Re: One Home Ground

Post by willow » Wed 10 Oct, 2018 4:17 pm

hobbo wrote:
Wed 10 Oct, 2018 3:54 pm
Imo Perth is the way to go !

1. We already have the name
2. The NRL would give us a massive leg up monetary wise
3. We're out of the crap that is Sydney
4. We'll still get to watch them play in Sydney against sides like Souths / Roosters /Parra etc
5. We can enjoy weekends away flying over to Perth with family and friends.
6....and imagine a road trip with happy and Geo !

And imo it’s an attractive place to live...plus players would want to come over to get out of the fish bowl which is Sydney !
We will never relocate to Perth.

gallagher

Post by gallagher » Wed 10 Oct, 2018 4:24 pm

hammertime wrote:
Wed 10 Oct, 2018 3:50 pm
gallagher wrote:
Wed 10 Oct, 2018 1:42 pm
Russell wrote:
Wed 10 Oct, 2018 11:51 am
No to Campbelltown from me. Area is not supportive enough as a crowd.

No to Leichhardt from me. Area are now under "the Chardonnay set" umbrella - good percentage of crowd are just curiosity seekers for a spiritual experience.

WSS is the way to go - we'll know more after this next season.

Still would keep one game each at Leichhardt, CSS and Tamworth - selecting the games very selectively.
I don't see the value in going back to L0/CSS for one game. I doubt the cowboys will take a game to Smiles once the new stadium is built
Will these facilities be maintained to an NRL standard If they aren't getting regularly used? Rip the bandaid off as someone said.
If we reduce our games at Leichhardt to 1, then I guarantee, that game will be a sell-out. Similar to taking a game to Tamworth (as well as improving our supporter base by engaging with other communities)

So, I see a benefit in keeping that historical link there. Campbelltown is not in the same boat, but I think we should keep the balance.
I agree that the number of LO games and CSS games will be the same amount, thats why I dont like the idea of even one game at LO. Three home grounds in one city just doesnt make sense to me. It dilutes any advantage.
They could have trial games there.

hammertime

Post by hammertime » Wed 10 Oct, 2018 4:29 pm

gallagher wrote:
Wed 10 Oct, 2018 4:24 pm

I agree that the number of LO games and CSS games will be the same amount, thats why I dont like the idea of even one game at LO. Three home grounds in one city just doesnt make sense to me. It dilutes any advantage.
I don't think they're considered home grounds at that point though. Every team takes games elsewhere for marketing and business development reasons. Belmore had two games this year.

It would mean 9 home games at 1 ground, with 3 as events elsewhere.

Can certainly understand your point of view though. It's all about balancing that home ground advantage vs financial initiatives.

gallagher

Post by gallagher » Wed 10 Oct, 2018 4:39 pm

hammertime wrote:
Wed 10 Oct, 2018 4:29 pm
gallagher wrote:
Wed 10 Oct, 2018 4:24 pm

I don't think they're considered home grounds at that point though. Every team takes games elsewhere for marketing and business development reasons. Belmore had two games this year.

It would mean 9 home games at 1 ground, with 3 as events elsewhere.

Can certainly understand your point of view though. It's all about balancing that home ground advantage vs financial initiatives.
I'd forget Tamworth TBH. Ten at WSS would certainly be better than the current set up.

Harvey

Post by Harvey » Wed 10 Oct, 2018 4:42 pm

If we are basing ourselves at WSS , we may as well merge with Parramatta.

We will lose our identity, be submerged in the paraphernalia of another club and not be based in one of the city’s major stadiums.

Amenities will be an upgrade on suburban grounds, but with a capacity of 30,000 it will not even hold a blockbuster crowd.

Another short sighted vanity project by the government. Given the massively increasing Sydney population, if you can’t plan for crowds of more than 30k in 5 years time, your club or sport are dying

Tiger2135

Post by Tiger2135 » Wed 10 Oct, 2018 4:58 pm

hobbo wrote:

Would you still be happy if they altered the name to include Perth?

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Wed 10 Oct, 2018 5:17 pm

Harvey wrote:
Wed 10 Oct, 2018 4:42 pm

We will lose our identity, be submerged in the paraphernalia of another club and not be based in one of the city’s major stadiums.

Amenities will be an upgrade on suburban grounds, but with a capacity of 30,000 it will not even hold a blockbuster crowd.

Another short sighted vanity project by the government. Given the massively increasing Sydney population, if you can’t plan for crowds of more than 30k in 5 years time, your club or sport are dying
We will lose our identity, be submerged in the paraphernalia of another club
If reports are accurate the stadium will have a very home feel for each of the tenants
and not be based in one of the city’s major stadiums.
Problem here?
When was the last time we got 30k+ to a game at ANZ?

Give it a chance first

gallagher

Post by gallagher » Wed 10 Oct, 2018 5:25 pm

Harvey wrote:

What did we ave at CSS this year? Under 10k was it? And you think a stadium of 30k is too small?

hobbo

Post by hobbo » Wed 10 Oct, 2018 5:25 pm

Tiger2135 wrote:
Wed 10 Oct, 2018 4:58 pm
hobbo wrote:

Would you still be happy if they altered the name to include Perth?
Wouldn’t worry me one bit !
We need mongrel ..
No more plodders !

mike
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by mike » Wed 10 Oct, 2018 5:37 pm

hobbo wrote:

4. We'll still get to watch them play in Sydney against sides like Souths / Roosters /Parra etc

And imo it’s an attractive place to live...plus players would want to come over to get out of the fish bowl which is Sydney !
You have more chance of Manly relocating to Perth.
Western Suburbs supporter since 1960 | Balmain junior since 1967 | Wests Tigers supporter since 1999

Post by 2041 » Wed 10 Oct, 2018 5:39 pm

Harvey wrote:

Let's wait till we're reliably selling out a 30,000 capacity stadium before we worry about capacity, hey? We're doing well to get a third of that at most of our games - there's plenty of headroom.

WT2K

Post by WT2K » Wed 10 Oct, 2018 5:55 pm

Agree with the OP. Rip the band aid off and make the move full time to wss. That's my two cents worth on the topic.
No more plodders!
:sign:

Spud Murphy

Post by Spud Murphy » Wed 10 Oct, 2018 6:01 pm

magpiecol wrote:
Wed 10 Oct, 2018 4:08 pm
hobbo wrote:

I've been saying this for some time. We also get a brand new stadium, one team in a big city adds up to lots of corporate sponsorships. Plus, with the money we would get from the NRL, we could afford to purchase some top line players.

Win Win.

:righton:
Didn't do the Western Reds much good. It's not easy to make an entire state start supporting a football code they are just not used to. Melbourne have made some inroads into the home of AFL in Victoria, it helps that they have been mega-successful, but they are still largely ignored by most of the sports loving population of Victoria. Even here in Broken Hill, though it's in NSW, the AFL still rules. Perth is an even harder area to break into imo, due to the tyranny of distance from anything Rugby League related.

bathursttiger

Post by bathursttiger » Wed 10 Oct, 2018 6:02 pm

hobbo wrote:

West Bathurst Tigers.

Russell

Post by Russell » Wed 10 Oct, 2018 7:25 pm

magpiecol wrote:
Wed 10 Oct, 2018 4:08 pm
hobbo wrote:

I've been saying this for some time. We also get a brand new stadium, one team in a big city adds up to lots of corporate sponsorships. Plus, with the money we would get from the NRL, we could afford to purchase some top line players.

Win Win.

Lose, Lose in my opinion.

:righton:

Russell

Post by Russell » Wed 10 Oct, 2018 7:29 pm

hobbo wrote:

1. Thought we were called Wests Tigers - not Perth Tigers.
2. Want to be heaps to move to a dump.
3. Don't consider Sydney to be crap.
4. A few games on FTA - that's all.
5. Maybe everyone can't afford to fly to Perth,
6. Yeah! a great road trip.

As I said earlier - a Lose lose situation.

Harvey

Post by Harvey » Wed 10 Oct, 2018 7:31 pm

innsaneink wrote:
Wed 10 Oct, 2018 5:17 pm
Harvey wrote:

We will lose our identity, be submerged in the paraphernalia of another club
If reports are accurate the stadium will have a very home feel for each of the tenants
and not be based in one of the city’s major stadiums.
Problem here?
When was the last time we got 30k+ to a game at ANZ?

Give it a chance first
The easter Monday clash the last few years. Sure it was 54k a year or 2 ago. The overflow can watch it at Parra leagues

Tigerstruck

Post by Tigerstruck » Wed 10 Oct, 2018 7:33 pm

Imo the 9 WSS, 1 LO, 1 CSS and 1 Tamworth model would work well.

Moving to WSS would give us much better facilities, a solid 30k capapcity which will work, and is accessible to most Sydneysiders and those in the Outer West too. We can build a new identity there and look forward to a stable future.

The LO and CSS games will come close to selling out (especially the LO game), and all those up North will appreciate a game they can attend to (as well as the NRL, who love teams taking games away from Sydney, giving us some $$$)

In regards to those saying Campbelltown is the way to go, I believe that won't work because it is inaccessible from inner Sydney regions, and the juniors argument is becoming more irrelevant because any good juniors will just get poached anyway.

For the Perth argument, I do see the advantages, and there are many, but I just think that the area will be too hard to break into.