Gould's comments

timmings01
Member
Member
Posts: 146
Joined: Mon 05 Sep, 2016 7:14 pm

Re: Gould's comments

Post by timmings01 » Sat 24 Jun, 2017 10:16 am

He also went on for a long time about the club neglecting the development of their juniors. He said the future of Tigers was out west not Balmain and that the club has been doing nothing to source the local talent, which there was plenty of. He was exactly right in everything I heard him say. So whatever he said about Brookes is probably pretty close to being on the mark. I doubt he suggested getting rid of him though.


User avatar
Basil Tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 569
Joined: Tue 18 Sep, 2012 10:35 am
Location: Northern NSW(ex-Sydney).

Post by Basil Tiger » Sat 24 Jun, 2017 10:18 am

diedpretty wrote:
Sat 24 Jun, 2017 10:09 am
Apparently he had a lot more to say about WT than just Luke .........
He's seems to have a soft spot for the Tigers and was going to Coach us at one stage after the merger.Most of his comments and criticisms have been positive over the years for the most part,just telling it as he sees it.
I think Brooks will improve next year with Reynolds taking the pressure off,if he doesn't he just another promising kid that didn't make the grade,RL History is littered with them.
Greetings All,from far Northern NSW.

User avatar
TIGER
Member
Member
Posts: 3486
Joined: Tue 14 Jul, 2009 10:40 am

Post by TIGER » Sat 24 Jun, 2017 10:30 am

Swordy wrote:
Sat 24 Jun, 2017 7:33 am
Wish I was a half back behind this forward pack. I'd be filled with so much confidence and enthusiasm too.
What's your reason for him not being able to even get a kick away or finish our set with a decent kick when he does?
What is a halfbacks job if it's not to work to a spot on the field and position yourself to get a good finish to a set?

Give me half of what he's on, I can put up bombs and kick balls dead.

Needaname
Member
Member
Posts: 968
Joined: Sun 24 Apr, 2016 1:02 pm

Post by Needaname » Sat 24 Jun, 2017 12:56 pm

TIGER wrote:
Sat 24 Jun, 2017 10:30 am
Swordy wrote:
Sat 24 Jun, 2017 7:33 am
Wish I was a half back behind this forward pack. I'd be filled with so much confidence and enthusiasm too.
What's your reason for him not being able to even get a kick away or finish our set with a decent kick when he does?
What is a halfbacks job if it's not to work to a spot on the field and position yourself to get a good finish to a set?

Give me half of what he's on, I can put up bombs and kick balls dead.

How about the fact that as soon as he got the ball in his hands there was a titans player in his face.
Now I don't remember Liddle taking 50 steps before passing it, he passed it directly, I would say it more has to do with the awareness of the team on the left side and what they need to do to be in position for a kick. A lot of that comes down to Brooks organising his players but it also should be common to anyone playing either Second row (Lovett out of his depth) or Centre (Suli 18).
I think he needs to go back to NSW cup and we bring JLJ back for the remainder of the year. Brooks is obviously the more talented but Liddle John has that seasoned edge (from ISP that is)

Needaname
Member
Member
Posts: 968
Joined: Sun 24 Apr, 2016 1:02 pm

Post by Needaname » Sat 24 Jun, 2017 1:16 pm

timmings01 wrote:
Sat 24 Jun, 2017 10:16 am
He also went on for a long time about the club neglecting the development of their juniors. He said the future of Tigers was out west not Balmain and that the club has been doing nothing to source the local talent, which there was plenty of. He was exactly right in everything I heard him say. So whatever he said about Brookes is probably pretty close to being on the mark. I doubt he suggested getting rid of him though.
From what I understand this will continue.
The club DO NOT want to be a Western Sydney Team as Ashfield now has the all the power and remains so in the inner west.
This is where the problem lies.
Forget the fraction between Balmain and Wests, there is a fraction between Wests Ashfield and Wests Campbeltown that needs to be resolved first.
I'm originally a Balmain fan and I live in The Blue Mountains in and around the Penrith Region. Since 2011 I've seen first hand the effect Gould has had on building penriths profile and the continued success off the field by embracing what they are a unified greater western club. They may not be a constant top eight side like the bulldogs or roosters but they have flipped there whole strategy on its head, embraced their juniors changed their culture and continue to raise their profile within the community.
Mark my words Penrith will be the strongest Western Sydney team in a matter of Years and will continue on that frame for Decades!
The good news is, Gould identified that a culture shift needed to commence within the playing group and the coach that he identified to be able to achieve that was Ivan Cleary. He also identified that the team has got to a point where the culture no longer needs to be driven and the team as then talented enough to take the next step and start being competitive. That I believe was the undoing of Ivan Cleary at Penrith because he realised he now needed a coach not a companion.
Lucky for us we are not at that point yet and Ivan had 4 years to turn this team and CLUB around.
But yeah a permanent move South West should have been the focal point.


goldcoast tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 6294
Joined: Sat 12 Apr, 2014 5:42 pm

Post by goldcoast tiger » Sat 24 Jun, 2017 1:34 pm

From memory Gould and Johns didn't say to get rid of him.
They both said that he needed help, it sounded like johns was making a veiled offer, but I doubt we could be so lucky

User avatar
Swordy
Member
Member
Posts: 1944
Joined: Fri 02 Jul, 2010 9:34 pm

Post by Swordy » Sat 24 Jun, 2017 3:19 pm

TIGER wrote:
Sat 24 Jun, 2017 10:30 am
Swordy wrote:
Sat 24 Jun, 2017 7:33 am
Wish I was a half back behind this forward pack. I'd be filled with so much confidence and enthusiasm too.
What's your reason for him not being able to even get a kick away or finish our set with a decent kick when he does?
What is a halfbacks job if it's not to work to a spot on the field and position yourself to get a good finish to a set?

Give me half of what he's on, I can put up bombs and kick balls dead.
I didnt say i necessarily rated him, but no halfback in the game, including cronk and thurston, can get good kicks away, direct play and build pressure if they are behind a pathetic forward pack that is being monstered. A perfect example was cronk in origin 1. Extremely quiet because his pack got run over. You have no time to position yourself, not field position, and the opposition is in your face before you can move.

Hence i said in an earlier post, id like to see him after a season behind a decent pack to see if he can run a game. Even Moses, whi consider an imbecile is going better behind a better pack.
Sunshine Coast resident.
Tigers fan since birth in 1969.
Fond memories of Leichhardt Oval every home game as a kid with my Dad!

Nelson
Member
Member
Posts: 3305
Joined: Sat 31 Oct, 2015 11:17 am

Post by Nelson » Sat 24 Jun, 2017 3:24 pm

Swordy wrote:
Sat 24 Jun, 2017 3:19 pm
TIGER wrote:
Sat 24 Jun, 2017 10:30 am
Swordy wrote:
Sat 24 Jun, 2017 7:33 am
Wish I was a half back behind this forward pack. I'd be filled with so much confidence and enthusiasm too.
What's your reason for him not being able to even get a kick away or finish our set with a decent kick when he does?
What is a halfbacks job if it's not to work to a spot on the field and position yourself to get a good finish to a set?

Give me half of what he's on, I can put up bombs and kick balls dead.
I didnt say i necessarily rated him, but no halfback in the game, including cronk and thurston, can get good kicks away, direct play and build pressure if they are behind a pathetic forward pack that is being monstered. A perfect example was cronk in origin 1. Extremely quiet because his pack got run over. You have no time to position yourself, not field position, and the opposition is in your face before you can move.

Hence i said in an earlier post, id like to see him after a season behind a decent pack to see if he can run a game. Even Moses, whi consider an imbecile is going better behind a better pack.
Yeah you need look no further than some of the rubbish plays on the 5th to explain some of the poor last tackle plays. We need to be taking momentum into last tackle plays through quick PTB's on the 5th so the opposition aren't getting up in the faces of our halves.

formerguest
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 4048
Joined: Fri 07 Jun, 2013 7:33 pm

Post by formerguest » Sat 24 Jun, 2017 4:18 pm

Nelson wrote:
Sat 24 Jun, 2017 3:24 pm
Swordy wrote:
Sat 24 Jun, 2017 3:19 pm
TIGER wrote:
Sat 24 Jun, 2017 10:30 am
Swordy wrote:
Sat 24 Jun, 2017 7:33 am
Wish I was a half back behind this forward pack. I'd be filled with so much confidence and enthusiasm too.
What's your reason for him not being able to even get a kick away or finish our set with a decent kick when he does?
What is a halfbacks job if it's not to work to a spot on the field and position yourself to get a good finish to a set?

Give me half of what he's on, I can put up bombs and kick balls dead.
I didnt say i necessarily rated him, but no halfback in the game, including cronk and thurston, can get good kicks away, direct play and build pressure if they are behind a pathetic forward pack that is being monstered. A perfect example was cronk in origin 1. Extremely quiet because his pack got run over. You have no time to position yourself, not field position, and the opposition is in your face before you can move.

Hence i said in an earlier post, id like to see him after a season behind a decent pack to see if he can run a game. Even Moses, whi consider an imbecile is going better behind a better pack.
Yeah you need look no further than some of the rubbish plays on the 5th to explain some of the poor last tackle plays. We need to be taking momentum into last tackle plays through quick PTB's on the 5th so the opposition aren't getting up in the faces of our halves.
And that is why Woods more than anyone else should not take that run.

supercoach
Member
Member
Posts: 7079
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 2:38 pm

Post by supercoach » Sat 24 Jun, 2017 4:58 pm

Iam still willing to give Brooks some slack till next season when we roll out a side with a lot more NRL standard players

Fade To Black
Member
Member
Posts: 5462
Joined: Tue 21 Feb, 2012 5:51 pm

Post by Fade To Black » Sat 24 Jun, 2017 5:09 pm

Brooks' kicking game is shameful, pitiful and embarrassing. Made some good tackles last night but needs to put in some serious work on his pathetic kicking.

User avatar
momo&medo
Member
Member
Posts: 1382
Joined: Fri 20 May, 2016 9:48 am
Location: NSW central coast

Post by momo&medo » Sat 24 Jun, 2017 5:11 pm

Ha "......... he's so called crash hot Panthers side got done and dusted in last 7 minutes of the game by the Cowboys without JT ..... wonderful to see what "the great ones" comment is about that one.

User avatar
cktiger
Member
Member
Posts: 3497
Joined: Fri 12 Nov, 2010 10:37 am

Post by cktiger » Sat 24 Jun, 2017 5:25 pm

momo&medo wrote:
Sat 24 Jun, 2017 5:11 pm
Ha "......... he's so called crash hot Panthers side got done and dusted in last 7 minutes of the game by the Cowboys without JT ..... wonderful to see what "the great ones" comment is about that one.
Yeah, that'll teach him for having an opinion you don't like. :(

User avatar
stryker
Member
Member
Posts: 10825
Joined: Sun 19 Jul, 2009 4:16 pm
Location: Cairns

Post by stryker » Sat 24 Jun, 2017 5:26 pm

momo&medo wrote:
Sat 24 Jun, 2017 5:11 pm
Ha "......... he's so called crash hot Panthers side got done and dusted in last 7 minutes of the game by the Cowboys without JT ..... wonderful to see what "the great ones" comment is about that one.
Petty comment.

Magpie Magic
Member
Member
Posts: 1073
Joined: Mon 05 Apr, 2010 2:17 pm

Post by Magpie Magic » Sat 24 Jun, 2017 5:26 pm

momo&medo wrote:
Sat 24 Jun, 2017 5:11 pm
Ha "......... he's so called crash hot Panthers side got done and dusted in last 7 minutes of the game by the Cowboys without JT ..... wonderful to see what "the great ones" comment is about that one.
Yeah
Gould could hardly keep his eyes open and laughed when he mentioned it's hard to build culture when you recruit players from outside but thats what Easts and Penrith do right.
He never liked the maggies or the WT and was thinking they would roll over but he will have to get used to them

User avatar
momo&medo
Member
Member
Posts: 1382
Joined: Fri 20 May, 2016 9:48 am
Location: NSW central coast

Post by momo&medo » Sat 24 Jun, 2017 5:34 pm

cktiger wrote:
Sat 24 Jun, 2017 5:25 pm
momo&medo wrote:
Sat 24 Jun, 2017 5:11 pm
Ha "......... he's so called crash hot Panthers side got done and dusted in last 7 minutes of the game by the Cowboys without JT ..... wonderful to see what "the great ones" comment is about that one.
Yeah, that'll teach him for having an opinion you don't like. :(
Well you sure don't like mine!

User avatar
jirskyr
Member
Member
Posts: 6028
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 12:00 pm

Post by jirskyr » Sat 24 Jun, 2017 5:35 pm

timmings01 wrote:
Sat 24 Jun, 2017 10:16 am
He also went on for a long time about the club neglecting the development of their juniors. He said the future of Tigers was out west not Balmain and that the club has been doing nothing to source the local talent, which there was plenty of. He was exactly right in everything I heard him say. So whatever he said about Brookes is probably pretty close to being on the mark. I doubt he suggested getting rid of him though.
I dunno if I can cop what he said about south west players playing for other clubs. Lots of clubs with big junior bases miss out on juniors due to poaching - plenty of Penrith and Wollongong boys not playing for Panthers or Dragons.

And if building your junior base was so vital, how come Roosters are doing so well?

Tigers pull in plenty of players from Campbo and really apart from Tedesco, no superstars. No stars from Balmain either recently.

User avatar
stryker
Member
Member
Posts: 10825
Joined: Sun 19 Jul, 2009 4:16 pm
Location: Cairns

Post by stryker » Sat 24 Jun, 2017 5:43 pm

Serious question here and im not taking the mickey...
How many players from western sydney are playing for the club and how many did we fail to secure who are better than average first graders?

Post Reply