Wests Tigers Team v Cronulla

Harvey

Re: Wests Tigers Team v Cronulla

Post by Harvey » Thu 31 Mar, 2016 10:02 am

I think some people are going a bit overboard here. 50% win record. 1st 2 games were good, though do highlight that our bench is letting us down as teams are scoring points and making metres while they are on. Next 2 games were losses where I cannot see blame placed on one individual, but rather simple errors (largely dropped balls & pushes passes) right across the paddock. Some of the worst offenders were our senior players who no-one would consider dropping. Even the Warriors game 2/3 of their tries came off pushed passes going to ground and being picked up by NZ.
I do not agree with changes for changes sake, and while stats are one thing, I have not seen enough state cup to say that players there are performing at a standard far above the first graders. I think Edwards should get a go as he is a good 1st grade player. Am interested in how JAC, MCK, Dallas Graham, Griffin, Peni, Heleta & Cassell are going in all facets of the game, as I thought that they would be pushing for 1st grade spots this year. There is not a lot of true dead wood in the NSW cup side.

Tuiaki Chicken Wings

Post by Tuiaki Chicken Wings » Fri 01 Apr, 2016 1:28 pm

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Tigermama wrote:
GNR4LIFE wrote:
Tuiaki Chicken Wings wrote:Thats a bit stupid when you think about it. As for the team... Buchanan needs to be gone asap! Rankin needs to be following him...not a winger im sorry to say!! Lovett somehow gets picked how?? Somethings never change.
Having read TT's post back he actually did say MCK could have played, so idk. He should be ahead of Buchanan and Lovett. Another thing TT was saying, was that guys like Buchanan and Lovett are being picked cos they are popular in the dressing room, which is ridiculous if true.

And Hobbo, i think the word you meant was content, not contempt :D
Popular in the dressing room :shock:
What goes on in there i wonder... Love to be a fly on the wall! :mrgreen:
Milone is another whose kept around to keep the guys happy apparently. He's friends with Moses and Brooks, so it's probably a form of sucking up to get them to stay. Probably don't want to upset the little dears. A poisoness culture if true.
Boys club v2.0

Bob

Post by Bob » Fri 01 Apr, 2016 1:57 pm

Farah to start.

Source: news i'd copy the article but i've pretty much summarised it all above.

willow

Post by willow » Fri 01 Apr, 2016 9:09 pm

Farah to start against Sharks: Taylor
Fri 01 Apr, 2016, 11:15am
By Matt Encarnacion

Robbie Farah has been assured of starting in Wests Tigers' NRL clash against Cronulla on Saturday, ending coach Jason Taylor's curious three-hooker experiment after just one game.

Former skipper Farah was a late withdrawal from the starting line-up in last week's shutout loss to Parramatta, joining back-up rake Manaia Cherrington on the bench as veteran utility Dene Halatau was sent out as rake in the run-on side.

Taylor on Friday defended his decision to protect NSW hooker Farah, playing in his season debut, from the opening exchanges against the Eels, but confirmed he would start against the Sharks at Campbelltown Stadium.

"There was a lot of talk about that, but just keeping him out of that first 15 minutes, that was the right decision," Taylor said.

"We were really comfortable with that. It's tough out there at the moment.

"Robbie was asked to make a lot of tackles in a row and he and I have chatted about it - he'll be much better for the run and he's ready to go from the start of the game this week."

Farah came on midway through the first half against the Eels, but was again substituted for Cherrington at a crucial junction late in the game.

Taylor said Farah accepted the decision.

"He's fine. He understands this is a team. It's a team game and everyone's doing their bit for the team, and that's part of it," Taylor said.

Halatau will start in the second row this week, with Cherrington again on the bench.

Prop Tim Grant was also cleared to play after failing to finish the match against the Eels due to a first-half concussion.

Having an extra forward on the bench could come in handy for the Tigers, with Cronulla's already sizeable pack boosted by the return of inspirational skipper Paul Gallen from a knee injury.

Gallen will start at lock, with Jayson Bukuya pushed back to the bench in place of dumped outside back Gerard Beale.

Taylor said Grant, who was a late arrival from South Sydney over the summer, had been impressive over his first month at the club and his direct play was missed against the Eels.

"He would've definitely straightened us up in the second half," he said.

"He's really been a real positive influence on the guys and our halves, just in regards to their composure in their game.

"Not having him there - we missed that. He's been a great addition to our squad and we want him out there this weekend to have that influence."

STATS THAT MATTER

* The Sharks' 40-18 drubbing of Wests in Cronulla late last year was their biggest win of 2015, their most ever points against the joint venture, and their first 40-point game since 2012.

* The Tigers have favoured their right side of attack this season, with over 70 per cent of their 17 tries scored through that channel - a competition high.

* Tigers winger David Nofoaluma has eight tries in eight games at Campbelltown, while hot fullback James Tedesco has four tries and five try assists in his past five games there.

stevetiger

Post by stevetiger » Fri 01 Apr, 2016 11:30 pm

Starting Robbie sounds a much better option. It's going to be a tough game. Hopefully we get our form back and our halves kill it.

Winnipeg

Post by Winnipeg » Sat 02 Apr, 2016 2:09 am

Tuiaki Chicken Wings wrote:
Boys club v2.0
It really seems like this is the case, which is such a dagger through the heart of fans.

Almost everyone i know who follows league can see some of our selections are a joke

willow

Post by willow » Sat 02 Apr, 2016 8:27 am

I think if we're going to win two things need to happen:

1 - Our completion rate needs to be up around the 80% mark
2 - Cronulla's line speed in defence can't match what they showed against Melbourne last week

If we get a bit more space around the ruck, I think we can go through the Sharks, I'd be telling Farah, Moses, Brooks and Teddy to look for inside runners around the ruck.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Sat 02 Apr, 2016 8:54 am

Pretty much have just point 1 imo
Just hold the ball, if we only have to defend less than them we will get them

stevetiger

Post by stevetiger » Sat 02 Apr, 2016 8:55 am

willow wrote:I think if we're going to win two things need to happen:

1 - Our completion rate needs to be up around the 80% mark
2 - Cronulla's line speed in defence can't match what they showed against Melbourne last week

If we get a bit more space around the ruck, I think we can go through the Sharks, I'd be telling Farah, Moses, Brooks and Teddy to look for inside runners around the ruck.
We need to really get our attack in order don't we. This also means not dropping the ball and not giving away penalties when we are defending. I think getting our discipline right can keep us in the game.

lathami

Post by lathami » Sat 02 Apr, 2016 10:30 am

Please I don't really have a problem with the three hooker thing last week as Halatau was really a second rower. My bigger problem is Cherry and his development, I would rather have Halatau on the bench as backup for Farah. I just think that we are not doing cherry any favours, ten to twenty minutes a game is not helping his defence or his match fitness! I think it would be better for him in the first half of the season to have him play 80 minutes a game in state cup working on his areas of concern, then in the second half give him more time in firsts.
Another poor move by Taylor....

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Sat 02 Apr, 2016 11:07 am

I think we need another big body against the Sharkies...i would bring in Edwards or Griffin for Cherrington this week as he has played bugger all footy in the 1st 4 rounds really and could use an extended hitoutin Intrust....

Robbie has had game time back to blow out the rust...a proven 80 min hooker to provide that super slick non-stifling service to our halves...vhe also needs the whole game to out playEnnis his SOO rival....
Wests Tigers don't need a Coach.. The playing group has taken over..
happy tiger wrote:
Thu 25 Oct, 2018 12:17 am

OK I was wrong

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Sat 02 Apr, 2016 11:30 am

Geo. wrote:I think we need another big body against the Sharkies...i would bring in Edwards or Griffin for Cherrington this week as he has played bugger all footy in the 1st 4 rounds really and could use an extended hitoutin Intrust....

Robbie has had game time back to blow out the rust...a proven 80 min hooker to provide that super slick non-stifling service to our halves...vhe also needs the whole game to out playEnnis his SOO rival....
Halatau could just spend the rest of the season in NSW Cup

Farah spends some time playing in the 13 position when Cherrington comes on

Problem solved

Mighty Tiger

Post by Mighty Tiger » Sat 02 Apr, 2016 12:19 pm

tig_prmz wrote:so the one of the change most people want is for buchanan/lovett to be dropped from 17th/18th man to be replaces by MCK? i dont think our last interchange or 18th man is any reason why we have lost 2 in a row.

as for rankin, JAC is overshadowing him in the state cup but JT made the decision before the start of the year looking at how they both trained and chose rankin. he has carried the ball strongly, done whatever is asked of him and does not deserve to be dropped. again, NOT our main problem

our spine is intact. our prop rotation is perfect. backline is near perfect. maybe a couple of changes on the bench.

team shifts have come a long way from the tim sheens era.

Ok you must be watching things very differently to the rest of us.....

Rankin doesnt carry the back strongly, he falls over before the line, has lost the ball in 2 different games tackle 1 or 2 in out 20 & can't finish a try to save himself.

Wingers use to be underated but now having speed and size are huge in the game as it leads to putting teams on the front foot, create half chances when the ruck gets tired and can actually finish off plays.

Sorry but Rankin has shown no reason why he should be playing on the wing week in week out yet - he just isnt a winger and it is costing us.

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Sat 02 Apr, 2016 1:23 pm

Mighty Tiger wrote:
tig_prmz wrote:so the one of the change most people want is for buchanan/lovett to be dropped from 17th/18th man to be replaces by MCK? i dont think our last interchange or 18th man is any reason why we have lost 2 in a row.

as for rankin, JAC is overshadowing him in the state cup but JT made the decision before the start of the year looking at how they both trained and chose rankin. he has carried the ball strongly, done whatever is asked of him and does not deserve to be dropped. again, NOT our main problem

our spine is intact. our prop rotation is perfect. backline is near perfect. maybe a couple of changes on the bench.

team shifts have come a long way from the tim sheens era.

Ok you must be watching things very differently to the rest of us.....

Rankin doesnt carry the back strongly, he falls over before the line, has lost the ball in 2 different games tackle 1 or 2 in out 20 & can't finish a try to save himself.

Wingers use to be underated but now having speed and size are huge in the game as it leads to putting teams on the front foot, create half chances when the ruck gets tired and can actually finish off plays.

Sorry but Rankin has shown no reason why he should be playing on the wing week in week out yet - he just isnt a winger and it is costing us.
Have to agree with all of this. Rankin is not a terrible footballer, but he lacks the aggression and positional awareness we need from our wingers.

At first I just thought he wasnt getting good service from the inside men, but he's consistently in front of or behind passes and kicks every week. He's no threat in the early hitups and not much threat in open space.

He's a backup utility and probably a fairly handy one.

I'd at least like to see what JAC is capable of with a few weeks in firsts. Then we can truly make a judgement as fans who is the better option.

stevetiger

Post by stevetiger » Sat 02 Apr, 2016 1:28 pm

I don't mind Rankin but if you are playing to win you'd choose JAC.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Sat 02 Apr, 2016 1:34 pm

stevetiger wrote:I don't mind Rankin but if you are playing to win you'd choose JAC.
Maybe Rankin is better defensively than JAC

marzie

Post by marzie » Sat 02 Apr, 2016 1:36 pm

would've been better off giving pat one more year

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Sat 02 Apr, 2016 1:39 pm

marzie wrote:would've been better off giving pat one more year
No, he was done.