Cricket Season Thread

maxxy86

Re: Cricket Season Thread

Post by maxxy86 » Sat 29 Dec, 2018 9:08 am

Cultured Bogan wrote:
Fri 28 Dec, 2018 10:24 pm
Finch will never make it as a Test cricketer.
Think he’d be must better used as a middle order batsman. As K O’Keefe has said his back lift is way to high, something he’d have to work on if he was to continue to open. However I think there’s better candidates out there. Burns has to be given a go or Renshaw but to be honest we need more RHB imo.
Well its nearly time to have a 'CRACK'....Go you :sign:

Harvey

Post by Harvey » Sat 29 Dec, 2018 10:54 am

maxxy86 wrote:
Sat 29 Dec, 2018 9:02 am
Harvey wrote:
Fri 28 Dec, 2018 10:23 pm
If Australia lose this test (which is likely) the series is gone. I would make changes for the Sydney test & Sri Lanka series is a chance to blood some youth.

Burns or Hughes in for Finch, Labuschagne could replace M Marsh at the SCG, Patterson/Pucovski/Lehman/Weatherald could be considered to replace Shaun Marsh. I would even prefer Maxwell to him.

If things get desperate, we could always recall Hilton Cartwright.

In all honesty, Australian cricket is really in a rut. When you look at Shield cricket, the majority of innings this year (even when test players were available) have seen totals of less than 300 posted.
Really glad you’ve mentioned H Cartwright....could see him battting 5 or 6 and bowling some overs aswell.
I was actually joking. I can't understand how he ever got selected.

He is averaging 25 in 1st class cricket this year over 11 innings (including 84 not out) & has bowled 11 overs. If looking for an all-rounder, I would consider Stoinis or Wildermuth ahead of him.

coivtny
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by coivtny » Sat 29 Dec, 2018 11:45 am

OMG we cannot pick Finch in Test cricket again. He might be OK as a white ball cricketer but he looks inept at Test level. I've not seen a less convincing Test batsman for a long while. His demeanour when batting is of a batsman waiting to get out. We're not blessed with too many options in Australia at the moment but we have to try someone else.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Sat 29 Dec, 2018 11:57 am

Tiger Steve wrote:
Fri 28 Dec, 2018 11:33 pm
GNR4LIFE wrote:
Fri 28 Dec, 2018 10:36 pm
I don't see what the fuss is about with Harris. I feel sorry for Renshaw. The guy did nothing wrong.
From my perspective, I like Harris’ technique. I think he has the game to make it as an opener against quality bowling. But I’d agree that Renshaw is similar- his failure was not scoring runs in early shield games this year. But he was not alone there.
He has a lot of pressure on him , his opening partner isn't getting runs and they aren't scoring at a great rate either

He'd be far better of with Khawaja opening with him imo

Khawaja might as well be opening , he is usually in within the first 5 overs anyway

eyewonder

Post by eyewonder » Sat 29 Dec, 2018 12:21 pm

finch must be nervous about getting picked to play for Australia again.
but so should harris, the two marshes and travis head.
gunna be an important day for all these blokes - if the batting doesn't perform today you would think that changes will have to be made for the last test.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » Sat 29 Dec, 2018 12:32 pm

Tiger Steve wrote:
Fri 28 Dec, 2018 9:39 pm
Yossarian wrote:
Fri 28 Dec, 2018 9:29 pm
Tiger Steve wrote:
Fri 28 Dec, 2018 8:21 pm
Yossarian wrote:
Fri 28 Dec, 2018 5:10 pm

Bancroft is terrible. Nowhere near test standard as of now. I know Khawaja is in a slump and he’s disappointed this series but he’s twice the batsman Bancroft is.

Harris hmm... For me it’s down to him or Burns to open.

Khawaja first drop.
S Smith at 5

Then it’s wide open. Possibly Head at 5. At 6 I’d almost take a punt on Patterson, Jake Lehmann etc. Handscomb seems to have the yips and unless he gloves up he’s got to start making runs. The Marshes we all know about. Mitch is not a top 6 test bat. He’s barely a shield top 6.

I’d seriously consider taking Pukovski to tour. He’s a gun big time. Bats 3 for Victoria. Could be the answer at 6.
I can accept Bancroft and Khawaja comments.
So.....
Harris
Warner
Khawaja
Smith
Head
Burns/Lehmann/??????
As a compromise!
That looks more solid! 2nd opener and 5-6 are going to be an issue. I’d go:

Warner
Burns
Khawaja
Smith
Head
Patterson/Lehmann/Pukovski

It may depend on the final shield games. We’ve all seen enough of the Marshes surely...
I also like your idea of youth - Pukivski and there’s another 20 year old - can’t remember name????
Sangha

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » Sat 29 Dec, 2018 12:43 pm

Harvey wrote:
Sat 29 Dec, 2018 10:54 am
maxxy86 wrote:
Harvey wrote:
If Australia lose this test (which is likely) the series is gone. I would make changes for the Sydney test & Sri Lanka series is a chance to blood some youth.

Burns or Hughes in for Finch, Labuschagne could replace M Marsh at the SCG, Patterson/Pucovski/Lehman/Weatherald could be considered to replace Shaun Marsh. I would even prefer Maxwell to him.

In all honesty, Australian cricket is really in a rut. When you look at Shield cricket, the majority of innings this year (even when test players were available) have seen totals of less than 300 posted.
Really glad you’ve mentioned H Cartwright....could see him battting 5 or 6 and bowling some overs aswell.

He is averaging 25 in 1st class cricket this year over 11 innings (including 84 not out) & has bowled 11 overs. If looking for an all-rounder, I would consider Stoinis or Wildermuth ahead of him.
Agreed. Cartwright isn’t a top 6 bat and he’s a dubious bowler. Not sure why we remain obsessed with allrounders at 6 given our batting woes. Go back to picking the best 6 bats. Someone in that bunch is bound to be able to roll the arm over. But if they must Stoinis, Maxwell or even Henriques are better options than Cartwright or M Marsh

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Sat 29 Dec, 2018 12:59 pm

Yossarian wrote:
Sat 29 Dec, 2018 12:43 pm
Harvey wrote:
maxxy86 wrote:
Harvey wrote:

Agreed. Cartwright isn’t a top 6 bat and he’s a dubious bowler. Not sure why we remain obsessed with allrounders at 6 given our batting woes. Go back to picking the best 6 bats. Someone in that bunch is bound to be able to roll the arm over. But if they must Stoinis, Maxwell or even Henriques are better options than Cartwright or M Marsh
When Smith is back , you don't need an all rounder anyway

He under bowls himself in my opinion

We need to find some quickies as well , Starc and Hazelwood are only effective with the new ball

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Sat 29 Dec, 2018 1:48 pm

Sorry to say, the solution is not as simple as dropping player X and promoting player Y. The system has failed and needs an overheaul. And every batsman who has come through the system has been affected. In the last 10 years, Australia has only produced 2 true world class batsmen (Smith and Warner). The rest have made up the numbers. It’s actually probably closer to 15, as the only other 2 I can think of Are Clarke and M Hussey back in the mid 00’s. It’s not going to solve anything bringing Burns or Lehman, or whoever else in, because the results will be the same. The problems run deeper. The slate needs to be wiped clean, with a stronger emphasis on 4 day cricket.

Tiger Steve

Post by Tiger Steve » Sat 29 Dec, 2018 2:02 pm

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Sat 29 Dec, 2018 1:48 pm
Sorry to say, the solution is not as simple as dropping player X and promoting player Y. The system has failed and needs an overheaul. And every batsman who has come through the system has been affected. In the last 10 years, Australia has only produced 2 true world class batsmen (Smith and Warner). The rest have made up the numbers. It’s actually probably closer to 15, as the only other 2 I can think of Are Clarke and M Hussey back in the mid 00’s. It’s not going to solve anything bringing Burns or Lehman, or whoever else in, because the results will be the same. The problems run deeper. The slate needs to be wiped clean, with a stronger emphasis on 4 day cricket.
Good post
“Peanuts! Get ya peanuts - in the shell or sugar coated!” Leichhardt memories.

coivtny
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by coivtny » Sat 29 Dec, 2018 2:04 pm

GNR4LIFE wrote:
I agree with your last comment. Sheffield Shield should be the breeding ground to get our future Test players ready for Test cricket. It was for years but I think the standard has been poor for the past 10 years at least. When I first started following cricket our Test players played in most of the Sheffield Shield games. I remember watching Bobby Simpson score double and triple hundreds for NSW. Now they don't play any Shield games or maybe one at best. As a consequence the Shield has dropped in standard and doesn't bring the good players along as it once did.

Tiger Steve

Post by Tiger Steve » Sat 29 Dec, 2018 2:09 pm

coivtny wrote:
Sat 29 Dec, 2018 2:04 pm
GNR4LIFE wrote:
I agree with your last comment. Sheffield Shield should be the breeding ground to get our future Test players ready for Test cricket. It was for years but I think the standard has been poor for the past 10 years at least. When I first started following cricket our Test players played in most of the Sheffield Shield games. I remember watching Bobby Simpson score double and triple hundreds for NSW. Now they don't play any Shield games or maybe one at best. As a consequence the Shield has dropped in standard and doesn't bring the good players along as it once did.
So if we go deeper - the reason this is now the case is heavy scheduling at international level. Interestingly, the team that has sold out most fully to the 20 over game is India yet they are currently the best test team on the planet. Just luck or strategy? What are they doing that we aren’t?
“Peanuts! Get ya peanuts - in the shell or sugar coated!” Leichhardt memories.

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Sat 29 Dec, 2018 2:15 pm

coivtny wrote:
Sat 29 Dec, 2018 2:04 pm
GNR4LIFE wrote:
You can trace the downfall of Australia producing world class batsmen, pretty simulataniously with 20/20 taking off a decade ago. If they toned the BBL crap that now goes for nearly 3 months, and played more Shield, then you might see a change. It won’t though, the BBL is a golden goose. So expect the batting at Test level to continue to be mediocre.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » Sat 29 Dec, 2018 3:03 pm

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Maybe but people like Burns or Jake Lehman/Kurtis Patterson must shake their heads at the chances given to the Marshes. The latter two at least have some track record in making first class cricket.

maxxy86

Post by maxxy86 » Sat 29 Dec, 2018 3:11 pm

Harvey wrote:
maxxy86 wrote:
Harvey wrote:

Tests he av25 with the bat but first class it’s 37 with the bat and 36 with the ball
Well its nearly time to have a 'CRACK'....Go you :sign:

Wagga Tiger

Post by Wagga Tiger » Sat 29 Dec, 2018 3:21 pm

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Agree with every thing you said except the Warner thing, he’s not world class and was lucky to play test cricket. If the system wasn’t broken he may not have played test cricket.
20/20 is killing the game and the rubbish they are playing on isn’t helping. It’s time we got back to our cricket grounds being cricket grounds again, none of these drop in pitches and the poorAFL players can go back to skinning their knees on the pitch.

jadtiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by jadtiger » Sat 29 Dec, 2018 3:26 pm

Wagga Tiger wrote:
Sat 29 Dec, 2018 3:21 pm
GNR4LIFE wrote:
Agree with every thing you said except the Warner thing, he’s not world class and was lucky to play test cricket. If the system wasn’t broken he may not have played test cricket.
20/20 is killing the game and the rubbish they are playing on isn’t helping. It’s time we got back to our cricket grounds being cricket grounds again, none of these drop in pitches and the poorAFL players can go back to skinning their knees on the pitch.
Completely agree the hit and giggle has done an awful amount of harm to cricket and the ACB are responsible for most of this just chasing the dollar.T20 has its place but it should only represent about 5% of the cricket package imo

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Sat 29 Dec, 2018 4:37 pm

How about these idiot commentators claiming the MCG booed Mitch Marsh because he replaced a Victorian in Handscomb. Has to be an excuse, easier than flat out acknowledgeing that the public despise him. No one cares about Peter Handscomb. Delusional if that’s what they actually believe.