Your most unpopular opinion about league

NRL and other Australian Rugby League Discussion
Sataris

Re: Your most unpopular opinion about league

Post by Sataris » Wed 17 Apr, 2013 5:07 pm

I'll add a few more

The draw, and not playing each team twice is a massive joke. and following from that

any playoff/semi-final system rewards mediocrity and it should be first past the post.

Minor premiers should be the premiers, after 26+ rounds it's pretty clear who the best team in the league is.
cunno wrote:Ennis is the koala of the NRL.
Home of the Sataris

steve-o

Post by steve-o » Wed 17 Apr, 2013 6:16 pm

The notion of "a bit of mongrel" makes an origin player eg Ennius and j Reynolds
Year of last finals appearance:
2018 - Storm, Roosters, Rabbitohs, Sharks, Panthers, Broncos, Dragons, Warriors
2017 - Eels, Sea Eagles, Cowboys
2016 - Raiders, Bulldogs, Titans
2013 - Knights
2011 - Tigers

westTAHger

Post by westTAHger » Wed 17 Apr, 2013 6:38 pm

when storm were caught for rorting the salary cap;
the NRL should have stepped in, shown some guts/ balls and sent Cronk, Smith, and Slater each to a different team.
Bellamy should have been told to coach the team who finished last the previous season.
If they did not comply, then their contract be terminated immediately, and not allowed to play NRL for a indefinite period.
Basil, our rescue dog, is wondering when wests tigers will win 25 - 18 :D

kh_canada

Post by kh_canada » Wed 17 Apr, 2013 9:59 pm

westTAHger wrote:when storm were caught for rorting the salary cap;
the NRL should have stepped in, shown some guts/ balls and sent Cronk, Smith, and Slater each to a different team.
Bellamy should have been told to coach the team who finished last the previous season.
If they did not comply, then their contract be terminated immediately, and not allowed to play NRL for a indefinite period.
That is probably a little harsh on the players and Bellamy. Basically I think the next year(s) Melbourne should have had a reduced cap.
The Huth... the Huth... the Huth is on fire

tig_prmz

Post by tig_prmz » Wed 17 Apr, 2013 10:16 pm

regarding all the storm bs, there really is a lot of would've, should've, could've.. there are theories left right and centre about how top players and coaches knew about it. they knew they were signing two contracts etc.

the nrl imo has let this go on the back burner coz of the quality of the roster.

dont think anything is gonna happen from it.. the media is shying away to confront this issue as well.
My Round 1 Team 2018

1. lolo 2. noffa 3. suli 4. milne 5. fonua
6. reynolds 7. brooks
8. packer 9. ET 10. Twal
11. McQuen 12. Lawrence 13. Eiso
14. Matulino 15. McIllwrick 16. Sue 17. Aloiai
18. Marsters 19. Benji 20. Grant 21. K Naiqama
Next: Liddle, MCK, Felise, MWZ, Thompson, Rochow, Gamble

steve-o

Post by steve-o » Wed 17 Apr, 2013 10:25 pm

Salary cap cheats have not been punished nearly enough... Dogs and Melbourne both won a company only 2 years after being caught. How is that fair? The teams best 4 players should be told to play elsewhere for 5 years
2013 - Knights
2011 - Tigers

Tiger Watto

Post by Tiger Watto » Thu 18 Apr, 2013 6:49 am

Where should the NRL have sent Robbie when the Wests Tigers knowingly cheated the cap? :shock:
"Did someone buy you the internet hero play book for Christmas and you've only just started reading it?" - Nelson 21/04/2017

steve-o

Post by steve-o » Thu 18 Apr, 2013 10:20 am

I'm not talking about indescretions of that level. I'm talking about the 'systematic' ones like storm and dogs
2013 - Knights
2011 - Tigers

smeghead
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by smeghead » Thu 18 Apr, 2013 10:43 am

While Paul Gallen is a 100% player he believes his own hype and believes he needs to be involved in every play and this has cost his side at both Club & Origin level

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Thu 18 Apr, 2013 11:31 am

underdog wrote:oooh, love it! great idea for a thread!

* Tigers can still win the comp this year.

* Darren Lockyer was overrated.

* As good a player he is, I don't like Robbie Farah. He has been grumpy and short the couple of times ive met him.

All my own work above. :D
I wouldn't go as far to say i don't like him but you can tell he wouldn't be the most friendly guy to approach in public. Wouldn't put it past him to tell someone to f off if he was in a bad enough mood

tigergirlz

Post by tigergirlz » Thu 18 Apr, 2013 3:42 pm

I think you might be right about Robbie, but he is still my favourite Tiger

Posted using RoarFEED 2013

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Thu 18 Apr, 2013 4:01 pm

* As good a player he is, I don't like Robbie Farah. He has been grumpy and short the couple of times ive met him.

The reason that Robbie is cranky and short with you is that you don't pick him to score many tries in your pick the score thread and you don't give him the MOTM awards either He knows :twisted:

You've only got yourself to blame ;)

Fraze23

Post by Fraze23 » Thu 18 Apr, 2013 4:45 pm

I agree. Living in Queensland at the moment you nearly get your head knocked off for saying it. My justification is this.
If they were to pick the greatest ever Queensland team tomorrow:
Greatest Queensland fullback is easily Slater.
Greatest Queensland 5/8 is Wally Lewis.

If he doesn't make the greatest Queensland line up how can he be considered an Immortal?

LaT

Post by LaT » Thu 18 Apr, 2013 5:45 pm

Wally Lewis was overrated. Greatest 5-8th? Because he chimed in and won some games towards the back of some Origin matches?

Highlights packages has swayed too many people.
TigPies till I die!

I say, I say I resemble that remark!

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Thu 18 Apr, 2013 6:07 pm

Sataris wrote:I'll add a few more

The draw, and not playing each team twice is a massive joke. and following from that

any playoff/semi-final system rewards mediocrity and it should be first past the post.

Minor premiers should be the premiers, after 26+ rounds it's pretty clear who the best team in the league is.
I'd consider sacrificing the finals system for a "first past the post" system if every team played each other twice, once at home, once away. SOO and rep honours should be moved to post season in that event too, you'd then have a whole season to assess players instead of flashes of brilliance over the first ten rounds.

The benefit of the FPP system is that EVERY game is important, even for the top tabled sides.
#penaltyTigers

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

pHyR3

Post by pHyR3 » Thu 18 Apr, 2013 6:15 pm

Well yeah, but that's just boring having FPP. It'll never happen and nor should it. the last couple of rounds will be boring as
''Everybody talks about their four brothers, we have 17 here so we don't really care about them."

Frank the tank

Post by Frank the tank » Thu 18 Apr, 2013 7:22 pm

LaT wrote:Wally Lewis was overrated. Greatest 5-8th? Because he chimed in and won some games towards the back of some Origin matches?

Highlights packages has swayed too many people.
Brett Kenny was a much better 5/8 than wally.
I'm not a complete idiot.............there are some pieces missing!

Golden_Boots

Post by Golden_Boots » Thu 18 Apr, 2013 7:24 pm

NQ Cowboys have been a joke since they entered the comp & attract zero interest to away games despite having a couple of the more exciting players in the comp. Looks nice on a map to have a team up there but they are unnecessary and should never have been approved by the ARL. If CEO for a day i would kick them out or relocate them to Brisbane. The junior talent will still have a pathway and easily be picked up by other clubs.

Souths- they have come back strong thanks to Crowe but while they were kicked out it didn't affect leagues popularity whatsoever. In fact the home and away comp they ran while they were absent was one of the better standard comps Ive seen (for the NRL era anyway)
Last edited by Golden_Boots on Thu 18 Apr, 2013 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.