Tigers set to part ways with Cleary and seal Bennett deal

Wests Tigers Discussion
Harvey

Re: Tigers set to part ways with Cleary and seal Bennett deal

Post by Harvey » Fri 12 Oct, 2018 6:46 am

Not sure an ultimatum would help get Bennett. If the broncos roster plays up to its potential next year, uncle will not be short of suitors

helmesy

Post by helmesy » Fri 12 Oct, 2018 7:08 am

Harvey wrote:
Fri 12 Oct, 2018 6:46 am
Not sure an ultimatum would help get Bennett. If the broncos roster plays up to its potential next year, uncle will not be short of suitors
I’m not so sure about that, especially given his age. This could be his last opportunity for all we know.

The Patriot

Post by The Patriot » Fri 12 Oct, 2018 7:43 am

Tiger Steve wrote:
Thu 11 Oct, 2018 10:47 pm
I get the Bennett magic, experience etc. and I’ve heard many times that his players love him. But isn’t anyone concerned that he’s getting a bit old? Maybe it’s not an issue but everyone fades with time. I’m not against him coming but I’m just a bit hesitant.

A lot of people i know have the same concern. Is he too old?

Its hard to tell but if we had any doubts it makes no sense then to wait another year before signing him. He would only be another year older.
Its an opinion!

Abraham

Post by Abraham » Fri 12 Oct, 2018 8:04 am

My 2 cents ...

If we get Bennett we get a coach who is the best the game has seen, has had results everywhere he has coached, and would attract players who otherwise would not see our club as a potential home.

If we get Madge we get a coach who has had success with one club, playing a certain type of footy, that he cannot replicate at the Tigers. The fact he hasn't coached anywhere else since means we don't know if he has been able to update his playbook, and we don't know if he can develop a style of coaching that would work at the Tigers. He is more of a gamble than Bennett.

I know i am in the minority, but i would keep Ivan for another year if it means definitely getting Bennett in 2020. It wouldn't be the first time, or the last time, a coach is signed elsewhere for the next season.

If everything is cleared up and the players know who is coaching and what the plan is, then they can put their heads down and concentrate on playing footy next year.

avocadoontoast

Post by avocadoontoast » Fri 12 Oct, 2018 8:15 am

momo&medo wrote:
Fri 12 Oct, 2018 1:07 am
gallagher wrote:
Thu 11 Oct, 2018 10:22 pm
WT2K wrote:
Thu 11 Oct, 2018 10:11 pm
It has to be 2019 for Bennett or move on to someone else.
It doesn’t have to be anything. Eating 12 months for Bennett would work out fine.
I'm not sure we should be prepared to sacrifice another year.

diedpretty

Post by diedpretty » Fri 12 Oct, 2018 8:26 am

The Patriot wrote:
Thu 11 Oct, 2018 7:16 pm
Wests Tigers have made a lot of dumb decision in their short and uneventful history but keeping Ivan Cleary on as coach for 2019 will rank up there as the worst of them all.

Management might be peddling that line as some sort of legal view point but reality is that the majority of fans, media, players, other coaches and staff just wont cop it.

Would be an absolute disaster.
I would think he is gone. As for the club, as others have said they just can't come out and say " Ivan is gone and we are looking for a new coach". They won't make any announcement until everything is finalised - new coach signed, deal finalised with Penrith and a big boot purchased to kick Ivan up the rear as he leaves.

Harvey

Post by Harvey » Fri 12 Oct, 2018 8:30 am

avocadoontoast wrote:
Fri 12 Oct, 2018 8:15 am
momo&medo wrote:
gallagher wrote:
WT2K wrote:
It doesn’t have to be anything. Eating 12 months for Bennett would work out fine.
With our recruitment, I think we already have. I am not sure it is sacrificing a year, but rather performing as usual.

Let Cleary coach from the start of the year and if the team is not performing, let him resign and appoint Hodgo, Benji and Robbie as the caretakers

supercoach

Post by supercoach » Fri 12 Oct, 2018 8:33 am

The Patriot wrote:
Fri 12 Oct, 2018 7:43 am
Tiger Steve wrote:
I get the Bennett magic, experience etc. and I’ve heard many times that his players love him. But isn’t anyone concerned that he’s getting a bit old? Maybe it’s not an issue but everyone fades with time. I’m not against him coming but I’m just a bit hesitant.

A lot of people i know have the same concern. Is he too old?

Its hard to tell but if we had any doubts it makes no sense then to wait another year before signing him. He would only be another year older.

Not worried about the age factor, as a head coach your a people manager and motivator. The actual day to day coaching is done by his team of assistants.

Although I am not sure uncle Wayne still has that god like status with the lastest generation of footballers. Once thing for certain he would put our brand name in the spotlight

avocadoontoast

Post by avocadoontoast » Fri 12 Oct, 2018 8:36 am

Harvey wrote:
Fri 12 Oct, 2018 8:30 am
avocadoontoast wrote:
momo&medo wrote:
gallagher wrote:

With our recruitment, I think we already have. I am not sure it is sacrificing a year, but rather performing as usual.

Let Cleary coach from the start of the year and if the team is not performing, let him resign and appoint Hodgo, Benji and Robbie as the caretakers
I agree with you on the first point, however, getting in a new long term coach immediately at least means moving swimming in the right direction, rather than treading water/drowning for another 12 months. There is zero benefit for us to have Cleary at the club any more.

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Fri 12 Oct, 2018 8:41 am

I know what Bennett can bring, but I am not so sure we can wait a year for him. I don't think it is useful to have Cleary here for just one season when he'll have one, if not both, eyes on Penrith, and I don't want to see a year pissed away with a caretaker coach. Hodgo is great bloke and my favourite WT player but he is not what we need as a coach at the moment.

If Bennett cannot be here next year, it has to be Madge or Toovs.
#penaltyTigers

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

goldcoast tiger

Post by goldcoast tiger » Fri 12 Oct, 2018 8:42 am

TYGA wrote:
Fri 12 Oct, 2018 1:45 am
IF the Tigers want Bennett this is smart business come now or don’t come at all. Broncos don’t want him he wants one ast year with a gun up and coming squad to boost his stocks. Perhaps take over Souths or Parra next year. I’d lean towards Madge personally but if it’s our call between the two hats off to the leadership this was well played.
That’s why he won’t come here this next season

diedpretty

Post by diedpretty » Fri 12 Oct, 2018 8:42 am

Tiger Steve wrote:
I've thought this as well - the guy will be 70 in 2020 and we are looking at offering a long term deal.

kafta

Post by kafta » Fri 12 Oct, 2018 8:47 am

avocadoontoast wrote:
momo&medo wrote:
gallagher wrote:
WT2K wrote:
With our current roster for 2019 it look's like we already have.

gallagher

Post by gallagher » Fri 12 Oct, 2018 9:51 am

momo&medo wrote:
gallagher wrote:
WT2K wrote:
I just hate the idea of wasting another year waiting for the next year to come.

AnnandaleTiger

Post by AnnandaleTiger » Fri 12 Oct, 2018 9:52 am

Anybody got this article on the Australian - Brisbane Broncos close on Wayne Bennett's replacement

The Patriot

Post by The Patriot » Fri 12 Oct, 2018 9:56 am

diedpretty wrote:
Fri 12 Oct, 2018 8:26 am
The Patriot wrote:
Thu 11 Oct, 2018 7:16 pm
Wests Tigers have made a lot of dumb decision in their short and uneventful history but keeping Ivan Cleary on as coach for 2019 will rank up there as the worst of them all.

Management might be peddling that line as some sort of legal view point but reality is that the majority of fans, media, players, other coaches and staff just wont cop it.

Would be an absolute disaster.
I would think he is gone. As for the club, as others have said they just can't come out and say " Ivan is gone and we are looking for a new coach". They won't make any announcement until everything is finalised - new coach signed, deal finalised with Penrith and a big boot purchased to kick Ivan up the rear as he leaves.

Ill donate to the boot fund if needed.
Its an opinion!

Masterton

Post by Masterton » Fri 12 Oct, 2018 9:59 am

AnnandaleTiger wrote:
Fri 12 Oct, 2018 9:52 am
Anybody got this article on the Australian - Brisbane Broncos close on Wayne Bennett's replacement
Brisbane could be just weeks away from naming a replacement for Wayne Bennett after beginning the formal process of identifying their next coach from a field that is believed to include South Sydney’s Anthony Seibold, Queensland State of Origin coach Kevin Walters and premiership winner Michael Maguire.

It is understood the Broncos studied rival clubs and sports before finalising a plan for appointing Bennett’s replacement. The seven-time premiership winner has been told next season will be his last as the club’s head coach.

An option for Bennett is Wests Tigers. Talks have been held and Bennett is believed to have outlined his terms to the Tigers.

READ NEXT

Sickening attack on older driver
ALANA CALVERT
Seibold is still considered the favourite for the job, although Souths are working hard to extend his current deal beyond the end of next season after a superb debut year in which he led the Rabbitohs to the preliminary final.

Walters has long coveted the role and has an agreement with the Queensland Rugby League that they will not stand in his way should an NRL head coaching job come his way.

Maguire is in the sights of a few clubs but has a clear preference for Brisbane, where he would take over a roster many believe is primed to win a premiership.

Brisbane assistant Jason ­Demetriou is also expected to be interviewed given he is already in the system and in the eyes of many is ready to become an NRL coach.

It is believed the Broncos would prefer not to drag out the process, which could mean they are in position to name Bennett’s successor relatively quickly. The result is likely to have ramifications across the game.

Walters would be unlikely to remain as Queensland coach should he return to the Broncos.

That would leave the QRL to find a new coach of the Maroons. North Queensland’s Paul Green is among those who would be likely to figure in discussions given he has made it known he would like to try his hand in Origin.

Bennett, in the interim, has his own future to sort out. It is understood he has outlined his terms to the Tigers as part of a three-year deal that would result in him taking over from Ivan Cleary, most likely at the end of next year.

Cleary is yet to inform the ­Tigers of his plans but the sense is that he wants to join his son Nathan at Penrith. The Panthers have tabled a lucrative deal from 2021.

The Tigers are likely to cut him loose earlier than that, although exactly when could depend on Bennett’s plans.

It is understood talks with the Broncos coach have centred largely around the 2020 season. He has another year on his deal at Brisbane and has indicated he wants to finish his contract.

That could be a deal-breaker, meaning Maguire would jump to the head of the Tigers’ queue.

The Tigers are due to begin pre-season training early next month and are likely to want the matter settled before then, ­although the situation is made more difficult by the fact that ­Maguire and Bennett will both be overseas in their respective roles as coaches of the New Zealand and England teams, who will meet in a three-Test series.

The Broncos, meanwhile, will undertake a rigorous process designed to ensure they find the best candidate to take the club forward in the post-Bennett era.

The outcome will be telling: the experience of Manchester United in the English Premier League soccer highlights how important such a decision can be for a club’s fate.

United, a giant of world soccer, have struggled to keep pace with their rivals since Alex Ferguson’s departure, having tried and failed with a handful of managers. The Broncos are the closest thing in the NRL to United and Bennett is the closest thing to Ferguson.

Brisbane’s next choice is their most important, particularly with their roster at a point where many believe it is ready to compete for a title.

In other news, Manly are expected to announce their new coach next week amid whispers that Des Hasler could be back in the frame. Hasler has been out of work since parting ways with Canterbury at the end of 2017 after previously coaching Manly to two premierships in 2008 and 2011. Current assistant John Cartwright is still the favourite for the job.
"I was on the bus before you painted it yellow."

Masterton

Post by Masterton » Fri 12 Oct, 2018 10:33 am

goldcoast tiger wrote:
Thu 11 Oct, 2018 9:58 pm
Tiger Steve wrote:
Thu 11 Oct, 2018 7:07 pm
Yossarian wrote:
Thu 11 Oct, 2018 7:02 pm
coivtny wrote:
Thu 11 Oct, 2018 6:49 pm

Not sure if I'm missing some nuance in your post. Of course it's possible Cleary will be here in 2019, most people on this forum (me included) don't seem to think it's probable he'll be here in 2019. The fact that SFA has happened doesn't preclude the possibility that a lot of things aren't happening at a less than public level. But, as you say, time will tell.
The nuance, if there is one, is that a lot of people are operating under the assumption that Cleary definitely won't be our coach in 2019.
Well if Cleary stays that would be a disaster as mooted by Reynolds and Brooks.
Brooks didn’t say that it would be a disaster.
Not sure what Reynolds said and couldn’t less anyway
Doesn't seem to bother Esan either:

"I'm not too sure what's going on. Hopefully [Cleary] is still the coach but in saying that if he feels that's the right choice to make the move to go to Penrith, then it's the right move for him. He gave me my opportunity to debut. He does want to coach his son [Nathan] and if it's family first it's family first. There are no hard feelings."

https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/ ... 5092l.html
"I was on the bus before you painted it yellow."