Benji Marshall re-watched all his 2018 games before deciding his future with Tigers

Wests Tigers Discussion
Icon

Re: Benji Marshall re-watched all his 2018 games before deciding his future with Tigers

Post by Icon » Thu 18 Oct, 2018 10:06 am

The crap that is written about Benji and Robbie on this site is amazing, they are literally our best players of all time, they saved our season last year, they stayed on to help us through what will be another tough year, and some of you still (incorrectly) portray them as frauds, hanging around ''just'' to get to 300.

So, those that don't want them here next year, what's your alternative? they are (arguably) the best back-ups to their position in the comp, club legends, and somehow there are those that still complain.

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Thu 18 Oct, 2018 10:27 am

Benji was good to start the year. I think he was probably not expecting to play as much as he did with Grub basically becoming a permanent rehab resident all year. The wear and tear took a toll on him as the year rolled on.

Farah, well despite how I felt about him going and coming back I can't ignore that we are a better side with him in it, and he would be one of the first chosen next season.
Madge's Maulers.

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

Icon

Post by Icon » Thu 18 Oct, 2018 10:31 am

Btw, those on the "'another fluff"' article, what do you expect, it's rugby league, a sport, pastime, leisure, something we do for the love of it. Are you wanting hard heating articles? cold war Russia?. People complain when the club says nothing, complain when they do, complain, complain, complain.
The club is doing a great job at the moment, the way they've handled the coaching saga has been first class, the players are still presenting themselves in a positive manner, and these articles are positive. Bravo!

gallagher

Post by gallagher » Thu 18 Oct, 2018 10:49 am

Cultured Bogan wrote:
Thu 18 Oct, 2018 10:27 am
Benji was good to start the year. I think he was probably not expecting to play as much as he did with Grub basically becoming a permanent rehab resident all year. The wear and tear took a toll on him as the year rolled on.

Farah, well despite how I felt about him going and coming back I can't ignore that we are a better side with him in it, and he would be one of the first chosen next season.
The fact that Farah will be in the top 17 next year is what concerns me. He's not just a 'back up' as people are claiming. He's the best Cleary could come up with to try and plug a hole in our side, but he's not good enough. There were better hookers off contract.
With Brooks,Reynolds,Gamble and Mybe all halves, and already on contract, I see no need for Marshall at all when our three quarter line is bare.

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Thu 18 Oct, 2018 10:50 am

gallagher wrote:
Thu 18 Oct, 2018 10:49 am
Cultured Bogan wrote:

The fact that Farah will be in the top 17 next year is what concerns me. He's not just a 'back up' as people are claiming. He's the best Cleary could come up with to try and plug a hole in our side, but he's not good enough. There were better hookers off contract.
With Brooks,Reynolds,Gamble and Mybe all halves, and already on contract, I see no need for Marshall at all when our three quarter line is bare.
Whom else was off contract? I know Seggy was, but he isn't an 80 minute hooker either.
Madge's Maulers.

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

gallagher

Post by gallagher » Thu 18 Oct, 2018 10:54 am

Cultured Bogan wrote:
Thu 18 Oct, 2018 10:50 am
gallagher wrote:
Cultured Bogan wrote:

Whom else was off contract? I know Seggy was, but he isn't an 80 minute hooker either.
I'd take Seggy/Lidddle over Farah/Liddle.
Isaac Luke, even Kurt Baptiste.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Thu 18 Oct, 2018 1:49 pm

matchball wrote:
Thu 18 Oct, 2018 10:00 am
jadtiger wrote:
Thu 18 Oct, 2018 9:34 am
Toowoomba Tiger wrote:
Thu 18 Oct, 2018 9:28 am
What happened to this forum over recent years?

Short memories and dead set lack of respect, let alone some very simple minds when it comes to understanding footy and team rosters.

Each to their own opinions but fair dinkum, " they only want the 300 games milestone".
x2 very few people get to play 300 games in the NRL it is something to be applauded not ridiculed
It's different when it's forced.
300 games and still playing well is the achievement.
Not plodding on to reach it.

It's the only thing the club will be celebrating in 2019.
Massive milestone.
300 games when you are still playing as well as you were from game dot is an achievement

Robbie yes , Benji cmon be real ,even his shadow outplays him these days

Toowoomba Tiger

Post by Toowoomba Tiger » Thu 18 Oct, 2018 4:28 pm

I agree that he isn't the same player he was 10 years ago, but I still think he has something to offer, on the field and especially off.

Its the posts suggesting he is only going around again to get to 300 games, that I find disrespectful and ignorant.
Cleary and the club didn't re-sign him for a milestone achievement. They too believe he has something to offer.

Or that he should just shut up. He has earned the right to have a say and I think he speaks well, has balanced opinions and shows a professional attitude.

Most of all he is a Tiger through and through, which has been pretty rare in recent years.
previously known as 'The Tooth'

Harvey

Post by Harvey » Thu 18 Oct, 2018 4:54 pm

Cultured Bogan wrote:
gallagher wrote:
Cultured Bogan wrote:

Think Mich Rein has 2019 option in his favour.

It is dependent on what they are earning and their expectations. Both should be prepared to play a lot of reserve grade, and be on no more than 200k per year.

Benji must have fast forwarded through a fair few games, been under the influence, or wearing rose coloured glasses.

Black'n'White

Post by Black'n'White » Thu 18 Oct, 2018 6:25 pm

Harvey wrote:
Thu 18 Oct, 2018 4:54 pm
Cultured Bogan wrote:
gallagher wrote:
Cultured Bogan wrote:

It is dependent on what they are earning and their expectations. Both should be prepared to play a lot of reserve grade, and be on no more than 200k per year.

Benji must have fast forwarded through a fair few games, been under the influence, or wearing rose coloured glasses.
Im not afraid to say that Robbie who plays to instructions is an asset.... its when Robbie gets too big for his boots and trys to overplay and make decisions that he is a massive detriment to team success. Guy is a magician at making it look like he is the only one trying, as he chokes the options out of those around him.

I dont think we want another hooker on the books for multiple years... either Liddle gets it together and becomes durable to the rigors of the game, or we move onto bigger better things without the burden of a part timer eating up the cap allocated to the position. Robbie is a single year option, its not the end of the world.... especially if we are about to enter a new coaching era as his contract comes to conclusion.

NT Tiger

Post by NT Tiger » Thu 18 Oct, 2018 6:51 pm

Black'n'White wrote:
Thu 18 Oct, 2018 6:25 pm
Harvey wrote:
Thu 18 Oct, 2018 4:54 pm
Cultured Bogan wrote:
gallagher wrote:

Im not afraid to say that Robbie who plays to instructions is an asset.... its when Robbie gets too big for his boots and trys to overplay and make decisions that he is a massive detriment to team success. Guy is a magician at making it look like he is the only one trying, as he chokes the options out of those around him.

I dont think we want another hooker on the books for multiple years... either Liddle gets it together and becomes durable to the rigors of the game, or we move onto bigger better things without the burden of a part timer eating up the cap allocated to the position. Robbie is a single year option, its not the end of the world.... especially if we are about to enter a new coaching era as his contract comes to conclusion.
I agree fully. Not much more to say really. Both he and Marshall are rocks and diamonds, sometimes inspirational, other times, wtf? I'll add, I'm happy they're here as backups, for now.
Last edited by NT Tiger on Thu 18 Oct, 2018 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Quality Stupidity"

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Thu 18 Oct, 2018 6:53 pm

Poor Benji overshodowed by Robbie again..no wonder they don't get on...
Wests Tigers don't need a Coach.. The playing group has taken over..
happy tiger wrote:
Thu 25 Oct, 2018 12:17 am

OK I was wrong

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Thu 18 Oct, 2018 8:05 pm

Icon wrote:
Thu 18 Oct, 2018 10:06 am
The crap that is written about Benji and Robbie on this site is amazing, they are literally our best players of all time, they saved our season last year, they stayed on to help us through what will be another tough year, and some of you still (incorrectly) portray them as frauds, hanging around ''just'' to get to 300.

So, those that don't want them here next year, what's your alternative? they are (arguably) the best back-ups to their position in the comp, club legends, and somehow there are those that still complain.
Saved our season by getting us to 9th. Let’s crack the champagne.

What a ridiculous comment.

criwdfluffer

Post by criwdfluffer » Thu 18 Oct, 2018 8:45 pm

Ridiculous comment???

Its bang on.....we would have got belted without those two,especially Farah at the end of the season.

I sometimes wonder if in fact you watch us play and are actually a tigers fan or just here to troll good hearted peeps who love the club.

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Thu 18 Oct, 2018 8:55 pm

criwdfluffer wrote:
Thu 18 Oct, 2018 8:45 pm
Ridiculous comment???

Its bang on.....we would have got belted without those two,especially Farah at the end of the season.

I sometimes wonder if in fact you watch us play and are actually a tigers fan or just here to troll good hearted peeps who love the club.
We did get belted. Did you not watch the Dogs and Souths games? We missed the 8, what did they save us from again?

matchball

Post by matchball » Thu 18 Oct, 2018 9:24 pm

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Thu 18 Oct, 2018 8:55 pm
criwdfluffer wrote:
Thu 18 Oct, 2018 8:45 pm
Ridiculous comment???

We did get belted. Did you not watch the Dogs and Souths games? We missed the 8, what did they save us from again?
Saved us from 10th place.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Thu 18 Oct, 2018 9:29 pm

jadtiger wrote:
Thu 18 Oct, 2018 9:34 am
Toowoomba Tiger wrote:
Thu 18 Oct, 2018 9:28 am
What happened to this forum over recent years?

Short memories and dead set lack of respect, let alone some very simple minds when it comes to understanding footy and team rosters.

Each to their own opinions but fair dinkum, " they only want the 300 games milestone".
x2 very few people get to play 300 games in the NRL it is something to be applauded not ridiculed
Its even more impressive when there arent any finals matches figured into the calculations :roll:

TigerSJ

Post by TigerSJ » Thu 18 Oct, 2018 9:37 pm

As I have already expressed in response to previous posts bagging Farah and Benji's initial recruitment for 2018 and subsequent 2019 re-signing.... my thoughts are:
1) Taken in the context of where we were as a squad and as a club - both signings were appropriate and made for reasons that suited the Tigers at the time. Benji adds a lot to the Tigers in many facets - not just on the field and I think he himself expressed many times that the plan was not for him to be the starting 5/8th in so many games this season and certainly not the plan for next season. Benji won us games in the early part of the season before he started carrying injuries into games. I am confident that those games would not have been won with Reynolds directing the team. It was evident that he was injured in the latter part of the season but we had few options to replace him.
2) Naming Gamble or Mbye as superior 5/8th choices is simply unrealistic
3) Farah was added to the roster pre 30th June at a time when it was obvious Liddle wasn't going to cut it for us due to injury. We had space, needed a hooker, and he was the best option to fill it. Anyone who thinks that the team didn't look better with him on the field is not being impartial.
4) It is clear that they both are seen as senior players, mentors and leaders with a deep love for the club and I think with the current pending coaching changes their presence in the playing group will be positive for the squad .