A Solid Foundation

smeghead
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

A Solid Foundation

Post by smeghead » Fri 26 Mar, 2010 9:46 pm

Performances like tonight are how you begin to builds a season.

Yes there were flashes of brilliance, there always are with our side, but they were in the contest with 3 short turnarounds and playing in a heatwave on Sunday.

The willingness shown by the team to compete in everything tonight has made me as happy as I have been as a supporter in years.

It all started with Ryans direct hard, straight running from the back.

The forwards did well in most every aspect. Welcome returns for Payto and Gibb's. Flanagan has sewn up the utility spot for mine also.

Peaches

Post by Peaches » Fri 26 Mar, 2010 9:50 pm

I agree. If Cayless gets into the act, Tuiaki for Brown, we have our 17.

king sirro

Post by king sirro » Fri 26 Mar, 2010 9:54 pm

I agree with all that. Before focusing on us though, it must be pointed out that Parra were pretty bad and it took a while for us to put them away. But we were clearly the better side.

Ryan at 1 looked great. His workrate was superb, and i can see him really developing there. I said during the week i see him as a Shifcofske type fullback but with better hole running ability, and once he settles in i see him hitting holes all day.

The mix of Benji and Moltzen in the halves looks right. Moltzen is a class 5/8 and Benji is a great half. How good does Moltzen look two passes wide? Benji and Robbie run the show great, with Moltzen the 3rd string foil.

Will be interesting when Fulton returns. I was very happy with Flanagan and Heighno tonight, but i do believe we cant have all 3 in the side. Fulton is my first picked out of the 3.
LAUGH NOW CRY LATER--JS

Jazza

Post by Jazza » Fri 26 Mar, 2010 9:55 pm

It was a great win.

Even though we were in control for most of the game the scoreline was very flattering for Parramatta, we were in control for about 70 minutes tonight with just that 10 minute period in the 2nd half being won by Parramatta.

But still thats how you mix flamboyance with tough footy!
And despite playing some good hard footy, we still scored 5 tries tonight which as most were saying last week when we scored 6, you will win a lot of games of footy with that.

Mind you something needs to be done about the goalkicking, it costs the Tigers matches (And the finals last year) and it could've easily of bit the team in the bum again tonight.

Despite that id be very happy if I was Tim Sheens tonight, just to bounce back the way we did was very heartening and even though we clocked off last week. The team has shown a lot of character already this season with the win over manly after being outplayed, and to bounce back this week after getting hammered last week.
Gee its grouse at hardware house!

westTAHger

Post by westTAHger » Fri 26 Mar, 2010 9:56 pm

was pleasing to see, the players run straight and hard.
liked it alot how the backs would do it for a couple of tackles each set.
good solid team performance.
all players hold your heads up high, thanks as well to coaching staff.
Basil, our rescue dog, is wondering when wests tigers will win 25 - 18 :D

tigh

Post by tigh » Fri 26 Mar, 2010 9:56 pm

Fulton for Flannagan. TNT for Brown.

smeghead
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by smeghead » Fri 26 Mar, 2010 10:02 pm

Leave Flanagan as a extra dummy half runner/backrower, move Payten to the bench instead of Fitzhenry and bring Fulton back to the starting side for mine.

Still not sold on Fifita yet but time will tell

Leroy The Tigers Fan

Post by Leroy The Tigers Fan » Fri 26 Mar, 2010 10:03 pm

Obviously Taniela will come back into the side but I'm starting to be impressed by Mark Flanagan, Jason Cayless will get the flick before Flanagan does, what's great is that we now have depth.

The Eclipse

Post by The Eclipse » Fri 26 Mar, 2010 10:03 pm

tigh wrote:Fulton for Flannagan. TNT for Brown.
No way,

Flanagan has been one of the top players for the past two weeks and will continue to get better, he is a great kid.

His defence has been awesome and he has given a glimpse of his skills in both games.

tigh

Post by tigh » Fri 26 Mar, 2010 10:04 pm

Apologies - I meant Flannagan to the bench. Fitzy dropping off (for mine) goes without saying.

stryker

Post by stryker » Fri 26 Mar, 2010 10:07 pm

I think Flanagan is a very good player who could turn into a gun by seasons end. He must stay in the team.

triserratops

Post by triserratops » Fri 26 Mar, 2010 10:21 pm

****i WROTE THIS ON MONDAY*****

This is what we should all be doing from now until Friday.............

Monday: Pray to the footballing Gods for forgiveness and defensive help!

Tuesday: Roll our eyes at the team selection yet again!

Wednesday: Find the nearest wall (Solid Brick) to headbutt in disgust at what will happen if what we prayed for on Monday doesn't happen!

Thursday: Buy green face paint just in case we need to barrack for the raiders for the rest of the season.

:Friday (before the game) Have 22 redbulls and a 6 pack of beer to numb the shock of what will occur later that night!

: Friday night at 9.22pm - all our faces will probably be this colour when the Tigers shock us all (including myself) and beat the eels.

Saturday: The NEW look on our faces as we read the back page of the paper!

EXPECT THE UNEXPECTED! We should all know that, we get all of the above plus a whole lot more when it comes to supporting the Tigers!
Enjoy the ride!

triserratops
STAND BACK OR SOMEONE WILL
GET HURT! YOU'VE BEEN WARNED!

tiger tigers

Post by tiger tigers » Fri 26 Mar, 2010 10:23 pm

smeghead wrote:Performances like tonight are how you begin to builds a season.

Yes there were flashes of brilliance, there always are with our side, but they were in the contest with 3 short turnarounds and playing in a heatwave on Sunday.

The willingness shown by the team to compete in everything tonight has made me as happy as I have been as a supporter in years.

It all started with Ryans direct hard, straight running from the back.

The forwards did well in most every aspect. Welcome returns for Payto and Gibb's. Flanagan has sewn up the utility spot for mine also.
well said smeggy ...the first interchange is where we have been going wrong ... tonight we played it to perfection ... these are the games we lost in previous years ....how nice was it to absolutely dominate parra for a change ......

willow

Post by willow » Sat 27 Mar, 2010 11:27 am

I'll give Royce some credit for his use of the interchange. The return of Gibbs and Payten allowed the Tigers to keep a bigger pack on the field for longer, and Folkes also gets some credit due to the team's fitness levels allowing them to run their top side for longer. Fitzy got 3 minutes, Cayless 11 minutes and Fifita 21 minutes. Galloway played 54, Gibbs and Payten 52, Flanagan 50, Ellis and Heighno played the full 80. It worked well and the team played with the right attitude which was the most pleasing thing after a disappointing effort 5 days earlier.