Willow's match report and player review

User avatar
MGB
Member
Member
Posts: 528
Joined: Tue 14 Jul, 2009 9:06 am

Re: Willow's match report and player review

Post by MGB » Sun 08 Aug, 2010 10:41 am

Pretty generous re: Lote Willow but I agree with the rest of your review. Lote's form has been down for a few weeks now I get the impression he is playing injured.

It was a bad loss but hopefully the loss we had to have to pull us out of the doldrums of the past few weeks because while we may have been winning we haven't been good.


User avatar
willow
Member
Member
Posts: 33162
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 9:28 pm
Location: The Village

Post by willow » Sun 08 Aug, 2010 10:44 am

MGB wrote:Pretty generous re: Lote Willow but I agree with the rest of your review. Lote's form has been down for a few weeks now I get the impression he is playing injured.

It was a bad loss but hopefully the loss we had to have to pull us out of the doldrums of the past few weeks because while we may have been winning we haven't been good.
I don't know, i rated him higher initially but dropped him to a 5. He came up with some strong runs and bagged another try, but the team really fell apart in the second half and a couple of the mistakes at the back from Ryan and Tuqiri were poor.

User avatar
Tiger Watto
Member
Member
Posts: 10560
Joined: Mon 08 Mar, 2010 7:12 pm
Location: Maroochydore Qld

Post by Tiger Watto » Sun 08 Aug, 2010 11:19 am

tiger jim wrote:Good report Willow, just a though on Lui sure his defence needs work but in attack i think he is not being allowed to be the Robert Lui we saw in the 20s Sheens seems to have tired him down so bad that all his roll is to get it out to Bengi. When was the last time have we seen him put in chip and chase, take charge of a backline raid ,put up a bomb do the talking, look at him in the 20s free and easy controling plays now he looks like a robot ball in out to Bengi.I for one would like to see the real Lui set free to do his thing before Sheens stuffs up another good talent
Something needs to give here...

I get this feeling Benji & Robbie are simply trying too hard and dont seem to allow Robert to call anything. Judging by the replay this morning, I would go as far to say they are over-ruling him. In the games where Lui has been allowed to take control, his defence was semi-solid. At the moment, he is simply jersey and arm grabbing and I feel he is playing with no confidence due to the fact he is constantly over-ruled.

Either he is allowed to take control, or we get rid of the Halfback jumper altogether and play a 2nd Hooker on the bench. Once the 2nd Hooker comes on, Robbie alternates with Benji at First Receiver, Second Receiver and Hooker. For the first 25-30 minutes, we could easily play a backrower like Fulton at 6.

At the end of the day, Robert Lui doesnt know his place in this team...
"Did someone buy you the internet hero play book for Christmas and you've only just started reading it?" - Nelson 21/04/2017

User avatar
willow
Member
Member
Posts: 33162
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 9:28 pm
Location: The Village

Post by willow » Sun 08 Aug, 2010 11:31 am

Just watched Souths winning try again. The most disappointing part about it is the players Wesser beat while opening up the Tigers. He beat Ellis who got hands on him, he beat Heighno who got hands on him and he beat Gibbs who got hands on him, and they are 3 of the Tigers best defenders. Admittedly they were out on their feet, but it's shame that 3 good defenders couldn't grass Wesser.

User avatar
Tiger Watto
Member
Member
Posts: 10560
Joined: Mon 08 Mar, 2010 7:12 pm
Location: Maroochydore Qld

Post by Tiger Watto » Sun 08 Aug, 2010 11:33 am

I turned it off at the 78th minute Willow...

:brick: :deadhorse: :evil:
"Did someone buy you the internet hero play book for Christmas and you've only just started reading it?" - Nelson 21/04/2017


User avatar
westTAHger
Member
Member
Posts: 4771
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 3:07 pm
Location: With the Groovy Ghoulies

Post by westTAHger » Sun 08 Aug, 2010 12:56 pm

thanks for the report willow.
I just don't understand, when Ryans gets the ball he does not run straight and hard.earlier in the year when he did this he made good yards. now he runs across field, like a crab.
.
if wests-tigers do not make the top 8 they only have themselves to blame.
hate to admit it, but the game was there for the taking, and they choked.
.
only highlight of the night was catching up with tigergran and Stu.
Image
Basil, our rescue dog, is wondering when wests tigers will win 25 - 18 :D

User avatar
Geo.
Member
Member
Posts: 29892
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 10:55 pm
Location: Sandy Point NSW..

Post by Geo. » Sun 08 Aug, 2010 1:01 pm

Tiger Watto wrote:
Something needs to give here...

I get this feeling Benji & Robbie are simply trying too hard and dont seem to allow Robert to call anything.
:shock: I had to stop right there...

Trying too hard....Hmmm
Wests Tigers don't need a Coach.. The playing group has taken over..
happy tiger wrote:
Thu 25 Oct, 2018 12:17 am
OK I was wrong
happy tiger wrote:
Thu 22 Nov, 2018 12:13 am
I know at times I'm not always the brightest light in the kitchen

User avatar
Tiger Watto
Member
Member
Posts: 10560
Joined: Mon 08 Mar, 2010 7:12 pm
Location: Maroochydore Qld

Post by Tiger Watto » Sun 08 Aug, 2010 1:33 pm

Geo. wrote:
Tiger Watto wrote:
Something needs to give here...

I get this feeling Benji & Robbie are simply trying too hard and dont seem to allow Robert to call anything.
:shock: I had to stop right there...

Trying too hard....Hmmm
You didnt see the stupid flick pass and grubber on the first and third tackles?
"Did someone buy you the internet hero play book for Christmas and you've only just started reading it?" - Nelson 21/04/2017

X-Pac
Member
Member
Posts: 590
Joined: Tue 14 Jul, 2009 5:25 pm

Post by X-Pac » Sun 08 Aug, 2010 1:51 pm

Heighnington according to the stats didnt even make 100 metres wtf,im sure he made more than Ellis who made 170 :shock:

User avatar
willow
Member
Member
Posts: 33162
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 9:28 pm
Location: The Village

Post by willow » Sun 08 Aug, 2010 1:57 pm

X-Pac wrote:Heighnington according to the stats didnt even make 100 metres wtf,im sure he made more than Ellis who made 170 :shock:
Heighno made plenty in the first half, but he was a bit quieter in the second half with Galloway and Ellis making plenty.

User avatar
Geo.
Member
Member
Posts: 29892
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 10:55 pm
Location: Sandy Point NSW..

Post by Geo. » Sun 08 Aug, 2010 2:01 pm

Tiger Watto wrote:
You didnt see the stupid flick pass and grubber on the first and third tackles?
I did....I have been watching similar since 2003....that is what I like to refer to as the continuing development of Benji Marshall Rugby League Player...It is not trying too hard....

I also saw Farah consitantly catch the markers out....especially in extra time and get nothing for it...

That game should have never even got to Golden Point....

They went away from what was working albiet boring and ugly...too trying to bury Souff's with flair and flambouance....this led to I'll discipline, turning over the football and giving the opposition penalties which led to their momentum...Lawrence getting taken out and Payten missing caused a total collapse in defensive structure in the final quarter of the game....When you add the absolute stinkers from Lortay and Ryan it proves as always with Wests Tigers having a lot of work to do.....

Bring on the Panfers....
Wests Tigers don't need a Coach.. The playing group has taken over..
happy tiger wrote:
Thu 25 Oct, 2018 12:17 am
OK I was wrong
happy tiger wrote:
Thu 22 Nov, 2018 12:13 am
I know at times I'm not always the brightest light in the kitchen

tig_prmz
Member
Member
Posts: 8024
Joined: Sat 03 Oct, 2009 10:32 pm

Post by tig_prmz » Sun 08 Aug, 2010 2:58 pm

Ooops!! Moors didn't play?? What happened to him, why isn't he playing??
My Round 1 Team 2018

1. lolo 2. noffa 3. suli 4. milne 5. fonua
6. reynolds 7. brooks
8. packer 9. ET 10. Twal
11. McQuen 12. Lawrence 13. Eiso
14. Matulino 15. McIllwrick 16. Sue 17. Aloiai
18. Marsters 19. Benji 20. Grant 21. K Naiqama
Next: Liddle, MCK, Felise, MWZ, Thompson, Rochow, Gamble

tiger tigers
Member
Member
Posts: 981
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 6:49 am

Post by tiger tigers » Sun 08 Aug, 2010 3:14 pm

Tiger Watto wrote:
tiger jim wrote:Good report Willow, just a though on Lui sure his defence needs work but in attack i think he is not being allowed to be the Robert Lui we saw in the 20s Sheens seems to have tired him down so bad that all his roll is to get it out to Bengi. When was the last time have we seen him put in chip and chase, take charge of a backline raid ,put up a bomb do the talking, look at him in the 20s free and easy controling plays now he looks like a robot ball in out to Bengi.I for one would like to see the real Lui set free to do his thing before Sheens stuffs up another good talent
Something needs to give here...

I get this feeling Benji & Robbie are simply trying too hard and dont seem to allow Robert to call anything. Judging by the replay this morning, I would go as far to say they are over-ruling him. In the games where Lui has been allowed to take control, his defence was semi-solid. At the moment, he is simply jersey and arm grabbing and I feel he is playing with no confidence due to the fact he is constantly over-ruled.

Either he is allowed to take control, or we get rid of the Halfback jumper altogether and play a 2nd Hooker on the bench. Once the 2nd Hooker comes on, Robbie alternates with Benji at First Receiver, Second Receiver and Hooker. For the first 25-30 minutes, we could easily play a backrower like Fulton at 6.

At the end of the day, Robert Lui doesnt know his place in this team...
yeah i think your right watto if he is picked at halfback , let the kid play halfback .

User avatar
tiger05
Member
Member
Posts: 1649
Joined: Sun 12 Jul, 2009 9:02 pm

Post by tiger05 » Sun 08 Aug, 2010 3:45 pm

Geo. wrote:
Tiger Watto wrote:
You didnt see the stupid flick pass and grubber on the first and third tackles?
I did....I have been watching similar since 2003....that is what I like to refer to as the continuing development of Benji Marshall Rugby League Player...It is not trying too hard....

I also saw Farah consitantly catch the markers out....especially in extra time and get nothing for it...

That game should have never even got to Golden Point....

They went away from what was working albiet boring and ugly...too trying to bury Souff's with flair and flambouance....this led to I'll discipline, turning over the football and giving the opposition penalties which led to their momentum...Lawrence getting taken out and Payten missing caused a total collapse in defensive structure in the final quarter of the game....When you add the absolute stinkers from Lortay and Ryan it proves as always with Wests Tigers having a lot of work to do.....

Bring on the Panfers....
This is about what I reckon went wrong out there.

Farah was good out there and if the refs actually gave away penalties we would have won. Benji was also good apart from the one or two really poor options that he took.

At the end of the day though Lote and Ryan lost us that game. Yes if the refs had shown a set of balls and had been consistent we win however that is footy. What Lote & Ryan did out there was so poor it isn't funny. And yes it is still getting to me.

User avatar
Paris Cobbs
Member
Member
Posts: 915
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 3:39 pm
Location: Paris, France.

Post by Paris Cobbs » Sun 08 Aug, 2010 5:17 pm

Thanks Willow, nice to have you back. I'm surprised you could actually type after that game - maybe it's therapeutic. I didn't see the game, which may have been merciful. That's twice now we have lost games we really should have won - the other was vs the Roosters at Campbo. We got screwed by the video ref on both occasions as well.
Cheering for the mighty Wests Tigers, all the way from France.

Post Reply