If we have the same bench we will lose

supercoach

Re: If we have the same bench we will lose

Post by supercoach » Wed 17 Mar, 2010 8:29 am

Fitzy to stay on the bench, Brown to come in for Ryan (we need size against a side with three good kickers-the bombs will be coming thick and fast). As for Moors Cayless and Flanagan, I would give them another week, the chooks pack is not going to monster us.

tiga4eva

Post by tiga4eva » Wed 17 Mar, 2010 7:08 pm

I'd stick with Cayless as hes about 4-6wks away from full mobility,however i'd seriously look at Schirnack,Gower,Mataka to come in for Moors and Flanagan.

wtffl2005

Post by wtffl2005 » Wed 17 Mar, 2010 7:22 pm

Ryan out 4 1 match

BRET

Post by BRET » Wed 17 Mar, 2010 11:49 pm

wtffl2005 wrote:Ryan out 4 1 match
Is that the result of the hearing today? I missed all the goss about it tonight driving back home from Sydney.
The price of success is hard work, dedication to the job at hand, and the determination that
whether we win or lose, we have applied the best of ourselves to the task at hand.

-Vince Lombardi

alien

Post by alien » Thu 18 Mar, 2010 12:37 am

My bench would be Cayless, Moors, Fifita, Flanagan

Aladinsane

Post by Aladinsane » Thu 18 Mar, 2010 7:29 am

All Sheens has to do, (as he will replace Beau with Fitzy) is to put a hard working tackling forward , like David Gower to take pressure off the starting pack.

Rd 1 Interchange use....the stats below is enough evidence for what Sheens has to do

Cayless played 34 mins for 11 tackles & 6 runs for 41m gained
Moors played 31 mins for 10 tackles & 5 runs for 55m gained
Flanagan played 12 mins for 8 tackles & 1 runs for 5m gained
Fitzhenry played 4 mins for 1 tackles & 4 runs for 20m gained

Adrian

Post by Adrian » Thu 18 Mar, 2010 7:57 am

we're going to need a bigger bench

tigerdre

Post by tigerdre » Thu 18 Mar, 2010 9:38 am

Flanagan looked out of his depth in 1st grade at this stage.I would only replace him with either Mataka or Gower
The others deserve another chance.

simonthetiger

Post by simonthetiger » Thu 18 Mar, 2010 9:55 am

If you are looking for impact Id go for the Fafita boys.

A coule of ten minute bursts would suit them down to the ground.

Mataka and Gower have a dig,but I see them as 80minute workers not impact.

smeghead
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by smeghead » Thu 18 Mar, 2010 10:19 am

It's interesting Simon.

I can see the logic but I also am not sure if 10 minute bursts is really something that could be covered in the modern game with interchanges. When Laurie first made grade guys like Gibbs had to work that much harder for more minutes to cover his inclusion.

Plus both the Fafita boys, whilst being undeniable talents, are so very lazy at times during a game in State Cup, let alone NRL.

I am unsure as to what the best sollution is though

the_scene

Post by the_scene » Thu 18 Mar, 2010 10:22 am

Cayless and Moors are definitley worth persisting with. Cayless was a class player and while he may not reach those heights again i have no doubt he will be a good player for us coming off the bench. Meanwhile i was quite impressed with the intestity of a couple of Moor's charges on Monday night. With some more games under his belt i think that he will become alot more effective, if anything i am more concerned about his reading in defence on the tryline.

I would love to see Mataka or one of the Fifita Brothers come onto the bench instead of another back to replace fitzhenry, but i cant see Sheens doing that this early in the season. I also think dropping Flannagan after one match would be detrimental to his development.

simonthetiger

Post by simonthetiger » Thu 18 Mar, 2010 10:58 am

Yep I agree with that.

You have to give Cayless and Moops more time.Too early to tell with them.

I still would love to see the Fifi bros have a go....I know they gan be lazy,but I reckon a game in firsts might just cure this.

southerntiger

Post by southerntiger » Thu 18 Mar, 2010 11:53 am

I watched the game again yesterday and to be honest I think we have been a little harsh on Cayless and Moors. They werent nearly as bad as some have suggested and, apart from the Moors knock on that led to the second try, had nothing to do with the turnaround in the second 20 mins. The biggest culprit in respect of this was Chris Heignington. His miss on George Rose, and the stupid penalties he gave away, was under 7s type work. Chris really needs to pull his socks up for mine.

Cayless was certainly very tentative but he made at least one decent charge. I am still confident that he will come good. Moors, apart from his handling errors and the late penalty, actually went ok. I am not convinced that front row is his position but he made a couple of good runs.

I would like to see Flanagan get some time in State Cup. I am still hoepful that he has a lot to offer us this year but he needs time to adjust to the new environment.

I do think it was a mistake to replace our two starting props at the same time.

magpiecol

Post by magpiecol » Thu 18 Mar, 2010 12:28 pm

southerntiger wrote:I watched the game again yesterday and to be honest I think we have been a little harsh on Cayless and Moors. They werent nearly as bad as some have suggested and, apart from the Moors knock on that led to the second try, had nothing to do with the turnaround in the second 20 mins. The biggest culprit in respect of this was Chris Heignington. His miss on George Rose, and the stupid penalties he gave away, was under 7s type work. Chris really needs to pull his socks up for mine.

Cayless was certainly very tentative but he made at least one decent charge. I am still confident that he will come good. Moors, apart from his handling errors and the late penalty, actually went ok. I am not convinced that front row is his position but he made a couple of good runs.

I would like to see Flanagan get some time in State Cup. I am still hoepful that he has a lot to offer us this year but he needs time to adjust to the new environment.

I do think it was a mistake to replace our two starting props at the same time.
Could not agree more. Another forward on the bench if Fitzy is called up. I think that Flanagan could fill in in the backline if needed. (Ellis certainly could and has done for Leeds). Who that forward might be is a matter of opinion. Andrew Fafita could be ok. But not, repeat not Gower. After watching the Newtown game last night he was very very ordinary. Overrated would be an understatement.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » Thu 18 Mar, 2010 12:39 pm

southerntiger wrote:I watched the game again yesterday and to be honest I think we have been a little harsh on Cayless and Moors. They werent nearly as bad as some have suggested and, apart from the Moors knock on that led to the second try, had nothing to do with the turnaround in the second 20 mins. The biggest culprit in respect of this was Chris Heignington. His miss on George Rose, and the stupid penalties he gave away, was under 7s type work. Chris really needs to pull his socks up for mine.
130m+ running, 34 tackles and you talk about missing a tackle on a guy who stepped inside him? And the penalties he conceded were a joke... Not saying he was man of the match but he was nowhere near as bad as some of you guys go on about.

southerntiger

Post by southerntiger » Thu 18 Mar, 2010 12:46 pm

I am not necessarily talking about his whole game but for 10 mins Chris didnt play up to Toyota Cup standard and almost cost us the game. He didnt lay a finger on George Rose - one of the fattest players in the NRL. It was a rubbish effort and the penalties were what you would expect from Bryce Gibbs - stupid. If you cant see that is a problem then you are deluded.

I dont care if a player has a great 70 mins, as happened on Monday a poor 10 mins from one player can really cost us. Everybody is blaming our bench when in reality they had nothing to do with it.
Last edited by southerntiger on Thu 18 Mar, 2010 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

the_scene

Post by the_scene » Thu 18 Mar, 2010 12:52 pm

Yossarian wrote:130m+ running, 34 tackles and you talk about missing a tackle on a guy who stepped inside him? And the penalties he conceded were a joke... Not saying he was man of the match but he was nowhere near as bad as some of you guys go on about.
I agree with this. Watching the match on tv i was pleasantly surprised to see Heighno up his involvement and get some go forward off the majority of his charges. He did give away a few penalties but they were line ball, i couldnt believe how much stick he was copping from the fox commentary team..they completley ignored his positive contributions to the match focussing only on the penalties he gave away.

I was genuinley excited by Rhinos perfromance. He is playing a different role this year, hitting it up the guts..but if he can build on his perfromance from monday night and cut out the silly stuff it will be a big return to form for him.

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Thu 18 Mar, 2010 1:03 pm

smeghead wrote:It's interesting Simon.

I can see the logic but I also am not sure if 10 minute bursts is really something that could be covered in the modern game with interchanges. When Laurie first made grade guys like Gibbs had to work that much harder for more minutes to cover his inclusion.

Plus both the Fafita boys, whilst being undeniable talents, are so very lazy at times during a game in State Cup, let alone NRL.

I am unsure as to what the best sollution is though
Smeg...Ive watched Andrew in 2 trials and last week against Norths....I haven't seen him be lazy at all ...both in crontolling the ruck or defending as a second-rower on the left.....

Sheens gave Laurie a run with all his faults as you point out....Fafita is miles better than him....

For this game against the Chooks it will be a little man I suspect....Taumata, Lazarus or Daniella...?
Wayne Train 2019..