Tigers undecided over halfback role

hammertime

Re: Tigers undecided over halfback role

Post by hammertime » Fri 19 Feb, 2010 12:58 pm

I agree with Footy Head.

I think we are all going to know a lot more after the Foundation Cup on Sunday. Lui has been getting some serious talking up by both Benji and Sheensy over his development in the off season, and practically none of us can factor that in... unless of course there are a few people who hang out at their training over the off season...

I want to see all 3 of Moltz,Lui and Tuqiri in our backline. Which means the 7, 1 & 2/5 respectively. If Lui can hack it. Give him the position. Even if Moltz has proven he is good there.

We all know Moltz is also good in the number 1. Anyone who can drag minichello over the sideline like he did, has the qualities for a good fullback.

Alwaysownyou

Post by Alwaysownyou » Fri 19 Feb, 2010 1:09 pm

Footy Head Goodness wrote:Issue is that Moltzen is our best option for 1 and 7. And fitting everyone in WITHOUT putting people in irregular spots is going to get hard once all are fit. I really hope that Lui develops as a 7 to become our best option there. That would solve a few issues. Round 1 for mine =

1. Moltzen
2. Lote
3. Lawrence
4. Ayshford
5. Ryan
6. Marshall
7. Lui

Gives us 1 speed and 1 size for each wing/centre pairing. When Tui comes back we have a bit of a log jam and it will depend on who is going best out of Ryan, Ayshford and Lui as to who gets cut and what the make up ends up. Unless Sheens decides its best for Tui or Ayshford to be our lock.
Lazarus and Mullaney are top notch full backs. We don't need to have Lui in the halves.
MOTH and proud.

cqtiger

Post by cqtiger » Fri 19 Feb, 2010 9:34 pm

Only by reading posts on here and with some news in the rags and on the box, do I have the understanding that Marshall and Lui have been training as the halves all through the entire off season. Dumb as I am, I would surmise that Lui will be the starting halfback until he shows worthwhile evidence that he is not quite up to it. The job is his until he stuffs up.

Sheens' has had to plan it this way - Moltzen at 1, Lui at 7 - because the wildcard in Lote was not resolved (and is still not completely) and Tomato's form a big question mark.

If we win a few in a row the side won't change a lot - and as is Sheens' way, he won't change the combinations even if we are losing narrowly.

'nuff said
If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said a faster horse
– Henry Ford

AmericanHistoryX

Post by AmericanHistoryX » Fri 19 Feb, 2010 9:37 pm

Is Lui that bad?
Clouds of Dust, Buckets of Blood

"They overcame the impossible by doing the unthinkable"

alien

Post by alien » Fri 19 Feb, 2010 9:40 pm

I think Sheens might just be giving Lui some more experience in firstgrade but wont have him in firstgrade all year. I think when Tuqiri gets here Moltzen will move back to halfback and Tuqiri to fullback.

Wildcat777

Post by Wildcat777 » Fri 19 Feb, 2010 9:43 pm

Isnt it great to have options? In 2008 I can't recall who was there..other than Benji and Robbie. Biy we have come along way. We have true depth for the very first time. I saw a post somewhere on the site. We could actually field 2 teams. And I don't think that neither would get the wooden spoon. In saying all that how much are the Tigers paying for the spoon. I would not feel so shattered if I had a lazy $100 in that case. LOL But I do believe that 100 on the nose would be a more realistic choice - we will be hard work!
Do not go where the path may lead go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Peaches

Post by Peaches » Fri 19 Feb, 2010 10:19 pm

With Tuiaki out for a fair while I suspect if Lui shows promise and all is well in regards to injury and form, Lote will have to be happy with a wing spot or centre if he is real lucky. You don't change a winning 1,6,7,9 combination. Well your not supposed to but Sheens did it last year when he moved Moltzen if memory serves me right and we all know what happened than.

AmericanHistoryX

Post by AmericanHistoryX » Fri 19 Feb, 2010 10:26 pm

well, we know what happened then, Lui came on the scene, it seems the story didnt end last year. The players and the coaching staff know they're stuff, maybe , its Lui time - its a long season and a football career is so short. just do it. Is Lui our man?
Clouds of Dust, Buckets of Blood

"They overcame the impossible by doing the unthinkable"

Granto87

Post by Granto87 » Fri 19 Feb, 2010 10:35 pm

AmericanHistoryX wrote:well, we know what happened then, Lui came on the scene, it seems the story didnt end last year. The players and the coaching staff know they're stuff, maybe , its Lui time - its a long season and a football career is so short. just do it. Is Lui our man?

I say give him ago hes still young and has had all off season to get use to our plays, hopefuly he fulfils the potential he has. Lui> Morris :D

helmesy

Post by helmesy » Fri 19 Feb, 2010 10:40 pm

I thought Lui was very good in patches in his first grade appearences last year.

Yes defence is an issue but as we have seen with others this can be improved.

He is creative and fast, seems to have time on his side wghen he has the ball in hand and what I also like about Lui is that he looks robust.

Give him a chance guys.

alien

Post by alien » Fri 19 Feb, 2010 10:49 pm

helmesy wrote:I thought Lui was very good in patches in his first grade appearences last year.

Yes defence is an issue but as we have seen with others this can be improved.

He is creative and fast, seems to have time on his side wghen he has the ball in hand and what I also like about Lui is that he looks robust.

Give him a chance guys.
He is robust and he can break the line. Also, he has a pretty good long kick and I think Sheens sees him as someone who can take pressure off Farah and Marshall when it comes to the team kicking. He doesn't look all that quick though. Moltzen is very quick and is good on the right side of the field. Lui is better on the left side but we already have Benj on that side.

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Fri 19 Feb, 2010 11:12 pm

It will be Moltzen.....
Wests Tigers don't need a Coach.. The playing group has taken over..

Alwaysownyou

Post by Alwaysownyou » Mon 22 Feb, 2010 2:11 pm

AmericanHistoryX wrote:Is Lui that bad?
Worst player to play for the Tigers in 4 or 5 years.
MOTH and proud.

Pokies

Post by Pokies » Mon 22 Feb, 2010 4:24 pm

Alwaysownyou wrote:
AmericanHistoryX wrote:Is Lui that bad?
Worst player to play for the Tigers in 4 or 5 years.

Can you give reasons for why you believe this?
I highly doubt a 19 year old that has only played 3 regular NRL games can be classified as our worst player in the last 4-5 years

IronTiger

Post by IronTiger » Mon 22 Feb, 2010 5:12 pm

Thats a bit unfair he has been thrown in and i don't believe he is ready. he needs more time in u20's, I think TS should be either looking at Taumata to fill the role and play him next week for at least 40 and as Benji looks like he will be missing also a good opportunity to play Mullaney at 1 for 80 minutes with Tim in 6.

I would like to see this year at least opening rounds:

1: Mullaney (despite his size and experience he is a natural no1 and this will come through, gives us extra kicking options)

6: Benji
7: Moltzen

Muffstar

Post by Muffstar » Mon 22 Feb, 2010 5:32 pm

If Lote is back for round 1 maybe he will go to fullback and Moltzen at 7 and Marshall at 6.

IronTiger

Post by IronTiger » Mon 22 Feb, 2010 5:48 pm

Muffstar wrote:If Lote is back for round 1 maybe he will go to fullback and Moltzen at 7 and Marshall at 6.
I just can't see even if LT is back next week he would be ready to play round 1

T-REXX

Post by T-REXX » Mon 22 Feb, 2010 6:11 pm

some are saying Lui is not ready yet but alot want Mullaney in the full back role..

to me we have Moltzen who should be 1/2 back and Lote on wing and Taumata at F/B. all experienced in some way or form..