R. I. P. Balmain

Balmain Tigers and Western Suburbs Magpies Junior Development Discussion
User avatar
innsaneink
Member
Member
Posts: 29771
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 9:49 pm
Location: ...ahead of you....

R. I. P. Balmain

Post by innsaneink » Fri 26 Oct, 2018 5:46 pm

Placed into voluntary administration


Byron Bay Fan
Member
Member
Posts: 4988
Joined: Sat 17 Oct, 2015 2:14 pm

Post by Byron Bay Fan » Fri 26 Oct, 2018 5:47 pm

innsaneink wrote:
Fri 26 Oct, 2018 5:46 pm
Placed into voluntary administration
What Balmain RLFC?
Malcolm Knox: What has happened this week is a pity for the Tigers, a pity for Jason Taylor and a pity for Robbie Farah, who had achieved more than the Big Four put together but was somehow turned into collateral damage. (SMH 25-26 March, 2017)

User avatar
joebob
Member
Member
Posts: 284
Joined: Tue 14 Jul, 2009 4:15 pm
Location: Concord West

Post by joebob » Fri 26 Oct, 2018 6:00 pm


happy tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 41853
Joined: Sun 27 Feb, 2011 4:49 pm
Location: Watching Waiting Lurking

Post by happy tiger » Fri 26 Oct, 2018 6:08 pm

Bloody hell , bad news

As awful as this sounds , maybe this might give Balmain a chance for a long term future

User avatar
cktiger
Member
Member
Posts: 3530
Joined: Fri 12 Nov, 2010 10:37 am

Post by cktiger » Fri 26 Oct, 2018 6:13 pm

Looks like the Leagues cub has been told porkies again.
I suppose you can't blame the new developers not coming up with the promised extra loot if the site gets turned into a dumping ground for the next 8 years.
Why on earth they thank Darcy for his help I'll never know.... unless because he's helped stopped the go ahead for years.
Wonder how long before his next press release?


User avatar
Chicken Faced Killa
Member
Member
Posts: 2045
Joined: Mon 17 Apr, 2017 8:19 pm

Post by Chicken Faced Killa » Fri 26 Oct, 2018 9:07 pm

Sad news. Hopefully they can come back at some stage.

Will this have a flow on affect to the Balmain junior league?

User avatar
innsaneink
Member
Member
Posts: 29771
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 9:49 pm
Location: ...ahead of you....

Post by innsaneink » Fri 26 Oct, 2018 9:26 pm

Chicken Faced Killa wrote:
Fri 26 Oct, 2018 9:07 pm
Sad news. Hopefully they can come back at some stage.

Will this have a flow on affect to the Balmain junior league?
Ryde eastwood & Wests Ashfield looking after BJRL mainly werent they?

User avatar
Cultured Bogan
Member
Member
Posts: 18538
Joined: Tue 15 Sep, 2009 11:20 pm
Location: Blue Mountains

Post by Cultured Bogan » Fri 26 Oct, 2018 9:30 pm

Thanks to the State ALP government of the day, Darcy Byrne, Benny Elias and Rozelle Village for not only killing the Tigers, but pissing all over the body as well.
Help me... I broke apart my insides,
Help me... I've got no soul to sell;
Help me... The only thing that works for me,
Help me get away from myself...

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

User avatar
Chicken Faced Killa
Member
Member
Posts: 2045
Joined: Mon 17 Apr, 2017 8:19 pm

Post by Chicken Faced Killa » Fri 26 Oct, 2018 9:39 pm

innsaneink wrote:
Fri 26 Oct, 2018 9:26 pm
Chicken Faced Killa wrote:
Fri 26 Oct, 2018 9:07 pm
Sad news. Hopefully they can come back at some stage.

Will this have a flow on affect to the Balmain junior league?
Ryde eastwood & Wests Ashfield looking after BJRL mainly werent they?
Ryde Eastwood sponsor a number of clubs same as Wests Ashfield. The Balmain Junior League has its own board but I am unsure where they get their funding from. But we may be right.

andrew 474
Member
Member
Posts: 1546
Joined: Sat 11 Jun, 2011 2:15 pm

Post by andrew 474 » Fri 26 Oct, 2018 11:06 pm

Very sad news , a foundation club that has now gone , be it from bad decisions by board , Directors and grubs , it's a sad day when a great club like Balmain Dies , I hope this does not impact Wests Tigers at all but for me I am a Wests Tigers supporter from the Balmain side and life goes on , and yes I'm very sad by this and I will get over it but I still,have a club to support , I was very vocal about our merger and did not like it as I loved the Balmain Tigers from age 6 and I'm 54 , long live the black and gold and go hard the White Black and Gold Wests Tigers , Time for bed to sleep,on this sad news

Telltails
Member
Member
Posts: 2888
Joined: Fri 18 Apr, 2014 3:24 pm

Post by Telltails » Sat 27 Oct, 2018 12:07 am

Terrible news for those of us who began our Rugby League journey following Balmain. Miss my dad every day but grateful he is not here to witness this, cause it would have been a real tough day for him.

Byron Bay Fan
Member
Member
Posts: 4988
Joined: Sat 17 Oct, 2015 2:14 pm

Post by Byron Bay Fan » Sat 27 Oct, 2018 6:27 am

Also blame the casino for taking the cream of the gambling money that led to ultimately unwise decisions by maybe unprofessional managers to "compete". In hindsight maybe Balmain should have merged with the Magpies a lot earlier, as soon as the Casino opened or earlier, without doing the expansion ride.

In comparison if you look at Catholic Dooleys at Lidcombe, over decades they purchased every premises around them and now altogether 6 times bigger at least as now multi-storied as well. Well this settles the debate - rugby league is not played in Heaven.
Malcolm Knox: What has happened this week is a pity for the Tigers, a pity for Jason Taylor and a pity for Robbie Farah, who had achieved more than the Big Four put together but was somehow turned into collateral damage. (SMH 25-26 March, 2017)

User avatar
GNR4LIFE
Member
Member
Posts: 23103
Joined: Mon 28 Feb, 2011 5:57 pm

Post by GNR4LIFE » Sat 27 Oct, 2018 8:21 am

The whole thing is like watching a sick relative with no quality of life who you know deep down will never recover. Balmain should have been euthanised years ago, because deep down we all knew what the end result was going to be,

Needaname
Member
Member
Posts: 1069
Joined: Sun 24 Apr, 2016 1:02 pm

Post by Needaname » Sat 27 Oct, 2018 8:52 am

Byron Bay Fan wrote:
Sat 27 Oct, 2018 6:27 am
Also blame the casino for taking the cream of the gambling money that led to ultimately unwise decisions by maybe unprofessional managers to "compete". In hindsight maybe Balmain should have merged with the Magpies a lot earlier, as soon as the Casino opened or earlier, without doing the expansion ride.

In comparison if you look at Catholic Dooleys at Lidcombe, over decades they purchased every premises around them and now altogether 6 times bigger at least as now multi-storied as well. Well this settles the debate - rugby league is not played in Heaven.
Along with the pokies tax and the change to the smoking laws within premises. These two things impacted little clubs greatly.
Look at the Tigers markets club.
The Sydney markets club was a vibrant little club. It sponsored our football team at the time and the restaurant was packed every night. They had to reduce the amount of pokies that could have on the premise and the smoking laws meant they had to provide an external area for people to continue their night at, a renovation to ensure that was near on impossible, it meant all the smokers had to stand out on the balcony.
Balmain went through exactly the same thing. My mate and I was at Tigers one weekend night and the place was dead. We saw Benny Elias and said hi. He invited us to sit down with him and a manager of the club. They expressed the impact of the pokies tax along with the introduction of the casino had started to kill the club and they needed to look at alternatives. Benny had big ideas but he always wanted to ensure the survival of the club. He saw expansion as the only way. It was around the time of the acquisitioning of the properties around the leagues club, the government promise and how it was supposed to make the club great.
At that time the Apia club down from Leichhardt Oval just got bought for 1 million dollars by funny enough my next door neighbor, the guy who owns l’montage. I asked why they didn’t Aquire the Appia club and they responded they had no money. They just spent it shoring up all the surrounding properties for a big vision that never came to light.

User avatar
jirskyr
Member
Member
Posts: 6196
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 12:00 pm

Post by jirskyr » Sat 27 Oct, 2018 9:14 am

Imagine if you wanted to renovate your house and the council told you you had to buy other properties around you to make it happen, then the government told you they'd be bringing a train station in around the corner from your house.

And you spent all your money suring-up local property and preparing large renovation plans, ensuring you had ample parking and thinking about the new property values once the train station was completed.

And then the government asked you to move out whilst they started work on the station, and you'd be back in a jiffy.

And then the government changed, the station is cancelled, nobody wants to approve your plans, you can't get back into your house and you own these properties you don't need.

If you were to remove any major club from it's primary premises for a decade, whilst also blocking plans for a refurbishment, you'd put any one of them out of business.

I'll never really know whether or not Tigers' renovation plans were excessive or unrealistic, but considering they approved those monstrous Balmain power station developments a decade earlier, I can't understand how the council suddenly became so concerned about traffic and building heights.

User avatar
innsaneink
Member
Member
Posts: 29771
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 9:49 pm
Location: ...ahead of you....

Post by innsaneink » Sat 27 Oct, 2018 9:32 am

Very sad... For the history of the game... And personally.
LO a co cup games were a hang out for me as a teen... And being involved with my son in the juniors for more than a decade... Some of the best days of my life.... Kept all his jumpers

Nucky Thompson
Member
Member
Posts: 1506
Joined: Sun 09 Oct, 2016 8:08 pm

Post by Nucky Thompson » Sat 27 Oct, 2018 9:35 am

jirskyr wrote:
Sat 27 Oct, 2018 9:14 am
Imagine if you wanted to renovate your house and the council told you you had to buy other properties around you to make it happen, then the government told you they'd be bringing a train station in around the corner from your house.

And you spent all your money suring-up local property and preparing large renovation plans, ensuring you had ample parking and thinking about the new property values once the train station was completed.

And then the government asked you to move out whilst they started work on the station, and you'd be back in a jiffy.

And then the government changed, the station is cancelled, nobody wants to approve your plans, you can't get back into your house and you own these properties you don't need.

If you were to remove any major club from it's primary premises for a decade, whilst also blocking plans for a refurbishment, you'd put any one of them out of business.

I'll never really know whether or not Tigers' renovation plans were excessive or unrealistic, but considering they approved those monstrous Balmain power station developments a decade earlier, I can't understand how the council suddenly became so concerned about traffic and building heights.
The site is cursed.

Nucky Thompson
Member
Member
Posts: 1506
Joined: Sun 09 Oct, 2016 8:08 pm

Post by Nucky Thompson » Sat 27 Oct, 2018 9:37 am


Post Reply
cron