Uncoached

Needaname

Re: Uncoached

Post by Needaname » Sat 24 Jun, 2017 12:22 am

You know it makes sense now.
Why IC got moved on from Penrith.
And then Gus's comments prior to our appointment about how IC would be perfect for us but not necessarily the other way around.
Gus suggested that IC should coach a well established side.
Could that have been a hint that for IC to be successful as a coach that he needs a team that has already established players and instead of being a technically sound coach his more of a man manager.
In comparison to successful coaches, IC could be more of a Wayne Bennett than a Des Hasler.
That being said it comes as no surprise that the bulk of our recruitment has been for experienced proven players not talented up and comers.
Ivan will be focusing one would think on trying to improve the attitudes and temperaments of these players.
And would be starting on that since his appointment.
As far a tactically coaching we'll maybe we should wait and see the team that we have finally assembled next year.
If we finish this year with managing to go at least more than 2 repeat sets on our line without having our line breached than that would be a huge improvment.
And no tactical coaching is going to get that result. A bit of fitness and a lot of belief bestowed upon the side will get us there.

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Sat 24 Jun, 2017 12:27 am

What a fun bus ride it will be up to Newcastle next week.

TIGER

Post by TIGER » Sat 24 Jun, 2017 12:30 am

jrtiger wrote:
Fri 23 Jun, 2017 11:20 pm
It's quite simply the cattle that we have. Cleary has said from the beginning that he wasn't planning on making his mark on the team during this year, instead he would tweak a few of Taylor's tactics i.e Rushing Defence, positional changes etc. The cattle that Jason Taylor assembled were to suit his tactics and they simply were not good enough, and Cleary has his eyes set on long term success and culture change, which isn't going to happen in 3 months. As well as this, the win against the cowboys, the game against Parra that we let go, as well as the game against Cronulla where we were in the game for 60 minutes at Leichhardt were all signs that under Cleary that we are an improved side, it's just going to take time.

As for Brooks the boy is going to have a rough time this season. Woods was really the only forward that stood up tonight and we have a pathetic bench that lacks both experience and power that will change next year. He's being relied on to kick on last every time down that left corridor which is killing him and making him look one dimensional and would look better roving across the field, especially with Tui's best game being when he takes the line on. Next year with a partner in Reynolds as well as a superior forward pack and a pre season under IC the boy will thrive. No one came close to him in Junior ranks, and both his representative honours as well as his debut shows that he has the talent, but he will be guided. Once we have Matulino, Packer, McQueen and hopefully another backrower and front rower punching through the middle Brooks will be the halfback that not only takes control, but becomes the source of our points for years to come.

It's going to take time, it always was. Cleary has only put the broom through the kitchen, he's got plenty of the house to go. WTTID.
I don't share your optimism in regards to Brooks, how is having different players around him going to improve his last tackle options and execution of kicks? He's a dud and other players aren't going to change that, it's not current players fault that Brooks can't finish a set with a decent kick, it's Brooks inability to.

Byron Bay Fan

Post by Byron Bay Fan » Sat 24 Jun, 2017 12:31 am

Against the same team week our previous captain had a cracker - them are the ups and downs.
Malcolm Knox: What has happened this week is a pity for the Tigers, a pity for Jason Taylor and a pity for Robbie Farah, who had achieved more than the Big Four put together but was somehow turned into collateral damage. (SMH 25-26 March, 2017)

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Sat 24 Jun, 2017 12:33 am

Brooks is fast running out of excuses. I'm optimistic more than I am expecting that having Reynolds next to him next year will be the tonic he needs. If he's still struggling this time next year then it's time to pull the plug.

LeichhardtTiger

Post by LeichhardtTiger » Sat 24 Jun, 2017 1:57 am

BREAKING BAD HERE: I think Cleary is Smart. He is telling the players he is keeping to stay solid. He is telling those that are going to do their thing ...or be wasted. I think that he got Twal here mid season is cool. Our forwards lack size this year! 2018 Might be closer than you think!
There are two kinds of people in the world - those that live in Balmain and those that wished they did.

LeichhardtTiger

Post by LeichhardtTiger » Sat 24 Jun, 2017 2:00 am

Brooks was atrocious but so was Lolo - why? cos no one supported either player when they ran the ball - FFS isn't that the idea?
There are two kinds of people in the world - those that live in Balmain and those that wished they did.

Tiger Watto

Post by Tiger Watto » Sat 24 Jun, 2017 3:11 am

Cleary will get his first trophy next week - Longest Losing Streak for Wests Tigers

He is very intelligent though. Apparently he completed the NY Times Crossword by the 72nd minute this week up in the box.

"Next Year" Sirro, Next Year.
"Did someone buy you the internet hero play book for Christmas and you've only just started reading it?" - Nelson 21/04/2017

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Sat 24 Jun, 2017 6:08 am

Milky wrote:
Fri 23 Jun, 2017 10:34 pm
Say what you want...if things don't improve next year, I'm out.

No finals series in 8 years is a joke and I don't want any part of it. Done with the game.
You may not find that as easy as you think

maxxy86

Post by maxxy86 » Sat 24 Jun, 2017 6:59 am

innsaneink wrote:
Sat 24 Jun, 2017 6:08 am
Milky wrote:

No finals series in 8 years is a joke and I don't want any part of it. Done with the game.
No your right there, I've thought about being done with the team and game for the past 4-5 years. Looks like I'm in for the long haul and that haul may continue on for a couple more years to come.
Well its nearly time to have a 'CRACK'....Go you :sign:

voice of reason

Post by voice of reason » Sat 24 Jun, 2017 7:33 am

tigerap wrote:
Fri 23 Jun, 2017 11:39 pm
It's largely the same cattle as last year and that team should've taken us into the semis....so I disagree we don't have the cattle ... they are just not coached right
I have to disagree - 10 players from the same game last year didn't play last night. Clearly is a coach, not a magician. It was never going to happen overnight and bringing many new players in was always going to produce uncoordinated play.
Suffering supporter since 1967

Swordy

Post by Swordy » Sat 24 Jun, 2017 7:38 am

You can't win a formula one race with a Lada or P76, no matter how much you try or dress it up. Its still a piece of junk.

If nothing else, Cleary got rid of Moses and returned control of our club to the actual club and not one player manager. For that alone we will reap the rewards.

Anyone who thought Cleary could walk in and we were instantly top 4 material is kidding themselves. Sure, you could argue he should at least be getting effort out of this bunch of nuffies. But have a look around. Name me a coach who could guarantee to get this mob any better. Thats right, there isn't one.

The processes are being set up for the future of the club. Im happy with that.
Sunshine Coast resident.
Tigers fan since birth in 1969.
Fond memories of Leichhardt Oval every home game as a kid with my Dad!

Tweed Tiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by Tweed Tiger » Sat 24 Jun, 2017 7:43 am

jadtiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by jadtiger » Sat 24 Jun, 2017 7:57 am

You cant make a silk purse out of a sows ear and we have the largest assembly of sows ears collected.In other words we dont have the players or the depth this year

Earl

Post by Earl » Sat 24 Jun, 2017 8:12 am

Defiant wrote:
Fri 23 Jun, 2017 11:50 pm
I think its worth remembering ....

Round 2 - 36-2 Penrith
Round 3 - 46-6 Raiders
Round 4 - 22-14 Storm
Round 5 - 28-6 Dragon's

This was all before the super 3 got a bee under their bonnet.

Essentially I see no evidence that Cleary has taken the club backwards. I can think of 4 games now we could of won. Why didn't Moses take the kick in front when we were 12 up against Parra is a good example.

I see a lot of young players going pretty good and a bunch of seasoned players about to join them next year with close to $3m still to spend in our cap.

Hang in there ....
I think all we can do is hang in there. It's getting more and more frustrating though.

Nelson

Post by Nelson » Sat 24 Jun, 2017 8:37 am

innsaneink wrote:
Sat 24 Jun, 2017 6:08 am
Milky wrote:

Yeah seriously you can't just stop supporting a club, like it or not you'll be wired as a Wests Tigers supporter for the rest of your days...

cqtiger

Post by cqtiger » Sat 24 Jun, 2017 8:37 am

LOL You guys

Wayne Bennett and Craig Bellamy couldn't improve this lot.

Look at the number of signings for next year and more to come. Why? Ivan knows what he is working with ... ziltch.
If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said a faster horse
– Henry Ford

cqtiger

Post by cqtiger » Sat 24 Jun, 2017 8:41 am

Milky wrote:

Goodbye then.
Young people (sigh)
If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said a faster horse
– Henry Ford