Its Not Time To Jump Off The Gap Yet

supercoach

Its Not Time To Jump Off The Gap Yet

Post by supercoach » Sun 25 Jul, 2010 9:23 pm

Sat through 90% of todays game at Blue Tongue and Iam not over depressed at what I saw.

1--backing up from Monday was always going to be hard
2--Manly played well and have a really good pack
3--Manly got some really good fifty fifty calls that lead to meat pies
4--Manly were piggybacked down the field on most occasions with a penalty rather than a line break
5--Benji's kicking or should I say poor kicking is making it hard for us to stay in touch with the other teams
6-Thought we defended pretty well, it was the hail mary pass or the kick that got us in the end

Okay Manly deserved to win but I think we were a lot closer than the score suggested. So if our coach reacts with the RIGHT team selections I think we should win three or four of the next six and that will be enough to play finals football for a change and who knows from their

ron burgandy

Post by ron burgandy » Sun 25 Jul, 2010 9:33 pm

supercoach wrote:Sat through 90% of todays game at Blue Tongue and Iam not over depressed at what I saw.

4--Manly were piggybacked down the field on most occasions with a penalty rather than a line break
5--Benji's kicking or should I say poor kicking is making it hard for us to stay in touch with the other teams
6-Thought we defended pretty well, it was the hail mary pass or the kick that got us in the end

Okay Manly deserved to win but I think we were a lot closer than the score suggested. So if our coach reacts with the RIGHT team selections I think we should win three or four of the next six and that will be enough to play finals football for a change and who knows from their
1-we had a 6 day gap between games
3-only one call that led to their first try...we got one of their players sin binned and still got out scored in that time period
4-we were up 9-4 in the penatly with 10 mins left
6-we defended like crap what game were you watching?

angeman

Post by angeman » Mon 26 Jul, 2010 8:00 am

our defense was rubbish...

triserratops

Post by triserratops » Mon 26 Jul, 2010 8:24 am

Agree with the topic title, not the topic content.

Struggled to really find consistency with the ball, we seemed desperate even on the 2nd tackle when we were leading the game???

Patience is what the players need when we are in possession. I thought they were trying to score off every play off every set.

We will WIN the Premiership!
STAND BACK OR SOMEONE WILL
GET HURT! YOU'VE BEEN WARNED!

Gary Bakerloo

Post by Gary Bakerloo » Mon 26 Jul, 2010 8:36 am

This was the game and opponent we needed. We have coasted the past couple of weeks and sometimes you really need a loss to get a kick in the pants. Manly played extremely well.

However, it is important to remember that Manly was practically at full strength. We were missing our first choice fullback, halfback, second rower and a winger. Despite these factors, we lost 6 tries to 4. In addition, our second choice halfback was playing his first NRL match after an extended injury lay off.

I see more upside in Wests than Manly.

krayola

Post by krayola » Mon 26 Jul, 2010 8:52 am

I will be amazed if Manly play that well again, everything came off for them today

and I agree with the original post in that it seemed Manly milked a few

can't have helped that Farah was clearly not at his best in the 2nd half

and Tri, we will only win the premiership if Benji or someone can kick better for us. 65% will not cut it, considering most of our kicks are from the corners not in front of the post
One of my sources is Pascoe

Tigerpete

Post by Tigerpete » Mon 26 Jul, 2010 11:57 am

I agree, this is the loss we needed to have. We have stumbled, tripped, crawled our way through the past 2 months and yet only lost once to the Dragons. We did look off the pace though yesterday, perhaps it's the monday night thing, giving the shorter week. I know we still had 6 days off but routine is a funny thing.

prattenpark

Post by prattenpark » Mon 26 Jul, 2010 12:12 pm

triserratops wrote:Agree with the topic title, not the topic content.

Struggled to really find consistency with the ball, we seemed desperate even on the 2nd tackle when we were leading the game???

Patience is what the players need when we are in possession. I thought they were trying to score off every play off every set.

We will WIN the Premiership!
We really lacked patience. I think we panicked a little in response to the aggression and enthusiasm of the manly team. The play that summed up the day for me was a couple of minutes before half time. We'd just scored to get it back to 18-12 and rather than be content and play a solid set of 6 with a kick into the corner, Farah tried the blind side play, we dropped the ball and they scored that miraculous try to go in 24-12. Pretty much summed up the day for me.

hybrid_tiger

Post by hybrid_tiger » Mon 26 Jul, 2010 12:19 pm

The lack of patience is a hallmark of our game and not just restricted to yesterdays match.

What summed it up for me was Benji diving on the dropped ball early in the second half, then throwing a ridiculous pass and giving it straight back to Manly. You just picked up the ball, its zero tackle, WHY DID A PASS NEED TO BE THROWN?

The thing is, these issues always seem to be talked about but they happen time and time again. Nothing ever changes.

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Mon 26 Jul, 2010 12:29 pm

ron burgandy wrote:
supercoach wrote:Sat through 90% of todays game at Blue Tongue and Iam not over depressed at what I saw.

1-we had a 6 day gap between games
3-only one call that led to their first try...we got one of their players sin binned and still got out scored in that time period
4-we were up 9-4 in the penatly with 10 mins left
6-we defended like crap what game were you watching?
2 - Manly are a terrible second half side and aren't fit... We're the best second half side in the comp and our team would be amongst the fittest yet we were completely dominated in that period.
#penaltyTigers

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

prattenpark

Post by prattenpark » Mon 26 Jul, 2010 1:12 pm

hybrid_tiger wrote:The lack of patience is a hallmark of our game and not just restricted to yesterdays match.

What summed it up for me was Benji diving on the dropped ball early in the second half, then throwing a ridiculous pass and giving it straight back to Manly. You just picked up the ball, its zero tackle, WHY DID A PASS NEED TO BE THROWN?

The thing is, these issues always seem to be talked about but they happen time and time again. Nothing ever changes.
Did you have to remind me. :(

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Mon 26 Jul, 2010 2:38 pm

prattenpark wrote:
hybrid_tiger wrote:The lack of patience is a hallmark of our game and not just restricted to yesterdays match.

Did you have to remind me. :(
It was Heighington though wasn't it? Not his best game, pushed two poor passes towards the end of the match too.

smeghead
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by smeghead » Mon 26 Jul, 2010 2:52 pm

Unfortunatley some of our forwards were pushed to things by desperation and willingness of effort.

Well that and the playmakers in the side were pretty much MIA at that point

red dogg

Post by red dogg » Mon 26 Jul, 2010 3:03 pm

Sittin in the stands, i felt we were very much still in the game untill fulton dropped the ball off the scrum... when we held onto the ball we absolutely had them in sixes and sevens. Our mistakes killed us big time.... It was hard to watch...
Im not to worried about loosing to manly as i believe that them 2 points will only give that club fulse hope...
But i am a tad pissed off as the 2 points would of put us 2 points away from the dragons and leap frog the panthers, but after watchin these 2 sides on the weekend i think we are still playin better football then them.
I fear no side in the NRL this yr... my only fear is that in 6wks time we havent hit full throttle....

Snake

Post by Snake » Mon 26 Jul, 2010 4:15 pm

Heighington gets way to much ball IMO this is the problem when you have to many similar players eg Flanigan/Fulton Heighington there is no balance in our pack!

tig_prmz

Post by tig_prmz » Mon 26 Jul, 2010 4:27 pm

Our attack kind of ticked me off today. We only seemed to throwing the pass from one sideline to another and hoping that the winger scored. And why was Benji playing right? He has played left the whole season with Lawrence and Tuqiri and this game I'm pretty sure he played right with Lui on the left. Stupid combo.
My Round 1 Team 2018

1. lolo 2. noffa 3. suli 4. milne 5. fonua
6. reynolds 7. brooks
8. packer 9. ET 10. Twal
11. McQuen 12. Lawrence 13. Eiso
14. Matulino 15. McIllwrick 16. Sue 17. Aloiai
18. Marsters 19. Benji 20. Grant 21. K Naiqama
Next: Liddle, MCK, Felise, MWZ, Thompson, Rochow, Gamble