We lost mentally: Cleary

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Sat 24 Jun, 2017 8:14 am

Sat 24 Jun, 2017, 8:00am
By Alicia Newton‌, National Correspondent‌‌, ‌‌‌NRL.com

Wests Tigers coach Ivan Cleary believes Jarryd Hayne's 10-minute blitz all came down to the mental aspect of the game with the former Australian international identifying the side's weakness to guide the Gold Coast Titans to a 26-14 victory.

Mid-season recruit Malakai Watene-Zelezniak was denied a four-pointer for accidental off side in a close call that would've levelled the scores midway through the second half.

Cleary disagreed with the call but said while the decision proved to be a turning point, the side needed to be better in their response.

The Titans received a penalty to go on the attack, before Hayne crossed over for his first of two tries in a five-minute period on the back of the no try ruling.

"The Mal no try, personally I thought it was a lose carry, so if that’s the case then it’s not a strip," Cleary said.

"It was big and I felt we did a lot of things right tonight but just couldn't build enough pressure.

"When it backs onto each other, the resilience gets tested and mentally in that second half there was a huge shift in the game. Jarryd Hayne would've sensed that and he's a class player and took that opportunity."

Cleary admitted the last tackle options from halves pairing Luke Brooks and Tui Lolohea were a let down, however was pleased with what the forward pack offered up the middle of the paddock.

"We're trying to play more consistently and go set-for-set with teams and grind, there is definitely improvements. Tonight I thought we earnt opportunities but then we couldn't capitalise through not finishing the set off well," Cleary said.

"I thought the guys in the middle did well, led by [Aaron] Woodsy. We certainly gave ourselves every chance in that space but if you can't finish your sets off and build that pressure or penalty comes at the wrong time then I think they got their back up and they kicked out to two tries — that really affected us mentally."

Woods backed up his Origin II performance with a 65-minute effort and again topped the run metres for the side.

With casualties to come out of Game Two for this weekend's round, the Tigers skipper had no issues backing up just 48 hours after the clash on Wednesday night.

"It's part of my job, Ivan asked me if I wanted to back up and I said yes… I'm here to play football," Woods said.

"When you're on the field you've got to do what's best for the team and put your body on the line. It's tough [to back up] at times but that's my job.

"I just said to Ivan I didn't want to come off and stiffen up on the sidelines on the cold night, so if anything I can't thank him enough for letting me stay on the field."

After a below-par performance for the Blues, Woods said Hayne's performance against the Tigers came as no surprise but believed the side handed opportunity to him on a platter at times.

"We gifted him those [tries], you've got to take the opportunities when you get them and a bloke like him does that," he said.

“It's disappointing, we had the Titans on the ropes but our last tackle options and penalties on the fourth and fifth tackles really hurt us.

"We did well defending but were our own worst enemies."

Now officially last on the Telstra Premiership ladder, Wests Tigers face the Knights in Newcastle next week in a bid to break a now seven-game losing streak.

http://www.nrl.com/we-lost-mentally-cle ... fault.aspx
Wests Tigers don't need a Coach.. The playing group has taken over..

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Sat 24 Jun, 2017 8:14 am

Well I think that is good to know..
Wests Tigers don't need a Coach.. The playing group has taken over..

hobbo

Post by hobbo » Sat 24 Jun, 2017 8:20 am

:blah :blah :blah
We need mongrel ..
No more plodders !

maxxy86

Post by maxxy86 » Sat 24 Jun, 2017 8:21 am

The no try didn't come back to the striping motion Ivan it was accidental offside brother. Ohh boy of boy!!! We maybe in trouble with this guy
Well its nearly time to have a 'CRACK'....Go you :sign:

hank37w

Post by hank37w » Sat 24 Jun, 2017 8:29 am

I think what he was alluding to was that it was not a strip, it was a knock on, so the off side should not have been a consideration.
Should have been a scrum with our feed.

Knuckles

Post by Knuckles » Sat 24 Jun, 2017 8:38 am

Suggestion for training this week .....practice kicking the ball into the in goal on the last tackle. Can't remember the last time we got a repeat set.

Does anyone else have any suggestions for Ivan ?

Snake

Post by Snake » Sat 24 Jun, 2017 8:54 am

Cleary went home and to the filing cabinet to see if his manage put a get out clause in his contract!

momo&medo

Post by momo&medo » Sat 24 Jun, 2017 9:55 am

Tigers rebuild hasn't even started: Cleary
Matt Encarnacion - AAP on June 24, 2017, 3:34 am

After sitting through the pain of his side's seventh consecutive NRL defeat, coach Ivan Cleary says Wests Tigers' long rebuild hasn't even begun.

With star James Tedesco nursing a sore ankle on the sidelines, the last-placed Tigers went toe-to-toe for 50 minutes with Gold Coast on Friday night before eventually falling 26-14 at Campbelltown.

The defeat leaves the bottom-placed Tigers needing to win their remaining nine games to be any chance of making the finals.

Cleary believed his side were in the hunt against the Titans but struggled to build pressure before being blown away by Jarryd Hayne.

The NSW Origin star scored two tries and set up a third in the space of 10 minutes to extend the Titans lead from two points to an unassailable 18.

"Tonight we'd actually earned opportunities and then we couldn't capitalise through either not getting it right or not finishing the set off well," Cleary said.

"When it backs on top of each other, mentally in the second half there was a real shift in the game - positive for the Titans. And Jarryd Hayne, he would've sensed that.

"He's a class player and took that opportunity."

Cleary, who has signed or re-signed at least nine players since his arrival mid-season, said the slab hadn't even been laid on his challenging rebuild of the club.

For now, the focus is merely trying to instil some belief in a team devoid of it.

"There's a lot of things that have changed really since I first got here. Without going into detail, in effect (the rebuild) hasn't really started yet," he said.

"We're just trying to concentrate on the present.

"We've got a whole team of guys in there who are working really hard, are down on confidence and just trying to work on those little aspects of the game, learn the game.

"We'll keep working hard, a few things will bounce our way and all of a sudden confidence kicks in and things can change. We'll be back on the horse next week."

Cleary also revealed Tedesco could also miss next week's clash against Newcastle but he insists the injury the NSW fullback picked up in State of Origin II isn't long-term.

"Good news is it's not syndesmosis. It's a lateral ligament, which blows up pretty radically. You can get over it reasonably quickly. Next week, I'm not sure," he said.

TigerSkins

Post by TigerSkins » Sat 24 Jun, 2017 10:23 am

Watching us play it's like we have no game plan ?? All we seem to do is run the ball back in hit ups, 1 up, or 2 up. The only time our backs see the ball is when they come in and give the forwards a rest, then if we can't make ground we resort to just kicking the ball down field, and I mean just kick the thing as far as you can .. !! What ever happened to set plays, cut out passes, wrap around, switch in plays .. ?? Both our general field kickers last night must have had their kicking boots on the wrong feet, we were horrible.

Once again our second rate plodders Lovett / MCK continue to show us why they second rate, dropped balls, gave away silly little penalties, missed tackles, took hit ups and basically walked it up and got smashed for their lack of effort. Some time we I see Lovett hit the ball up i ask myself is he a winger, he just looks too small and has no fight in him. Twal should of got the start over Lovett and MCK.

If we our mentally losing games, i certainly hope that next season we have someone in our team who can jell us altogether both on and off the field, and they follow one of Ivan's rule .."be the player your team mate want play along side of"

With 13 new signings already and by the sounds of it we have a few more to come, the Tigers side for 2018 will be a totally new squad. New players, new side, new coach (Ivan), new culture, new belief, and lets hope a new attitude .. !! Go tigers .. !!

gallagher

Post by gallagher » Sat 24 Jun, 2017 10:46 am

maxxy86 wrote:
Sat 24 Jun, 2017 8:21 am
The no try didn't come back to the striping motion Ivan it was accidental offside brother. Ohh boy of boy!!! We maybe in trouble with this guy
But they got a penalty?

magpiesteve

Post by magpiesteve » Sat 24 Jun, 2017 11:06 am

Knuckles wrote:
Sat 24 Jun, 2017 8:38 am
Suggestion for training this week .....practice kicking the ball into the in goal on the last tackle. Can't remember the last time we got a repeat set.

Does anyone else have any suggestions for Ivan ?
Sure do - penalties are poison, complete sets when the opposition lift we must follow Lovett & Chee Kam are not first graders & deplete the mental energy of their team mates. My grandmother would do a better job & would cover both their contributions with ease..

Harvey

Post by Harvey » Sat 24 Jun, 2017 11:40 am

Sounds like a JT presser

sideline eye

Post by sideline eye » Sat 24 Jun, 2017 3:59 pm

gallagher wrote:
Sat 24 Jun, 2017 10:46 am
maxxy86 wrote:
Sat 24 Jun, 2017 8:21 am
But they got a penalty?
Was not accidental offside, otherwise it would have been a scrum, not a penalty.