Rugby League is dying in the bush

NRL and other Australian Rugby League Discussion
eyewonder

Re: Rugby League is dying in the bush

Post by eyewonder » Wed 18 Jul, 2018 6:09 pm

Country towns struggle. .Farmers,instead of employing 3-4 workers buy a machine to do the same amount of work. The word forfeit is now a commonly used in competitons as the numbers of players just aren't there,.Country towns need an industry to keep young people in the town.if there is no employment,they drift away.
Peoples lifestyles have changed.More shifwtorkers cant commit to regular involvement in sport and some kids are just as happy playing fortnite on their computers.
team sport is great for providing a sense of belonging.Team sports have to compete with all hours gyms and an individuals commitment is about the hour they spend in the gym.
my generation loved playing cricket or football and then dissecting the game for 5-6 hours at the pub.
somewhat doom and gloom,but that's how I see it.
go the tigers!

Spartan117

Post by Spartan117 » Wed 18 Jul, 2018 6:26 pm

Dying in the City to mate.

Kids are not really that interested

Islander kids are massive and there are few too little coaches that can actually coach

Red88 Tiger

Post by Red88 Tiger » Wed 18 Jul, 2018 6:58 pm

Imo under 16 should be free into any nrl match. Grow the fan base and it will filter into local league. Will take time though.
They could also do a series of ads to encourage people to get out and watch local

hobbo

Post by hobbo » Wed 18 Jul, 2018 7:05 pm

Red88 Tiger wrote:
Wed 18 Jul, 2018 6:58 pm
Imo under 16 should be free into any nrl match. Grow the fan base and it will filter into local league. Will take time though.
They could also do a series of ads to encourage people to get out and watch local
It is free for all registered kids to attend any nrl game ( exept finals )
We need mongrel ..
No more plodders !

Red88 Tiger

Post by Red88 Tiger » Wed 18 Jul, 2018 7:14 pm

My kids have no interest in playing league but would watch a game live

Chicken Faced Killa

Post by Chicken Faced Killa » Wed 18 Jul, 2018 7:15 pm

hobbo wrote:
Wed 18 Jul, 2018 7:05 pm
Red88 Tiger wrote:
They will even allow free tickets for finals on occasions when they think it is going to be a small crowd.

hobbo

Post by hobbo » Wed 18 Jul, 2018 7:29 pm

Chicken Faced Killa wrote:
Wed 18 Jul, 2018 7:15 pm
hobbo wrote:
Red88 Tiger wrote:
They will even allow free tickets for finals on occasions when they think it is going to be a small crowd.
The nrl are making it harder for kids to attend games though ..

My young bloke used to get a player card ( like an opal card )
That went out a few years ago .

Then I used to receive an email every Tuesday to redeem a free ticket
That went out this season .

Now I have to log onto nrl.com
And enter a load of codes to print out a ticket .

As for getting into finals games for free , we don’t bother :lol:
We need mongrel ..
No more plodders !

Chicken Faced Killa

Post by Chicken Faced Killa » Wed 18 Jul, 2018 8:10 pm

hobbo wrote:
Wed 18 Jul, 2018 7:29 pm
hobbo wrote:
Red88 Tiger wrote:

I get the free tickets as a ref and they have made it more of a hassle. I normally log on and get the next four games and give them to a mate who is coming with me. The old cards were great you could go to a few games each week.

hobbo

Post by hobbo » Wed 18 Jul, 2018 8:16 pm

Wed 18 Jul, 2018 8:10 pm
hobbo wrote:
hobbo wrote:

I get the free tickets as a ref and they have made it more of a hassle. I normally log on and get the next four games and give them to a mate who is coming with me. The old cards were great you could go to a few games each week.
You didn’t happen to send off a ranga
about 5 weeks ago did you ?
(Under 14’s)
:lol:
We need mongrel ..
No more plodders !

Chicken Faced Killa

Post by Chicken Faced Killa » Wed 18 Jul, 2018 8:43 pm

hobbo wrote:
Wed 18 Jul, 2018 8:16 pm
Wed 18 Jul, 2018 8:10 pm
hobbo wrote:

You didn’t happen to send off a ranga
about 5 weeks ago did you ?
(Under 14’s)
:lol:
Not me but I’m sure I could find out who it was for you ;)

Fade To Black

Post by Fade To Black » Thu 19 Jul, 2018 6:16 pm

Byron Bay Fan wrote:
Wed 18 Jul, 2018 7:37 am
I hope has not being previously posted here
-----------------------------------------------

https://www.theherald.com.au/story/5003 ... -the-bush/

OPINION: Brian Burke writes on the demise of rugby league in the bush

DIFFERENT TIMES: Brian Burke with a Country jumper he wore against Queensland at Newcastle before 25,000 fans. Picture: Max Mason-Hubers.

DIFFERENT TIMES: Brian Burke with a Country jumper he wore against Queensland at Newcastle before 25,000 fans. Picture: Max Mason-Hubers.

Former NSW league champion Brian Burke contacted the Fairfax Media to talk about his fears for the health of rugby league. He says it is dying, and is so worried he will write to NRL chief Todd Greenberg to express his concerns. Here are his thoughts.
Dear Todd,
Let me come straight to the point: Rugby League is dying in the bush and it's on your watch.

I'm not saying it's your fault in particular - this has been going on for a while and it's painful to see - but nonetheless you are the man in the hot seat right now.

And for that reason I am going to sit down later this week and write to you explaining the situation we have up here. More than that, I'm going to be begging you for help. And make no mistake, we need it.

Where to start?

I'm alarmed at the slow but undeniable demise of our game. It's dying in the bush and it's dead in schools. That’s your breeding ground for the future – and it’s had its last rites. And boy, doesn’t it show at the senior level.

On talkback radio this week it was said that rugby league would be dead in 20 years. On current evidence it’s hard to argue.

So I want to know what you plan to do?

Your direct opponents, soccer and AFL, have not only taken hold but are thriving.

It reminds me of the famous old quote from rugby league great Arthur Summons on a country tour in Queensland: ‘the trouble with rugby league is the governing body don’t realise the game is played south of Cronulla and north of the Hawkesbury River”.

We have the situation of falling crowds because just about every game can be seen on television, the cost of going a game is too high, Channel Nine footy ratings are on the slide … how much evidence do we need?

We have lost everything that made the game great. All tradition has gone.

We’ve gone from unlimited to four tackles then six tackles, five metres to 10 metres, three point to four point tries, one point field goals, no replacement to two replacements that had to have played an earlier game, to 12 replacements to eight replacements, one referee, two referees, 3pm start to 7.30pm start – no wonder we’re confused.

Let’s look at the ridiculous situation of Cameron Smith. He will go down in history as the greatest hooker to ever have played the game – and he has never hooked for a ball. So, how about we rename his position – let’s call it dummy-half.

Yet while all this is going on, in the AFL we know that next September the grand final will be played at 2.30pm on a Saturday and that the MCG will be chockers. We don't know who will be there, but the atmosphere will be incredible.

But what is going to happen with the league? A day game? A night game? Maybe a twilight game? Who knows, we've tried all three. And what uniforms will they wear? It seems every club has four jumpers.

Does St George really want to play in any jumper except white with a big red vee?

AFL and football - soccer to many of us - are making major inroads. Rugby Union too.

We need our kids to get back to basics, like playing in weight divisions. There’s nothing more demoralising for a kid than to come up against a monster who happens to be the same age.

We and the game need some serious help. So I ask again Todd, what are you going to do about it?

- BRIAN BURKE
The Maitland Mercury
Todd dont care........Todd's in Russia soaking up money from the NRL's slush fund.
He wouldn't give a toss if RL is totally dead in 10 years, by then he would have rotted enough money out of the game to retire a wealthy pig for the rest of his life. The NRL has had some cretins running it in the past but none hold a candle to slimy, greedy useless Toddy. He seems to know hardly anything about the NRL, let alone bush footy (you only have to see how he hides behind Peter Beattie's BS ramblings to see that, it is like a ventriloquist with a dummy on his knee). He needs to be outed ASAP in order for the game to move forward at all levels.
At least get a bloke who knows the game to run it.

Cheaper tickets, all kids free entry, more day games and mainly less contrived results and blatant bias towards certain clubs on and off the field would all help in getting the NRL back into good shape at least, bush footy would need a lot more TLC to get wings again. But bottom line is that Greenburg couldn't give a rat's either way.

Harvey

Post by Harvey » Thu 19 Jul, 2018 7:19 pm

The NRL is run by a bunch of numpties that have no background in, or feel for the game. They are just holding on looking for the next executive position