WESTS Tigers Team V Manly

Tiger Steve

Re: WESTS Tigers Team V Manly

Post by Tiger Steve » Wed 11 Apr, 2018 9:51 pm

It’s been mentioned a couple of times already - I really think we are going to miss Packer more than most think. I thought Sue was amazingly inconsistent last year. I hope he is ready to charge hard and tackle aggressively with no lapses in concentration. Matalino needs to lead by example, taking a Packers place in this regard.
“Peanuts! Get ya peanuts - in the shell or sugar coated!” Leichhardt memories.

Telltails

Post by Telltails » Wed 11 Apr, 2018 10:10 pm

jirskyr wrote:
Wed 11 Apr, 2018 10:49 am
Telltails wrote:
Wed 11 Apr, 2018 7:43 am
Tiger Steve wrote:
Tue 10 Apr, 2018 11:11 pm
jirskyr wrote:
Tue 10 Apr, 2018 10:40 pm
What I'm looking forward to the most is the thread next Monday, if Tui doesn't play and we lose the game by a missed conversion or two.

It's a mistake from some posters to only look at his metres last week and say 46 isn't enough. I haven't even seen anyone analyse (if possible) the number of carries he had.

Just FYI in 3 matches, Tui has averaged 94 run metres which is 7th in the team, but more than MWZ, Mats, Packer, ET, Lawrence, Brooks, MCK. He has had 36 runs (12 per match av.) for 284 m = 7.89 m per carry av. Thommo on the other hand (our leading metre-gainer) has 5 matches, 76 runs, 641 m = 15 runs per match for 8.43 m per carry.

Not really that much of a difference except that Thommo takes an extra 3 runs for an extra half-metre each, but he's also scored a long-range try.

Also interesting that Tui is 14th in average run metres for all NRL fullbacks, but ahead of Flash Gordon, Billy Slater, Darius, Cotric, Bevan French. He is 1m behind Mbye, 2m behind Dugan, 3m behind Hampton and 4m behind Valentine Holmes.

Anyhow, rather than speculate why Tui was relegated, because Ivan won't state the reason explicitly in public I don't expect, I'm happy to consider this as evidence that there are high standards, and even a winning team can be changed. People used to whinge about lack of accountability at WT, so even if you can't guess why Tui was dropped, that is what accountability can look like.
Awesome post
If you watched the game you didnt need the stats to make your mind up about Tui's performance - they just backed it up. He looked lethargic and didnt run the ball nor did he go looking for it.
Wouldnt have been surprised if he was selected - again after all his goal kicking has been very good - but based on that performance not surprised he was dropped either.
I think we all watched the game?

Point I was making the stats, being middle-ground (i.e. not clearly great or clearly bad) are up for a lot of interpretation, and I am seeing on here a 50/50 split as to whether or not Tui had a decent game last week. I look at his stats, I watched the match in earnest and I thought he did alright, and I am surprised that Tui was dropped. I think Thommo is great but I still think he lacks that x-factor upside that Tui has, and I also am fully aware that Tui alone kicked us to victory at least twice this year with sideline conversions, plus the equaliser and 7-tackle set for the win last week.

At least we can all agree, that due to depth, if Ivan chooses to change up the team for any reason at all, then the alternative option is still rather good.
Yeah, wasnt trying to suggest you didnt watch it but was trying to convey that didnt need to look at stats to know that his involvement was less than ordinary -it was obvious and frustrating.
When he did have opportunity his carries lacked urgency with no energy.
Most frustrating is that his goalkicking has been largely behind all our wins, and for the coach to relegate him and risk using another kicker speaks volumes, especially after a win.
I cant work him out at all, just think he has to do better and hope he does.

Tweed Tiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by Tweed Tiger » Fri 13 Apr, 2018 8:32 am

Its funny the Wests Tigers this year are known as the super coach killers. Hardly anyone has scored decently against us because of our defence. Fergo in round 1 and Cam Smith last week are the only ones to find decent points against us.

This week will be interesting with some of the Manly players averaging over 100 at Brookie and us having key forwards out.

Spartan117

Post by Spartan117 » Fri 13 Apr, 2018 8:46 am

Tiger Steve wrote:
Wed 11 Apr, 2018 9:51 pm
It’s been mentioned a couple of times already - I really think we are going to miss Packer more than most think. I thought Sue was amazingly inconsistent last year. I hope he is ready to charge hard and tackle aggressively with no lapses in concentration. Matalino needs to lead by example, taking a Packers place in this regard.
Good Call T-Steve

Packers value is more than his stats imply. He has Mongrel and attitude that feeds those around him.

Someone needs to step in and Guide young Twal and Hooth this weekend. his for me is our Achilles heal.

As for Sue, I like this guy. Not blessed with size he plays well for us. Im hoping a few weeks with Magpies has ignited the flame within.

He is playing for his place in the front of Coach Clearys mind and career.

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Fri 13 Apr, 2018 8:50 am

Some of you blokes are really conditioned to the old Wests Tigers...the fear is strong with these one's..

We will smash them ...New Era Wests Tigers 2018..Manly suk
Wests Tigers don't need a Coach.. The playing group has taken over..

TrueTiger

Post by TrueTiger » Fri 13 Apr, 2018 10:44 am

Geo. wrote:
Fri 13 Apr, 2018 8:50 am
Some of you blokes are really conditioned to the old Wests Tigers...the fear is strong with these one's..

I think GEO that we are taking awhile to adapt to our new Wests Tigers style of play and winning ways... :o
You may see me struggle...but you will never see me quit... :D

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Fri 13 Apr, 2018 11:03 am

Geo. wrote:

It's funny you say that, I agree. New coach, vastly revised roster, clear new direction, new playing style, new winning style.

Maybe it will all come undone, footy is a hard game, but some people seem more worried that we are winning than when we were losing. They are like English supporters, the better their football or cricket sides are doing, the more they worry about the inevitable drop-off in form.

Or as you said the other day (paraphrasing): "oh no, another desperate team!"

I'm just enjoying the feeling of having 80% weeks to date where my team won last weekend. And even the loss, whilst sour, was not a completely negative feeling.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Fri 13 Apr, 2018 12:45 pm

Maybe the closeness of the games is also a factor in the 'fear' and worry.

I can remember for many years I never expected us to win.... I only 'hoped' we'd win going into games.

About 10 & 11 was the only time I 'expected' wins weekly.

Its very odd someone mentioned they were calm last Saturday and so was I.... But that normally isn't me at all especially with a 1 point game

Balmainian

Post by Balmainian » Sat 14 Apr, 2018 3:15 pm

When we start getting beaten.
I'll start worrying.
But for now.....4 and 1 people, get on the bus worry warts.

momo&medo

Post by momo&medo » Sat 14 Apr, 2018 4:30 pm

Geo. wrote:

Yep you’re right ....
I have the fear in me.

momo&medo

Post by momo&medo » Sat 14 Apr, 2018 4:32 pm

innsaneink wrote:
Fri 13 Apr, 2018 12:45 pm

I can remember for many years I never expected us to win.... I only 'hoped' we'd win going into games.

Its very odd someone mentioned they were calm last Saturday and so was I.... But that normally isn't me at all especially with a 1 point game
And just knowing that we would get beaten on the bell.
That has not happened so far this year apart from that stupid penalty.

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Sat 14 Apr, 2018 5:22 pm

WESTS TIGERS Update

1. Corey Thompson
2. David Nofoaluma
3. Esan Marsters
4. Kevin Naiqama
5. Malakai Watene-Zelezniak
6. Benji Marshall (capt.)
7. Luke Brooks
8. Alex Twal
9. Jacob Liddle
10. Ben Matulino
11. Chris Lawrence
12. Robbie Rochow
13. Matt Eisenhuth

Interchange:
14. Josh Reynolds
15. Josh Aloiai
16. Michael Chee Kam
17. Sauaso Sue

Reserves:
18. Tim Grant
20. Tyson Gamble

Coach: Ivan Cleary

https://www.weststigers.com.au/news/201 ... e-round-6/
Wests Tigers don't need a Coach.. The playing group has taken over..

underdog

Post by underdog » Sat 14 Apr, 2018 5:30 pm

Would love to see Gamble in the side.

momo&medo

Post by momo&medo » Sat 14 Apr, 2018 5:56 pm

I don’t know where you guys are at but a mother of a hailstorm just hit Nelson Bay heading south I think.
We are just up here for few days R & R ..... but may be sleeping in wet bed tonight ..... had windows open.

FreddyK
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by FreddyK » Sat 14 Apr, 2018 6:09 pm

underdog wrote:
Sat 14 Apr, 2018 5:30 pm
Would love to see Gamble in the side.
Would be good. For Kevie? He can kick goals and perhaps Benji will look after him on the edge to settle his nerves.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » Sat 14 Apr, 2018 6:11 pm

Thanks Manly - all the ads on the forum are for Lottoland now!

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » Sat 14 Apr, 2018 6:15 pm

innsaneink wrote:
Fri 13 Apr, 2018 12:45 pm

Absolutely. In Round 1 I just assumed we'd lose because we never win tight games from behind. Ditto Round 2 I thought the Mexicans would find a way out. By last week I was confident enough to think we were at least 50/50 in the last few minutes.

krayola

Post by krayola » Sat 14 Apr, 2018 6:21 pm

Any ideas why Gamble would be in the squad? Is there an injury cloud over our halves? I guess he’d come in for Brooks or on the bench to back up Liddle if that was the case. Can’t see him being played anywhere aside from that.
One of my sources is Pascoe