First Grade Live Game Thread *Spoilers Here*

TheDen

Re: First Grade Live Game Thread *Spoilers Here*

Post by TheDen » Sun 21 Mar, 2010 4:56 pm

hybrid_tiger wrote:Moltzen moves to #7 and we put on three tries. Coincidence?

Could he be there next week if Lui's injury keeps him out? Will Lote move to fullback?

Anyway we can put that one behind us and get ready for the Eels

Danos

Post by Danos » Sun 21 Mar, 2010 4:57 pm

southerntiger wrote:
Danos wrote:
hybrid_tiger wrote:Moltzen moves to #7 and we put on three tries. Coincidence?
Moltzen not playing FB and we score 3 tries, coincidence? ;)
Was Moltzen involved in any of the tries. It didnt sound like he did much. In that case, i would say yes it is a coincidence.
Dunno. I just think he is an awful fullback and would be happy to see anybody else wear the #1 jumper.. except for Fitzy.

IronTiger

Post by IronTiger » Sun 21 Mar, 2010 4:58 pm

Lets just put this down to a blip and hopefully learn from it. Next week we should get our first team back on the park and the one good thing form this is that Sheens cannot ignore Fifitta and play him against Parra.

The Telegraph are going to have a field day with this game sending Carney and Pearce to the moon on a waive of praise and hype. As someone said put it in the memory banks for next time and concentrate on Parra on Friday.

southerntiger

Post by southerntiger » Sun 21 Mar, 2010 5:00 pm

Danos wrote:
southerntiger wrote:
Danos wrote: Moltzen not playing FB and we score 3 tries, coincidence? ;)
Was Moltzen involved in any of the tries. It didnt sound like he did much. In that case, i would say yes it is a coincidence.
Dunno. I just think he is an awful fullback and would be happy to see anybody else wear the #1 jumper.. except for Fitzy.
Tim has some big problems under the high ball - no doubt. But it didnt sound like he dropped many today. Moltzen is actually an excellent fullback in attack. It is his defence that needs some serious work.

Golden

Post by Golden » Sun 21 Mar, 2010 5:00 pm

Danos wrote:Anybody know the extent of Lui's injury.. because if he isn't fit to play next week you know what'll happen...

1. Fitzhenry

7. Moltzen
dont you mean fitzy at 6?

Citizen Tiger

Post by Citizen Tiger » Sun 21 Mar, 2010 5:01 pm

IronTiger wrote:I think considering our injuries we have done pretty well to lose by less than 2 converted tries.

That's delusional. It's 30 degrees and the Roosters took their foot off the pedal, simple. The stark reality is that we have a very real defensive problem, which has shown no signs of improvement over a period of 3-4 years. Just consider the facts :- Two games, conceded 66 points and 11 tries, against two teams with limited attacking options. Smith had far less material to work with and his game plan was outstanding. I don't know if Simmons is the defence coach or not, but players aren't talking that much in defence, are not nominating their man, sometimes slide, sometimes use inside shoulder and sometimes just look bewildered. WTF are we wasting S Folkes knowledge on strength and conditioning ?

kiwitiger

Post by kiwitiger » Sun 21 Mar, 2010 5:04 pm

TheDen wrote:Anyone know if Ellis will have a case to answer for the trip?
After watching it twice i think he will. And worse he has previous on this charge has to get this reaction out of his game when wrong footed

Danos

Post by Danos » Sun 21 Mar, 2010 5:05 pm

southerntiger wrote:Tim has some big problems under the high ball - no doubt. But it didnt sound like he dropped many today. Moltzen is actually an excellent fullback in attack. It is his defence that needs some serious work.
I disagree, its not just the highball. Have a good look at everything he did in attack last week, he could've done it all in the #7 jersey. He is terrible in defense at FB. The ball always goes over his head or finds the grass, he jogs it back, drifts across field, feigns dummys to his wingers, gets dominated. He doesn't put his body on the line to stop a try.

southerntiger

Post by southerntiger » Sun 21 Mar, 2010 5:07 pm

Citizen Tiger wrote:
IronTiger wrote:I think considering our injuries we have done pretty well to lose by less than 2 converted tries.

That's delusional. It's 30 degrees and the Roosters took their foot off the pedal, simple. The stark reality is that we have a very real defensive problem, which has shown no signs of improvement over a period of 3-4 years. Just consider the facts :- Two games, conceded 66 points and 11 tries, against two teams with limited attacking options. Smith had far less material to work with and his game plan was outstanding. I don't know if Simmons is the defence coach or not, but players aren't talking that much in defence, are not nominating their man, sometimes slide, sometimes use inside shoulder and sometimes just look bewildered. WTF are we wasting S Folkes knowledge on strength and conditioning ?
Do you really think the coaches dont work as a team? I am sure Folkes is having a significant input into many aspects of the team.

X-Pac

Post by X-Pac » Sun 21 Mar, 2010 5:08 pm

southerntiger wrote:
Danos wrote:
Danos wrote: Moltzen not playing FB and we score 3 tries, coincidence? ;)
Tim has some big problems under the high ball - no doubt. But it didnt sound like he dropped many today. Moltzen is actually an excellent fullback in attack. It is his defence that needs some serious work.[/quote]

no way ,lol last week moltzen driffted side ways for 40 metres just so he could link up with ryan who wanted none of it lol
Moltzen doesnt like to run the ball back at all its like his affraid of contact

though next week he might get another shot and if he does hopefully Blake Lazarus gets the halfback spot :)

gallagher

Post by gallagher » Sun 21 Mar, 2010 5:09 pm

Danos wrote:Anybody know the extent of Lui's injury.. because if he isn't fit to play next week you know what'll happen...

1. Fitzhenry

7. Moltzen
hmmm, now where did I put that petition........

Tigerdave

Post by Tigerdave » Sun 21 Mar, 2010 5:09 pm

well, not too bad for our for and against at least, that's something.... and yeah Moltzen shouldn't be our FB, time to move him back to half back and give someone else a crack at FB...... and not Fitzy!

southerntiger

Post by southerntiger » Sun 21 Mar, 2010 5:10 pm

Danos wrote:
southerntiger wrote:Tim has some big problems under the high ball - no doubt. But it didnt sound like he dropped many today. Moltzen is actually an excellent fullback in attack. It is his defence that needs some serious work.
I disagree, its not just the highball. Have a good look at everything he did in attack last week, he could've done it all in the #7 jersey. He is terrible in defense at FB. The ball always goes over his head or finds the grass, he jogs it back, drifts across field, feigns dummys to his wingers, gets dominated. He doesn't put his body on the line to stop a try.
I posted on this in another thread. I dont see his "soft" kick returns as a big problem and they have actually worked for us in the past with him linking up with big Tui. Tim Moltzen is no HB. Sheens is right, he is a good footy player but he has yet to find a position that suits him.

At the same time, I wouldnt mind shifting Tim out of the FB position. But that wasnt why we lost today. Just like Tim playing at 7(not halfback) wasnt why we won games last year.
Last edited by southerntiger on Sun 21 Mar, 2010 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

X-Pac

Post by X-Pac » Sun 21 Mar, 2010 5:10 pm

Citizen Tiger wrote:

last year we were the 6th best defesnive team in the league ;)

Danos

Post by Danos » Sun 21 Mar, 2010 5:13 pm

I know Lazzo is probably the best genuine halfback the club has in its ranks.. he needs to be somewhere in the side.. and he was carving up at FB in 08 before he got injured.

1. Lazarus

6. Marshall
7. Moltzen

Its better overall.

southerntiger

Post by southerntiger » Sun 21 Mar, 2010 5:13 pm

X-Pac wrote:
southerntiger wrote: Dunno. I just think he is an awful fullback and would be happy to see anybody else wear the #1 jumper.. except for Fitzy.
Tim has some big problems under the high ball - no doubt. But it didnt sound like he dropped many today. Moltzen is actually an excellent fullback in attack. It is his defence that needs some serious work.
no way ,lol last week moltzen driffted side ways for 40 metres just so he could link up with ryan who wanted none of it lol
Moltzen doesnt like to run the ball back at all its like his affraid of contact

though next week he might get another shot and if he does hopefully Blake Lazarus gets the halfback spot :)[/quote]

For those that think Tim is a HB, I would suggest re-watching our last ten games from last year as I did yesterday. I didnt see Tim at first receiver once.

Tigerdave

Post by Tigerdave » Sun 21 Mar, 2010 5:16 pm

yeah our defence last year was fairly good... people have short memories... obviously not too flash today, but hopefully that won't be the standard for the rest of the year

Tigerdave

Post by Tigerdave » Sun 21 Mar, 2010 5:16 pm

was Moltzen that bad in the number 7 Southern?

might have to re-watch the games