LUI-AYSHFORD-FITZY combo + the bench

cnx_tigers

LUI-AYSHFORD-FITZY combo + the bench

Post by cnx_tigers » Sun 21 Mar, 2010 5:46 pm

The LUI-AYSHFORD-FITZY combo was slaughtered today. Amateur type reads.

We can't have those 3 on the same team ever again if we want to go anywhere. Harsh, but it's true.

Lui was a terrible reader of help D in the Toyota Cup and the NRL is exposing him. He can hit if he gets them, but that's not good enough at this level. Reading the overlap and inside ball = woeful.

Ayshford and Fitz just as bad today. Parra will destroy us down there if there aren't changes.

The bench also needs a massive overhaul. Some blokes had the nuts to say that last week and good on them. They were right. Not just who is on the bench, but how it's used.

20 + straight points before the half today............every man and his dog could see we were tiring...........but two subs weren't even used.

Sheens needs to drop the pre match set plan and adapt to what the hell is going on out there.

alex

Post by alex » Sun 21 Mar, 2010 5:47 pm

Very weak in defence. Ayshford tried his guts out but didn't have support on either side of him.

cnx_tigers

Post by cnx_tigers » Sun 21 Mar, 2010 5:51 pm

alex wrote:Very weak in defence. Ayshford tried his guts out but didn't have support on either side of him.
The problem is that none of them can read the attack. They all stand back, arm grab and hope. If we were playing a poorly coached side we don't get exposed............but Smith is a smart coach and he worked it out early in the week and absolutely slaughtered us down that side.

I like Sheens, but he just doesn't react. Modern footy is a chess game. You can't simply sit there whilst we leak 20 straight points in the first half and are out on our feet and say "but I don't plan to use my extra subs until 20 mins into the second half". Adjust to what's happening or perish.

AndTheKungFoSing
Admin with a flute?
Admin with a flute?

Post by AndTheKungFoSing » Sun 21 Mar, 2010 5:52 pm

The worst defence I have seen in a long time! It was hopeless! No communication and gutless!
I hate South Sydney.... immensely

southerntiger

Post by southerntiger » Sun 21 Mar, 2010 5:53 pm

I have watched every game Lui has played (except this one) and he has always defended well. I think its a bit harsh to say the NRL has exposed him.

Danos

Post by Danos » Sun 21 Mar, 2010 5:54 pm

I'm a Lui fan too. I reckon he holds his own pretty well. Bad day at the office today though.

cnx_tigers

Post by cnx_tigers » Sun 21 Mar, 2010 5:56 pm

southerntiger wrote:I have watched every game Lui has played (except this one) and he has always defended well. I think its a bit harsh to say the NRL has exposed him.
I don't want to sound disrespectful Southern as I know you are in China and probably didn't see many toyota cup games.

But he was absolutely killed in last seasons TC finals........go and watch the GF and look at all the tries conceded off inside balls on his side.

I like the kid and want him to succeed, but good coaches are going to expose him.

southerntiger

Post by southerntiger » Sun 21 Mar, 2010 5:58 pm

cnx_tigers wrote:
southerntiger wrote:I have watched every game Lui has played (except this one) and he has always defended well. I think its a bit harsh to say the NRL has exposed him.
I don't want to sound disrespectful Southern as I know you are in China and probably didn't see many toyota cup games.

But he was absolutely killed in last seasons TC finals........go and watch the GF and look at all the tries conceded off inside balls on his side.

I like the kid and want him to succeed, but good coaches are going to expose him.
CNX Im aware of that. But you said he has been exposed in the NRL and I disagree with that based on all other games apart from today.
Last edited by southerntiger on Sun 21 Mar, 2010 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

boonboon

Post by boonboon » Sun 21 Mar, 2010 5:58 pm

Didnt think Lui was that bad mayby one try where he had responsibility in defence but hes a halfback so that will happen to all sides. The wekanesses today were Ayshford and Moltzen and I think for Ayshford it was a one off and as for fitzy he had a really good game and none of the tries were his fault they didnt get that wide it was 1 or 2 in people just want to blame fitzty because thats what they like to do

Danos

Post by Danos » Sun 21 Mar, 2010 6:00 pm

cnx_tigers wrote:

He was carrying massive injuries in the final series last year, playing on one leg practically. Go back to late 2008 & early 2009, he held his head high in defence.

cnx_tigers

Post by cnx_tigers » Sun 21 Mar, 2010 6:01 pm

Danos wrote:I'm a Lui fan too. I reckon he holds his own pretty well. Bad day at the office today though.

There's two types of defense.

One on one / straight hits = Lui is fine. He's strong and can hit.

Being able to read overlaps / know when to come in / force runners into traffic / communicate with your outside back = Lui is woeful.

You blokes are mistakingly thinking his D is okay based on the one and one hits. Look closely at his reading of inside balls and overlaps.

ron burgandy

Post by ron burgandy » Sun 21 Mar, 2010 6:03 pm

for a senior players fitzy was dissapointing today, he left ayshford hanging twice when he should of came in he stayed out, but what do you expect fitzy hasnt been FG quality for ages and he always gets a walk up start in the team

Hat goes of to fifita and flanagan both were superb today, and thank god marshall was there, god knows if we would of scored 10 points if he wasnt there
"Just let the haters hate"

shout out to kul and the rest of the admin and mods

king sirro

Post by king sirro » Sun 21 Mar, 2010 6:04 pm

alex wrote:Very weak in defence. Ayshford tried his guts out but didn't have support on either side of him.
I agree with that. Im my opinion we were caught short on the right a few times and Ayshford did his job on every occasion. One time he had two to mark and did everything asked of him and Fitzy took no one. In the 2nd half, Daniela proved what we all know, he has no idea in defence.
LAUGH NOW CRY LATER--JS

cnx_tigers

Post by cnx_tigers » Sun 21 Mar, 2010 6:05 pm

Let's not derail this one too far...........I am talking LUI-AYSHFORD and FITZ.

If we are going to have a young half back like Rob, you've got to give him an experienced center inside.

If we keep him, we can't keep Ayshford next to him. I don't know if we can keep both on that same edge.

ron burgandy

Post by ron burgandy » Sun 21 Mar, 2010 6:07 pm

cnx_tigers wrote:
Danos wrote:I'm a Lui fan too. I reckon he holds his own pretty well. Bad day at the office today though.

There's two types of defense.

One on one / straight hits = Lui is fine. He's strong and can hit.

Being able to read overlaps / know when to come in / force runners into traffic / communicate with your outside back = Lui is woeful.

You blokes are mistakingly thinking his D is okay based on the one and one hits. Look closely at his reading of inside balls and overlaps.

yep, hes like lawry back in 07-08, strong one on one but throw numbers at him and he didnt know what to do, this is why he should spend the year in PL then step up to FG
"Just let the haters hate"

shout out to kul and the rest of the admin and mods

cnx_tigers

Post by cnx_tigers » Sun 21 Mar, 2010 6:09 pm

Re Daniella..............................shocking reads when he came on.

I've not seen much of him, but the blokes here who had said he was appalling on D and that was confirmed.

Maybe I am being too harsh on Ayshford. Having Fitzy and then Daniella outside of you must have killed the kid today. You couldn't have given him worse help if you tried.

cnx_tigers

Post by cnx_tigers » Sun 21 Mar, 2010 6:14 pm

Ron, you are absolutely right re Daine Laurie. I must have read dozens of posts here from blokes going on about "he hits them hard, he can tackle"............as if that makes him a good defender. Being able to read on D is a whole other skill and Daine was not even close to NRL standard at it.

Mystery

Post by Mystery » Sun 21 Mar, 2010 6:28 pm

I feel sorry for Ayshford as he was made to look bad out there today when it wasnt his fault. A few times Fitzy stood out on his wing marking the touchie wen they were already out numbered... Lui jus needs experience but was still solid today