Worst performance this season

Sco77y

Re: Worst performance this season

Post by Sco77y » Sun 22 Apr, 2018 12:50 am

Yeah have to agree, it was a horrible defensive effort and the scoreboard flattered us a little with most conversions by the Knights missed. Not so much the performance itself that was a worry, but the possibility that we could regress back into the non existent defence of the past few years. Some of those tries let in looked eerily familiar....

Glennb

Post by Glennb » Sun 22 Apr, 2018 1:13 am

Guys take a breath. You can find any stat you want to show its our "Worst" performance of the year but none of those stats will tell you that that was the biggest test of the year. Newcastle was the first time that didnt derp it up big time in the face of our defence. If you want to delve into stats ( I couldnt be arsed) I would be surprised if that wasnt the least dropped ball against us this year. Newcastle played well. Their defence was strong and fast and they threw more at us than any team this year.

Ans we still nearly (should have ) won

larrycorowa

Post by larrycorowa » Sun 22 Apr, 2018 5:27 am

Yep and we didn’t get much luck with hia’s to key players. Also et and aiolai playing big minutes and not used to it. Sue and goodinet probably played too many minutes. Our execution was off and benji was too fancy running across field.

larrycorowa

Post by larrycorowa » Sun 22 Apr, 2018 5:27 am

I thought the knights were very good too. Skd will never play that good again.

jadtiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by jadtiger » Sun 22 Apr, 2018 5:30 am

To put things into perspective it was definately our worst performance of the year and i would mark it C+ compared to the other 6 games which i would mark A++ down to A.This is a massive improvement on our previous years which have plenty of Fs throughout the year even 2005
Ivan is doing a great job. i doubt if any of us had picked the club to be top 4 at this stage of the season.The honeymoon may be over but we are still in a terrific spot to have a good year

tbones10

Post by tbones10 » Sun 22 Apr, 2018 7:15 am

From what I saw last night, individual lapses aside, our backs got worked out, MWZ can't jump and Nofo can't defend, he actually missed more than he made. It was that pattern all night, kick to one way, push to the other.
Its not panic stations yet, Ivan has shown that he is prepared to put players in the reggies to work themselves out, both these two could do with a stint.

TrueTiger

Post by TrueTiger » Sun 22 Apr, 2018 7:34 am

It was a loss,it happens in NRL,surely we didn't expect to go all year undefeated....the team made mistakes,hopefully they learn from that game and play better next week....we cant keep blaming individuals for losing the game it is a team sport and all have to do better next game....I'm sure they will...
You may see me struggle...but you will never see me quit... :D

larrycorowa

Post by larrycorowa » Sun 22 Apr, 2018 7:49 am

TrueTiger wrote:
Sun 22 Apr, 2018 7:34 am
It was a loss,it happens in NRL,surely we didn't expect to go all year undefeated....the team made mistakes,hopefully they learn from that game and play better next week....we cant keep blaming individuals for losing the game it is a team sport and all have to do better next game....I'm sure they will...
100%....blaming the winger for a loss when the team missing 50+ tackles is missing the point. Like blaming the goalie for a 10-0 loss in soccer. On the plus side if they stick together and learn from our mistakes we will be ok. Souths will lose burgess brothers for 4-6 weeks, Pearce out, Brisbane has no hooker.....we have depth and some of these teams don’t and once they get a few injuries they will really struggle. Penrith are an injury to Maloney away from disaster etc.

It’s a long season stick together and keep working and we will be ok

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Sun 22 Apr, 2018 8:25 am

Tacky wrote:
Sat 21 Apr, 2018 10:52 pm
GNR4LIFE wrote:
Sat 21 Apr, 2018 10:38 pm
That’s harsh. If that’s our worst performance of the year, it speaks volumes for how well we are traveling.
We missed 52 tackles and let in 5 tries. What would you call it?
And still only lost on the siren. A far cry from previous years.

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Sun 22 Apr, 2018 8:26 am

In a way though, this is a good thread. It’s good that there are people who want to hold the side to a higher standard.

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Sun 22 Apr, 2018 8:28 am

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Sun 22 Apr, 2018 8:26 am
In a way though, this is a good thread. It’s good that there are people who want to hold the side to a higher standard.
A byproduct of susrained success.

This must be what Easts and Melbourne fans feel like...
#penaltyTigers

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

krayola

Post by krayola » Sun 22 Apr, 2018 8:29 am

I’m shocked that we lost that in the end but I shouldn’t be. The only thing that went our way was the Knights missing 4 goals. The injuries, refereeing, even the wind, none of it favoured us at all and in the end it took a brilliant play from them to win on the penultimate tackle of the game.
One of my sources is Pascoe

yeti

Post by yeti » Sun 22 Apr, 2018 8:38 am

The speed of Newcastle's play the ball was most impressive and most worrying for the Tigers. We just had no answer to slowing them down and every team will look at that. Whether it was our tackle technique not getting them on to their backs or what, I don't know, but if we can't slow the ptb we will suffer plenty more losses like last night.

And Marshall needs to go and look at the replays of his earlier games and the way he managed the team. The last couple of weeks and especially last night it was back to the 'old Benji' - he gifted Sio one try by racing in and leaving Nofa stranded, and tried the hero play way too many times.
He knows way better than that. For the most senior player in the side he has a duty to set the standard.

tigerbalm

Post by tigerbalm » Sun 22 Apr, 2018 10:18 am

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Sun 22 Apr, 2018 8:26 am
Agree. At the start of the season I’d of given my left nut for a 5/7 start but a few wins in and I’m annoyed at that loss..it’s one that got away.

Hopefully the team feels the same an will be looking to make amends this next week.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Sun 22 Apr, 2018 10:31 am

yeti wrote:
Sun 22 Apr, 2018 8:38 am
The speed of Newcastle's play the ball was most impressive and most worrying for the Tigers. We just had no answer to slowing them down and every team will look at that. Whether it was our tackle technique not getting them on to their backs or what, I don't know, but if we can't slow the ptb we will suffer plenty more losses like last night.

And Marshall needs to go and look at the replays of his earlier games and the way he managed the team. The last couple of weeks and especially last night it was back to the 'old Benji' - he gifted Sio one try by racing in and leaving Nofa stranded, and tried the hero play way too many times.
He knows way better than that. For the most senior player in the side he has a duty to set the standard.
Spot on, on both counts

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Sun 22 Apr, 2018 11:31 am

I was wondering what people thought about the defensive tactics last night? I noted in the Nofo thread that we seem to be sliding less than we were in the previous rounds?

Certainly last night there was a lot of up-and-in defensive structure, perhaps purposefully against the Knights, but it wasn't working well, particularly because Ponga is dangerous with the ball but can also pass.

But the thing that stood out for me was Sio's second try, the pass is from Fitzgibbon. Maybe he has some real passing skills, but if you have a backrower running a line who decides to shift via cut-out to the winger - maybe that's vision, but I reckon its 90% coaching, i.e. they were instructed pre-game to shift to their LHS like that as often as possible.

I recall a game in 2017 vs Dragons when Widdop did exactly the same thing, run backrowers to suck in the defence then hit the winger. He did it 6 or 7 times in the opening 30 mins and they scored 4 tries, blew us away early.

On a different note, Tigers are second worst team in the comp for missed tackles, behind the Warriors. I am not exactly sure how they are counting missed tackles, i.e. if any effort including line speed counts, because 3 of the worst 5 MT teams are actually in the Top 4 (Tigers, Warriors, Panthers). So clearly MTs are less of concern than overall scramble.

In terms of ineffective tackles, Tigers are not in the top 5 (NRL has bad stats options this year, you can't dig very deep).

And if Penrith concede > 9 points today, Tigers still have the best defence in the comp after 7 rounds.

HOWEVER, one other thing I did pick up is points conceded, but I don't have an answer for this trend:
- Tigers conceded 18 points total in 2 games against Storm, who average 17.60 ppg.
- Tigers conceded 8 pts against Roosters, who average 22 ppg
- Tigers conceded 9 against Broncos, no tries, who average 13.8 ppg.
- Tigers conceded 12 against Manly, who average 26 ppg.

But our "blow-outs" against Knights and Eels were 22 and 20 pts respectively, when the teams average 16.8 and 8.8 ppg resp.

What is it about the Eels and Knights games where we essentially doubled our season average points conceded in those two games? They aren't exactly attacking powerhouses, in fact Eels are abominable in that regard. We have however been very effective against some of the better attacking sides. Just bad games? 2 out of 7 isn't exactly a trend.

Thoughts?

Doc Tiger

Post by Doc Tiger » Sun 22 Apr, 2018 11:40 am

Attitude. Seems our club always has and still does not treat perceived lesser teams with the same respect as the higher ranked teams

stevied

Post by stevied » Sun 22 Apr, 2018 12:32 pm

larrycorowa wrote:
Sun 22 Apr, 2018 7:49 am
TrueTiger wrote:
Sun 22 Apr, 2018 7:34 am
100%....blaming the winger for a loss when the team missing 50+ tackles is missing the point. Like blaming the goalie for a 10-0 loss in soccer. On the plus side if they stick together and learn from our mistakes we will be ok. Souths will lose burgess brothers for 4-6 weeks, Pearce out, Brisbane has no hooker.....we have depth and some of these teams don’t and once they get a few injuries they will really struggle. Penrith are an injury to Maloney away from disaster etc.

It’s a long season stick together and keep working and we will be ok
No one is blaming the winger (Nofo) for the loss LC. We all agree the intensity was down which led to a fall off in our defense. Also, the HIAs didn't help either, causing a lot of disruption to our offensive and defensive structures. Many of us believe Nofo's defensive ability is a liability but we are not looking for a scapegoat or missing the point. There are more than one reason for the loss and more than one player who made defensive mistakes and Ivan will look at the tape to find solutions going forward.
It was our worst defensive performance of the season but it is only one game and we will bounce back.