penalty goals

Needaname

Re: penalty goals

Post by Needaname » Sun 23 Jul, 2017 9:24 pm

You cannot tell me you were convinced we won that game at all from the start of the game. If we were to win, it wasn't going to be by a bucket load of tries. We were in that game at half time due to the following. 94% completion rate us vs 70% for eels. The 2 although is seen as a negative way did put us in front and had it not been for some silly errors we would have won it by 2 rather lose by one. The reality was Parra were all over us all game with only 40% of the ball due to their poor errors. It was always going to turn once the possession evened up.

1/4 chicken,chips

Post by 1/4 chicken,chips » Sun 23 Jul, 2017 9:41 pm

Crap tactics , never looked like they were there to win the game

VanillaThunder

Post by VanillaThunder » Sun 23 Jul, 2017 10:18 pm

The only tries we scored were a bit of Tedesco magic and MWZ out-jumping French 5m in the in-goal. Other than that, we didn't create any opportunities and looked worse in attack the closer we got to the try line.
It was the right decision to take the 2, get us level, then in front, and if Tui makes that last conversion we win the game because of the penalty goals because we weren't scoring another try.
As for the "season's over, throw it around" argument, that's exactly what Cleary is trying to get out of our system! Bad habits die hard, I'd rather us lose ugly and learn how to compete than jag a win every 4 or 5 games when everything sticks.
Last edited by VanillaThunder on Sun 23 Jul, 2017 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

formerguest
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by formerguest » Sun 23 Jul, 2017 10:29 pm

I thought we were gaining the momentum that we so often lack when the decision to take first shot was made. I would have kept the pressure on at that point.

galea#11

Post by galea#11 » Mon 24 Jul, 2017 12:55 pm

I get the whole penalty concept but 3 times ?
So much wasted opportunity

When the eels can go down in 1 set and score 6 points so quickly
Field possession is all rugby league is about now
Only3-4 teams actually defend these days
Storm sharks broncos cowboys

criwdfluffer

Post by criwdfluffer » Mon 24 Jul, 2017 12:58 pm

I didn't like it at all.

Tiger Watto

Post by Tiger Watto » Mon 24 Jul, 2017 1:05 pm

I always support taking the 2 points unless the margin is greater than 12 either way. 2 Points is better than a poor kick on the 5th giving a 7 tackle set.

I'd suggest this decision has been discussed off the field and is the way forward for Cleary until we can offer more in attack?
"Did someone buy you the internet hero play book for Christmas and you've only just started reading it?" - Nelson 21/04/2017

VanillaThunder

Post by VanillaThunder » Mon 24 Jul, 2017 1:11 pm

galea#11 wrote:
Mon 24 Jul, 2017 12:55 pm
I get the whole penalty concept but 3 times ?
So much wasted opportunity

When the eels can go down in 1 set and score 6 points so quickly
Field possession is all rugby league is about now
Only3-4 teams actually defend these days
Storm sharks broncos cowboys
I'm sure you've seen our fifth tackle options throughout the game and season. We were no certainty to get the ball past defenders legs, let alone in to the in-goal and complete a tackle to earn a repeat set.
Take the 2, get the ball back off the kick-off and go right back in to the field position grind. We don't have the skill to camp down their end for 10 minutes.
Parra lost the lead without having a chance to do anything about it, that seems the better play to me.

galea#11

Post by galea#11 » Mon 24 Jul, 2017 2:09 pm

There is no right or wrong answer
But as our attack is terrible
Our defence not good enough to hold a 2-4 point lead at all

Eels were busting through us but lucky the last passes went to ground a number of times

Or we wouldnt be talking about penalty goals
We've shown many times we cannot receive kickoff and then complete a set
We have to offload and knock
It on

upthetigers

Post by upthetigers » Mon 24 Jul, 2017 2:41 pm

The season is a write off the priority should not be grinding a win which we're awful at anyway it should be building for next year. You improve your attack by attacking the opposition's line. It was ridiculous we took the 2 points on offer every time.

Needaname

Post by Needaname » Tue 25 Jul, 2017 4:59 am

With respect, Souths started throwing the ball around at the end of last year and playing a care free style. Look where they are at this year.
The better lesson is to keep working on grinding so that when points are important again we know how to win them the right way!