Better Chance Than People Think

weststigers

Better Chance Than People Think

Post by weststigers » Fri 23 Apr, 2010 1:03 am

Roosters game aside, the Tigers have turned up in defence in every game. The scoreboard looked bad last week but we didn't complete many sets and never gained any momentum because we didn't have the ball. The guys were out on their feet. Running up and back 10 metres for the whole game in defence is tiring for those of you that haven't played league and the Tigers did enough for 2 games on Friday night.

The score blew out, but if Benji gets that kick, I reckon at 12-6 it's a different ball game. Even so, we let in 2 tries in the last 10 after a mountain of defence, so I don't think the fact we were beaten by 20 points is any indication of our defence, but more our completion rate (59%).

I have watched the Game Analyser on NRL.com 4 times and when we did have the ball we looked dangerous. If we can hold onto the ball, we should be in for a good show. We are a different side this year and we must take heart in that there is only ONE team that has a better win/loss than us.....we are still EQUAL 2nd!

willow

Post by willow » Fri 23 Apr, 2010 7:49 am

It's a fair point you raise. I disagree about the Tigers looking dangerous in attack last week though. The team was flat and lacked go forward which made it difficult for the backline to weave any magic. The Tigers chances for tomorrow hinges on good completions and possession though. If they can work the Panthers over around the ruck, they can win, but they'll need more ball than last week and they'll have to complete around 80% of their sets. Easier said than done of course, but if the Tigers turn up to play then hopefully they can make their own luck.

supercoach

Post by supercoach » Fri 23 Apr, 2010 8:56 am

I was at the game, yes you are right what chance we had was blown away from the amount of D we had to do caused by, turn overs, lack of discipline and some tough calls, but our attack was A for average, their was no structure. Benji was trying to create but it was just side to side stuff. The Dogs didnt play well and really a good team would have smashed them.

In saying all the above every week is a new week and we can beat any team anywhere so we are not without chance at against the Penny panthers. I just think most things are pointing at a Penrith win, like form,injuries,history etc

TIGER

Post by TIGER » Fri 23 Apr, 2010 10:12 am

Put your pennies on the BlackCats 13+ we are in for it.
Last edited by TIGER on Fri 23 Apr, 2010 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

matty tiepie

Post by matty tiepie » Fri 23 Apr, 2010 10:16 am

you mean the panthers tiger. we will win this

prattenpark

Post by prattenpark » Fri 23 Apr, 2010 12:26 pm

I hope so. I'm never confident against these guys just because of our past record. But, am hopeful this is the year we turn all those things around. Parra - tick, Cowboys in Townsville - tick, Penrith - please, please, please.

willow

Post by willow » Fri 23 Apr, 2010 12:37 pm

I guess the other thing to look at is the Panthers form line. They've won their last 3 but look at the opposition...Newcastle who had a handy lead and choked, and the Knights aren't a great team...They got the Roosters on a bad day, they really threw very little at Penrith and then they smacked an injury depeleted Warriors team who were missing several top line players and have shown some very ordinary form with a couple of surprise performances thrown in. So while the Panthers are on a roll, the wins they have had aren't all that impressive. They deserve to be favorites against the Tigers, but if the Tigers do turn up ready to play, then it's game on.

G. Strombolli

Post by G. Strombolli » Fri 23 Apr, 2010 1:07 pm

willow wrote:They deserve to be favorites against the Tigers, but if the Tigers do turn up ready to play, then it's game on.
Indeed. Let's hope that's the case.

AmericanHistoryX

Post by AmericanHistoryX » Fri 23 Apr, 2010 1:19 pm

and dont forget the tigers have not lost 2 games in a row this season.
Clouds of Dust, Buckets of Blood

"They overcame the impossible by doing the unthinkable"

Beavis

Post by Beavis » Fri 23 Apr, 2010 1:24 pm

Every year, I tip the Tigers in this game, every year I manage to not get it right.
This week, I am tipping the Panthers, and still plan on not getting it right.

AndTheKungFoSing
Admin with a flute?
Admin with a flute?

Post by AndTheKungFoSing » Fri 23 Apr, 2010 1:29 pm

I hate playing the Panthers... because we seem to play terribly against them every single time!

I have seen a level of discipline in the Tigers outfit this season I have not seen before and this is what is very encouraging. Yes we missed a mammoth amount of tackles against the exactly how many of those happened late in the game when the boys ran out of puff.

We have a side that will trouble the Panthers, alot of people are calling Sheens to match them in the forwards and pick a big strong side... I've always been of the mind that when you start playing to suit the team you're up against, you go into the game in a negative mind set. We need to pick OUR side and play OUR game.... they need to beat us!

Our forwards are mobile and with Galloway and Gibbs back this week (fingers crossed Gibbs will be out there), alongside Fulton we should be able to contain their forwards imo. If we do this and tire them out early, we will have a field day in and around the ruck and we will win comfortably.

The flip–side ofcourse is we play busted and their forwards eat us up... we will loose by plenty.

We have a better side, we have the BEST backline in the comp...
I hate South Sydney.... immensely

triserratops

Post by triserratops » Fri 23 Apr, 2010 1:38 pm

Beavis wrote:Every year, I tip the Tigers in this game, every year I manage to not get it right.
This week, I am tipping the Panthers, and still plan on not getting it right.
Nice One!
What happens if this is the year YOU get it right!
Change it back, boys will get up!
STAND BACK OR SOMEONE WILL
GET HURT! YOU'VE BEEN WARNED!

AmericanHistoryX

Post by AmericanHistoryX » Fri 23 Apr, 2010 1:39 pm

Kaiser i argue we do not have the best backine in the comp especially with fitzy blitzy at the end of it.

TIGER

Post by TIGER » Fri 23 Apr, 2010 4:01 pm

willow wrote:I guess the other thing to look at is the Panthers form line. They've won their last 3 but look at the opposition...Newcastle who had a handy lead and choked, and the Knights aren't a great team...They got the Roosters on a bad day, they really threw very little at Penrith and then they smacked an injury depeleted Warriors team who were missing several top line players and have shown some very ordinary form with a couple of surprise performances thrown in. So while the Panthers are on a roll, the wins they have had aren't all that impressive. They deserve to be favorites against the Tigers, but if the Tigers do turn up ready to play, then it's game on.
Look at our record against Penrith, look at our record at Penrith, look at the fact we are playing with a halfback that wouldn't of played first grade this season possibly next if it wasn't for 2 injuries, look at the fact our best player is in doubt and will play injured if he does play and both our starting props one is coming back from a shoulder injury (maybe too early) and one was in hospital with concussion during the week (should he play)?. Look at our recent stats from the last few weeks regarding times tackled in opposition 20 especially in the first half it's a wonder we have won a game.
Penrith will score points and lots of them we know that, they will probably give us a few opportunities to score to, but is our attack good enough with a rookie half there?
If we win this match i think we are finals material this year but the signs last week especially in attack reminded me of the wonder years especially some of the things Benji did.

Cysquatch

Post by Cysquatch » Fri 23 Apr, 2010 4:39 pm

TIGER wrote:
willow wrote:I guess the other thing to look at is the Panthers form line. They've won their last 3 but look at the opposition...Newcastle who had a handy lead and choked, and the Knights aren't a great team...They got the Roosters on a bad day, they really threw very little at Penrith and then they smacked an injury depeleted Warriors team who were missing several top line players and have shown some very ordinary form with a couple of surprise performances thrown in. So while the Panthers are on a roll, the wins they have had aren't all that impressive. They deserve to be favorites against the Tigers, but if the Tigers do turn up ready to play, then it's game on.
Look at our record against Penrith, look at our record at Penrith, look at the fact we are playing with a halfback that wouldn't of played first grade this season possibly next if it wasn't for 2 injuries, look at the fact our best player is in doubt and will play injured if he does play and both our starting props one is coming back from a shoulder injury (maybe too early) and one was in hospital with concussion during the week (should he play)?. Look at our recent stats from the last few weeks regarding times tackled in opposition 20 especially in the first half it's a wonder we have won a game.
Penrith will score points and lots of them we know that, they will probably give us a few opportunities to score to, but is our attack good enough with a rookie half there?
If we win this match i think we are finals material this year but the signs last week especially in attack reminded me of the wonder years especially some of the things Benji did.
gee, should we turn up?
by Novocastrian Tiger » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:34 pm
Is it just me, or do alot of posts on this forum end up being like a pee pee measuring contest?

AmericanHistoryX

Post by AmericanHistoryX » Fri 23 Apr, 2010 4:42 pm

give it a miss

Year of the Tiger

Post by Year of the Tiger » Fri 23 Apr, 2010 8:03 pm

All this chat is depressing. If we are no chance tomorrow, then we are no chance this year, of the comp, or even the 8. While I am not confident in our replacement half or our walking wounded, I would love to the boys win our confidence with this one. With Farah, Benji, Lawrence, Tuqiri, Galloway and co on the field we are always a reasonable chance
2 October 2005 was the greatest day of my life ...

westTAHger

Post by westTAHger » Fri 23 Apr, 2010 8:11 pm

c'mon fellas if wests-tigers had no chance to win the game, wouldn't they have already forfeited.
thats right they haven't.
bounce of the ball is due the way of wests-tigers.
Basil, our rescue dog, is wondering when wests tigers will win 25 - 18 :D