Benji: The day I left Wests Tigers I wanted to return

TigerSJ

Re: Benji: The day I left Wests Tigers I wanted to return

Post by TigerSJ » Fri 09 Feb, 2018 2:38 pm

Geeez some of you blokes are heartless! I thought his Player Profile interview was great. He is obviously an intelligent guy who is capable of expressing himself well. He genuinely loves the Tigers, and when I look back at his stint at the club over the years, I think he deserves the respect and accolades of all Tigers fans.
The guy has been an absolute legend of the game and played a huge role in the way the game has changed. There was a time when every kid that watched the game wanted to be just like him - how many players can you say that about?
He is the first to admit that he didn't handle things well in the past, but I believe him when he says that people took his confidence as a sort of "cockyness". Now he comes across to me as a guy who is extremely comfortable in his own skin and is genuinely trying to achieve something for the club. I am glad he's back!

Fade To Black

Post by Fade To Black » Fri 09 Feb, 2018 3:53 pm

Not being heartless, just honest. He would struggle massively defensively at hooker. He is a club legend without doubt. His "cockiness" at wearing an Auckland Blues RU jersey while he was still playing for WT wasn't cockiness, it was arrogance IMO. Glad to have him back though, as long as he is just another player on the roster- no preferential treatment anymore.

Eddie

Post by Eddie » Sat 10 Feb, 2018 10:02 am

TigerSJ wrote:
Fri 09 Feb, 2018 2:38 pm
Geeez some of you blokes are heartless! I thought his Player Profile interview was great. He is obviously an intelligent guy who is capable of expressing himself well. He genuinely loves the Tigers, and when I look back at his stint at the club over the years, I think he deserves the respect and accolades of all Tigers fans.
The guy has been an absolute legend of the game and played a huge role in the way the game has changed. There was a time when every kid that watched the game wanted to be just like him - how many players can you say that about?
He is the first to admit that he didn't handle things well in the past, but I believe him when he says that people took his confidence as a sort of "cockyness". Now he comes across to me as a guy who is extremely comfortable in his own skin and is genuinely trying to achieve something for the club. I am glad he's back!
Very well said.

I think he will be in 1st grade most of the season.

These days having a utility on the bench is hardly something new.

Plus the chance of Brooks and Reynolds not getting an injury at some point are pretty slim.

hammertime

Post by hammertime » Sat 10 Feb, 2018 3:24 pm

If we had more players love the club like Benji does, we wouldn't be cellar dwellers year after year.

We need to be a club that stirs emotion as we're never going to compete with a chequebook. We've actually always been that type of club, it's just that we haven't had effective management before to control and utilise it.

NT Tiger

Post by NT Tiger » Sat 10 Feb, 2018 4:03 pm

hammertime wrote:
Sat 10 Feb, 2018 3:24 pm
If we had more players love the club like Benji does, we wouldn't be cellar dwellers year after year.

We need to be a club that stirs emotion as we're never going to compete with a chequebook. We've actually always been that type of club, it's just that we haven't had effective management before to control and utilise it.
......or a Captain capable of encouraging it in others.
"Quality Stupidity"

hammertime

Post by hammertime » Sat 10 Feb, 2018 5:54 pm

NT Tiger wrote:
Sat 10 Feb, 2018 4:03 pm
hammertime wrote:

......or a Captain capable of encouraging it in others.
True that.

The_Doc

Post by The_Doc » Sun 18 Feb, 2018 4:22 pm

I think Benji will play the same roll for us as he did in Bris, off the bench or cover for injuries.
I think he did quite well in that roll, he knows hes not the main man anymore and i dont think he would have a huge issue being a mentor in ISP he did that in Brisbane.

Blackpearl

Post by Blackpearl » Mon 19 Feb, 2018 7:36 am

hammertime wrote:

The return of benji, a club legend, has so much upside to the club in many ways. Glad he is back at the weststigers and looking forward to the new season
I dislike sowfs immensely