Dear Ivan!

  •  Recent Topics
Pawsandclaws
Member
Member
Posts: 3086
Joined: Sat 20 Jun, 2015 5:53 pm

Re: Dear Ivan!

Post by Pawsandclaws » Tue 05 Jun, 2018 5:58 am

The Patriot wrote:
Mon 04 Jun, 2018 5:01 pm
Bar a couple of good posts we have 6 pages of rubbish.

Ivan is doing an absolutely outstanding job. Yes he is a lot more patient than some of us would like. I would have dropped Benji a month ago for instance but the guy has us on the right track.

The team is not quote his. Its half inherited and a work in progress.

I guess only Jason Taylor gets 3 years to build a squad LOL
The team did well on Sunday and demonstrated a lot of fight. We lack the players to deliver that killer blow. Mbye will help but left centre and one wing position need an injection of lightning pace. Fonua is an accident waiting to happen (it happened twice on Sunday) and Thompson has one wing position wrapped up. If Katoa is available we need to strike.


Telltails
Member
Member
Posts: 2683
Joined: Fri 18 Apr, 2014 3:24 pm

Post by Telltails » Tue 05 Jun, 2018 7:51 am

I think Clearys selections are about showing belief in players who have lifted to get the job done.
I maintain that the squad is ordinary at best yet overall have only been dusted up once by the Warriors. He doesnt have a lot of assured better options at his disposal so managing what he has got well is key to trying to keep in touch with the eight.
Performance is so much more than ability alone and while I dont always agree with his selections the performance of this team with all its glaring deficiencies demonstrates enough for me that he knows what he is doing.
Getting the best from Tui looks like a problem. He is giving him his opportunity but Mbyes arrival is a clear message that there is only so long.

goldcoast tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 6279
Joined: Sat 12 Apr, 2014 5:42 pm

Post by goldcoast tiger » Tue 05 Jun, 2018 11:05 am

The Patriot wrote:
Mon 04 Jun, 2018 5:01 pm
Bar a couple of good posts we have 6 pages of rubbish.

Ivan is doing an absolutely outstanding job. Yes he is a lot more patient than some of us would like. I would have dropped Benji a month ago for instance but the guy has us on the right track.

The team is not quote his. Its half inherited and a work in progress.

I guess only Jason Taylor gets 3 years to build a squad LOL
he spent a hell of a lot of money on his half
As i said at the time, a few desperation signings .
as for an outstanding job, only time will tell.
Hes been about as good as he could be with what he has, but some of his signings, havent been too flash.

User avatar
Geo.
Member
Member
Posts: 29300
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 10:55 pm
Location: Perugia Italy..

Post by Geo. » Tue 05 Jun, 2018 11:45 am

goldcoast tiger wrote:
Tue 05 Jun, 2018 11:05 am
The Patriot wrote:
Mon 04 Jun, 2018 5:01 pm
Bar a couple of good posts we have 6 pages of rubbish.

Ivan is doing an absolutely outstanding job. Yes he is a lot more patient than some of us would like. I would have dropped Benji a month ago for instance but the guy has us on the right track.

The team is not quote his. Its half inherited and a work in progress.

I guess only Jason Taylor gets 3 years to build a squad LOL
he spent a hell of a lot of money on his half
As i said at the time, a few desperation signings .
as for an outstanding job, only time will tell.
Hes been about as good as he could be with what he has, but some of his signings, havent been too flash.
Is that Reynolds...? How much did he spend..?
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..

upthetigers
Member
Member
Posts: 898
Joined: Sun 24 Jul, 2016 10:41 pm

Post by upthetigers » Tue 05 Jun, 2018 11:50 am

Telltails wrote:
Tue 05 Jun, 2018 7:51 am
I think Clearys selections are about showing belief in players who have lifted to get the job done.
I maintain that the squad is ordinary at best yet overall have only been dusted up once by the Warriors. He doesnt have a lot of assured better options at his disposal so managing what he has got well is key to trying to keep in touch with the eight.
Performance is so much more than ability alone and while I dont always agree with his selections the performance of this team with all its glaring deficiencies demonstrates enough for me that he knows what he is doing.
Getting the best from Tui looks like a problem. He is giving him his opportunity but Mbyes arrival is a clear message that there is only so long.
The fact that Cleary wants Mbye before June 30 tells you everything.


hobbo
Member
Member
Posts: 10150
Joined: Mon 10 Mar, 2014 5:03 pm

Post by hobbo » Tue 05 Jun, 2018 11:52 am

Geo. wrote:
Tue 05 Jun, 2018 11:45 am
goldcoast tiger wrote:
Tue 05 Jun, 2018 11:05 am
The Patriot wrote:
Mon 04 Jun, 2018 5:01 pm
Bar a couple of good posts we have 6 pages of rubbish.

Ivan is doing an absolutely outstanding job. Yes he is a lot more patient than some of us would like. I would have dropped Benji a month ago for instance but the guy has us on the right track.

The team is not quote his. Its half inherited and a work in progress.

I guess only Jason Taylor gets 3 years to build a squad LOL
he spent a hell of a lot of money on his half
As i said at the time, a few desperation signings .
as for an outstanding job, only time will tell.
Hes been about as good as he could be with what he has, but some of his signings, havent been too flash.
Is that Reynolds...? How much did he spend..?
$650k plus a car
We need mongrel ..
No more plodders !

User avatar
Geo.
Member
Member
Posts: 29300
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 10:55 pm
Location: Perugia Italy..

Post by Geo. » Tue 05 Jun, 2018 12:00 pm

hobbo wrote:
Tue 05 Jun, 2018 11:52 am
Geo. wrote:
Tue 05 Jun, 2018 11:45 am
goldcoast tiger wrote:
Tue 05 Jun, 2018 11:05 am
The Patriot wrote:
Mon 04 Jun, 2018 5:01 pm
Bar a couple of good posts we have 6 pages of rubbish.

Ivan is doing an absolutely outstanding job. Yes he is a lot more patient than some of us would like. I would have dropped Benji a month ago for instance but the guy has us on the right track.

The team is not quote his. Its half inherited and a work in progress.

I guess only Jason Taylor gets 3 years to build a squad LOL
he spent a hell of a lot of money on his half
As i said at the time, a few desperation signings .
as for an outstanding job, only time will tell.
Hes been about as good as he could be with what he has, but some of his signings, havent been too flash.
Is that Reynolds...? How much did he spend..?
$650k plus a car
You sure thought it was plus a washing machine..

650K seems to be below ave for a half..the MILF is on 900k +
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..

upthetigers
Member
Member
Posts: 898
Joined: Sun 24 Jul, 2016 10:41 pm

Post by upthetigers » Tue 05 Jun, 2018 12:02 pm

I think it's more like 750K + TPAs.

User avatar
Cultured Bogan
Member
Member
Posts: 17904
Joined: Tue 15 Sep, 2009 11:20 pm
Location: Blue Mountains

Post by Cultured Bogan » Tue 05 Jun, 2018 12:14 pm

Didn't realise Reynolds had more than one accountant...
#penaltyTigers

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

happy tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 40746
Joined: Sun 27 Feb, 2011 4:49 pm

Post by happy tiger » Tue 05 Jun, 2018 12:23 pm

Cultured Bogan wrote:
Tue 05 Jun, 2018 12:14 pm
Didn't realise Reynolds had more than one accountant...
And either way he has made some horrible decisions on his accountant

User avatar
Doc Tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 2298
Joined: Sun 30 Mar, 2014 9:53 pm

Post by Doc Tiger » Tue 05 Jun, 2018 3:36 pm

My belief is he had to start somewhere. Reynolds was the first "big name". Prior to him, nobody was coming across. But then Packer and Matalino did, and now Mbye. Others will too, but he had to start somewhere. Let's not get too hung up on what grub is earning, if not for him, I don't know who we'd be trotting out in future to replace Benji. Could be a whole lot worse.

clontarfkid
Member
Member
Posts: 807
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 3:47 pm

Post by clontarfkid » Tue 05 Jun, 2018 4:11 pm

Reynolds and McQueen just happened to be in the right place at the right time...and we paid a significant premium to regain some cred that the "little 3" significantly diminished in the space of a few weeks.
Matalino,Tui,Godinet all benefitted from this plus Ivans familiarity with them rather than form
Packer,Thompson and Fonua were solid signings...as was Benji despite his now apparent limitations
Jury still out on Mbye(tho no-one else wld have signed him at this price..I really don't know why we did either)
So our "strike rate"on signings is disappointing,particularly if you benchmark us againts Knights signings.
Having said that,Cleary CAN coach as is evidenced by our achievements with one of the worst rosters in the NRL...but he needs less autonomy on recruitment decisions .
Too many ordinary players at extra-ordinary prices will cement our future in the bottom 8 .

goldcoast tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 6279
Joined: Sat 12 Apr, 2014 5:42 pm

Post by goldcoast tiger » Tue 05 Jun, 2018 10:08 pm

Geo. wrote:
Tue 05 Jun, 2018 11:45 am
goldcoast tiger wrote:
Tue 05 Jun, 2018 11:05 am
The Patriot wrote:
Mon 04 Jun, 2018 5:01 pm
Bar a couple of good posts we have 6 pages of rubbish.

Ivan is doing an absolutely outstanding job. Yes he is a lot more patient than some of us would like. I would have dropped Benji a month ago for instance but the guy has us on the right track.

The team is not quote his. Its half inherited and a work in progress.

I guess only Jason Taylor gets 3 years to build a squad LOL
he spent a hell of a lot of money on his half
As i said at the time, a few desperation signings .
as for an outstanding job, only time will tell.
Hes been about as good as he could be with what he has, but some of his signings, havent been too flash.
Is that Reynolds...? How much did he spend..?
Sorry Should’ve made that clearer. I meant that he spent a heap of money on his half of the team.

Post Reply