coach of the Panthers but we all know hes not going to be the real coach with Gus there so we just do the same thing. However, we are better then that.

bathursttiger

Post by bathursttiger » Thu 18 Oct, 2018 8:14 pm

hammertime wrote:
Lauren wrote:

Lauren wrote:

Me thinks Lauren might be blonde.
It’s been scientifically proven that long term use of peroxide causes permanent brain damage.