Fri 12 Oct, 2018 10:28 pm
Tiger Steve wrote:
Fri 12 Oct, 2018 10:23 pm
Fade To Black wrote:
Fri 12 Oct, 2018 9:44 pm
Nucky Thompson wrote:
Fri 12 Oct, 2018 8:29 pm
Hooper saying Maguire.
Hooper would just be throwing red herrings out everywhere to keep his court case out of the news. Seems Daffyd has had one too many Bacardi Breezers and thrown a hissy.........
What court case?
He got trolleyed and was found passed out on the smashed up bonnet of someone else's car. Charged with destroying or damaging property re: the car.
Thanks!
“Peanuts! Get ya peanuts - in the shell or sugar coated!” Leichhardt memories.

Post by 851 » Fri 12 Oct, 2018 10:45 pm

momo&medo wrote:
Fri 12 Oct, 2018 8:43 pm
Nucky Thompson wrote:
Hooper saying Maguire.
I think both are an upgrade on Cleary but would prefer Bennett. But it will be what will be BUT let’s get it over and done so we can have this resolved.
Agree, the sooner it's sorted the better, but I am not a fan of waiting a year for Bennett, if he won't come now, sign Maguire
Go hard or go home

WT2K

Post by WT2K » Fri 12 Oct, 2018 10:52 pm

851 wrote:
Fri 12 Oct, 2018 10:45 pm
momo&medo wrote:
Fri 12 Oct, 2018 8:43 pm
Nucky Thompson wrote:
Hooper saying Maguire.
I think both are an upgrade on Cleary but would prefer Bennett. But it will be what will be BUT let’s get it over and done so we can have this resolved.
Agree, the sooner it's sorted the better, but I am not a fan of waiting a year for Bennett, if he won't come now, sign Maguire
Won't happen whilst both coaches are away on international duties. So basically it's a waiting game until internationals are done with.
No more plodders!
:sign:

Masterton

Post by Masterton » Fri 12 Oct, 2018 10:52 pm

from Sporting News

Convincing Wayne Bennett to leave Brisbane a year before his deal runs out to prolong his comprehensive coaching career at Concord may be a mission too big for the Wests Tigers.

The predicament places former South Sydney coach Michael Maguire in the box seat to fill in Ivan Cleary's shoes should he leave for Penrith, according to Fox Sports reporter James Hooper.

Cleary's position at the Tigers remains untenable with the three-club coach agreeing to terms with the Panthers beyond 2021, leaving the Tigers with no option but to prioritise their long-term interests.

MORE: Des Hasler in line to return to Manly Sea Eagles as head coach

A release is imminent, with Tigers chief executive Justin Pasco believed to be the last person to sign off on it.

It means Bennett has no option but to pack up his bags immediately - a move Hooper just cannot see going forward.

“I think the bloke who is coaching New Zealand, Michael Maguire - he knocked back the Manly Sea Eagles gig - he is a very strong chance of coaching the Wests Tigers,” Hooper told The Rush Hour with MG on Triple M.

“I know from speaking to people at the club, that it’s basically down to him or Wayne Bennett.

“I get the impression as though it’s going to be hard to prise (Bennett) out of Red Hill before 2020. That tips things in favour of ‘Madge’ (Maguire).

“He won a premiership with the Bunnies in 2014, he’s a hard disciplinarian and he’s doing a good job with the Kiwis.

“That could be the way it swings, but there’s still a bit to play out with the whole Ivan Cleary scenario.”

On Friday, NRL.com reported Bennett messaged his playing group to reaffirm his commitment to Brisbane despite an expected announcement from the club that they will be moving him on at the end of 2019.

The long-standing coach has expressed his desire to continue his career, however the Tigers job may be the only window of opportunity with the coaching merry-go-round set to come to a sudden end once the Brisbane piece of the puzzle is filled.

Maguire was heavily linked to the Broncos gig with news Bennett may make an immediate return to Sydney, but with that move appearing unlikely, another crazy twist sees him become the Tigers' top target.

Hooper - a Tigers tragic- would have no issues with the idea of Maguire taking charge.

“The thing I like about Madge is he’s a really hard disciplinarian,” he said.

“For a club like the Tigers that’s mid-table, missed the top eight this year, promised a lot early — beat the Roosters and Storm.

“The thing with Michael Maguire is he’s a proven winner and for a club like the Tigers who are middle of the road, he’s the sort of bloke who can take them to the next level.”
"I was on the bus before you painted it yellow."

Tiger Steve

Post by Tiger Steve » Fri 12 Oct, 2018 11:07 pm

Masterton wrote:
Fri 12 Oct, 2018 10:52 pm
from Sporting News

Convincing Wayne Bennett to leave Brisbane a year before his deal runs out to prolong his comprehensive coaching career at Concord may be a mission too big for the Wests Tigers.

The predicament places former South Sydney coach Michael Maguire in the box seat to fill in Ivan Cleary's shoes should he leave for Penrith, according to Fox Sports reporter James Hooper.

Cleary's position at the Tigers remains untenable with the three-club coach agreeing to terms with the Panthers beyond 2021, leaving the Tigers with no option but to prioritise their long-term interests.

MORE: Des Hasler in line to return to Manly Sea Eagles as head coach

A release is imminent, with Tigers chief executive Justin Pasco believed to be the last person to sign off on it.

It means Bennett has no option but to pack up his bags immediately - a move Hooper just cannot see going forward.

“I think the bloke who is coaching New Zealand, Michael Maguire - he knocked back the Manly Sea Eagles gig - he is a very strong chance of coaching the Wests Tigers,” Hooper told The Rush Hour with MG on Triple M.

“I know from speaking to people at the club, that it’s basically down to him or Wayne Bennett.

“I get the impression as though it’s going to be hard to prise (Bennett) out of Red Hill before 2020. That tips things in favour of ‘Madge’ (Maguire).

“He won a premiership with the Bunnies in 2014, he’s a hard disciplinarian and he’s doing a good job with the Kiwis.

“That could be the way it swings, but there’s still a bit to play out with the whole Ivan Cleary scenario.”

On Friday, NRL.com reported Bennett messaged his playing group to reaffirm his commitment to Brisbane despite an expected announcement from the club that they will be moving him on at the end of 2019.

The long-standing coach has expressed his desire to continue his career, however the Tigers job may be the only window of opportunity with the coaching merry-go-round set to come to a sudden end once the Brisbane piece of the puzzle is filled.

Maguire was heavily linked to the Broncos gig with news Bennett may make an immediate return to Sydney, but with that move appearing unlikely, another crazy twist sees him become the Tigers' top target.

Hooper - a Tigers tragic- would have no issues with the idea of Maguire taking charge.

“The thing I like about Madge is he’s a really hard disciplinarian,” he said.

“For a club like the Tigers that’s mid-table, missed the top eight this year, promised a lot early — beat the Roosters and Storm.

“The thing with Michael Maguire is he’s a proven winner and for a club like the Tigers who are middle of the road, he’s the sort of bloke who can take them to the next level.”
Either way just get it done
“Peanuts! Get ya peanuts - in the shell or sugar coated!” Leichhardt memories.

TIGERPOWER

Post by TIGERPOWER » Sat 13 Oct, 2018 12:11 am

goldcoast tiger wrote:
Fri 12 Oct, 2018 10:22 pm
diedpretty wrote:
Fri 12 Oct, 2018 9:11 pm
goldcoast tiger wrote:
Fri 12 Oct, 2018 6:21 pm
Abraham wrote:
Fri 12 Oct, 2018 8:04 am
My 2 cents ...

If we get Bennett we get a coach who is the best the game has seen, has had results everywhere he has coached, and would attract players who otherwise would not see our club as a potential home.

If we get Madge we get a coach who has had success with one club, playing a certain type of footy, that he cannot replicate at the Tigers. The fact he hasn't coached anywhere else since means we don't know if he has been able to update his playbook, and we don't know if he can develop a style of coaching that would work at the Tigers. He is more of a gamble than Bennett.

I know i am in the minority, but i would keep Ivan for another year if it means definitely getting Bennett in 2020. It wouldn't be the first time, or the last time, a coach is signed elsewhere for the next season.

If everything is cleared up and the players know who is coaching and what the plan is, then they can put their heads down and concentrate on playing footy next year.
In your opinion,he’s the best,

hardly any coach has had the players that he’s had to work with.
Yes hes been good but he’s had almost the whole state that’s mad on the game to pick from,
At times he’s had 15 year old kids signed by the dozen to sift through,
Hes had a leagues club that just happened to employ a rather large number of players wives
Over a long time , and funnily enough, they weren’t sighted working in the club very often , if at all.

He’s had The Thoroughbreds to shovel money into the Bennett coffers almost every year.
He’s had two of the best highschools in the game feeding loads of talent into his teams

And he’s had the pick of Qld soo players to work with for much of his time in the game.
His only attempt with a lower quality NRL team , ended with The Knights almost on their knees.

He had a pretty good team this year, but was murdered when it mattered , and was helped bybad Officials calls through out the season ,which gave him a rails ride into the Semis.
No one can deny that with the talent that he’s had , and the help organised by Andrew Gee, at times he should have the record that he’s got!!
He won’t come here , as he’s seen the other side at Newcastle , and won’t risk his reputation before he picks up his last big checque after next year
He also scarpered from the airport after doing a crap job with the Aussie team,
There’s been a lot of good coaches, but none with the same advantages that Bennett’s had
His time at Newcastle was mixed - they went backwards in his first year there finishing 12th but they were only 2 games out of the 8. In 2013 they finished 7th and went with one game of playing in the GF. IN 2014 they slipped back to 12th once again only 2 games out of the 8 but this was when the whole Tinkler world was crashing down. Based on results his time there was probably average but there was a lot of disruption. Something he would have to get used to if he came here.
I doubt that There would be too many people in newcastle who would want him back, at any price, his name stinks there.
There’s been a lot of good Coaches over the years, but I’ve never heard of any of them getting the advantages that he’s had, and he’s come back to the field more and more lately
Won 7 premierships. Has a grand final record of 7/8. Ask Craig Bellamy how hard it is to win a grand final. Definitely not needed here. Let’s hang onto Cleary the myth. Love your logic.

Tigerdave

Post by Tigerdave » Sat 13 Oct, 2018 5:59 am

Balmainian wrote:
Fri 12 Oct, 2018 9:05 pm
Tigerdave wrote:
Fri 12 Oct, 2018 7:59 pm
So, the Panthers have stated that Ciraldo is the coach for next year, but will be replaced, the Bronco's have stated the same for Bennett.......everyone appears to be ok with that, but if Cleary is only here for next year as well, somehow that's a problem and we'll go backwards?

Think it'll all work out well enough if Cleary is here next year and there's confirmation of Bennett for 2020.
The only differences

One coach is amazed he’s coaching First grade
The second wants to see out his contract and build a solid last year and a strong club to leave behind.
While Cleary wants to get out fast, He’s not shown his best side lately especially to the fans that were all for him 3 months ago.

Come out and say something Ivan.
You owe the fans that have followed their team for a lot longer than you have been here, if your going go.
But if your staying than get on with it and good luck.
But why wouldn't Ivan want to build a solid last year?

Again, the Panthers are "still in limbo", their current coach has been publicly told he'll be coaching first grade next year, why is it that "they'll be alright" yet we won't be?

The Bronco's, no coach after next year and now this could happen that they could be without a coach next year, despite what Bennett has stated.

There's no indication Cleary wants to "get out fast" at all and I don't think a lack of statement from him really counts as "wanting to get out fast".

In the end, it'll all be sorted however it all goes. We'll still have a coach, I understand people are disappointed with all this, but it's not going to kill club or the side, we'll still have a coach, just depends on who and the club is clearly sorting trying to sort it out, which takes time. Would have been easier had Bennett been leaving at the end of this year though.

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Sat 13 Oct, 2018 6:33 am

If Maguire comes to us after turning down Manly, it says a lot about how disfunctional Manly are that he’d rather come here. Throw in the fact Matterson reportedly chose us over the Sharks, maybe we aren’t the basket case we used to be. Keep in mind, we didn’t create this mess.

andrew 474

Post by andrew 474 » Sat 13 Oct, 2018 6:54 am

Spot on , we did not create this Mess , the club I think was Blind sided by it , and if Madge is coming we need to get it done asap , Forget Bennett we can't wait an extra year as we were close this year we have purchased 2 fair players and have 2 spots left , give Madge those choices and move on , Madge may even get those Kiwis up over the Aussies , haha

tiger05premier

Post by tiger05premier » Sat 13 Oct, 2018 7:10 am

TPJ rumoured to be signing only one year with broncos

Maybe Bennett using him as a bargaining tool in negotiations with tiger's

You keep IC for 1 year and I will bring TPJ with me in 2020 as i just want 1 last year with broncos

goldcoast tiger

Post by goldcoast tiger » Sat 13 Oct, 2018 7:22 am

TIGERPOWER wrote:
Sat 13 Oct, 2018 12:11 am
goldcoast tiger wrote:
Fri 12 Oct, 2018 10:22 pm
diedpretty wrote:
Fri 12 Oct, 2018 9:11 pm
goldcoast tiger wrote:
Fri 12 Oct, 2018 6:21 pm

In your opinion,he’s the best,

hardly any coach has had the players that he’s had to work with.
Yes hes been good but he’s had almost the whole state that’s mad on the game to pick from,
At times he’s had 15 year old kids signed by the dozen to sift through,
Hes had a leagues club that just happened to employ a rather large number of players wives
Over a long time , and funnily enough, they weren’t sighted working in the club very often , if at all.

He’s had The Thoroughbreds to shovel money into the Bennett coffers almost every year.
He’s had two of the best highschools in the game feeding loads of talent into his teams

And he’s had the pick of Qld soo players to work with for much of his time in the game.
His only attempt with a lower quality NRL team , ended with The Knights almost on their knees.

He had a pretty good team this year, but was murdered when it mattered , and was helped bybad Officials calls through out the season ,which gave him a rails ride into the Semis.
No one can deny that with the talent that he’s had , and the help organised by Andrew Gee, at times he should have the record that he’s got!!
He won’t come here , as he’s seen the other side at Newcastle , and won’t risk his reputation before he picks up his last big checque after next year
He also scarpered from the airport after doing a crap job with the Aussie team,
There’s been a lot of good coaches, but none with the same advantages that Bennett’s had
His time at Newcastle was mixed - they went backwards in his first year there finishing 12th but they were only 2 games out of the 8. In 2013 they finished 7th and went with one game of playing in the GF. IN 2014 they slipped back to 12th once again only 2 games out of the 8 but this was when the whole Tinkler world was crashing down. Based on results his time there was probably average but there was a lot of disruption. Something he would have to get used to if he came here.
I doubt that There would be too many people in newcastle who would want him back, at any price, his name stinks there.
There’s been a lot of good Coaches over the years, but I’ve never heard of any of them getting the advantages that he’s had, and he’s come back to the field more and more lately
Won 7 premierships. Has a grand final record of 7/8. Ask Craig Bellamy how hard it is to win a grand final. Definitely not needed here. Let’s hang onto Cleary the myth. Love your logic.
Strange then if he’s still so great that a club like the Broncos don’t want him past this year , and by the looks of it wouldn’t mind if he faded into the distance now,

You still miss my point, so Il repeat it again!

NO other Coach has had the advantages that he has had , another advantage is that with only a couple of exceptions, he’s always had a solid, wealthy and well run club behind Him,!!

I never said he wasn’t a good Coach.but with the same advantages , would his record look so good.
I don’t think so.

goldcoast tiger

Post by goldcoast tiger » Sat 13 Oct, 2018 7:32 am

tiger05premier wrote:
Sat 13 Oct, 2018 7:10 am

You keep IC for 1 year and I will bring TPJ with me in 2020 as i just want 1 last year with broncos
How many times does Bennett have to say that he
Is staying in Brisbane next year before some here finally get it?

goldcoast tiger

Post by goldcoast tiger » Sat 13 Oct, 2018 7:37 am

tiger05premier wrote:

If it’s a rumour , it must be Right on the money,
He’s not coming, now , next week next month or Ever

Pawsandclaws

Post by Pawsandclaws » Sat 13 Oct, 2018 7:45 am

tiger05premier wrote:

Bennett is needed at our club. Maguire would be a disaster.

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Sat 13 Oct, 2018 8:20 am

goldcoast tiger wrote:
Sat 13 Oct, 2018 7:37 am
tiger05premier wrote:

If it’s a rumour , it must be Right on the money,
He’s not coming, now , next week next month or Ever
I wouldn't be so sure...
Wests Tigers don't need a Coach.. The playing group has taken over..
happy tiger wrote:
Thu 25 Oct, 2018 12:17 am

OK I was wrong

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Sat 13 Oct, 2018 8:26 am

tiger05premier wrote:

TPJ is contracted for 2019. Signing for a year would keep him there the end of 2020.

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Sat 13 Oct, 2018 8:30 am

And I don’t think Bennett would need any bargaining chips with us. We need him a lot more than he needs us.

willow

Post by willow » Sat 13 Oct, 2018 8:35 am

goldcoast tiger wrote:
Sat 13 Oct, 2018 7:32 am
tiger05premier wrote:

How many times does Bennett have to say that he
Is staying in Brisbane next year before some here finally get it?
Don't jump the gun too quickly on this one. Bennett is the preferred option and what is being reported isn't always true - we've seen enough nonsense printed by journos to know better.