Long Hard Season

Off-season, Pre-Season and Round Archive
supercoach

Re: Long Hard Season

Post by supercoach » Tue 07 Feb, 2017 1:09 pm

You just have to look at the things that let us down in 2016 and ask yourself have we addressed those issues for the up coming season.
Did we buy a goal kicker??
Did we find or buy a big strong winger
Did we find or buy at least one or two high quality 80minute backrowres
Will our forward pack that got steamrolled by Canberra twice and the Panthers once be able to turn the tide.

And I guess you could add a few other things to that list

Thats why I am rather negative about this season, once again we could have a brilliant year, but the bookies ask themselves the questions I asked before setting their boards..and that is why we are long odds

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Tue 07 Feb, 2017 1:10 pm

Why are judging our defence from the weekend? How many will be in the side round 1?

jadtiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by jadtiger » Tue 07 Feb, 2017 1:38 pm

GNR4LIFE wrote:Why are judging our defence from the weekend? How many will be in the side round 1?
I am judging our defence from the last 2 years in particular and it has been atrocious.

bp tiger

Post by bp tiger » Tue 07 Feb, 2017 1:50 pm

Chris wrote:Winning or losing doesnt concern me. As long as we put in good performances and continue to improve, that's all I care about.
U see thats exactly what we are talking about, ur happy to take a good effort just like the club, but what u need to do is reach for more wins and a much better outcome. just like the storm and the broncos do, or u may as well not play.

TCL
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by TCL » Tue 07 Feb, 2017 2:10 pm

bp tiger wrote:
Chris wrote:Winning or losing doesnt concern me. As long as we put in good performances and continue to improve, that's all I care about.
U see thats exactly what we are talking about, ur happy to take a good effort just like the club, but what u need to do is reach for more wins and a much better outcome. just like the storm and the broncos do, or u may as well not play.
I think Chris was quoting JT.

Furious1

Post by Furious1 » Tue 07 Feb, 2017 3:25 pm

GNR4LIFE wrote:Why are judging our defence from the weekend? How many will be in the side round 1?
I don't base what I think will happen this year off a different format game. I just didn't like what I saw by a couple of guys who will be there in round 1 when it came to defence. In particular one who has made headlines for his super physique. It's all well and good to look fantastic, but I thought we were a footy team not a modelling agency.

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Tue 07 Feb, 2017 3:39 pm

Furious1 wrote:
I don't base what I think will happen this year off a different format game. I just didn't like what I saw by a couple of guys who will be there in round 1 when it came to defence. In particular one who has made headlines for his super physique. It's all well and good to look fantastic, but I thought we were a footy team not a modelling agency.
He's absolutely rubbish defensively. Fingers crossed he spends all his time on the wing this year.

Tiger4life

Post by Tiger4life » Tue 07 Feb, 2017 7:47 pm

innsaneink wrote:
steve-o wrote:
innsaneink wrote:What did we think of our defense during the nines?
I thought our defense was good; We scrambled quite well and that's really the only type of defense there is in a 9s tournament.
What annoyed me was the one-out hit ups in attack - it showed me we weren't even trying on day 1, and that is not the attitude of a successful club
Scrambling Is All We Do Fairly Well Defensive Wise, But That Only Gets You So Far. . . Its Not Sustainable.
Our D Around The Ruck Was Very Average Yet Again. . . . I See No Change From Previous Years Really. . . Early Days Tho Im Not Confident
Funny that it took the nines tournament to open your eyes to our defensive woes.

Tiger4life

Post by Tiger4life » Tue 07 Feb, 2017 7:56 pm

supercoach wrote:You just have to look at the things that let us down in 2016 and ask yourself have we addressed those issues for the up coming season.
Will our forward pack that got steamrolled by Canberra twice and the Panthers once be able to turn the tide.

Thats why I am rather negative about this season, once again we could have a brilliant year, but the bookies ask themselves the questions I asked before setting their boards..and that is why we are long odds
Looks likely that Lovett and Rankin wont be there week 1. Thats already a massive improvement. Add Idris, Elijah Taylor with a full pre season with us and Liddle and we already look stronger. If one of the juniors such as Marsters or Sulli have a suprise year then we could upset a few teams.

Nelson

Post by Nelson » Tue 07 Feb, 2017 8:40 pm

supercoach wrote:You just have to look at the things that let us down in 2016 and ask yourself have we addressed those issues for the up coming season.

Have we got actual hookers playing at hooker?
Have we got an extra 12 months experience into the rookie back rowers we do have?
Have we added some size to our back line?
Have we now got more size and quality in our pack with Felise likely to come into the 17 permanently?
Have we now got the depth to keep Rankin off the wing?
Have we now got the depth to keep Naiqama out of the centres in defense?

You can choose to look for what are hopefully positive signs or you can choose to dwell on the negatives. The former is probably going to do better things for your mood (at least until the season kicks off...)

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Tue 07 Feb, 2017 8:59 pm

Nelson wrote:

Have we got actual hookers playing at hooker?
Have we got an extra 12 months experience into the rookie back rowers we do have?
Have we added some size to our back line?
Have we now got more size and quality in our pack with Felise likely to come into the 17 permanently?
Have we now got the depth to keep Rankin off the wing?
Have we now got the depth to keep Naiqama out of the centres in defense?

You can choose to look for what are hopefully positive signs or you can choose to dwell on the negatives. The former is probably going to do better things for your mood (at least until the season kicks off...)
Or your can deal with reality and call it as you see it or live with your head in the clouds

I'm happy for you Nelson because your going to win big when you load on those big fat juicy odds being offered on the WT's that all us "know it alls" won't touch

I wonder who will be right after the 26 rounds ??

I honestly hope that the WT's shove every word back down my throat so bad that I won't show my face on the Forum any more due to embarrassment

I really do , but experience tells me otherwise

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Tue 07 Feb, 2017 9:03 pm

But then who would :bawling :bawling :bawling :bawling in every second post..
Wayne Train 2019..

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Tue 07 Feb, 2017 9:06 pm

Geo. wrote:But then who would :bawling :bawling :bawling :bawling in every second post..
I'm sure you'd find another adversary who continually beats you at everything , is more intelligent , better looking , and knows more about this great game like myself

Actually most on the Forum fit that bill :D

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Tue 07 Feb, 2017 9:08 pm

To think that half of this sudden negativity as a result of the 9's. This is the sort of knee jerk reaction i'd expect from casual fans on Facebook, not supporters on here who have more of an intimate knowledge of the club and the game itself. Ridiculous.
Last edited by GNR4LIFE on Tue 07 Feb, 2017 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Tue 07 Feb, 2017 9:12 pm

GNR4LIFE wrote:To think that half of this sudden negativity has come off the 9's. This is the sort of knee jerk reaction i'd expect from casual fans on Facebook, not supporters on here who have more of an intimate knowledge of the club and the game itself. Ridiculous.
Well that's just absolute garbage GNR's

I have listed our shortcoming for how long now

All these new combinations (especially defensively ) and they will have one match to get them right before Rd 1 in match conditions

Are you kidding me ??

gallagher

Post by gallagher » Tue 07 Feb, 2017 9:13 pm

I'm with Nelson. The off session is usually the only time we can be positive on a regular basis.
I say we enjoy it while we can.

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Tue 07 Feb, 2017 9:19 pm

happy tiger wrote:
GNR4LIFE wrote:To think that half of this sudden negativity has come off the 9's. This is the sort of knee jerk reaction i'd expect from casual fans on Facebook, not supporters on here who have more of an intimate knowledge of the club and the game itself. Ridiculous.
Well that's just absolute garbage GNR's

I have listed our shortcoming for how long now

All these new combinations (especially defensively ) and they will have one match to get them right before Rd 1 in match conditions

Are you kidding me ??
What do you mean one match, they've had the whole off season. Do i think the defence will improve? Im skeptical, but i'm willing to give them 3 or 4 games before making a call on it. I'm not going to turn to water before a ball has been kicked.

Eddie

Post by Eddie » Tue 07 Feb, 2017 9:30 pm

Hard to argue with that when you at things in the cold light of day.

The Roosters lacked a goal kicker and a 5/8 so they went out an got both.