My Pros and Cons From Yesterday.....

Re: My Pros and Cons From Yesterday.....

Post by 2041 » Sun 11 Mar, 2018 10:49 am

Pros

Defence. The second half of the first half was about as good as I've seen from the Tigers. Full commitment, but more importantly great structure. A couple of times the Roosters ran back row forwards into lines that would have cut us to ribbons in years past but were absolutely smashed at the line. Not many tackles missed and virtually every time the cover was on hand to the extent that you'd barely notice the miss.

Generating second phase, especially coming out of defence. I'm starting to suspect that with Brooks's pace and Reynolds being primarily a ball runner (and no great attacking threat in the outside backs) the game plan will be to attack around the ruck and try to punch holes with second phase ball. While this didn't pay off in massive attacking breaks today it at least meant we weren't kicking from deep in our own half too often and it saved the forwards a heap of work. I've just looked up the team stats: Tigers had 19 offloads yesterday, Manly had 17 on Friday night and no other team is above 13 so far.

Marshall looked good. The hamstring twins in the first choice halves are obviously going to miss a lot of time this season so we can all be thankful the first choice backup (and second choice, if Gamble's reggies performance is indicative) actually offers something this season.

Team effort. I'm hesitant to overplay this because as I say I think the defensive structure was much more important to the outcome, but it's clearly going to be critical in this horrific run of games at the start of the year for the whole side to aim up, buy in to what the coach is doing and play for each other. I was encouraged to see Nofo in the team song after the game, for instance, and to hear Marshall saying in his interview that there is no hierarchy. It's a tough trot ahead so good to have even one win in the bag to focus on.

The middle forwards in particular looked very good, with no drop off when the bench came on - in fact Twal nearly topped the forwards for metres gained. A tremendous relief not to see Grant coming on with 30 minutes gone and just waiting for giant holes to open up round the ruck.

Cons

Attacking threat was minimal the whole game. Let's be honest, if that pass doesn't clunk Chee Kam on the bonce we'd not be talking about a win here, and the Roosters absolutely butchered two first half tries that could have taken the game down quite a different path. However good the defence is, we're not going to win 10-8 every week. It's all well and good to say "the attack will come" but I'd have liked to have seen some more signs of it. For instance, it took 70 minutes for the Tigers to realise that the Roosters were vulnerable down their left side and send some serious traffic that way. Marsters should have had twice as much ball.

Brooks. I've been very much in the "give him time" camp, but I think we all know it's defecate or get off the pot time for Brooks this year and he's going to need to show more in attack unless he likes the look of the Lancashire mill towns. A couple or real clunkers late in the set on a day when a try or two was likely to make the difference just isn't good enough.

Naiqama. On the up side, he was more involved and visible than more or less any back. On the down side, if you're going to use a back that heavily it would be ideal if they weren't hopeless. I was surprised to see Naiqama in the starting centres given his defensive weakness and the fact that I thought we'd signed to bolster the position. Another one who needs to improve or go by the wayside, and TBH I'm not sure where the improvement is coming from.

Neither good nor bad

I'm not bothered about Lolohea - yet. I seem to recall lots of commentary about how fat Greg Inglis had got when he first went to Souths and I believe that turned out ok. Some guys just need to play themselves into fighting weight and hopefully Lolohea is one. I saw enough from him yesterday to make me believe there's a player in there and he could still be a bargain. If he's still looking sluggish in round seven or eight I reserve the right to change my mind, but for now he's not a weak link and I think there's more to come.

New signings overall. Packer was good, Matulino was ok, Thompson did his job well. The Reynolds injury is worrying. I know everyone acts like injuries are entirely unpredictable, but this simply isn't the case with certain types of injury - and one of those is soft tissue injuries like hamstrings. This contract could turn out to be an absolute albatross if we're carrying a crock for four years, and it really couldn't have started any worse. Fingers crossed here, but not with a huge degree of confidence especially given I wasn't expecting much from Reynolds anyway. I know where we were sat it was mostly shrugs when we found out he wasn't playing.

Snake

Post by Snake » Sun 11 Mar, 2018 11:02 am

OzLukeH wrote:
Sun 11 Mar, 2018 10:24 am
GNR4LIFE wrote:
Sun 11 Mar, 2018 8:49 am
Again with the Tui body shape comments :roll:

As for the atmosphere, it has to be one of the biggest myths that there is no atmosphere at ANZ if there are less then 80k. The atmosphere was great. Not sure where you were sitting.
Sitting in the members.....
And I personally haven't read any of the body shape comments yet....but just my ramblings
We were sitting in the members and the atmosphere in the last 20 min was awesome , the food was priced Ok and it was all HOT , there is always the adds on Ch9 and the huge atmosphere in the lounge room . Negativity for the sake of it there is a good atmosphere in the stadium when over 16k.

Sabre

Post by Sabre » Sun 11 Mar, 2018 11:33 am

Geo. wrote:
Sun 11 Mar, 2018 9:07 am
Pro's

We won

Cons

5th $3 Pie was cold in the middle..
So Pies 6 through to 23 were okay then?

I got stung on food. $12 for a chips and coke after using my members discount. So much for the fan first initiative. Couldn't find the $3 pies near where I was sitting.

kingbrooks

Post by kingbrooks » Sun 11 Mar, 2018 11:53 am

Just a couple that haven't been said.

Cons
- Hooker, I felt Godinet looked really lost with our structure in attack. Kept taking steps, and slowing it down a bit. Defensively he makes the tackle but gets driven back every time, meaning they get a quicker play the ball next tackle. We actually really tightened up I felt when MM came on.

Pros
- The punch that guys gave us going forward like Packer, Matulino, Eisenhuth and Rochow

momo&medo

Post by momo&medo » Sun 11 Mar, 2018 12:27 pm

Pros
Performance of both the WT and ISP Magpies.
It seen that the back up squad has some depth and quality.
The teams seem weary well prepared and coached.
Fitness levels are good.
The resilience and patience shown.
Thompson, Marsters, Marshall, all the starting forwards.
The interchange players.

Cons
Fullback position not settled.
Naiguama is not my solution for the 2nd centre spot.
Hooking spot still up for grabs. Wish we had Farah back
Brooks hesitant to take the line on. His defence has improved however.

Nofa should make this team

Fibros

Post by Fibros » Sun 11 Mar, 2018 12:44 pm

For me that win was up there with beating Manly last season.

Theres no cons in a win over the rorters or manly.
We will smash em 50+ get on.

snowleopard

Post by snowleopard » Sun 11 Mar, 2018 12:56 pm

People talk about Matulino for his go forward but his real value yesterday was making tackles at critical times that stopped the Roosters form either scoring or gaining momentum. I also thought Twal was outstanding during his stint. Bent the line and found his fron t on nearly every carry and made consecutive tackles numerous times.

will1999

Post by will1999 » Sun 11 Mar, 2018 12:58 pm

snowleopard wrote:
Sun 11 Mar, 2018 12:56 pm
People talk about Matulino for his go forward but his real value yesterday was making tackles at critical times that stopped the Roosters form either scoring or gaining momentum. I also thought Twal was outstanding during his stint. Bent the line and found his fron t on nearly every carry and made consecutive tackles numerous times.
and Eisenhuth

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Sun 11 Mar, 2018 1:01 pm

Snake wrote:
Sun 11 Mar, 2018 11:02 am
OzLukeH wrote:
Sun 11 Mar, 2018 10:24 am
GNR4LIFE wrote:
Sun 11 Mar, 2018 8:49 am
Again with the Tui body shape comments :roll:

As for the atmosphere, it has to be one of the biggest myths that there is no atmosphere at ANZ if there are less then 80k. The atmosphere was great. Not sure where you were sitting.
Sitting in the members.....
And I personally haven't read any of the body shape comments yet....but just my ramblings
We were sitting in the members and the atmosphere in the last 20 min was awesome , the food was priced Ok and it was all HOT , there is always the adds on Ch9 and the huge atmosphere in the lounge room . Negativity for the sake of it there is a good atmosphere in the stadium when over 16k.
When Tedesco butchered that try, I could not hear myself. How about the roar for Marshall when his name was read out before the game. Bone chilling.

Balmainian

Post by Balmainian » Sun 11 Mar, 2018 2:35 pm

WestsBenTigers wrote:
Sun 11 Mar, 2018 8:59 am
Pros
-They lasted the 80 minutes with high intensity and didn't drop out for a single minute of the match
- THE DEFENCE!!! Especially under pressure.
- Our short kicking game was very good, lead by Marshall but Brooks was good as well. Some of the kicks into the corners were very impressive.
- The offloads, especially by Marsters.
- The strength and experience in the middle with lots of metres made, especially from Matulino and Packer (ET was sublime in defence).
-Luke Brooks try-saver on Ferguson
-MCK's falcon assist
-Teddy's drop ball

Cons
- Our edge defence needs work but it was a massive improvement from previous years.
- We needed a few quicker PTB's to give our halves/backs more time and space. A few times the Roosters got on top of us through their quick PTB's.
- Our attack was clunky, but it is only the 1st round of the season and our starting 5/8 was injured the day before the match - I think that once combinations develop and they get used to each other's games then our attack will be slick and firing.

Once you add Nofoaluma, Aloiai, Reynolds and Liddle to the team and they start to gel, I think that we will be in the hunt for finals football!
Best Try assist i have seen in years

eyewonder

Post by eyewonder » Sun 11 Mar, 2018 2:51 pm

aarons haircut,dare i say,was a bit girlish

TYGA

Post by TYGA » Sun 11 Mar, 2018 2:55 pm

snowleopard wrote:
Agree Matulino makes some huge tackles some were out wide where he read the danger. Can you imagine Woods making these efforts.

TigersBusDriver

Post by TigersBusDriver » Sun 11 Mar, 2018 3:11 pm

Pros:
Thompson is a linebreak machine, really good combination with Marsters
Benji composed, regularly achieved repeat sets and controlled the team
Forward pack went toe-to-toe with one of the biggest packs in the comp
Really showed our depth playing well without Aloiai, Liddle, Reynolds ,Nofoaluma and McQueen
Held in with 12 men
Lolohea bounced back from missed kick and kicked the winning goal

Cons:
Lolohea seems slow, unfit but I have faith that he should be good in the coming rounds
Naiqama and MWZ very sloppy in defense and attack, creating errors off the back of good field position

TigersBusDriver

Post by TigersBusDriver » Sun 11 Mar, 2018 3:14 pm

Fibros wrote:
Sun 11 Mar, 2018 12:44 pm
For me that win was up there with beating Manly last season.

Theres no cons in a win over the rorters or manly.
No win will be sweeter than when we ambushed the Rabbitohs in their premiership winning season 2014. Was that the game Woods and the Burgess brothers went at it or am I mistaken?

weststigers

Post by weststigers » Sun 11 Mar, 2018 6:30 pm

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Sun 11 Mar, 2018 9:06 am
ku5tom wrote:
Sun 11 Mar, 2018 9:05 am
Should of got the $3 pies
I don’t think they were 3 dollars. My girlfriend went to get a drink, came back and said they were 5 90.
Did you check her pockets mate? She might be skimming from the top :lol:

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Sun 11 Mar, 2018 11:22 pm

snowleopard wrote:
Totally agree both counts. Matulino made a few terrific tackles on the edges as well, I found myself saying "great effort, who was that" a few times, Ben Galea style, and it was Mats.

Twal's hitups late in the game changed our momentum, he made around 4 key runs late that got us on the front foot.