Gould's comments

User avatar
Swordy
Member
Member
Posts: 1943
Joined: Fri 02 Jul, 2010 9:34 pm

Re: Gould's comments

Post by Swordy » Sun 25 Jun, 2017 9:22 am

TIGER wrote:
Sun 25 Jun, 2017 9:18 am
Swordy wrote:
Sat 24 Jun, 2017 3:19 pm
TIGER wrote:
Sat 24 Jun, 2017 10:30 am
Swordy wrote:
Sat 24 Jun, 2017 7:33 am
Wish I was a half back behind this forward pack. I'd be filled with so much confidence and enthusiasm too.
What's your reason for him not being able to even get a kick away or finish our set with a decent kick when he does?
What is a halfbacks job if it's not to work to a spot on the field and position yourself to get a good finish to a set?

Give me half of what he's on, I can put up bombs and kick balls dead.
I didnt say i necessarily rated him, but no halfback in the game, including cronk and thurston, can get good kicks away, direct play and build pressure if they are behind a pathetic forward pack that is being monstered. A perfect example was cronk in origin 1. Extremely quiet because his pack got run over. You have no time to position yourself, not field position, and the opposition is in your face before you can move.

Hence i said in an earlier post, id like to see him after a season behind a decent pack to see if he can run a game. Even Moses, whi consider an imbecile is going better behind a better pack.
Brooks had plenty of time to get a kick away his kicks are just plain awful.
What's your excuse for him being nowhere to be seen on the last to even get a kick away sometimes?
What's your excuse for us running it down a short side when there's nothing on there and just handing the ball over?
This is Brooks job to take control of these last plays, yet everyone continually makes excuses for him as to why he can't do it.
Nothing will change next year, we'll have a new look side but with the same halfback and the same problems.
No excuse, see above. I dont have to justify him. I said i dont necessarily rate him and i stand by the reasons why this may not be happening. Simple.
Sunshine Coast resident.
Tigers fan since birth in 1969.
Fond memories of Leichhardt Oval every home game as a kid with my Dad!


Earl
Member
Member
Posts: 1999
Joined: Sat 18 Feb, 2017 9:21 am

Post by Earl » Sun 25 Jun, 2017 9:50 am

TIGER wrote:
Sun 25 Jun, 2017 9:18 am
Swordy wrote:
Sat 24 Jun, 2017 3:19 pm
TIGER wrote:
Sat 24 Jun, 2017 10:30 am
Swordy wrote:
Sat 24 Jun, 2017 7:33 am
Wish I was a half back behind this forward pack. I'd be filled with so much confidence and enthusiasm too.
What's your reason for him not being able to even get a kick away or finish our set with a decent kick when he does?
What is a halfbacks job if it's not to work to a spot on the field and position yourself to get a good finish to a set?

Give me half of what he's on, I can put up bombs and kick balls dead.
I didnt say i necessarily rated him, but no halfback in the game, including cronk and thurston, can get good kicks away, direct play and build pressure if they are behind a pathetic forward pack that is being monstered. A perfect example was cronk in origin 1. Extremely quiet because his pack got run over. You have no time to position yourself, not field position, and the opposition is in your face before you can move.

Hence i said in an earlier post, id like to see him after a season behind a decent pack to see if he can run a game. Even Moses, whi consider an imbecile is going better behind a better pack.
Brooks had plenty of time to get a kick away his kicks are just plain awful.
What's your excuse for him being nowhere to be seen on the last to even get a kick away sometimes?
What's your excuse for us running it down a short side when there's nothing on there and just handing the ball over?
This is Brooks job to take control of these last plays, yet everyone continually makes excuses for him as to why he can't do it.
Nothing will change next year, we'll have a new look side but with the same halfback and the same problems.
These are fair points. We can't keep blaming the forwards for the poor play of our halves. The halves have to do their job. Brooks has to set up some plays. If the forwards are smashing teams then I'd expect him to come up with the right option to score a try. If that isn't happening then I expect him to get a good kick away to keep us in the game.

I think though that Brooks is copping it a bit too harshly. He is learning and needs to improve. He is overpaid. He is though our best option in the halves at this point. We have to stick with him for the moment however we shouldn't be banking on him to come good. The next 2 seasons will be interesting. I think that is all the time that Brooks has to prove himself as a quality first grade player.

User avatar
jirskyr
Member
Member
Posts: 6026
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 12:00 pm

Post by jirskyr » Sun 25 Jun, 2017 11:44 am

Nelson wrote:
Sat 24 Jun, 2017 6:01 pm
stryker wrote:
Sat 24 Jun, 2017 5:43 pm
Serious question here and im not taking the mickey...
How many players from western sydney are playing for the club and how many did we fail to secure who are better than average first graders?
Jarryd Hayne
Israel Folau
Ryan Hoffman
Chris Lawrence (pre-injury)
James Tedesco
Beau Scott
Tim Lafai

...next year we'll have none of them. If Nofo can learn to defend he might make it to above average.
I am assuming you are just making a list? It would be extraordinarily naive to think a club can funnel all junior talent from a huge population into their systems and ultimately first grade.

Growing up in an area meant something in 1920. Where I live now, you are a 10 minute drive from St George, Canterbury and Tigers JRLFC districts, and 40 mins to Wests - you could take your pick of where you ended up.

Pawsandclaws
Member
Member
Posts: 3091
Joined: Sat 20 Jun, 2015 5:53 pm

Post by Pawsandclaws » Sun 25 Jun, 2017 12:15 pm

What does the Storm have or do which is superior to our junior pathways? They bring young players into their NRL team and all perform well and know their roles. I know it is harder for our younger players because the NRL team struggles most weekends but there must be a reason for this? Thoughts?

Nelson
Member
Member
Posts: 3304
Joined: Sat 31 Oct, 2015 11:17 am

Post by Nelson » Sun 25 Jun, 2017 12:23 pm

jirskyr wrote:
Sun 25 Jun, 2017 11:44 am
Nelson wrote:
Sat 24 Jun, 2017 6:01 pm
stryker wrote:
Sat 24 Jun, 2017 5:43 pm
Serious question here and im not taking the mickey...
How many players from western sydney are playing for the club and how many did we fail to secure who are better than average first graders?
Jarryd Hayne
Israel Folau
Ryan Hoffman
Chris Lawrence (pre-injury)
James Tedesco
Beau Scott
Tim Lafai

...next year we'll have none of them. If Nofo can learn to defend he might make it to above average.
I am assuming you are just making a list? It would be extraordinarily naive to think a club can funnel all junior talent from a huge population into their systems and ultimately first grade.

Growing up in an area meant something in 1920. Where I live now, you are a 10 minute drive from St George, Canterbury and Tigers JRLFC districts, and 40 mins to Wests - you could take your pick of where you ended up.
Just a list of players associated with the area through schooling or having grown up there (limited to players currently playing that stryker might actually regard as "above average").


Needaname
Member
Member
Posts: 968
Joined: Sun 24 Apr, 2016 1:02 pm

Post by Needaname » Sun 25 Jun, 2017 12:52 pm

Pawsandclaws wrote:
Sun 25 Jun, 2017 12:15 pm
What does the Storm have or do which is superior to our junior pathways? They bring young players into their NRL team and all perform well and know their roles. I know it is harder for our younger players because the NRL team struggles most weekends but there must be a reason for this? Thoughts?
Good point I wonder myself.
But look at it this way if you a super talented 16 year old and you had a number of clubs looking at you where would you go.
The culture / reputation at the storm allows the club to be able to pick and choose the best talent out there and for less incentive because the incentive is to learn rugby league from the best available.

I also believe clubs that feeder to / from the Queensland cup get better players as well.
That comp is not over saturated with a bunch of kids that just want to stay and play with there mates.
Ask you self how much better our depth players would be if we could spread them throughout the other NSW cup teams?

Pawsandclaws
Member
Member
Posts: 3091
Joined: Sat 20 Jun, 2015 5:53 pm

Post by Pawsandclaws » Sun 25 Jun, 2017 3:23 pm

Needaname wrote:
Sun 25 Jun, 2017 12:52 pm
Pawsandclaws wrote:
Sun 25 Jun, 2017 12:15 pm
What does the Storm have or do which is superior to our junior pathways? They bring young players into their NRL team and all perform well and know their roles. I know it is harder for our younger players because the NRL team struggles most weekends but there must be a reason for this? Thoughts?
Good point I wonder myself.
But look at it this way if you a super talented 16 year old and you had a number of clubs looking at you where would you go.
The culture / reputation at the storm allows the club to be able to pick and choose the best talent out there and for less incentive because the incentive is to learn rugby league from the best available.

I also believe clubs that feeder to / from the Queensland cup get better players as well.
That comp is not over saturated with a bunch of kids that just want to stay and play with there mates.
Ask you self how much better our depth players would be if we could spread them throughout the other NSW cup teams?
Good reply and thanks. Perhaps with our new recruitment officer and new culture under Cleary we will see an influx of talented juniors (more from Qld as well) as well as better performed juniors through our pathways programme.

Balmain Boy
Member
Member
Posts: 3225
Joined: Sun 27 Sep, 2009 7:22 pm

Post by Balmain Boy » Mon 26 Jun, 2017 10:59 am

stryker wrote:
Sat 24 Jun, 2017 5:43 pm
Serious question here and im not taking the mickey...
How many players from western sydney are playing for the club and how many did we fail to secure who are better than average first graders?
There's a few like Hayne, Folau, Minichiello right off the top of my head

Pawsandclaws
Member
Member
Posts: 3091
Joined: Sat 20 Jun, 2015 5:53 pm

Post by Pawsandclaws » Mon 26 Jun, 2017 11:19 am

Balmain Boy wrote:
Mon 26 Jun, 2017 10:59 am
stryker wrote:
Sat 24 Jun, 2017 5:43 pm
Serious question here and im not taking the mickey...
How many players from western sydney are playing for the club and how many did we fail to secure who are better than average first graders?
There's a few like Hayne, Folau, Minichiello right off the top of my head
Well Brad Fittler wrote a review of the players in his NSW U18s team. Alex Seyfarth's partner in the second row is a Rooster from Campbelltown.

User avatar
Cultured Bogan
Member
Member
Posts: 17918
Joined: Tue 15 Sep, 2009 11:20 pm
Location: Blue Mountains

Post by Cultured Bogan » Mon 26 Jun, 2017 11:36 am

Bula wrote:
Sat 24 Jun, 2017 9:55 am
The Scott Muller of league.
Nice area Shane.
#penaltyTigers

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

Magpie Magic
Member
Member
Posts: 1073
Joined: Mon 05 Apr, 2010 2:17 pm

Post by Magpie Magic » Sun 02 Jul, 2017 5:41 pm

Penrith going for 50 today.
Gus should worry about his own club.

Post Reply