If Only We Had a Fifita or Gallen or Both!

stevied

If Only We Had a Fifita or Gallen or Both!

Post by stevied » Sun 03 Apr, 2016 12:17 am

What was really obvious in the Sharks game was our lack of size, strength and power in the forwards. Other than one or two charges by Grant and Sue, once again, we failed to bend the line. Woods is a worker, gains a mountain of metres every game and has a big tank but.....and I know people will disagree....he doesn't really bend the line. In my opinion he ambles up, continues rolling forward while defenders grapple with him and the net result is that the defensive line is set by the time he is forced to play the ball. This is an example of where stats can override actual effect.
Bending the line means that the defensive line is caught out and weakened by a fast, powerful run that knocks defenders backwards and results in fast play the balls where the defense cannot get set.
The Sharks have spades of size and power in the form of Fifita and Gallen. Fifita is a huge man who is unstoppable in the type of form he showed last night while Gallen is almost as effective with his no nonsense charges. The Tigers need players similar to this to seriously compete against sides like Cronulla. Our team was brave but it was obvious the difference in the game was the platform laid by the Sharks forwards. We simply don't have the bodies to compete and we need to make changes, especially on the bench. Impact is what is required and we don't have it. Choose some players who are big and aggressive, even if it means shorter stints on the field.The other thing that Gallen provides is sheer mongrel and a desire to win at all costs. We don't have much of that either.
Last edited by stevied on Mon 04 Apr, 2016 12:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

NJLM78

Post by NJLM78 » Sun 03 Apr, 2016 12:21 am

We did have Fafita once. But we let him go. Unlike the WTs to do that.

Magpie Magic

Post by Magpie Magic » Sun 03 Apr, 2016 12:23 am

We had Fifita Tapau and Blair but......

ricksen

Post by ricksen » Sun 03 Apr, 2016 12:23 am

We also had Taupau

Cosimo_Zaretti

Post by Cosimo_Zaretti » Sun 03 Apr, 2016 12:24 am

NJLM78 wrote:We did have Fafita once. But we let him go. Unlike the WTs to do that.
Pretty much dropped himself. Didn't have his head together, wasn't cooperating with coaching staff. Good luck to him but the Tigers made the right decision.

Demps

Post by Demps » Sun 03 Apr, 2016 12:24 am

Lucky we've got Lovett.

Not srs.

We're a player short in the "tough" department.

:pray: KLEMMER 2017 :pray:
#Unbeatable

"I never lie because I don't fear anyone. You only lie when you're afraid" - John Gotti

Wests Tigers Forum's most brilliant mind.

stevied

Post by stevied » Sun 03 Apr, 2016 12:26 am

Yep, poor attitude, running sideways or whatever the rationale given, it was a diabolical decision by Wests to let Fifita go. I was shocked at the time. Big men with his athletic ability don't come round often and he's exactly what we need now.

Harvey

Post by Harvey » Sun 03 Apr, 2016 12:30 am

I do not think Tapau is a great loss. Fifita always seems to put in a big game against the tigers but consistency is a problem. The other way to bend/unsettle the line is through offloads/2nd phase play, but they do not seem to be attempting at all.

stevetiger

Post by stevetiger » Sun 03 Apr, 2016 12:35 am

I completely agree with this thread. Fifita and Taupau are gun players that are game breakers. You need players like that.

Woods isn't a game breaker at this point. I don't think we have a player like this in the forwards.

Demps

Post by Demps » Sun 03 Apr, 2016 12:35 am

Gallen is no good, his career will be coming to an end soon.

Fifita is a straight up beast but only when it comes to running at smaller guys.

Any team would be lucky to have him though.
#Unbeatable

"I never lie because I don't fear anyone. You only lie when you're afraid" - John Gotti

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Sun 03 Apr, 2016 12:37 am

stevetiger wrote:I completely agree with this thread. Fifita and Taupau are gun players that are game breakers. You need players like that.

Woods isn't a game breaker at this point. I don't think we have a player like this in the forwards.
Woods never was and never will be an X-factor. He's a workhorse.
#penaltyTigers

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

Demps

Post by Demps » Sun 03 Apr, 2016 12:38 am

I miss Simon Dwyer
#Unbeatable

stevied

Post by stevied » Sun 03 Apr, 2016 12:56 am

Yes, Tapau would be nice now. What's the real story behind his departure? Thought he was too good for the Tigers? Taylor? I couldn't blame him for feeling like a lone ranger out there....Another talent gone.

ricksen

Post by ricksen » Sun 03 Apr, 2016 12:57 am

As per the meet up thread, Taupau was let go as they feel Sue is and/or will be better.

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Sun 03 Apr, 2016 1:13 am

We'd have the most least intimidating pack in the comp. Who do we have that would scare the opposition, maybe Sue? Not enough.

cochise

Post by cochise » Sun 03 Apr, 2016 1:19 am

Fafita was very strong late in the game, he didnt really fireup until the scuffle with Sue. He can also be very lazy in defence, Chris Lawrance's try was a prime example of this.

stevied

Post by stevied » Sun 03 Apr, 2016 1:21 am

Sue will never have the power, athleticism or tackle busting ability of Taupau. I do like him though because he tries to put energy into everything he does.

tigerlogic

Post by tigerlogic » Sun 03 Apr, 2016 5:24 am

stevied wrote:What was really obvious in the Sharks game was our lack of size, strength and power in the forwards. Other than one or two charges by Grant and Sue, once again, we failed to bend the line. Woods is a worker, gains a mountain of metres every game and has a big tank but.....and I know people will disagree....he doesn't really bend the line. In my opinion he ambles up, continues rolling forward while defenders grapple with him and the net result is that the defensive line is set by the time he is forced to play the ball. This is an example of where stats can override actual effect.
Bending the lines means that the defensive line is caught out and weakened by a fast, powerful run that knocks defenders backwards and results in fast play the balls where the defense cannot get set.
The Sharks have have spades of size and power in the form of Fifita and Gallen. Fifita is a huge man who is unstoppable in the type of form he showed last night while Gallen is almost as effective with his no nonsense charges. The Tigers need players similar to this to seriously compete against sides like Cronulla. Our team were brave but it was obvious the difference in the game was the platform laid by the Sharks forwards. We simply don't have the bodies to compete and we need to make changes, especially on the bench. Impact is what is required and we don't have it. Choose some players who are big and aggressive, even if it means shorter stints on the field.The other thing that Gallen provides is sheer mongrel and a desire to win at all costs. We don't have much of that either.

Woods 'wins' almost every one of his collisions.... He has a great ability to get inbetween defenders rather than running over anyone, most of the time he gets a quick play the ball, most of the time they only have one marker in place, and he rarely gets dominated and put on his back