Sheens puts Raiders top job on the backburner

NRL and other Australian Rugby League Discussion
tigersrule4life

Sheens puts Raiders top job on the backburner

Post by tigersrule4life » Thu 20 Dec, 2012 8:04 am

Kangaroos coach Tim Sheens said he had been tempted to return to the Canberra Raiders for the next NRL season, before deciding to focus his efforts on winning back the rugby league World Cup with Australia.

Sheens, who coached the Raiders to their only three premiership titles, was back in Canberra on Wednesday to launch ticket sales for the first rugby league Test to be held in the national capital in April.

But the 62-year-old admitted a stay in Canberra could have been more permanent. Dumped by the Wests Tigers at the end of last season, Sheens was sounded out twice by Canberra coach David Furner about reuniting with the Raiders in a senior coaching role.

Furner played most of his career under Sheens at the Raiders and the pair work together with the Australian Test team.

Furner first approached Sheens informally during October's Test in Townsville, before approaching him again following the late and unexpected exit of assistant coach Andrew McFadden to the New Zealand Warriors. But Sheens said he wanted to maintain a neutrality with all NRL clubs next season, dedicating himself to Australia's World Cup campaign.

''I would have loved to have come back [to Canberra] and worked here at some stage but it was probably best it worked out this way,'' Sheens said. ''I'll play a neutral situation. I'm friends with David [Furner] as I am with a lot of the coaches.

''I'm the Australian coach and I play a straight bat in that area as far as clubs are concerned and states are concerned. I think you've got to do that.

''Being in that neutral position I'm in now I can check up on how people are going, I can do a lot of video footage and analysis of the Australian boys for not only the Test match in April but the World Cup obviously.''

Although Sheens had hoped for the Australian coaching role to be made full-time, the veteran mentor said he would be able to dedicate more resources to the job next year because he was not attached to an NRL club.

Sheens said he planned to be at more NRL games next season and would seek more regular interaction with national selectors, putting pressure on Australia's contenders to put their hands up for spots in the World Cup squad.

Sheens said the Anzac Test bet- ween Australia and New Zealand at Canberra Stadium on April 19 would be the best chance for players to stake their World Cup claims.

''Every player who wants to be part of the World Cup squad will be aiming to play in this Test and perform well, and that should make for a great contest,'' Sheens said.

''There's no doubt a good performance always sticks in the mind, not only of myself as coach, but also the selectors.

''We need to win the game and we need to play well. And I think that's the first step towards World Cup selection.

''At the moment I'm in a position to do a lot more given I've not got the distraction of a club commitment.

''I'm in a full-time situation without being in a full-time job, to be able to spend a lot of time on that, so I hope that's a benefit.''

''I can take a more holistic approach.''

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/leag ... z2FXAg9ZA6

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Thu 20 Dec, 2012 8:30 am

How do you take a MORE HOLISTIC approach to coaching the national side

Good luck getting spiritual with Gallan ,Thaiday,Scott and hopefully Woods and helping them find their inner self :brick: :roll

Thank God he's gone (sort of anyway)

DavidDuncan

Post by DavidDuncan » Thu 20 Dec, 2012 8:53 am

Sounds like he has cut ties with the tigers?? Been away for a couple of days so might have missed an announcement somewhere?

Has his contract situation been decided or will he be around next year in some capacity?
Remember the past. Live in the now. Plan for the future.

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Thu 20 Dec, 2012 9:00 am

happy tiger wrote:How do you take a MORE HOLISTIC approach to coaching the national side

Good luck getting spiritual with Gallan ,Thaiday,Scott and hopefully Woods and helping them find their inner self :brick: :roll

Thank God he's gone (sort of anyway)
Must be a hard slog picking a team that picks itself.

Keep the laughs coming Tim.
Madge's Maulers.

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

Tiger Watto

Post by Tiger Watto » Thu 20 Dec, 2012 10:13 am

The Australian Team isnt as easy to pick as it looks... Unfortunately, State allegiance still plays a big part of team selection and it can still be a big game of fish.

Once the team is finalised, the job would become somewhat easier, but if the coach doesnt agree with some selections, his job becomes harder considering he would have a game play in mind.

I'm glad this is gona become a Fulltime Gig... The Kangaroos winning is still important to the fans!
"Did someone buy you the internet hero play book for Christmas and you've only just started reading it?" - Nelson 21/04/2017

AmericanHistoryX

Post by AmericanHistoryX » Thu 20 Dec, 2012 11:08 am

i wonder if he'll he attend any Wests Tigers games. Surely he wont snub them.
Clouds of Dust, Buckets of Blood

"They overcame the impossible by doing the unthinkable"

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Thu 20 Dec, 2012 11:13 am

Hahaha poor bloke....its like having 12 weeks to do 5 minutes work
He's squeezing every last drop of juice from this lemon...LOL

tigersrule4life

Post by tigersrule4life » Thu 20 Dec, 2012 11:26 am

He will see how good we will be next year and go if only they were good with me as well lol.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Thu 20 Dec, 2012 11:51 am

Tiger Watto wrote:The Australian Team isnt as easy to pick as it looks... Unfortunately, State allegiance still plays a big part of team selection and it can still be a big game of fish.

Once the team is finalised, the job would become somewhat easier, but if the coach doesnt agree with some selections, his job becomes harder considering he would have a game play in mind.

I'm glad this is gona become a Fulltime Gig... The Kangaroos winning is still important to the fans!

Impossible to pick Watto

Here goes
1-7 Qld SOO backline
8 Scott
9 Cam Smith
10 Tamou
11 Lewis
12 Thaiday
13 Gallen
14 Farah
15 Woods
16 Watmough
17 Myles

All of 2 minutes and 28 seconds Watto :roll Full time job Sheens You are so full of BS

cusschops

Post by cusschops » Thu 20 Dec, 2012 12:46 pm

happy tiger wrote:
Tiger Watto wrote:The Australian Team isnt as easy to pick as it looks... Unfortunately, State allegiance still plays a big part of team selection and it can still be a big game of fish.

Impossible to pick Watto

Here goes
1-7 Qld SOO backline
8 Scott
9 Cam Smith
10 Tamou
11 Lewis
12 Thaiday
13 Gallen
14 Farah
15 Woods
16 Watmough
17 Myles

All of 2 minutes and 28 seconds Watto Full time job Sheens You are so full of BS
QLD 1-7 I think your full of BS

Posted using RoarFEED 2012

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Thu 20 Dec, 2012 12:56 pm

cusschops wrote:
happy tiger wrote:

Impossible to pick Watto

Here goes
1-7 Qld SOO backline
8 Scott
9 Cam Smith
10 Tamou
11 Lewis
12 Thaiday
13 Gallen
14 Farah
15 Woods
16 Watmough
17 Myles

All of 2 minutes and 28 seconds Watto Full time job Sheens You are so full of BS

Try this on for size
Slater
Yow Yeh
Hodges
Inglis
Boyd
Thurston
Cronk

And you plan to stick a NSWmen where ?? Stop dreaming Cusschop

cusschops

Post by cusschops » Thu 20 Dec, 2012 7:41 pm

happy tiger wrote:
cusschops wrote:
happy tiger wrote:

Impossible to pick Watto

Here goes
1-7 Qld SOO backline
8 Scott
9 Cam Smith
10 Tamou
11 Lewis
12 Thaiday
13 Gallen
14 Farah
15 Woods
16 Watmough
17 Myles

Try this on for size
Slater
Yow Yeh
Hodges
Inglis
Boyd
Thurston
Cronk

And you plan to stick a NSWmen where ?? Stop dreaming Cusschop
Hodges is a myth and won't be there. Try josh Morris.
Darius Boyd would be lucky with the form he showed last year. Try Josh Morris.
These are just a start.
Yes, as I said, full of BS

cktiger

Post by cktiger » Thu 20 Dec, 2012 7:48 pm

Hodges - no thanks, Boyd - no thanks, Yow Yeh - are you kidding?

Tiger Watto

Post by Tiger Watto » Thu 20 Dec, 2012 8:45 pm

There is alot of good reports coming out about Yow Yeh, but I cant see him getting his speed back...

A break like that is usually a career killer!
"Did someone buy you the internet hero play book for Christmas and you've only just started reading it?" - Nelson 21/04/2017

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Thu 20 Dec, 2012 9:04 pm

Get back on topic!@!!!