Mateo try?

ImageImageImage
Kickoff: 7:30pm
Venue: Leichhardt Oval
Telecast: FoxSports2 LIVE

Did the ref stuff up

Yes
45
90%
No
5
10%
 
Total votes: 50

User avatar
mike
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 1680
Joined: Mon 28 Jun, 2010 8:32 pm
Location: Hornsby

Re: Mateo try?

Post by mike » Sun 20 Mar, 2011 9:25 pm

happy tiger wrote:Refs are damned if they do and damned if they don't Personally I prefer video ref Lets just get it right as much as possible to stop people complaining
Trouble is the video ref doesn't always get it right either. I much rather the current 2011 practice and if the refs on the field get it wrong occasionally, well I can live with that.
Western Suburbs supporter since 1960 | Balmain junior since 1967 | Wests Tigers supporter since 1999


User avatar
Jazza
Member
Member
Posts: 1980
Joined: Sat 11 Jul, 2009 1:38 am
Location: Glen Alpine

Post by Jazza » Sun 20 Mar, 2011 10:55 pm

It was definitely a try and it left a bit of a bitter taste in my mouth for the game because who knows how things would of panned out if it was given.

In saying that I have been pretty impressed with the standard of refereeing so far this season, I think Harragan and Raper are on the right track with things. Plus with the young refs having more experience now then before, I'm looking forward to a good season by the refs.

It was a blunder but I think theyre on the right track.
Gee its grouse at hardware house!

Marshall_magic
Member
Member
Posts: 4295
Joined: Tue 14 Jul, 2009 5:33 pm

Post by Marshall_magic » Mon 21 Mar, 2011 12:35 am

tiger tigers wrote:it evened up in the wash up ...RHINOS try was a try ... mckinnon never figured in the play ... thats just my opinion......but thats rugby league as they say .....
Disagree, McKinnon got in Hohia's line of sight, Hohia eased off the ball (to tackle McKinnon if he picked it up I assume), then McKinnon stopped, and Hino charged onto it. Had Wade not chased the kick through I think Hohia would have defused that kick.

happy tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 40749
Joined: Sun 27 Feb, 2011 4:49 pm

Post by happy tiger » Mon 21 Mar, 2011 1:16 am

mike wrote:
happy tiger wrote:Refs are damned if they do and damned if they don't Personally I prefer video ref Lets just get it right as much as possible to stop people complaining
Trouble is the video ref doesn't always get it right either. I much rather the current 2011 practice and if the refs on the field get it wrong occasionally, well I can live with that.
Lot more right than wrong Mike I don't want a grand final stuffed up on a wrong call Especially if we are on the recieving end of the wrong call We have the technology just use it The only major sports that don't use it is soccer And how many screw ups do they have HEAPS

User avatar
Spartan117
Member
Member
Posts: 5881
Joined: Wed 07 Oct, 2009 4:22 pm
Location: Picnic Point, Sydney

Post by Spartan117 » Mon 21 Mar, 2011 7:43 am

Big Sports Breakfast crew Including Gary Freeman said it was a try for sure and the warriors were dudded.
UTT - Up The Tigers


User avatar
tiger4ever
Member
Member
Posts: 1552
Joined: Thu 30 Jul, 2009 1:07 pm
Location: BLACKTOWN

Post by tiger4ever » Mon 21 Mar, 2011 10:06 am

I dont believe some of you guys refs make mistakes that can turn a game all the time whether its a try or a crucial penalty so whats the problem.

You guys whinge when we lose and when we win you look for reasons why we could have lost.

Get over it the final score was 20-12 thats that.

The tigs have got rorted plenty of times so whats the problem.

Utai first try that was picked up as a forward pass but i was inline with that and it was line ball....A try if you ask me

User avatar
mike
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 1680
Joined: Mon 28 Jun, 2010 8:32 pm
Location: Hornsby

Post by mike » Mon 21 Mar, 2011 6:41 pm

happy tiger wrote:
mike wrote:
happy tiger wrote:Refs are damned if they do and damned if they don't Personally I prefer video ref Lets just get it right as much as possible to stop people complaining
Trouble is the video ref doesn't always get it right either. I much rather the current 2011 practice and if the refs on the field get it wrong occasionally, well I can live with that.
Lot more right than wrong Mike
Evidence?
Western Suburbs supporter since 1960 | Balmain junior since 1967 | Wests Tigers supporter since 1999

happy tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 40749
Joined: Sun 27 Feb, 2011 4:49 pm

Post by happy tiger » Mon 21 Mar, 2011 7:30 pm

mike wrote:
happy tiger wrote:
mike wrote:
happy tiger wrote:Refs are damned if they do and damned if they don't Personally I prefer video ref Lets just get it right as much as possible to stop people complaining
Trouble is the video ref doesn't always get it right either. I much rather the current 2011 practice and if the refs on the field get it wrong occasionally, well I can live with that.
Lot more right than wrong Mike
Evidence?
well we have 3 mistakes in 2 rounds so far lets see how many they would get wrong if we get rid of video refs altogether as you said . Mike if we get rid of video refs can we still use video evidence to incriminate players for illegal things ie spear tackles high tackles gouging biting etc What is so wrong about trying to get the decision right 99.5 out of 100 when it is so easy to do so If there are mistakes it is usually from bad camera angles

User avatar
mike
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 1680
Joined: Mon 28 Jun, 2010 8:32 pm
Location: Hornsby

Post by mike » Mon 21 Mar, 2011 7:52 pm

happy tiger wrote:
mike wrote:
happy tiger wrote:
mike wrote: Trouble is the video ref doesn't always get it right either. I much rather the current 2011 practice and if the refs on the field get it wrong occasionally, well I can live with that.
Lot more right than wrong Mike
Evidence?
well we have 3 mistakes in 2 rounds so far lets see how many they would get wrong if we get rid of video refs altogether as you said . Mike if we get rid of video refs can we still use video evidence to incriminate players for illegal things ie spear tackles high tackles gouging biting etc What is so wrong about trying to get the decision right 99.5 out of 100 when it is so easy to do so If there are mistakes it is usually from bad camera angles
I never said get rid of the video refs, I said I like the current 2011 practice. That is only going up to the video ref when the ref on the field is not 100% sure of the call. In previous years the refs on the field have been using the video ref as a crutch, too afraid to make a decision. I like the spontaneity so far of 2011 season. We are not going endlessly up to the video ref and having to watch 8 replays just to make a call and even then not always getting it right.

I repeat I like the current 2011 practice and if there is an occasional error from the ref on the field making a decision then I can live with that.
Western Suburbs supporter since 1960 | Balmain junior since 1967 | Wests Tigers supporter since 1999

happy tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 40749
Joined: Sun 27 Feb, 2011 4:49 pm

Post by happy tiger » Mon 21 Mar, 2011 8:03 pm

Ok Mike I will compromise Use your system up until Semis and the all tries get checked after . As I said early on the last thing i want to see is Grand Final screwed up because the refs made a huge blunder Can you live with that ?????????????

redemption
Member
Member
Posts: 1475
Joined: Wed 26 May, 2010 3:24 am

Post by redemption » Mon 21 Mar, 2011 8:11 pm

mike wrote:
happy tiger wrote:
mike wrote:
happy tiger wrote: Lot more right than wrong Mike
Evidence?
well we have 3 mistakes in 2 rounds so far lets see how many they would get wrong if we get rid of video refs altogether as you said . Mike if we get rid of video refs can we still use video evidence to incriminate players for illegal things ie spear tackles high tackles gouging biting etc What is so wrong about trying to get the decision right 99.5 out of 100 when it is so easy to do so If there are mistakes it is usually from bad camera angles
I never said get rid of the video refs, I said I like the current 2011 practice. That is only going up to the video ref when the ref on the field is not 100% sure of the call. In previous years the refs on the field have been using the video ref as a crutch, too afraid to make a decision. I like the spontaneity so far of 2011 season. We are not going endlessly up to the video ref and having to watch 8 replays just to make a call and even then not always getting it right.

I repeat I like the current 2011 practice and if there is an occasional error from the ref on the field making a decision then I can live with that.

Harrigan was always 100% confident - even when he was 100% WRONG!!!

If technology works they should use it!!!

redemption
Member
Member
Posts: 1475
Joined: Wed 26 May, 2010 3:24 am

Post by redemption » Mon 21 Mar, 2011 8:12 pm

tiger4ever wrote:I dont believe some of you guys refs make mistakes that can turn a game all the time whether its a try or a crucial penalty so whats the problem.

You guys whinge when we lose and when we win you look for reasons why we could have lost.

Get over it the final score was 20-12 thats that.

The tigs have got rorted plenty of times so whats the problem.

Utai first try that was picked up as a forward pass but i was inline with that and it was line ball....A try if you ask me
I agree 100%!!!

Leroy The Tigers Fan
Member
Member
Posts: 832
Joined: Sat 13 Mar, 2010 10:10 am

Post by Leroy The Tigers Fan » Mon 21 Mar, 2011 8:29 pm

The big question that no one has asked is, did Mateo think he score?.
If Mateo had thought he had scored he would firstly have celebrated scoring a try and secondly would have made a move for the ref to send it upstairs.
Referees are only human and so are the video refs, perhaps it should have been awarded to Mateo if someone asked the question but on the other hand when Rhino asked the question he was denied a try.
What goes around comes around.

User avatar
cunno
Member
Member
Posts: 4389
Joined: Wed 28 Jul, 2010 7:42 pm

Post by cunno » Mon 21 Mar, 2011 8:30 pm

Looks like the nrl is going full circle. In the past referees had to make decisions on their own but after complaints about ref mistakes, technology was brought in to correct that. Refs used the video ref to minimise mistakes, now there is a push for refs to be more decisive and make decisions rather than going to the video ref all the time and yes some mistakes are being made, surprise, surprise. It won't be long until refs are criticised to the point where they go back to the video ref more and more IMO.

User avatar
mike
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 1680
Joined: Mon 28 Jun, 2010 8:32 pm
Location: Hornsby

Post by mike » Mon 21 Mar, 2011 8:31 pm

redemption wrote:
mike wrote:
happy tiger wrote:
mike wrote: Evidence?
well we have 3 mistakes in 2 rounds so far lets see how many they would get wrong if we get rid of video refs altogether as you said . Mike if we get rid of video refs can we still use video evidence to incriminate players for illegal things ie spear tackles high tackles gouging biting etc What is so wrong about trying to get the decision right 99.5 out of 100 when it is so easy to do so If there are mistakes it is usually from bad camera angles
I never said get rid of the video refs, I said I like the current 2011 practice. That is only going up to the video ref when the ref on the field is not 100% sure of the call. In previous years the refs on the field have been using the video ref as a crutch, too afraid to make a decision. I like the spontaneity so far of 2011 season. We are not going endlessly up to the video ref and having to watch 8 replays just to make a call and even then not always getting it right.

I repeat I like the current 2011 practice and if there is an occasional error from the ref on the field making a decision then I can live with that.

Harrigan was always 100% confident - even when he was 100% WRONG!!!

If technology works they should use it!!!
But the technology doesn't work 100% of the time. In the end the decision is still made by a human and even with the help of all the technology they can still get it wrong.
Western Suburbs supporter since 1960 | Balmain junior since 1967 | Wests Tigers supporter since 1999

User avatar
mike
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 1680
Joined: Mon 28 Jun, 2010 8:32 pm
Location: Hornsby

Post by mike » Mon 21 Mar, 2011 8:33 pm

happy tiger wrote:Ok Mike I will compromise Use your system up until Semis and the all tries get checked after . As I said early on the last thing i want to see is Grand Final screwed up because the refs made a huge blunder Can you live with that ?????????????
And what will you say when the video ref gets it wrong?
Western Suburbs supporter since 1960 | Balmain junior since 1967 | Wests Tigers supporter since 1999

happy tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 40749
Joined: Sun 27 Feb, 2011 4:49 pm

Post by happy tiger » Mon 21 Mar, 2011 8:51 pm

mike wrote:
happy tiger wrote:Ok Mike I will compromise Use your system up until Semis and the all tries get checked after . As I said early on the last thing i want to see is Grand Final screwed up because the refs made a huge blunder Can you live with that ?????????????
And what will you say when the video ref gets it wrong?
Probably the same thing I will say when referees stuff up and not send upstairs

User avatar
B B
Member
Member
Posts: 75
Joined: Sun 12 Jul, 2009 8:58 pm

Post by B B » Mon 21 Mar, 2011 9:53 pm

It was a try but Inu's should have been disallowed. He put his foot into touch by 1cm when he was going down the sideline but I only picked that up by pausing IQ so I can't blame the touchy for missing it. Although they did miss Morris going over the sideline by a metre in the GF last year.

P.S Archer is the worst ref in the comp.

Post Reply