Maguire turns to Marshall and Farah..

Wests Tigers Discussion
Geo.

Maguire turns to Marshall and Farah..

Post by Geo. » Thu 13 Dec, 2018 9:18 am

Wests Tigers coach Michael Maguire to lean heavily on the experience of Robbie Farah and Benji Marshall
Dean Ritchie, The Daily Telegraph
December 13, 2018 7:00am

They won a premiership together in 2005 as fresh-faced kids who inspired a generation of Wests Tigers fans.

Now Benji Marshall, 33, and Robbie Farah, 34, have been given the green light to inspire the next generation of Tigers players on and off the field.

Coach Michael Maguire plans to use the experience gained from a combined 571 NRL games and knows he has them firmly seated on the bus and ready to provide direction.

“They will play a major part,” Maguire said. “Not only as players but also as mentors, coaches, how to be professional off the field, they will add a hell of a lot. A big impact that they’ll have is what they do off the field.

“Those two are what this club is all about.

“Senior players have a lot of knowledge and years of playing, Benji will work with the halves closely, with Robbie, we have a number of young hookers here so I see him getting around to those younger guys.

“And talking to the forwards, the lines they have to run. That’s what senior players do.

This seems like an eternity ago.
“When you talk about playing, we’ll keep assessing them as they go throughout the season but they will be there. As a group, we know it’s about performances and they are no different but they are buying right into what we’re doing.

“Both of them are talking in meetings. You can see they understand where we’re going. I will utilise them through their leadership. Experience gives you understanding and that’s a big part of what brings success. They have both won comps.

“Being able to impart that knowledge into the younger ones and to tell them what it takes week in, week out. They will help immensely in the things I do on and off the park.

“In this day and age, with the way players are looked after, careers are getting longer and longer. They way they’re training at the moment, they definitely aren’t showing any signs of that (getting old).

“They will play a big part, even moving ahead into the future. They have tasted success and success is something they want again. That’s what we’re trying to build.”

Sharks standing by Flanagan
Maguire, in his role as the New Zealand Test coach, had wanted Marshall to tour England in October and November. Marshall opted to stay at home and rest to prepare for next season.

Maguire also said he had a strong relationship with Farah through their days together at Souths.

“I have known both of them for quite some time,” Maguire said. “I spoke to Benji about potentially coming on the Kiwi tour, but he wanted to get his body right for one more year, to have another crack.

“In Robbie’s case, I had some good times when he came to Souths. He understands how I work and the systems. He is really good with the younger guys.”

Marshall and Farah have been training strongly at Concord since Wests Tigers returned from an off-season break last month.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... gqHJTyGT-g
Wests Tigers don't need a Coach.. The playing group has taken over..
happy tiger wrote:
Thu 25 Oct, 2018 12:17 am
OK I was wrong
happy tiger wrote:
Thu 22 Nov, 2018 12:13 am
I know at times I'm not always the brightest light in the kitchen

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Thu 13 Dec, 2018 9:19 am

Someone check on happy..Looks like Madge is more than happy Marshal and Farah are on board..
Wests Tigers don't need a Coach.. The playing group has taken over..
happy tiger wrote:
Thu 25 Oct, 2018 12:17 am
OK I was wrong
happy tiger wrote:
Thu 22 Nov, 2018 12:13 am
I know at times I'm not always the brightest light in the kitchen

momo&medo

Post by momo&medo » Thu 13 Dec, 2018 10:28 am

I think Madge is aware that:-

They are the very foundations to this Club.
Despite their age they still give all and perform well.
To take them out of our top 30 squad for next year and you are left without the quality that arouses emotion and sentiment..... the very soul of WT Club.
They will do just fine for the 12 months on horizon.
Then WT can look to other options with a clear conscience.

cqtiger

Post by cqtiger » Thu 13 Dec, 2018 11:14 am

I read that and thought Madge was quite happy to have them as mentors and coaches for the younger guys coming through. However, I agree with Happy, if they both play the majority of the season I think we are in trouble.

This year I saw good things from them but I saw more bad things too. Neither are game managers and their strengths are not as strong anymore.

We need Reynolds and Liddle to be playing more minutes next year. Fingers crossed.
If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said a faster horse
– Henry Ford

Tiger Steve

Post by Tiger Steve » Thu 13 Dec, 2018 11:34 am

Could mean more 3rd tackle kicks😜
“Peanuts! Get ya peanuts - in the shell or sugar coated!” Leichhardt memories.

Earl

Post by Earl » Thu 13 Dec, 2018 11:51 am

cqtiger wrote:
Thu 13 Dec, 2018 11:14 am
I read that and thought Madge was quite happy to have them as mentors and coaches for the younger guys coming through. However, I agree with Happy, if they both play the majority of the season I think we are in trouble.

This year I saw good things from them but I saw more bad things too. Neither are game managers and their strengths are not as strong anymore.

We need Reynolds and Liddle to be playing more minutes next year. Fingers crossed.
I read that article as you did. I view these guys as guys we don't want in the top side. Their game management is at best terrible. I can just picture Robbie running from dummy half with a 50 man overlap and Benji kicking out on the full on the 1st tackle.
Last edited by Earl on Thu 13 Dec, 2018 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheDaBoss

Post by TheDaBoss » Thu 13 Dec, 2018 12:01 pm

Earl wrote:
Thu 13 Dec, 2018 11:51 am
cqtiger wrote:
Thu 13 Dec, 2018 11:14 am

I read that article as you did. I view this guys as guys we don't want in the top side. Their game management is at best terrible. I can just picture Robbie running from dummy half with a 50 man overlap and Benji kicking out on the full on the 1st tackle.
Ben hunt *cough* :roll
:sign: + :deadhorse: = Ivan in a nutshell

tonza

Post by tonza » Thu 13 Dec, 2018 12:26 pm

I dont think either are on big coin. I expect Marshall to be a back up only. Farah on the other hand will get more game time. Most clubs would kill to get players of their quality as back up in case of injury. I seem to remember Farah running 50 meters from dummy half last year and none of our players could catch him to support. The hide of him.

colmcd

Post by colmcd » Thu 13 Dec, 2018 12:35 pm

Man this is all good, Farah and Benji need to educate the new breed in the WT ways.

Rule 1. No defense after scoring a try, EVER.
Rule 2. When close to the line and 4 tackles to go, Pass Pass Pass!
Rule 3. Going forward is never preferable to going sideways!

Yes I am joking. I am glad that Farah and Benji will be part of the team next year. Benji is that perfect reserve half option. Farah can still tackle and the guy puts on 100% every game (even if we loose, if I see the guys putting 100%. Hats off). They are both champions and I am glad to have them back.