Brooks

tonza

Re: Brooks

Post by tonza » Sun 11 Mar, 2018 11:35 am

I thought Brooks had one of his best games for us in a long time. It will be interesting to see how he goes over the next 5 weeks or more, because you just cant keep ignoring the numerous opportunities Gamble created in state cup. Admittedly against weaker opposition but he was definitely a class above. Imagine our first grade players having those opportunities to play off.

stevied

Post by stevied » Sun 11 Mar, 2018 11:39 am

Pawsandclaws wrote:
Sat 10 Mar, 2018 10:49 pm
Geo. wrote:
Sat 10 Mar, 2018 9:35 pm
I think Brooks and Marshal outplayed Cronk and Cornish on the back of the forwards...
Saving one is as good as scoring one. Brooks pulling down a runaway Ferguson from behind was a good effort after Taylor was steamrolled.
Bit of irony there with Taylor the top tackler but, who indirectly costs us a sin bin and two points, and Brooks, who did little else positive, saves us six points...Brooks is one of only two genuinely quick players in the Tigers side.

stevied

Post by stevied » Sun 11 Mar, 2018 11:43 am

jrtiger wrote:
Sat 10 Mar, 2018 11:40 pm
He was patchy. Thought his kicking game was above average and should've had a try assist (Benji's only gaffe of the game). Actually applauded him for his professional foul, we were shot to pieces on the right side if he doesn't commit to that play. Combined with Benji well, but the service he received was below par and his backline didn't gel, especially Naiqama, the bloke needs the axe. Next few weeks will give us more of an idea of the role he will play this season, but I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt at this point.
Yes, Kev was our weakest player. Bad pass, dropped ball and poor defensive read that cost us 6 points. I like him but he is really not good enough. Unfortunately, there is no one is ISP who is putting their hand up to replace him.

clontarfkid

Post by clontarfkid » Sun 11 Mar, 2018 11:46 am

Brooks has 4 to 8 weeks(the duration of Reynolds hamstring recovery)to show the world why a Benji/Reynolds combo in the halves wld be preferable.
On the subject of opportunities,Id sub McQueen for Lawrence tomorrow,and milne for Kev...both incumbents the weakest links yesterday,and two meritorious replacements.
Have no room for Nofa at this stage,altho Tui on thin ice if he didn't kick that winning conversion

hobbo

Post by hobbo » Sun 11 Mar, 2018 12:00 pm

clontarfkid wrote:
Sun 11 Mar, 2018 11:46 am
Brooks has 4 to 8 weeks(the duration of Reynolds hamstring recovery)to show the world why a Benji/Reynolds combo in the halves wld be preferable.
On the subject of opportunities,Id sub McQueen for Lawrence tomorrow,and milne for Kev...both incumbents the weakest links yesterday,and two meritorious replacements.
Have no room for Nofa at this stage,altho Tui on thin ice if he didn't kick that winning conversion
This sums up my thoughts exactly .
Lawrence's and Kev's contracts won't be renewed once their current ones expire .
We have better replacements already waiting .
We need mongrel ..
No more plodders !

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Sun 11 Mar, 2018 12:06 pm

hobbo wrote:
Sun 11 Mar, 2018 12:00 pm
clontarfkid wrote:
Lawrence's and Kev's contracts won't be renewed once their current ones expire .
Idk how you say that about Kev when he was re-signed last year. As for Lawrence, would not be surprised if he did get another contract. Cleary respects him.

cktiger

Post by cktiger » Sun 11 Mar, 2018 12:09 pm

Boonboon2 wrote:
Sun 11 Mar, 2018 8:24 am
Just watched the first half again and he defended really well, kicked really well, generally through some nice passes one lovely one to Lawrence and he threw them at the line which means it was getting us forward. In the first half at least others broke down our attacking shots - Benji with a poor pass, Godinet with a poor pass,etc but it never fell apart at Brooks
You obviously didn’t see the pass he threw behind everybody in the backline on the last tackle 10 metres from the rorters line lol
I seriously hope Brooks gets it all together - his defence has improved heaps from last year but he doesn’t seem to have the confidence to make the calls.

Swordy

Post by Swordy » Sun 11 Mar, 2018 12:09 pm

Brooks outplayed Cronk, and he is the million dollar man!
Sunshine Coast resident.
Tigers fan since birth in 1969.
Fond memories of Leichhardt Oval every home game as a kid with my Dad!

Lukic

Post by Lukic » Sun 11 Mar, 2018 12:10 pm

Nothing new from Brooks. He's fast and that's about it. Offers little else. Marshall steered us around the park a lot better than Brooks has in the past.

He'll have to show marked improvement to keep Reynolds out of the line-up when he returns and even then, I actually think Gamble at 14 with Reynolds/Marshall in the halves is a better option since Gamble offers more utility value.

maxxy86

Post by maxxy86 » Sun 11 Mar, 2018 12:10 pm

It was a pass mark from me on his performance considering it was a forwards dominated game. It was clunky at times with shifts but that's to be expected with Reynolds pulling out.
Think we'd have to keep the same
17 until the Grub is back. One other point his short kicks with his right boot are paying off better than his natural foot.
Well its nearly time to have a 'CRACK'....Go you :sign:

hobbo

Post by hobbo » Sun 11 Mar, 2018 12:16 pm

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Sun 11 Mar, 2018 12:06 pm
hobbo wrote:
Sun 11 Mar, 2018 12:00 pm
clontarfkid wrote:
Idk how you say that about Kev when he was re-signed last year. As for Lawrence, would not be surprised if he did get another contract. Cleary respects him.
kev was being shipped around If I recall correctly ..?.. And was about to head of to the UK .
Ivan threw him a lifeline for one more year .
Lawrence has done ok to last this long but why would you want to renew him again when there's better players available .
Respect , yes I can understand , but ability is another !
We need mongrel ..
No more plodders !

Pawsandclaws

Post by Pawsandclaws » Sun 11 Mar, 2018 12:17 pm

stevied wrote:
Sun 11 Mar, 2018 11:39 am
Pawsandclaws wrote:
Sat 10 Mar, 2018 10:49 pm
Geo. wrote:
Sat 10 Mar, 2018 9:35 pm
I think Brooks and Marshal outplayed Cronk and Cornish on the back of the forwards...
Saving one is as good as scoring one. Brooks pulling down a runaway Ferguson from behind was a good effort after Taylor was steamrolled.
Bit of irony there with Taylor the top tackler but, who indirectly costs us a sin bin and two points, and Brooks, who did little else positive, saves us six points...Brooks is one of only two genuinely quick players in the Tigers side.
Brooks put the nice grubber in that nearly resulted in a try for Benji. Brooks is one of the few attacking option and didn't the Roosters know it with him being targeted.

If Reynolds is out for 5 weeks, to me this is the perfect opportunity to bring Gamble onto the interchange and to learn from Benji.

goldcoast tiger

Post by goldcoast tiger » Sun 11 Mar, 2018 12:26 pm

Cultured Bogan wrote:
Sun 11 Mar, 2018 12:40 am
On Brooks, he was defensively solid, his kicking game was better than usual. That short kick he threaded through Teddy for Benji was well weighted, something he's struggled with, and toward the end he placed kicks to corners well.

Still plenty of improvement for him, but he was better than what we're accustomed to, so it's a step in the right direction. He will have no choice to improve now, Benji has shown his hand and Reynolds and Gamble are also there. Here's hoping he continues to improve.

His sin binning was garbage, seen plenty worse go unpunished.
If you’re going to walk forward in the play the ball and kick the ball you should expect to be binned,

momo&medo

Post by momo&medo » Sun 11 Mar, 2018 12:36 pm

TIGER wrote:
Sat 10 Mar, 2018 9:44 pm
If Benji doesn't play we don't win that game today.
Very true.
I don’t want to be overly critical of Brooks performance however there is a guy in ISP that is showing great promise and both Marshall and Reynolds can play half.

snowleopard

Post by snowleopard » Sun 11 Mar, 2018 12:37 pm

Looking at the game the longer it went the more Benji took control of the direction of the team and dominated Broooks. Not a bad thing for us at the moment. What I did really like was the Benji reading of the game when we had to score. He worked with Brooks to setup the Benji no try and there was a play where Benji went to the sideline and Brooks kicked for him that nearly came off. Maybe the next 4 weeks whilst Reynolds is out will see Benji running the game more than Brooks and them working together to find that attacking spark we desperately need. The other thing both did well , especially Benji, was reading the opposition attack, targeting their play makers and shutting them down. Benji tackle on Tedesco that Marsters Finished off was gold.

stevied

Post by stevied » Sun 11 Mar, 2018 3:13 pm

clontarfkid wrote:
Did you watch the ISP yesterday? McQueen was virtually invisible except for a few solid tackles. We need someone who can bend the line and neither Lawrence or McQueen can do that. If you want to bend the line think Sue, Felise or one or two other forwards who impressed Your other suggestion, Milne, also had a very quiet game, although I concede he probably would be better than Kev.

clontarfkid

Post by clontarfkid » Sun 11 Mar, 2018 6:34 pm

I didn't see ISP,but am disappointed to hear both McQueen and Milne had little impact....I thought Milne was outstanding in RLWC,and was surprised Kev(who has had the best part of a decade to show hes up to NRL standard and invariably fallen short)got the nod.He still made too many errors for mine.
Lawrence(who has also had a large chunk of time to prove himself as a backrower)simply isn't big enough to impact in either attack or defence,great guy that he may be..its time t move on.There are others with same work rate and more impact

Tiger Steve

Post by Tiger Steve » Sun 11 Mar, 2018 7:21 pm

clontarfkid wrote:
Sun 11 Mar, 2018 6:34 pm
I didn't see ISP,but am disappointed to hear both McQueen and Milne had little impact....I thought Milne was outstanding in RLWC,and was surprised Kev(who has had the best part of a decade to show hes up to NRL standard and invariably fallen short)got the nod.He still made too many errors for mine.
Lawrence(who has also had a large chunk of time to prove himself as a backrower)simply isn't big enough to impact in either attack or defence,great guy that he may be..its time t move on.There are others with same work rate and more impact
So Lawrence hasn’t proven himself - the guy who was our captain yesterday? Sorry, I must be watching another game. He is always solid and works tirelessly. One of the first picked IMHO.
“Peanuts! Get ya peanuts - in the shell or sugar coated!” Leichhardt memories.