Could Have Been Killed By the Refs Again...

jirskyr

Re: Could Have Been Killed By the Refs Again...

Post by jirskyr » Mon 16 Jul, 2018 9:52 am

Geo. wrote:
Mon 16 Jul, 2018 9:46 am
Nucky Thompson wrote:
Mon 16 Jul, 2018 9:28 am
Geo. wrote:
Mon 16 Jul, 2018 7:44 am
What about Widdop being offside....

The KFC quota must have been done for the day....
Nah he was onside
Not according to my freeze frame IQ bunker..
It was worth checking, nobody even thought to look at it.

kingbrooks

Post by kingbrooks » Mon 16 Jul, 2018 9:52 am

The Naiqama no try has been given time and time agian for other clubs as well.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Mon 16 Jul, 2018 9:59 am

Spud Murphy wrote:
We got away with a million forward passes during that game, but the only one that mattered was pulled up. Apart from that, it was probably the most fairly refereed game I've seen all year, especially with us involved and playing a top side! Saints got their fair share of dodgy calls also. One of our blokes played the ball sideways at one point in the second half and the refs totally ignored it. I was amazed!
Yeah I remember that and was holding my breath we didn't get penalised... Saw one just like it pinged this weekend

Chicken Faced Killa

Post by Chicken Faced Killa » Mon 16 Jul, 2018 10:18 am

innsaneink wrote:
Mon 16 Jul, 2018 9:59 am
Spud Murphy wrote:
We got away with a million forward passes during that game, but the only one that mattered was pulled up. Apart from that, it was probably the most fairly refereed game I've seen all year, especially with us involved and playing a top side! Saints got their fair share of dodgy calls also. One of our blokes played the ball sideways at one point in the second half and the refs totally ignored it. I was amazed!
Yeah I remember that and was holding my breath we didn't get penalised... Saw one just like it pinged this weekend
Saw that too and was swearing before I realised that they decided not to give a penalty.

Playing the ball sideways or diagonal is one of my pet hates and I think they should ping them every time, it’s one of the fundamental skills of the game.

magpiecol

Post by magpiecol » Mon 16 Jul, 2018 12:07 pm

stevied wrote:
Mon 16 Jul, 2018 7:28 am
It was a fantastic win against all odds and what I'm about to say will be branded negative or nit picking by some but....

We could have been killed by the refs again....

1. We should have been leading 12-6 at half time if a brilliant and fair try set up my Marshall had been given.
2. We should have been in front 24-6 if it weren't for the double knock on call when Nofualuma streaked away to score following a Kurt Mann knock on.
3. Was Widdop off side before regaining the kick?

Other than the three incidents mentioned, the officials did a good job with a low penalty count keeping the game flowing. However, if we hadn't built such a big lead it could have ended in tears. It's hard not to think that the refs have the flash thought, 'it's only the struggling Tigers and it won't matter'. Besides the bum calls for the Tigers, the game simply doesn't need these types of mistakes. The pass by Marshall was top class and should have been rewarded as such.
Agree totally.

Fox Sport called Kev's no try as ok. I thought he had part of his hand on the ball.

No forward pass from Benji and definitely no double knock on for Nofo 's second try.

I don't think that you needed a freeze frame to see that Widdop was offside.

Should have been a comfortable win.

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Mon 16 Jul, 2018 12:26 pm

kingbrooks wrote:
Mon 16 Jul, 2018 9:52 am
Im sure its been given a dozen times when the on field decision has been try. There was not enough evidence to overturn the on field call, regardless what the call was.

Interesting the fact they didn't check Noffas try has gone unmentioned.

Russell

Post by Russell » Mon 16 Jul, 2018 12:29 pm

stevied wrote:
Mon 16 Jul, 2018 7:50 am
Chicken Faced Killa wrote:
Mon 16 Jul, 2018 7:34 am
Forward pass looked okay to me but it was very flat so a bit of bad luck there.

Double knock on was the right call. Dragons knock on and the Tiger knocked it back into him before regathering and setting up the play.
Thanks Chicken. They didn't go back and replay the double knock on and I based my call on Warren's commentary comment that he didn't know where the Tigers knock on was.
It was not a knock on by the Tigers imo. Watched it a few times.

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Mon 16 Jul, 2018 1:20 pm

Mon 16 Jul, 2018 7:34 am
Forward pass looked okay to me but it was very flat so a bit of bad luck there.

Double knock on was the right call. Dragons knock on and the Tiger knocked it back into him before regathering and setting up the play.
Roosters scored two off forward passes far worse than Benji's, one of them the controversial strip-post try by O'Sullivan (who thought he had bombed it).

barra

Post by barra » Mon 16 Jul, 2018 1:35 pm

stevied wrote:
Mon 16 Jul, 2018 7:54 am
Spud Murphy wrote:
Yes, to be totally honest, despite the positives of a low penalty count, the game was probably under officiated and could have done with one or two more penalties. I thought Saints were constantly off side following changeovers in our end but that could be my gold and black eyes shining brightly.
I agree too. All of a sudden they let a heap go in that game and allowed it to flow. There were so many occasions in the ruck that were identical to what we've been getting pulled up for in previous rounds.

Poor players might get pinged mercilessly again for the same stuff next week!

Nucky Thompson

Post by Nucky Thompson » Mon 16 Jul, 2018 8:45 pm

kingbrooks wrote:
Mon 16 Jul, 2018 9:52 am
The naiqama drop and marshall forward pass were optical illusions.

Kerry Cogger

Post by Kerry Cogger » Mon 16 Jul, 2018 9:20 pm

stevied wrote:
Mon 16 Jul, 2018 7:28 am
It was a fantastic win against all odds and what I'm about to say will be branded negative or nit picking by some but....

We could have been killed by the refs again....

1. We should have been leading 12-6 at half time if a brilliant and fair try set up my Marshall had been given.
2. We should have been in front 24-6 if it weren't for the double knock on call when Nofualuma streaked away to score following a Kurt Mann knock on.
3. Was Widdop off side before regaining the kick?

Other than the three incidents mentioned, the officials did a good job with a low penalty count keeping the game flowing. However, if we hadn't built such a big lead it could have ended in tears. It's hard not to think that the refs have the flash thought, 'it's only the struggling Tigers and it won't matter'. Besides the bum calls for the Tigers, the game simply doesn't need these types of mistakes. The pass by Marshall was top class and should have been rewarded as such.

Yet funnily enough those rorters thru a pass 3M forward and ref does not pull it up nor does the ref or video ref when the rooster on debut knocked on 27 times in his try off the post. Amazing.Its life those that right the rules interpret the rules so that the rich get richer and the tigers can suck eggs.

sideline eye

Post by sideline eye » Mon 16 Jul, 2018 10:21 pm

I saw Bill Harrigan on Fox Controversy Corner, saying that the bunker should be allowed to rule on forward passes when they are blatant. I agree.

Spud Murphy

Post by Spud Murphy » Mon 16 Jul, 2018 10:37 pm

Mon 16 Jul, 2018 10:18 am
innsaneink wrote:
Spud Murphy wrote:
Saw that too and was swearing before I realised that they decided not to give a penalty.

Playing the ball sideways or diagonal is one of my pet hates and I think they should ping them every time, it’s one of the fundamental skills of the game.
Yep players from just about every team always get pinged for this, so I was absolutely stunned when we, of all teams, got away with that one! The last one I saw let go was the Broncos one that cost us us the game when we were penalised for our markers not being square. Hard for the markers to be square when the bloke playing the ball is facing sideways!

Ftr, I think Kev definitely bobbled the ball when trying to ground it, so I have no issue with that ruling. Couldn't really judge with Benji's pass to Chee Kam, it was very line ball. St George were a tad unlucky with Vaughan's no try also.

stevied

Post by stevied » Tue 17 Jul, 2018 8:10 am

Spud Murphy wrote:
Mon 16 Jul, 2018 10:37 pm
Mon 16 Jul, 2018 10:18 am
innsaneink wrote:
Spud Murphy wrote:

Yep players from just about every team always get pinged for this, so I was absolutely stunned when we, of all teams, got away with that one! The last one I saw let go was the Broncos one that cost us us the game when we were penalised for our markers not being square. Hard for the markers to be square when the bloke playing the ball is facing sideways!

Ftr, I think Kev definitely bobbled the ball when trying to ground it, so I have no issue with that ruling. Couldn't really judge with Benji's pass to Chee Kam, it was very line ball. St George were a tad unlucky with Vaughan's no try also.

With respect Spud, St.George were not unlucky. The pass to Vaughan was clearly forward whereas the Marshall pass to MCK was not!

Tiger Steve

Post by Tiger Steve » Tue 17 Jul, 2018 8:18 am

sideline eye wrote:
Mon 16 Jul, 2018 10:21 pm
I saw Bill Harrigan on Fox Controversy Corner, saying that the bunker should be allowed to rule on forward passes when they are blatant. I agree.
But this would slow the game down even more I think. I believe the touchies need to be better and made accountable- they miss an obvious forward pass, sack them. Let’s face it - touchies are flipping useless at present
“Peanuts! Get ya peanuts - in the shell or sugar coated!” Leichhardt memories.

tonza

Post by tonza » Tue 17 Jul, 2018 12:26 pm

Benji's pass was so good, it fooled the referee as well as the opposition.