Tyson Gamble Debut

User avatar
The Patriot
Member
Member
Posts: 2046
Joined: Fri 16 Feb, 2018 8:39 am

Re: Tyson Gamble Debut

Post by The Patriot » Mon 18 Jun, 2018 10:19 am

I hate the immature gloating going around at the moment. That's nothing though compared to the retelling of the facts however.

Would love for someone to show where either Freddy or myself have called this guy a prodigy or the messiah. Even show me a post where we talked him up like a Kayla Ponga who would hit the ground running. He is much more a slow build like an early Thurston.

We've only ever said we like his potential and think he will make a good first grader. That's the truth of it.

I'll speak for Freddy here because I'm pretty sure he is seeing this the same way.

Tyson Gamble is a good quality first grader and will prove that in time!
Its an opinion!


User avatar
jirskyr
Member
Member
Posts: 6024
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 12:00 pm

Post by jirskyr » Mon 18 Jun, 2018 10:59 am

FreddyK wrote:
Sun 17 Jun, 2018 6:51 pm
FreddyK wrote:
Sun 17 Jun, 2018 6:50 pm
jirskyr wrote:
Sun 17 Jun, 2018 6:46 pm
He was poor and some bad decisions were momentum swingers for the opposition.

Not his fault entirely that we missed a billion tackles, but we had Canberra covered for 40 mins then a few had decisions - Gamble heavily involved with them - and it all fell apart.
He was poor .... the thrashing was not entirely his fault - so I guess your analysis is that it was mostly his fault. Unbelievable comment ...
Or should I have said ... unbelievably stupid statement ...
Calm your farm lover boy, and stop putting words in my mouth.

I didn't say it was mostly his fault, in fact my statement was exactly the opposite - not entirely his fault. He can shoulder some of the blame, as can everyone else.

But for me he made a few key plays that really hurt the side, that gave Canberra the opportunity to take ascendancy. Two bad punt-bombs, a dropped ball on our own 40m and that 3rd or 4th tackle grubber that went long - they were all about the time that Canberra were wrestling control of the game back from us, and the time we needed smarter options.

He's only a kid, I'm not saying that's his career or that I expected wonders from him, but he took some poor options and we paid for it. The falling apart in the last 20-25 mins has nothing to do with either of the halves, that's just a team failing abysmally to stop a cocky attacking team.

User avatar
jirskyr
Member
Member
Posts: 6024
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 12:00 pm

Post by jirskyr » Mon 18 Jun, 2018 11:05 am

innsaneink wrote:
Mon 18 Jun, 2018 9:22 am
Milky wrote:
Mon 18 Jun, 2018 6:36 am
Poor kid.

Would definitely give him another go if required. Nerves would have had the best of him.

He really needs to get the ‘benji’ out of his game tho. Kicking on the 3rd...to himself? multiple times????
I don't think he was nervous.
I like the fact he tried things off his own bat... Shows confidence just lacking execution.
He may have felt lonely out there Brooks didn't/couldnt seem to help him.
Junior development isn't about dumping rookies after the team gets 40+ put on them... It's about learning, gaining confidence, experience and getting up to 1st grade fitness level

JCf82: I wouldn't call his form in reggies "amazing"

I think the extremely high level of constantly hyping him up from a few on here may have led some to have high expectations on him. I mentioned some time ago these people are just putting pressure on him... They don't learn
x2

Too much knee-jerk defence of Gamble, though to be expected I guess.

Gamble was poor, so was pretty much everyone else except Chris Lawrence. Gamble understandably comes in for a bit more criticism because he was playing in the halves and he has no credit to his name - at least Brooks has been fairly solid all year.

Also when you debut, it's tough, but fans expect to see a little something as to why you were promoted. They don't expect wonders, just a taste or a glimpse of what makes this young player a bit special, to come into the FG halves. I didn't really see anything of that, apart from a big lump of a lad who passes the ball nicely, but didn't do much of anything wrt runs, kicks or developing a set.

Certainly, the way we were lapped in the second half, Gamble really only had 40 mins to press his claims.

Balmain Boy
Member
Member
Posts: 3225
Joined: Sun 27 Sep, 2009 7:22 pm

Post by Balmain Boy » Mon 18 Jun, 2018 11:31 am

A lot of predictable over reactions on here.

Sure he had a poor game. But our entire 17 had a shocker. That was our worst team performance in well over a year. Not a single good player out there. Yet some people seem to be disappointed a debutant wasn't our best player?

I liked that he kept trying, didn't put his head down after a few failed plays, and was looking to get involved in attack. Also that his kicks actually made it past the legs of the opposition.

The fact is our entire team was god awful and we have the worst backline in the comp. We should have players capable of catching kicks. But we don't, so if it's not on (no overlap) we shouldn't try it. He needs to learn this. Brooks struggles with these chip kicks so it's good that Gamble can execute them.

On debut with a team under the pump he may have tried things that weren't on. Decision making and execution need to be better. Defence needs to improve too but the whole team defended poorly so it's not right to single anyone out.

Russell
Member
Member
Posts: 5058
Joined: Sat 10 Dec, 2011 6:46 pm

Post by Russell » Mon 18 Jun, 2018 12:06 pm

innsaneink wrote:
Mon 18 Jun, 2018 9:22 am
Milky wrote:
Mon 18 Jun, 2018 6:36 am
Poor kid.

Would definitely give him another go if required. Nerves would have had the best of him.

He really needs to get the ‘benji’ out of his game tho. Kicking on the 3rd...to himself? multiple times????
I don't think he was nervous.
I like the fact he tried things off his own bat... Shows confidence just lacking execution.
He may have felt lonely out there Brooks didn't/couldnt seem to help him.
Junior development isn't about dumping rookies after the team gets 40+ put on them... It's about learning, gaining confidence, experience and getting up to 1st grade fitness level

JCf82: I wouldn't call his form in reggies "amazing"

I think the extremely high level of constantly hyping him up from a few on here may have led some to have high expectations on him. I mentioned some time ago these people are just putting pressure on him... They don't learn
Don't agree with you very often Ink - chalk this one up.

*He was talked up - yes (that is not his fault)
*Tried a few things - yes (didn't come off) if he did nothing, he would be criticised for that.
*We knew his defence needed work - no surprise.
*Worst game of the year to debut in.
*There were 15 players out there just as bad.
*If your forwards are being dominated - the halves are shot (So was Brooks for that reason)
*He was held back by Ivan because he was not ready - yesterday he had no choice but to play him.
*To crucify him on only one game is unfair. (he may turn out to be good or bad - who knows)

Just saying - give him a decent go that's all.


TigerSJ
Member
Member
Posts: 471
Joined: Tue 22 Apr, 2014 9:44 pm

Post by TigerSJ » Mon 18 Jun, 2018 12:24 pm

Didn't understand the hype from watching him all season. Obviously the step up to NRL made him look even worse -especially behind a team so outclassed. A few points I noted were:
-The difference a quality D/H makes to a team - we were extremely poor in this area and more so once MM went off.
-Lawrence off the field makes our back row look very ordinary
-poor game plan - we did not use the wind in the first half
-I disagree that Brooks was terrible - he made one glaringly poor attempt at tackle on our line that caused a try. Otherwise he tried his heart out chasing everyone in D and got very little help at all. His kicking game wasn't too bad.
-Both Fonua and Masters can be poor defenders at times and our wingers are extremely average in comparison to most of the decent teams.
-Finally, it is pretty clear that we have zero in terms of running/mobile back rowers (apart from Lawrence), Raiders forwards absolutely ran rings around us.

User avatar
Geo.
Member
Member
Posts: 29311
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 10:55 pm
Location: Perugia Italy..

Post by Geo. » Mon 18 Jun, 2018 12:29 pm

I watched the replay when i got home he tried hard in attack early on even though some of his options were poor he as trying...no half will shine behing our pack that got owned yesterday

However it was his defence which concerned the most some very timid efforts...holding hands with the opposition wont cut it in First grade ever...
Wayne Train 2019..

Nelson
Member
Member
Posts: 3303
Joined: Sat 31 Oct, 2015 11:17 am

Post by Nelson » Mon 18 Jun, 2018 12:38 pm

Geo. wrote:
Mon 18 Jun, 2018 12:29 pm
I watched the replay when i got home
Well that was an exercise in self-flagellation wasn't it?

User avatar
innsaneink
Member
Member
Posts: 29204
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 9:49 pm
Location: ...ahead of you....

Post by innsaneink » Mon 18 Jun, 2018 1:00 pm

Glutton for punishment

User avatar
The Patriot
Member
Member
Posts: 2046
Joined: Fri 16 Feb, 2018 8:39 am

Post by The Patriot » Mon 18 Jun, 2018 1:08 pm

Geo. wrote:
Mon 18 Jun, 2018 12:29 pm
I watched the replay when i got home he tried hard in attack early on even though some of his options were poor he as trying...no half will shine behing our pack that got owned yesterday

However it was his defence which concerned the most some very timid efforts...holding hands with the opposition wont cut it in First grade ever...
Was his defence really that bad?

He missed 5 from 25

Brooks missed 8 from 17

Thompson missed 5 and only made 4

Mahe missed 5 and only made 12

Aloia missed 6 from 9

Packer missed 6 of his 24

Its an god damn awfull display by the whole team.

The kid tackled at 80.6%, thats higher than his State Cup average. this on a day where the team stank it up.

Extremely harsh and over the top to say his defence was an issue!
Its an opinion!

User avatar
Geo.
Member
Member
Posts: 29311
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 10:55 pm
Location: Perugia Italy..

Post by Geo. » Mon 18 Jun, 2018 1:19 pm

The effort was yes ..not talking about stats it wont cut it regularly in first grade..
Wayne Train 2019..

User avatar
The Patriot
Member
Member
Posts: 2046
Joined: Fri 16 Feb, 2018 8:39 am

Post by The Patriot » Mon 18 Jun, 2018 1:22 pm

Nah he is just being singled out and judged to a different standard to the other players
Its an opinion!

User avatar
Demps
Member
Member
Posts: 8153
Joined: Sat 29 Jan, 2011 2:31 pm
Location: Newcastle

Post by Demps » Mon 18 Jun, 2018 1:30 pm

Close Thread..


The kid is a flop and isn't worth discussing especially when some posters are so blinded with love.
#Unbeatable

"I never lie because I don't fear anyone. You only lie when you're afraid" - John Gotti

Wests Tigers Forum's most brilliant mind.

Nelson
Member
Member
Posts: 3303
Joined: Sat 31 Oct, 2015 11:17 am

Post by Nelson » Mon 18 Jun, 2018 1:40 pm

The Patriot wrote:
Mon 18 Jun, 2018 1:22 pm
Nah he is just being singled out and judged to a different standard to the other players
Don't be ridiculous, it's a thread about him so people are commenting on his performance. Not every comment needs to be qualified by reference to the individual performances of every other team member (although to be fair plenty of people commenting have also noted the atrocious performance of the team generally).

TrueTiger
Member
Member
Posts: 5471
Joined: Thu 14 Aug, 2014 11:22 am

Post by TrueTiger » Mon 18 Jun, 2018 1:46 pm

The Patriot wrote:
Mon 18 Jun, 2018 1:22 pm
Nah he is just being singled out and judged to a different standard to the other players
Don't get me wrong,Iam just as disappointed in yesterdays drubbing as the next guy,however in defense of Gamble let's just go back to the day our great overhyped halfback by the name of Brooks made his debut....brilliant, our future etc...he took another 40 or so games to get to anywhere near NRL playmaker standard and now everyone is crucifying a young bloke who had a go in a team full of fringe first graders apparently bar a couple because his debut wasn't as brilliant as L .Brooks..
Whatever happened to giving someone a second chance or maybe 40 games like Brooks got.....in my books he did well enough to be a first grader with more very good coaching and SUPPORT of the fans...
You may see me struggle...but you will never see me quit... :D

User avatar
Geo.
Member
Member
Posts: 29311
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 10:55 pm
Location: Perugia Italy..

Post by Geo. » Mon 18 Jun, 2018 1:46 pm

The Patriot wrote:
Mon 18 Jun, 2018 1:22 pm
Nah he is just being singled out and judged to a different standard to the other players

Gee imagine discussing Gamble in a thread about Gamble...who'd of thought...
Wayne Train 2019..

User avatar
barra
Member
Member
Posts: 2328
Joined: Tue 14 Jul, 2009 12:54 pm
Location: Sth Coast

Post by barra » Mon 18 Jun, 2018 1:47 pm

Stinker of a game to make your debut in, just a terrible team 'effort'. A massive opportunity wasted by poor execution and dumb decisions when kicking.

And needed to run at the line hard, that was a strength of his game early in the season.

Was hoping his recent drop in form was because Drinkwater left but no, just poor form.

That's a big chance gone for him.

User avatar
Demps
Member
Member
Posts: 8153
Joined: Sat 29 Jan, 2011 2:31 pm
Location: Newcastle

Post by Demps » Mon 18 Jun, 2018 1:49 pm

The Patriot wrote:
Mon 18 Jun, 2018 1:22 pm
Nah he is just being singled out and judged to a different standard to the other players
Forum police, lol 🚨

Are u Gambles boyfriend?
#Unbeatable

"I never lie because I don't fear anyone. You only lie when you're afraid" - John Gotti

Wests Tigers Forum's most brilliant mind.

Post Reply