Page 1 of 1

Re: Soccer talk and Banter , keep it all here

Posted: Fri 26 Jan, 2018 5:43 pm
by happy tiger
Cultured Bogan wrote:
Fri 26 Jan, 2018 9:44 am
happy tiger wrote:
Fri 26 Jan, 2018 12:39 am
Marshall_magic wrote:
Thu 25 Jan, 2018 11:55 pm
happy tiger wrote:
Sat 20 Jan, 2018 1:21 am
Soccer Australia and the next coach must be concerned with the Tim Cahill situation

If he can't find a new club in the next 3-4 weeks I can't see how Australia can take him to the World Cup

And Australia without Tim Cahill better find a goal scorer real quick
With the new manager being a short term proposition I can see Cahill going. I doubt BVM will care what happens after he leaves and will select the best 23 players for now. I think Cahill will fit in with the physical style of football he will look to play. Apart from his goal scoring, Cahill's next best attribute is how hard he likes to go into a challenge.
Apart from a couple of good years as the Dutch coach he has been very underwhelming as a coach in Europe

Most Australian will read he has coached a side that made a WC final and think he is the bees knees

Far from it in my opinion , couldn't tie Guus's shoes in my humble opinion
Turned the Saudis around. Points for that.
I think quality wise our group has gone backwards quite dramatically in the last 6-8 years

Saudis haven't improved but haven't gone backwards either

Re: Soccer talk and Banter , keep it all here

Posted: Fri 26 Jan, 2018 7:19 pm
by Marshall_magic
happy tiger wrote:
Fri 26 Jan, 2018 12:39 am
Marshall_magic wrote:
Thu 25 Jan, 2018 11:55 pm
happy tiger wrote:
Sat 20 Jan, 2018 1:21 am
Soccer Australia and the next coach must be concerned with the Tim Cahill situation

If he can't find a new club in the next 3-4 weeks I can't see how Australia can take him to the World Cup

And Australia without Tim Cahill better find a goal scorer real quick
With the new manager being a short term proposition I can see Cahill going. I doubt BVM will care what happens after he leaves and will select the best 23 players for now. I think Cahill will fit in with the physical style of football he will look to play. Apart from his goal scoring, Cahill's next best attribute is how hard he likes to go into a challenge.
Apart from a couple of good years as the Dutch coach he has been very underwhelming as a coach in Europe

Most Australian will read he has coached a side that made a WC final and think he is the bees knees

Far from it in my opinion , couldn't tie Guus's shoes in my humble opinion
Bert got a very average Saudi team to the world cup as well. He's also going to have some level of knowledge about the Australian team, he played them twice in qualification. His club form is passable as well, a UEFA Cup win is nothing to sneeze at. His world cup final was impressive, and a 116th minute winner was what it took for one of the best international teams of all time to win it (granted his Dutch team was very strong as well). The egos of the Dutch are always their downfall, which probably did him in in 2012.

Hiddink's last few appointments haven't gone very well. I don't think he's a viable option at the moment, he may know about players like Cahill, Mooy, Ryan, Jedinak who have played in the premier league, but I can't see him knowing enough to be able to get it together in 5 months for us. Plus he is in his 70s and hasn't had a fulltime role since he was a caretaker manager at Chelsea between Jose & Conte.

Re: Soccer talk and Banter , keep it all here

Posted: Fri 26 Jan, 2018 9:04 pm
by Cultured Bogan
happy tiger wrote:
Fri 26 Jan, 2018 5:43 pm
Cultured Bogan wrote:
Fri 26 Jan, 2018 9:44 am
happy tiger wrote:
Fri 26 Jan, 2018 12:39 am
Marshall_magic wrote:
Thu 25 Jan, 2018 11:55 pm


With the new manager being a short term proposition I can see Cahill going. I doubt BVM will care what happens after he leaves and will select the best 23 players for now. I think Cahill will fit in with the physical style of football he will look to play. Apart from his goal scoring, Cahill's next best attribute is how hard he likes to go into a challenge.
Apart from a couple of good years as the Dutch coach he has been very underwhelming as a coach in Europe

Most Australian will read he has coached a side that made a WC final and think he is the bees knees

Far from it in my opinion , couldn't tie Guus's shoes in my humble opinion
Turned the Saudis around. Points for that.
I think quality wise our group has gone backwards quite dramatically in the last 6-8 years

Saudis haven't improved but haven't gone backwards either
They were 80th in the world when he took them on in '15, they're now 63rd.

They've improved.

FYI we're 36th now also.

Tunisia are 23rd?!

Re: Soccer talk and Banter , keep it all here

Posted: Fri 26 Jan, 2018 9:11 pm
by Cultured Bogan
Marshall_magic wrote:
Fri 26 Jan, 2018 7:19 pm
happy tiger wrote:
Fri 26 Jan, 2018 12:39 am
Marshall_magic wrote:
Thu 25 Jan, 2018 11:55 pm
happy tiger wrote:
Sat 20 Jan, 2018 1:21 am
Soccer Australia and the next coach must be concerned with the Tim Cahill situation

If he can't find a new club in the next 3-4 weeks I can't see how Australia can take him to the World Cup

And Australia without Tim Cahill better find a goal scorer real quick
With the new manager being a short term proposition I can see Cahill going. I doubt BVM will care what happens after he leaves and will select the best 23 players for now. I think Cahill will fit in with the physical style of football he will look to play. Apart from his goal scoring, Cahill's next best attribute is how hard he likes to go into a challenge.
Apart from a couple of good years as the Dutch coach he has been very underwhelming as a coach in Europe

Most Australian will read he has coached a side that made a WC final and think he is the bees knees

Far from it in my opinion , couldn't tie Guus's shoes in my humble opinion
Bert got a very average Saudi team to the world cup as well. He's also going to have some level of knowledge about the Australian team, he played them twice in qualification. His club form is passable as well, a UEFA Cup win is nothing to sneeze at. His world cup final was impressive, and a 116th minute winner was what it took for one of the best international teams of all time to win it (granted his Dutch team was very strong as well). The egos of the Dutch are always their downfall, which probably did him in in 2012.

Hiddink's last few appointments haven't gone very well. I don't think he's a viable option at the moment, he may know about players like Cahill, Mooy, Ryan, Jedinak who have played in the premier league, but I can't see him knowing enough to be able to get it together in 5 months for us. Plus he is in his 70s and hasn't had a fulltime role since he was a caretaker manager at Chelsea between Jose & Conte.
Agreed, he got the Saudis to qualify immediately, and the game has passed Guus by now.

If it means Troisi, Milligan and Kruse never play for us again, I'm OK with it.

Re: Soccer talk and Banter , keep it all here

Posted: Fri 26 Jan, 2018 10:51 pm
by happy tiger
Marshall_magic wrote:
Fri 26 Jan, 2018 7:19 pm
happy tiger wrote:
Fri 26 Jan, 2018 12:39 am
Marshall_magic wrote:
Thu 25 Jan, 2018 11:55 pm
happy tiger wrote:
Sat 20 Jan, 2018 1:21 am
Soccer Australia and the next coach must be concerned with the Tim Cahill situation

If he can't find a new club in the next 3-4 weeks I can't see how Australia can take him to the World Cup

And Australia without Tim Cahill better find a goal scorer real quick
With the new manager being a short term proposition I can see Cahill going. I doubt BVM will care what happens after he leaves and will select the best 23 players for now. I think Cahill will fit in with the physical style of football he will look to play. Apart from his goal scoring, Cahill's next best attribute is how hard he likes to go into a challenge.
Apart from a couple of good years as the Dutch coach he has been very underwhelming as a coach in Europe

Most Australian will read he has coached a side that made a WC final and think he is the bees knees

Far from it in my opinion , couldn't tie Guus's shoes in my humble opinion
Bert got a very average Saudi team to the world cup as well. He's also going to have some level of knowledge about the Australian team, he played them twice in qualification. His club form is passable as well, a UEFA Cup win is nothing to sneeze at. His world cup final was impressive, and a 116th minute winner was what it took for one of the best international teams of all time to win it (granted his Dutch team was very strong as well). The egos of the Dutch are always their downfall, which probably did him in in 2012.

Hiddink's last few appointments haven't gone very well. I don't think he's a viable option at the moment, he may know about players like Cahill, Mooy, Ryan, Jedinak who have played in the premier league, but I can't see him knowing enough to be able to get it together in 5 months for us. Plus he is in his 70s and hasn't had a fulltime role since he was a caretaker manager at Chelsea between Jose & Conte.
Was meaning when both in prime , not now

Avram Grant is better now than Guus :roll

Re: Soccer talk and Banter , keep it all here

Posted: Fri 26 Jan, 2018 11:26 pm
by Marshall_magic
Guus may not be up to it anymore, but he's still better than Grant. Grant is shocking.

As for the Cahill point, looks like he's on his way back to Milwall. If he wants to go to Russia this is a good move for him.

Re: Soccer talk and Banter , keep it all here

Posted: Sat 27 Jan, 2018 12:27 am
by happy tiger
Marshall_magic wrote:
Fri 26 Jan, 2018 11:26 pm
Guus may not be up to it anymore, but he's still better than Grant. Grant is shocking.

As for the Cahill point, looks like he's on his way back to Milwall. If he wants to go to Russia this is a good move for him.
Millwall has continually denied it

It ain't going to be easy to like Cahill if he goes to Millwall for this little black duck

Talking EPL , WHU can't take a treat , lose 5 strikers in 3 weeks to injury , best case we might get Arnautovic and Lanzini back in a month

Carroll and Antonio could be season enders , unsure on Sakho

The only striker left is Chicarito and Moyes would of traded him if he could of in the January window

Like the look of Joao Mario signing , no doubt with our luck he will break his leg getting off the team bus :bawling :deadhorse: :brick:

Re: Soccer talk and Banter , keep it all here

Posted: Sat 27 Jan, 2018 1:04 am
by Marshall_magic
happy tiger wrote:
Sat 27 Jan, 2018 12:27 am
Marshall_magic wrote:
Fri 26 Jan, 2018 11:26 pm
Guus may not be up to it anymore, but he's still better than Grant. Grant is shocking.

As for the Cahill point, looks like he's on his way back to Milwall. If he wants to go to Russia this is a good move for him.
Millwall has continually denied it

It ain't going to be easy to like Cahill if he goes to Millwall for this little black duck

Talking EPL , WHU can't take a treat , lose 5 strikers in 3 weeks to injury , best case we might get Arnautovic and Lanzini back in a month

Carroll and Antonio could be season enders , unsure on Sakho

The only striker left is Chicarito and Moyes would of traded him if he could of in the January window

Like the look of Joao Mario signing , no doubt with our luck he will break his leg getting off the team bus :bawling :deadhorse: :brick:
Reports from both Aus and Eng suggesting it will happen, looking likely. I don't think he would go to a team in the prem, he hasn't got the legs for it anymore and he won't get much game time, but I can see him getting time in the championship.

As for West Ham, I would move Chicarito on, I don't think he's suited to a team like West Ham (or a manager like Moyes), get some $$$ in and free up the wages to get a proper striker. Sadly I think your owners would rather have names than the right players (Joe Hart? Really?)

Re: Soccer talk and Banter , keep it all here

Posted: Sat 27 Jan, 2018 1:37 am
by happy tiger
Marshall_magic wrote:
Sat 27 Jan, 2018 1:04 am
happy tiger wrote:
Sat 27 Jan, 2018 12:27 am
Marshall_magic wrote:
Fri 26 Jan, 2018 11:26 pm
Guus may not be up to it anymore, but he's still better than Grant. Grant is shocking.

As for the Cahill point, looks like he's on his way back to Milwall. If he wants to go to Russia this is a good move for him.
Millwall has continually denied it

It ain't going to be easy to like Cahill if he goes to Millwall for this little black duck

Talking EPL , WHU can't take a treat , lose 5 strikers in 3 weeks to injury , best case we might get Arnautovic and Lanzini back in a month

Carroll and Antonio could be season enders , unsure on Sakho

The only striker left is Chicarito and Moyes would of traded him if he could of in the January window

Like the look of Joao Mario signing , no doubt with our luck he will break his leg getting off the team bus :bawling :deadhorse: :brick:
Reports from both Aus and Eng suggesting it will happen, looking likely. I don't think he would go to a team in the prem, he hasn't got the legs for it anymore and he won't get much game time, but I can see him getting time in the championship.

As for West Ham, I would move Chicarito on, I don't think he's suited to a team like West Ham (or a manager like Moyes), get some $$$ in and free up the wages to get a proper striker. Sadly I think your owners would rather have names than the right players (Joe Hart? Really?)
Joe hasn't been No 1 keeper for a while now , thankfully Adrian has found his 2016 form

We can't move Chicarito on MM , we literally have no one else , we are like the pub with no beer , the club with no strikers

Bit of talk about Ings and Sturridge , but only talk

They were looking at the Russian striker Frodor (spelling) but talk has dried up

Re: Soccer talk and Banter , keep it all here

Posted: Sat 27 Jan, 2018 10:05 pm
by Marshall_magic
Joe is an average keeper and has been for a while, no idea why a team would fork out for his wages, unless you wanted him as a name.

Maybe use Chicarito in a swap deal, he is not a goo striker in my opinion, he is a fox in the box. If you find him in the box he will bang them in, but he won't do the other things good strikers do (make clever runs, hold the ball up or press from the front)

Re: Soccer talk and Banter , keep it all here

Posted: Sat 27 Jan, 2018 10:37 pm
by Cultured Bogan
Chicarito is a six yard shark.

Re: Soccer talk and Banter , keep it all here

Posted: Sat 27 Jan, 2018 11:08 pm
by happy tiger
Cultured Bogan wrote:
Sat 27 Jan, 2018 10:37 pm
Chicarito is a six yard shark.
Hope so , the only striker we have at the moment :(

Re: Soccer talk and Banter , keep it all here

Posted: Sat 27 Jan, 2018 11:21 pm
by Marshall_magic
Cultured Bogan wrote:
Sat 27 Jan, 2018 10:37 pm
Chicarito is a six yard shark.
This, at United he was a hit because you can put him on with players like Rooney who can find him in the box.

Re: Soccer talk and Banter , keep it all here

Posted: Wed 31 Jan, 2018 2:02 am
by happy tiger
Cahill to Millwall , glad he found a club , but why Millwall

Re: Soccer talk and Banter , keep it all here

Posted: Wed 31 Jan, 2018 2:07 pm
by tiger_one
happy tiger wrote:
Wed 31 Jan, 2018 2:02 am
Cahill to Millwall , glad he found a club , but why Millwall

Tim played there from his teenage years - "But the now 38-year-old, who scored 57 goals in 251 appearances for Millwall between 1998 and 2004"......

And they say you should never go back to an old girlfriend!

Re: Soccer talk and Banter , keep it all here

Posted: Wed 31 Jan, 2018 2:50 pm
by Geo.
happy tiger wrote:
Wed 31 Jan, 2018 2:02 am
Cahill to Millwall , glad he found a club , but why Millwall
Cause West Ham suk..

Re: Soccer talk and Banter , keep it all here

Posted: Wed 31 Jan, 2018 4:48 pm
by Harvey
happy tiger wrote:
Wed 31 Jan, 2018 2:02 am
Cahill to Millwall , glad he found a club , but why Millwall
Isn't London's biggest nursing home there?

Re: Soccer talk and Banter , keep it all here

Posted: Wed 31 Jan, 2018 5:37 pm
by Cultured Bogan
Millwall and League One are still a much higher calibre than Melbourne City and the A-League.

If he is getting minutes there it's only a good thing for us.