Cricket Season Thread

Jazza

Re: Cricket Season Thread

Post by Jazza » Mon 04 Oct, 2010 1:49 am

Good fightback by the Aussies.

India dominated most of the day yet the Aussies fought back to even get a 1st innings lead.

While the pitch may be ordinary for Test cricket, it could throw up a tight result that gets decided in the final session.

I'd say with it being a slow pitch, the best chance of a win would be to set India a difficult, but tempting target that could result in some wickets if they attack it.

If we set them a target that is out of reach, then I think it'll be a draw as it seems very difficult to get batsman out unless they are playing shots and going hard at the ball, because of the low bounce. Gambhir, Dravid, Tendulkar and Laxman all have a rock solid defence to fall back on.

The problem is with Sehwag there, that could scare Ponting into delaying a declaration (If he does have that chance), which would then make up the Indian's mind to play for the draw.

I think a target of about 315 with a day to go (90 overs = 3.5 rpo required) would set things up for a great final day.

I must admit I am a bit worried about our batting though, we came close to collapse in the first innings with Watson and Paine holding things together and I think if we lose a couple of early wickets, then there could be some real big problems.
Gee its grouse at hardware house!

redemption

Post by redemption » Mon 04 Oct, 2010 2:19 am

The singular worst Aussie team since the Hughes captaincy!!!

Jazza

Post by Jazza » Mon 04 Oct, 2010 8:28 pm

Jazza wrote: I must admit I am a bit worried about our batting though, we came close to collapse in the first innings with Watson and Paine holding things together and I think if we lose a couple of early wickets, then there could be some real big problems.
My worries have come true :(

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Tue 05 Oct, 2010 7:16 pm

Wow I think they should call themselves Wests Tigers....

Single worst team against the Powerhouse Indian's just played one of the best TEST i've seen in ages...

Made the Ashes last year look like St Felix Under 12.s

Well Done Aussies......played in great spirit...

Oh and Billy..he didn't hit it and he was plum...
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Tue 05 Oct, 2010 7:30 pm

Love a buck for every time the comm.'s mentioned the word ''tension''

Great game....Ojah breathes a sigh of relief, any other result its probably his last day on earth...maybe they can douse, string up & ignite Billy instead

citizen cub

Post by citizen cub » Tue 05 Oct, 2010 7:37 pm

TERRIBLE field placements in the last hour, should've set an attacking field for Sharma, also NO fine leg and NO third man, unbelievable there would've been about 20 runs that went down that area and he completely ignored it, when you've got arsy tale enders getting arsy edges you need a third man or fine leg to stop boundaries. Not having Bollinger available hurt us, he bought Hilfenhaus on WAY too late, had an immediate impact when he did come back on with the wicket of Sharma.
With Wests in the finals, ANYTHING'S POSSIBLE

Marshall_magic

Post by Marshall_magic » Tue 05 Oct, 2010 8:12 pm

Again a tailender (Sharma) makes a solid score which ends up hurting us. Ponting is an inept Captain, hopefully we win the Ashes and he retires after it (and takes North and Hussey with him).

Jazza

Post by Jazza » Tue 05 Oct, 2010 11:09 pm

Agree with you guys.

I didnt see the last days play (Damn work!), but Ponting NEVER has a 3rd man, I lost count how many times the Indians in the first innings, particularly Tendulkar and Dravid got cheap 4s in that region.

I can understand a bit in Australia where the ball is more likely to carry to the slips but it is just plain dumb not to have a 3rd man in India when the ball doesnt carry and you dont have many slips in place.

Im worried about our team because Warne, McGrath, Langer and Martyn retired 4 years ago now, Gilchrist retired 3 years ago. Yet despite that, we dont seem to be improving results wise. Our bowling is improving, but our batting, we seem to be collapsing every 2nd Test match:

- Bowled out for 192 against India
- 82 against Pakistan
- 240 odd against a weak NZ attack when we cruising
- The Sydney Test vs Pakistan
- In Perth against the West Indies when we were bowled out for about 140
- Even in the previous Test before that, the openers put on about 180 yet they were bowled out for about 400.
- Then of course there was the Ashes where we collapsed 3 times and it cost us 2 Test matches
- Even on tour of South Africa, in the last Test, the openers put on about 70, bowled out for 200
- A similar thing happened in the first Test on that tour as well.

We may have lost Warne and McGrath but that doesnt excuse the batting collapses.
When you got 3 middle order batsman who have been struggling the last 3 years in Ponting, Hussey (His career average is on the verge of dipping below 50 for the first time), and North. Collapses are going to happen.
I think soon they will need to bring in Hughes for Hussey, and either Khawaja or Smith for North.

tig_prmz

Post by tig_prmz » Tue 05 Oct, 2010 11:46 pm

Sorry guys, Proud to be an Indian today!

And, also the Commonwealth games! so proud!!!

Also, please dont say something like you live in Australia, and still cheer on about India. sick of that comment :D
My Round 1 Team 2018

1. lolo 2. noffa 3. suli 4. milne 5. fonua
6. reynolds 7. brooks
8. packer 9. ET 10. Twal
11. McQuen 12. Lawrence 13. Eiso
14. Matulino 15. McIllwrick 16. Sue 17. Aloiai
18. Marsters 19. Benji 20. Grant 21. K Naiqama
Next: Liddle, MCK, Felise, MWZ, Thompson, Rochow, Gamble

Jazza

Post by Jazza » Wed 06 Oct, 2010 12:07 am

tig_prmz wrote: Also, please dont say something like you live in Australia, and still cheer on about India. sick of that comment :D
Dont worry, I save that comment for my mate that has Paki background and goes for em, plus my mate who's family is Pom except for him ;)

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Wed 06 Oct, 2010 12:12 am

Great win tig_prmz...good to be proud...

As for the rest of the knockers..I know it's a generational thing...

Perhaps you should pack ya bats and balls and head off to the Final Frontier as so aptly called by the legendary Tugga himself...You should carve up over there...

Bagging players...uncool...
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..

stryker

Post by stryker » Wed 06 Oct, 2010 8:03 am

Geo. wrote:Bagging players...uncool...
Total agreeance here Geo.

This is our first test in yonks and I think the boys played pretty well. A 1 wicket loss v India at home is a good start.

I think all the young people on this forum have been spoilt in their cricket watching with the etraordinary teams Australia has produced over the past decade or more.

I can remember a time when it was a big thing for us to win consecutive tests.

The boys will be alright....give them a break.

citizen cub

Post by citizen cub » Wed 06 Oct, 2010 11:50 am

Siddle may find it very hard to get himself back into the test team. The bowling was superb up until the 8th wicket fell, Hilfenhaus in particular and the encouraging thing is all the pace men are all still in their 20's.

Assuming 'dead wood' like Hussey and North leave within the next year or so, I think we'll have a great team. Bring in Hughes and Marsh, put Watson back in the middle order, there you go.

Juro

Post by Juro » Wed 06 Oct, 2010 11:59 am

It's true that we have been spoiled over the last 15 or so years. Australia was always on top of the table. Now we aren't even in the top 3 test nations and if we lose the next test, I think we will even fall below England. But I also think this makes it more interesting. I want the Australian team to fight their hardest to climb back to the top.

By the way, excellent test match, win, lose or draw. That level of excitement over several hours can never be captured by twenty20 cricket.
I've been a member since 2012. We last played finals football in 2011. Just saying...

magpie mania

Post by magpie mania » Wed 06 Oct, 2010 12:07 pm

citizen cub wrote:siddle may find it very hard to get himself back into the test team. The bowling was superb up until the 8th wicket fell, hilfenhaus in particular and the encouraging thing is all the pace men are all still in their 20's.

Assuming 'dead wood' like hussey and north leave within the next year or so, i think we'll have a great team. Bring in hughes and marsh, put watson back in the middle order, there you go.

steve smith and phil hughes are your men.

Tiger Watto

Post by Tiger Watto » Wed 06 Oct, 2010 12:08 pm

citizen cub wrote:Siddle may find it very hard to get himself back into the test team. The bowling was superb up until the 8th wicket fell, Hilfenhaus in particular and the encouraging thing is all the pace men are all still in their 20's.

Assuming 'dead wood' like Hussey and North leave within the next year or so, I think we'll have a great team. Bring in Hughes and Marsh, put Watson back in the middle order, there you go.
I'm presumming Hussey and Ponting will retire after the Ashes, but maybe Punter will go through to the World Cup mid next year?
"Did someone buy you the internet hero play book for Christmas and you've only just started reading it?" - Nelson 21/04/2017

magpie mania

Post by magpie mania » Wed 06 Oct, 2010 12:13 pm

tig_prmz wrote:sorry guys, proud to be an indian today!

And, also the commonwealth games! So proud!!!

Also, please dont say something like you live in australia, and still cheer on about india. Sick of that comment :d

well if your sick of that comment maybe youll find india a nicer place to live and you will be less sick there.

citizen cub

Post by citizen cub » Wed 06 Oct, 2010 12:16 pm

Tiger Watto wrote:
citizen cub wrote:Siddle may find it very hard to get himself back into the test team. The bowling was superb up until the 8th wicket fell, Hilfenhaus in particular and the encouraging thing is all the pace men are all still in their 20's.

I'm presumming Hussey and Ponting will retire after the Ashes, but maybe Punter will go through to the World Cup mid next year?

Hussey might, I doubt Ponting will, you know he's considering going to the 2013 ashes?