Seen enough

innsaneink

Re: Seen enough

Post by innsaneink » Sun 25 Feb, 2018 11:08 am

I think a lot of teams will back their D against us...spoiling our attack with constant indescretions....this is why Brooks and co need to get it right first time.

"Disappointing"
"Living and dying"
"Slashing wrists"

Anyone concerned by what they saw last night is apparently over reacting...."its only a trial"

Excuses coming from some quick = personally i like to see us compete no matter what it is......i heard the same things last year after the 9s....we werent in the contest last night....hope things change soon but im feeling the same as I have the last 5 or 6 years

Spud Murphy

Post by Spud Murphy » Sun 25 Feb, 2018 11:18 am

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Sun 25 Feb, 2018 9:38 am
The Old Fox wrote:
Sun 25 Feb, 2018 9:35 am
Russell wrote:
Sun 25 Feb, 2018 8:59 am
The Old Fox wrote:
Sun 25 Feb, 2018 8:39 am
The Sharks fielded a strong team that came to break heads unlike the Tigers who are still sorting out positions that type of result would be expected ..only a fool would be upset with the loss last night..No Twai, E.T or Mc queen or Marshall ..perhaps 2 or 3 ISP players to step up..centres,fullback wingers combination unsorted I don't understand why people are living and dying on 1 result.
Agree with what you are saying - the season hasn't started, and people are slashing their wrists over a trial.

I am sure Ivan has a much clearer picture after the two trials and will have a better picture again after the first couple of rounds. It takes time to build confidence, combinations, trust etc. I am sure we will get there but it will not be in Round 1.
That's right,not to mention the Sharks will probably be a top 4 team half of their backline have played state of origin the only one missing was Gallen....we weren't going to steamroll them like the Cowboys under strength figuring out key positions and combinations ..forget to mention Liddle, who will probably be the resident hooker when back on deck and fit.
Sharks will miss the 8.
:pray: you are right, that would make my year! Can't see it happening though, but we can dream.

Snake

Post by Snake » Sun 25 Feb, 2018 11:29 am

Cleary has a lot of work to do before round 1...anyone that was there last night and seen both ISP and 1st grade come away thinking Ok that was not what I was expecting .
There are a LOT of players that are a long way away from there best it was all to see last night .The one point that I was disappointed about was absolutely no shape or continuity in any attacking considering Cleary has had six months to work on this !
I came away not confident of much success in the short term maybe as the season moves along but the first 5 rounds could be very ugly but this will be another rebuilding season.

Magpie Magic

Post by Magpie Magic » Sun 25 Feb, 2018 12:29 pm

Mac tiger wrote:
Sun 25 Feb, 2018 10:25 am
The Old Fox wrote:
Russell wrote:
The Old Fox wrote:
Sun 25 Feb, 2018 8:39 am
The Sharks fielded a strong team that came to break heads unlike the Tigers who are still sorting out positions that type of result would be expected ..only a fool would be upset with the loss last night..No Twai, E.T or Mc queen or Marshall ..perhaps 2 or 3 ISP players to step up..centres,fullback wingers combination unsorted I don't understand why people are living and dying on 1 result.
Agree with what you are saying - the season hasn't started, and people are slashing their wrists over a trial.

I am sure Ivan has a much clearer picture after the two trials and will have a better picture again after the first couple of rounds. It takes time to build confidence, combinations, trust etc. I am sure we will get there but it will not be in Round 1.
That's right,not to mention the Sharks will probably be a top 4 team half of their backline have played state of origin the only one missing was Gallen....we weren't going to steamroll them like the Cowboys under strength figuring out key positions and combinations ..forget to mention Liddle, who will probably be the resident hooker when back on deck and fit.
Sharks were terrific last night, we matched them in the forwards but their backline made the difference - slick, fast and powerful. It wasn't a bad result for us IMO - most of Sharks tries were off our mistakes, one lucky ricochet and we had one disallowed. The main thing the Sharks did was give away a lot of penalties whenever we had a roll on or we were in their 20. They backed there defence and waited for us to make a mistake. It was bad for the game and didn't allow us to build much of a rhythm.
Cronulla played tough like premiership proper and we didn't and they won 24 to 12.
Listening to Cleary at other times it seems 100% commitment and toughness will be our main game plan. Obviously they didn't want to put their bodies on the line last night fair enough. They will against rosters and roosters seem a bit under done atm.

Tiger Steve

Post by Tiger Steve » Sun 25 Feb, 2018 1:03 pm

Harvey wrote:
Sun 25 Feb, 2018 1:25 am
Tiger Steve wrote:
Sat 24 Feb, 2018 10:41 pm
The sharks were almost full strength and scored a fluke try from a rebound. Yes we were ordinary but they were very slick. I can’t remember a handling error in their first half. We were nowhere near full strength.
Positives:
- McQueen was very involved in Reggie’s doing slot of work off the ball.
- Aloiai was very solid
- Fonua will be good for us
- Thompson will push Tui
- Gamble is a player we need to keep
- we continued to fight
- Lawrence was in everything

Now I’ve never said a bad word about Brooks but our 5th tackle options continue to be of real concern. I’m not sure what the answer is as it is increasingly looking like Brooks kicking game falters under pressure and he is not able to come up with a way around this problem.

Overall tonight was disappointing but way to early to be tossing the toys out of the cot.
Are you kidding?
McQueen hid from contact and obviously needs time to build confidence on returning from injury.
Fonua is not fit and should be nowhere near first grade early in the year.
Nofa struggles in defence. I had blamed inside defenders in the past, but tonight it was him. He needs to improve or play lower grades.
Aloiai should be the first picked. Lawrence was good. Grant has been the best front rower for the last 2 weeks.
Our halves were poor. Thompson was solid, but nothing more. If that is the first choice fullback, then it could ve long year.
No Harvey I’m not kidding.
McQueen was first on all the kick chases, he dived on three loose balls to get/retain possession, his defence was good considering
Fonua ran strong and was hard to put down.
Maybe you didn’t read my post carefully - I actually said the night was overall disappointing BUT there were positives in my opinion. I for one won’t be carrying on like a goose and overreacting to a trial match
“Peanuts! Get ya peanuts - in the shell or sugar coated!” Leichhardt memories.

Eddie

Post by Eddie » Sun 25 Feb, 2018 1:11 pm

Snake wrote:
Sun 25 Feb, 2018 11:29 am
Cleary has a lot of work to do before round 1...anyone that was there last night and seen both ISP and 1st grade come away thinking Ok that was not what I was expecting .
There are a LOT of players that are a long way away from there best it was all to see last night .The one point that I was disappointed about was absolutely no shape or continuity in any attacking considering Cleary has had six months to work on this !
I came away not confident of much success in the short term maybe as the season moves along but the first 5 rounds could be very ugly but this will be another rebuilding season.
Snake I was there and sadly it was a bit like what I was expecting. Tedesco not there to bail us out or help our attacking shape. Who are the targets out wide that are going to worry teams?

As harsh as it sounds you cant polish a turd.

We dont have good enough players in key positions for mine to score enough points this year.

That being said i strongly agree with your points about quite a few players being well below their best.

Our pack was dominated and our attack looked like they practiced all summer. I think Cleary needs to find this team a distinctive style because telling them to go out there and play off the cuff will not work (Not saying he did this)

I know its only a trial however like you said Im even more worried about our prospects now and I had us finishing 15th before last night.

Tacky

Post by Tacky » Sun 25 Feb, 2018 1:16 pm

Something tells me we'll see Marshall play 7 at some point this season.
Pres. MCK fan club

MCK fan club members: VP hobbo. Spud Murphy. WestsBenTigers. wt01. TigerKapa. TigersBusDriver. Clearyweareone. kh_canada. sheer64. Magpie Magic. tigermac88. LeichhardtTiger. beachtiger. TSupps05. underdog. rex2ce. teddy23. Tigerdon. willow. TrueTiger. tigerbenji. Balmainbred. hank37w. criwdfluffer. Ken Y.

Harvey

Post by Harvey » Sun 25 Feb, 2018 1:17 pm

The difference in Marsters between last week & this week was massive. Last week he looked like a weapon, yesterday he looked like a liability.
Kev was good, but I think Milne has to play. He might add some spark.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Sun 25 Feb, 2018 1:32 pm

Milne to.me.seems.like an.athlete.rather than a footballer....i hope he has.some footwork as his brute size and strength will only take him so far.
Hes still a.developing player as is marsters

ricksen

Post by ricksen » Sun 25 Feb, 2018 2:16 pm

We were well down on intensity compared to the Sharks - not a surprise that they dominated us in the first half. Mentality was the issue more than anything.
Cleary will have the 17 fired up properly for rd 1, so I'm not too concerned about that.
Brooks is a real worry with his kicking game (or lack thereof), and we're a back or two short. Really need Milne or Fonua to exceed expectations, or else try and lure someone over before the deadline.

Nelson

Post by Nelson » Sun 25 Feb, 2018 2:25 pm

ricksen wrote:
Sun 25 Feb, 2018 2:16 pm
We were well down on intensity compared to the Sharks - not a surprise that they dominated us in the first half. Mentality was the issue more than anything.
Cleary will have the 17 fired up properly for rd 1, so I'm not too concerned about that.
Brooks is a real worry with his kicking game (or lack thereof), and we're a back or two short. Really need Milne or Fonua to exceed expectations, or else try and lure someone over before the deadline.
Some of those returning from injury would have just been getting a run under their belts. Guys like Matulino and McQueen I wouldn't have wanted to see busting out 110% in a trial. There's still 2 weeks to get their bodies to peak performance and risking re-injury by going too hard too soon with nothing to gain would've been dopey.

ricksen

Post by ricksen » Sun 25 Feb, 2018 2:39 pm

Nelson wrote:
Sun 25 Feb, 2018 2:25 pm
ricksen wrote:
Sun 25 Feb, 2018 2:16 pm
Some of those returning from injury would have just been getting a run under their belts. Guys like Matulino and McQueen I wouldn't have wanted to see busting out 110% in a trial. There's still 2 weeks to get their bodies to peak performance and risking re-injury by going too hard too soon with nothing to gain would've been dopey.
Yep, that's where I'm at as well. FWIW I was impressed with Matulino - think he'll be great for us this year once he's up to speed.

diedpretty

Post by diedpretty » Sun 25 Feb, 2018 2:48 pm

Spud Murphy wrote:
Sun 25 Feb, 2018 11:18 am
GNR4LIFE wrote:
The Old Fox wrote:
Russell wrote:

Sharks will miss the 8.
:pray: you are right, that would make my year! Can't see it happening though, but we can dream.
It will be interesting to see what they do with Gallen as they look a better side without him.

Telltails

Post by Telltails » Sun 25 Feb, 2018 2:51 pm

Spud Murphy wrote:
GNR4LIFE wrote:
The Old Fox wrote:
Russell wrote:

Sharks will miss the 8.
Based on that if the Sharks are going to miss the 8 better start praying for us Spud!
I see them as much stronger team across the paddock and if they are not top 8, then we have to be down with the cellar dwellars again.

Tweed Tiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by Tweed Tiger » Sun 25 Feb, 2018 2:53 pm

Sharks will be a top 8 side, possibly top 4. They have great defence that gave us little room and good structure in attack.

Eddie

Post by Eddie » Sun 25 Feb, 2018 2:54 pm

Sharks will not miss the 8. Have a look at their side. Their lengths ahead of us.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Sun 25 Feb, 2018 2:58 pm

Yeah and wait until Moylan clicks....he was almost invisible ( will.take him time to fit in)last night but despite being a flog is a terrific player

Spud Murphy

Post by Spud Murphy » Sun 25 Feb, 2018 3:20 pm

diedpretty wrote:
Sun 25 Feb, 2018 2:48 pm
Spud Murphy wrote:
GNR4LIFE wrote:
The Old Fox wrote:

Sharks will miss the 8.
It will be interesting to see what they do with Gallen as they look a better side without him.
This has been coming for a while. No doubt Gallen has been an inspirational leader for them in the past, but I think he is playing on one season too many. He is too predictable and one dimensional now to be of any great value to a team that is evolving. Should've hung up the boots for the boxing gloves at the end of last season, imo.