clifferdSH

Re: Flogging a dead horse, but Right side defence again

Post by clifferdSH » Tue 12 Jul, 2016 10:47 am

stevetiger wrote:
happy tiger wrote:
stevetiger wrote:
happy tiger wrote:
But I thought we had a pretty good squad Steve

I get so mixed up reading your posts , the theme and ideas seem to change quicker than the wind does
We do have a pretty good squad. I'd even state it's better than pretty good. That doesn't mean that you get a squad full of 100% perfect players.

I think that your opinion is that you need the best player in every position to give the coach a chance. I just think when you watch the game you are so desperate for the coaching staff to be the best in the universe and every mistake in the game is the player's fault that it clouds your judgement.

I find your opinion on our centres interesting. Simona to me is a gun. Naiqama is good as well. Naiqama makes some mistakes defensively but if you watch the game you can see it's not just him. It's our defensive structure in tandem with Moses and Nofo who are both poor defenders.
Worst centre combination in the NRL attack and defence wise , but because it suits your anti Taylor sentiment just say whatever and change it 3 days later when it doesn't suit then next argument

If our centre combination is that good why does every poster on this forum say we need new centres Steve ??
I have no anti-Taylor agenda. I have a winning games agenda and I'm realistic. I like our centre pairing and I don't see them as the issue in the team at all.

We need a good winger outside Simona but JAC to me fits the bill. We just don't have him next year. Personally I'd make a play for a quality winger and an impact forward or a good right edge backrower.

I view the centres as an area where we are good and definitely an area that doesn't require improvement for us to be a top 4 team.

I think it's pretty clear that you are the one with the agenda. You continually state how poor our squad is when it isn't. You continually state that boring non-attacking game plans will win us games when they don't. That is an agenda.

I can see that our right edge needs work but I'm also realistic to know that there isn't an easy solution. Simona is a weapon. Naiqama is great offensively but he is on the right hand edge which has some issues. Those issues aren't just his fault though.
Kev and Nofs right side concede the most tries in the NRL, if you don't think this is a massive problem then you need to re evaluate how you analyse things.

Balmain Boy

Post by Balmain Boy » Tue 12 Jul, 2016 11:04 am

As has been discussed, the club's lack of willingness to try and fix the problem of our RHS defence is concerning. Every single week they've been badly exposed. We won't make the 8 largely because of them but how many matches have Naiqama and nofo not played when they've been fit?

Aloiai shouldn't be starting on the right side. We need an experienced and vocal defender on that edge. Moses will run in sometimes too (he's not the smallest player in the comp, but not far off it), but Naiqama is the biggest culprit. He wouldn't start for any other NRL side. He's a decent backup centre for sure, but that's it.

Nofo has dropped more bombs than any other outside back this season. That alone is reason to drop him.

Simona still hasn't beaten his man more than once this season. Of course he rarely get passed the ball but a gun centre should be able to beat his man from time to time.

You dont make the finals conceding 30 points a game. Until we change the players at fault we'll lose more than we win. Simple as that. We might be playing better now then we were previously but we really haven't tried to rectify the issue.

cktiger

Post by cktiger » Tue 12 Jul, 2016 11:52 am

Balmain Boy wrote:As has been discussed, the club's lack of willingness to try and fix the problem of our RHS defence is concerning. Every single week they've been badly exposed. We won't make the 8 largely because of them but how many matches have Naiqama and nofo not played when they've been fit?

Aloiai shouldn't be starting on the right side. We need an experienced and vocal defender on that edge. Moses will run in sometimes too (he's not the smallest player in the comp, but not far off it), but Naiqama is the biggest culprit. He wouldn't start for any other NRL side. He's a decent backup centre for sure, but that's it.

Nofo has dropped more bombs than any other outside back this season. That alone is reason to drop him.

Simona still hasn't beaten his man more than once this season. Of course he rarely get passed the ball but a gun centre should be able to beat his man from time to time.

You dont make the finals conceding 30 points a game. Until we change the players at fault we'll lose more than we win. Simple as that. We might be playing better now then we were previously but we really haven't tried to rectify the issue.
That's a coaching issue.
If they are being coached differently than they are playing it's their fault.
If the coaching staff aren't, or can't, do anything to fix it the problem lies with them.

stevied

Post by stevied » Sat 16 Jul, 2016 1:14 am

There are some very sensible points made in this thread. The bottom line is that the club is picking the best possible side at the moment and that's after considering the plusses and minuses of each player's attacking and defensive skills. A good player to focus on for the discussion is Naiqama. He is an excellent attacking weapon with his footwork, ability to set up the play and effective darts from dummy half. He also does make some strong head on tackes but we all know about his poor defensive reads. Much of the same applies to Moses, Nofualuma and Brooks. However, again, you weigh up all the pluses and minuses and the answer is we have to persevere with these players. We will score lots of scintilating tries but continue conceding soft ones while our crop of youngsters continue to learn on the job.

Byron Bay Fan

Post by Byron Bay Fan » Sat 16 Jul, 2016 9:40 am

cktiger wrote:
Balmain Boy wrote:As has been discussed, the club's lack of willingness to try and fix the problem of our RHS defence is concerning. Every single week they've been badly exposed. We won't make the 8 largely because of them but how many matches have Naiqama and nofo not played when they've been fit?

That's a coaching issue.
If they are being coached differently than they are playing it's their fault.
If the coaching staff aren't, or can't, do anything to fix it the problem lies with them.

from Farah Needs... thread
Byron Bay Fan wrote:
New psychological breakthrough: F A R A H A P H O B I A

Unnatural cluster at WT forum

Happy Tiger:
Actually starts with the coaching staff and anyone else who doesn't buy into "Robbie's World"

BBF: so maybe there was a reason why Robbie was giving them hell - keep it up mate!!
Malcolm Knox: What has happened this week is a pity for the Tigers, a pity for Jason Taylor and a pity for Robbie Farah, who had achieved more than the Big Four put together but was somehow turned into collateral damage. (SMH 25-26 March, 2017)

stevetiger

Post by stevetiger » Sat 16 Jul, 2016 10:28 am

stevied wrote:There are some very sensible points made in this thread. The bottom line is that the club is picking the best possible side at the moment and that's after considering the plusses and minuses of each player's attacking and defensive skills. A good player to focus on for the discussion is Naiqama. He is an excellent attacking weapon with his footwork, ability to set up the play and effective darts from dummy half. He also does make some strong head on tackes but we all know about his poor defensive reads. Much of the same applies to Moses, Nofualuma and Brooks. However, again, you weigh up all the pluses and minuses and the answer is we have to persevere with these players. We will score lots of scintilating tries but continue conceding soft ones while our crop of youngsters continue to learn on the job.
Exactly. I'm sorry to go over it again and again but our problem has been that we were playing one side of the game and that isn't going to work. When we weren't attacking we still had the same defensive issues. Now we are attacking we give ourselves a chance.

I'd add one more point. The poor right hand side defence is the players and the defensive structures that we've put in place. The players out wide are more exposed because we compress our line. That is a conscious coaching decision. I'm okay with that decision under the assumption that we are looking to improve that side of our defence and it's just a part of our game - i.e. we use the attacking skills that we have as well.

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Sat 16 Jul, 2016 7:39 pm

lol..You're not sorry steve..
Wests Tigers don't need a Coach.. The playing group has taken over..