The Tigers turned up, but where were the fans?

tigers05

Re: The Tigers turned up, but where were the fans?

Post by tigers05 » Sat 29 May, 2010 6:35 pm

Im a season ticket holder and supporter, but the reality is simple; when you watch garbage that was dished up at the scg you ask yourself why bother? Im glad the boys put in and the effort was there but if the team is not prepared to put the same effort in week week out then neither will the supporters.

Lets hope the tigers are on next week. Here's hoping

Citizen Tiger

Post by Citizen Tiger » Sat 29 May, 2010 6:44 pm

Gary Bakerloo wrote:
Yossarian wrote:Troll... And it's Leichhardt.
Troll? Giving an objective assessment of the situation is the act of a troll?

Great stuff......can see this club going forward in leaps and bounds with that attitude.

You could not consider your post 'an objective assessment' by any stretch of the imagination. It demonstrates a fundamental lack of understanding and indeed vision, that is frankly, quite unbelievable. If you think this club can 'move forward' commercially by basing itself permanently in the south west, you should think again. You could start by asking yourself what's in the best interests of the long term sponsors. You could theorise about the sensible basis upon which to develop a loyal membership base, or you could ask yourself where corporate facilities might be saleable. As he said, troll.....

wt4lyf

Post by wt4lyf » Sat 29 May, 2010 6:45 pm

innsaneink wrote:
gallagher wrote:I pray and hope that one day our little suburban club with its small ambitions realise that we are in a national comp and start playing at a proper stadium fulltime. Some of the best stadia are available to us but we choose to use LO and CS. Such small thinkers we have running the club.
You know, Im almost swaying that way myself....many have promoted the opinion for years that bench seats and hills are well past their use by dates....Im starting to think that myself. It would be one way to avoid this childish argument that some love to resurrect year after year, just bite the bullet and move to a neutral yet priofitable and comfortable stadium once and for all, have all our games there and be done with it.
Lets move to ANZ, move to SFS 100% and finally have a real home rather than several flop houses and mates places.
TOTALLY AGREE!!
theyve really got to re-consider where they play certain games...
i wouldve loved for this game to be at LO or even the SFS
the fact of the matter is that Cambo never draws large crowds to night games..

there goes a heap of what could have been "revenue" for the club down the drain!

and another thing..
theyve really got to promote the games, alot better then what they been doing
an add on the tigers website isnt enough...
My best is yet to come- B. Marshall
TheJungleee.
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id= ... 410&ref=ts

tigergirlz

Post by tigergirlz » Sat 29 May, 2010 6:47 pm

There is no way I would attempt to get to Campbelltown on a Friday night. The travelling distance and the Friday night traffic would make it impossible to get there before kick off.
I just make it to Leichhardt from where I live.
My best ground for Friday is the SFS because I can use public transport which is pretty regular and reliable.
Maybe Friday (and Monday) night games should be at the accessible ground.
I will never miss a Sunsay afternoon at Leichhardt though.

alien

Post by alien » Sat 29 May, 2010 6:54 pm

Gary Bakerloo wrote:Given the ground can now hold 25,000, my maths tells me that yes, it was more than half empty.
Capacity is about 21,000.

galahs

Post by galahs » Sat 29 May, 2010 7:11 pm

Geez that was a disappointing crowd, but thankfully it was one with a fair bit of passion.

Really no excuse for not getting at least 15,000 to that game.

I guess the factors were
- the heavy traffic (took me 4 hours from Newcastle to Campbelltown. 2 hours to cross Sydney!!! Left at 3pm, got there at 7pm)
- the fear of rain
- An unattractive opposition
- lack of promotion

but still, c'mon people! If you want more games at Campbelltown, we need your bum on a seat.
We wear our heart on our sleeve.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » Sat 29 May, 2010 7:21 pm

Marshall_magic wrote:C-Town isn't a good venue for Friday Night games, can be hard for people to get home from work and get down there for the game. LO (which was origanlly scheduled to host the game) would've been a much better venue for a crowd on a friday.
Exactly. I live up the Central Coast so even if I can leave work on time and get to the game before 7:30 by the time I get home it is well after midnight. Still a disappointing crowd but given it's been raining all week I'm sure some people just wanted to get home and get warm and dry.

alien

Post by alien » Sat 29 May, 2010 7:27 pm

I am disappointed with the number of people we got at the game. I know there are reasons why we didn't get a massive crowd, but we should have got more than what we got. I think the club saw it coming with the amount of ticket sales during the week, which is probably why they had that ticket deal during the week where you could get silver seat tickets for general admission prices. It didn't seem to help much though considering there were heaps of empty seats on the eastern stand, and it doesn't look good on tv. Also, there were heaps of empty spaces on the northern hill too. When the full-time siren went on in the Toyota Cup game I had a look around the stadium again and I thought there must have been heaps of people waiting in-line outside the stadium to get in.
Last edited by alien on Sat 29 May, 2010 7:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.

RatedRKO

Post by RatedRKO » Sat 29 May, 2010 7:33 pm

prattenpark wrote:The only disappointing thing about tonight was the lack of Tigers supporters at the game - just over 10,000 (and I think that included seagulls).
I thought we were a dedicated bunch, but where were we tonight? That was our smallest crowd since we played Brisbane at Campbelltown on a Friday in May last year - from memory it bucketed down prior to that game.
After the last performance at CS, why would anyone bother? There was a HUGE crowd at that game, and they showed no heart at all. Now they have to earn back the supporters, and last nights game would have helped.

I was at the Broncos game, rained pretty much during the whole thing. We were robbed that night :(

Tigermac

Post by Tigermac » Sat 29 May, 2010 7:38 pm

The majority of Wests Tigers supporters live neither at campbelltown or Leichhardt.

They come from all over Sydney. Personally I find the sfs the hardest of all to get to especially on a Friday or Monday night.

If anybody caught public transport to the game against Souths at the SCG, the trackwork that we had to endure on that day as well as the debacle that we were forced to watch would be very very hard to forget.

Its hard with so many home games, and I make sure that I always get to the Lecichhardt games because thats where I got my love of rugby league, and I can understand the love of campbelltown that some people have for exactly the same reasons.

gazza

Post by gazza » Sat 29 May, 2010 7:52 pm

I cant believe the crap you lot go on with.
Us v them
them v us
Its been a joint venture now for ten years and you still seem to harbour grudges.
A lot of you where probably aged about ten back than so whats your problem.
Maybe the fact the team has been very ordinary for weeks had just a bit to do with it.
grow up
cheers

NJLM78

Post by NJLM78 » Sat 29 May, 2010 8:29 pm

Tigermac wrote:The majority of Wests Tigers supporters live neither at campbelltown or Leichhardt.

They come from all over Sydney. Personally I find the sfs the hardest of all to get to especially on a Friday or Monday night.

If anybody caught public transport to the game against Souths at the SCG, the trackwork that we had to endure on that day as well as the debacle that we were forced to watch would be very very hard to forget.

Its hard with so many home games, and I make sure that I always get to the Lecichhardt games because thats where I got my love of rugby league, and I can understand the love of campbelltown that some people have for exactly the same reasons.
I think what you say at the start is interesting. From where I live the M7 make it easy to get to Campbelltown and a good run on the M2 makes it okay to get to SFS on a Monday or Friday night. But it is true that supporters do come from all over Sydney and points further away than that. It would be interesting to know of the Wests Tigers members how many have to travel a reasonable distance from home to get to a 'home' game, at which ever ground they may be. I was never a big fan of ANZ but I wonder if that venue would have drawn a larger crowd than we did last night, for the fact that it is central to most parts of Sydney.

Also(if someone who knows more about this than i do) : Would the Tigers have lost money on last nights game based on a crowd of that size with payment for lighting, security people, food service staff etc?

smeghead
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by smeghead » Sat 29 May, 2010 8:33 pm

This comes up every year.

Let it go people. It was a poor crowd yes but poor crowds happen sometimes. It is just the way the ball rolls.

DREW76

Post by DREW76 » Sat 29 May, 2010 10:01 pm

Here we go again. every year without doubt this topic raised.
Can you blame people for not going to the game. After the week of shocking weather, who would wanna sit out in the rain when it was going to be shown on tv?
Oh but if it was at LO the crowd would of been bigger, pigs arse.
Just be happy we won and quiet convincingly at that.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Sat 29 May, 2010 10:28 pm

Theres always the origin hangover when its in Sydney....pricey enough comp games let alone an Origin in the same week

Staks

Post by Staks » Sun 30 May, 2010 12:01 am

Those that know me know my thoughts on the matter.

I don't want to hear the excuses as they are irrelevant. The attendance last night was pathetic and the local community should hang there heads in shame. The locals, the media and the council having been asking for more games for years now... geez I even helped them and I live outside the area. The locals should be able to get at least 10k on there own without people coming from other parts of the state. This season both our traditional grounds HAVE TO average over 17k, make my works OVER 17k !! People need to turn up in numbers to prove to the Wests Tigers that these traditional venues deserve more games.... and before all you one eyed warriors turn this into a Campbelltown v Leichhardt crap again remember that one cannot survive without the other. If one ground gets poor attendances then the other ground will also suffer when game number allocations are determined each year.
Wests Tigers -- YOU'LL NEVER WALK ALONE -- Wests since 1908

Wests - the only team name to feature in every NSWRL/ARL/NRL season since 1908

Raptor

Post by Raptor » Sun 30 May, 2010 3:11 am

I can't afford to go to every given my girls are now getting an interest in the Tigers, 2 adults 2 kids throw in petrol, food and drinks adds up to an expensive night.
Plus friday nights are a h uge pain in the butt for me to go to a game..
I wont go to a game a the SFS as it's a bigger pain in the butt to get to then what it's worth for me..
Will be going to the next sunday game at leichhardt my fav ground in Sydney plus I grew 10 min from it..

crouching_tiger

Post by crouching_tiger » Sun 30 May, 2010 3:55 am

Staks wrote:Those that know me know my thoughts on the matter.

I don't want to hear the excuses as they are irrelevant. The attendance last night was pathetic and the local community should hang there heads in shame. The locals, the media and the council having been asking for more games for years now... geez I even helped them and I live outside the area. The locals should be able to get at least 10k on there own without people coming from other parts of the state. This season both our traditional grounds HAVE TO average over 17k, make my works OVER 17k !! People need to turn up in numbers to prove to the Wests Tigers that these traditional venues deserve more games.... and before all you one eyed warriors turn this into a Campbelltown v Leichhardt crap again remember that one cannot survive without the other. If one ground gets poor attendances then the other ground will also suffer when game number allocations are determined each year.
I might be an one-eyed warrior to which you refer ;) , but after that pathetic turnout last night i'm hoping WT choose to split a 5-5 home game allocation between SFS and Leichhardt in the next few years with Campbelltown to get 2. That's all that dump deserves..
Last edited by crouching_tiger on Sun 30 May, 2010 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
QUOTE WestsTigers:"Fitzhenry is a very experienced player and will assist in providing leadership to the younger players in the Wests Tigers squad"

QUOTE Tim Sheens:"We owe our fans an apology for that today"

QUOTE Stephen Humphreys:"it was important to secure Fifita for a longer period"