We need mongrel ..
No more plodders !

Demps

Post by Demps » Mon 09 Jul, 2018 11:47 am

Tiger Steve wrote:
Mon 09 Jul, 2018 11:42 am
Demps wrote:
Mon 09 Jul, 2018 8:45 am
I had lengthy discussions with a talented under 20s Newcastle knights player, current QLD cup player I believe.... PM if you want to know the name...

He showed me the opposition team breakdown sheet... It was interesting. Had a detailed break down on each player and their weaknesses and what they're known to do /favour. This was for a NSW cup game.

Anyway, this guy was a similar build and style player to Alex mckinnon who was playing well at the time (pre injury)...

I asked if he Thought he'd ever play first grade? He replied, "that is the dream"... But then went onto explain its all politics and very clique orientated... Not what u know but who u know... That's why other not as good players get the push over the others.... Nrl is like a cult in that regard.

Well at least in a small town like Newcastle.
Maybe referring to Fitzgibbon being the son of IMB (major sponsor) CEO
Prime example eh?
#Unbeatable

"I never lie because I don't fear anyone. You only lie when you're afraid" - John Gotti

Wests Tigers Forum's most brilliant mind.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Mon 09 Jul, 2018 1:00 pm

Demps wrote:
I had lengthy discussions with a talented under 20s Newcastle knights player, current QLD cup player I believe.... PM if you want to know the name...

He showed me the opposition team breakdown sheet... It was interesting. Had a detailed break down on each player and their weaknesses and what they're known to do /favour. This was for a NSW cup game.

Anyway, this guy was a similar build and style player to Alex mckinnon who was playing well at the time (pre injury)...

I asked if he Thought he'd ever play first grade? He replied, "that is the dream"... But then went onto explain its all politics and very clique orientated... Not what u know but who u know... That's why other not as good players get the push over the others.... Nrl is like a cult in that regard.

Politics in rugby league begins in nappy brigade u/6s

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Mon 09 Jul, 2018 1:05 pm

jirskyr wrote:
Mon 09 Jul, 2018 10:19 am
Milky wrote:
Sun 08 Jul, 2018 7:10 pm
In a nation of 24 million in Australia, there isn’t 272 elite rugby league players.

When you think of it, it should be gun players all round, its not that many players...
Well, you gotta put some thought into this.

Population of Australia is 24 million. But rugby league really has minimal reach anywhere but QLD, NSW and ACT (7.5 + 4.7 + 0.4) = 12.6 million. Of those 12.6 million, half are women and 68% are 25 years or older (if you aren't playing NRL by the age of 25 you probably aren't going to have a career in it).

That leaves 2 million kids you could reach to become elite rugby league footballers. In 2008 NRL claimed junior rugby league participation of 269,377 kids Australia-wide, in all schools-level competition. NRL also claims a national player base of over 1M people, but this now includes touch football.

So of 2 million kids we know about 10% participate in rugby league at some kind of school level, but not necessarily weekend sport (could be knock-out type comps). Compare this with soccer, where 50% of kids actively involved in sport play the round-ball game (30% basketball and 25% cricket); according to Australian Sports Camps.

So you have about 250K kids playing footy, of which about half can be expected to also play soccer and a quarter also play cricket.

So perhaps 100-125K kids focused on rugby league.

Now of those, how many can reasonably be expected to have the talent to play any kind of club footy, let alone NRL? 5%? Down to 5K kids who might get selected in rep/club teams, and of those we know about 5% go on to make it in the NRL, so 5% of 5,000 = 250.

There's your number.

If we were talking a truly national game, you could expect to have around double the elite players, so either twice as many teams, or twice as much competition for the same number of teams.

But 24M people playing league, union, soccer, cricket, basketball, AFL, swimming, gymnastics, athletics, netball, cycling, surfing etc. etc. we just don't have the cattle.

There are 1.32B Indians to choose from in cricket and their teams are no better than ours. There are 1.37B Chinese and they can't even make the football world cup.
And my son was unlucky enough to have to play a team for 10 years that produced almost 3 of these players

Fade To Black

Post by Fade To Black » Sun 22 Jul, 2018 2:47 pm

Geo. wrote:
Mon 09 Jul, 2018 10:41 am
Happy would still be taking off his socks..
Having 6 toes is great for keeping track of the tackle count though.

clifferdSH

Post by clifferdSH » Thu 26 Jul, 2018 11:32 am

Rorters will find a way to fit all 272 players under their cap

PrattenParkMagpie

Post by PrattenParkMagpie » Thu 26 Jul, 2018 12:08 pm

clifferdSH wrote:
Thu 26 Jul, 2018 11:32 am
And still have an easy million left over.
Bring back Dr Pepper and Hazelnut Rolls

clifferdSH

Post by clifferdSH » Thu 26 Jul, 2018 12:25 pm

PrattenParkMagpie wrote:
Thu 26 Jul, 2018 12:08 pm
clifferdSH wrote:
Thu 26 Jul, 2018 11:32 am
And still have an easy million left over.
Only a million? Pff they want Ronaldo & Federer and Usain Bolt too

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Thu 26 Jul, 2018 1:20 pm

jirskyr wrote:
Mon 09 Jul, 2018 10:19 am
Milky wrote:
Sun 08 Jul, 2018 7:10 pm
In a nation of 24 million in Australia, there isn’t 272 elite rugby league players.

When you think of it, it should be gun players all round, its not that many players...
Well, you gotta put some thought into this.

Population of Australia is 24 million. But rugby league really has minimal reach anywhere but QLD, NSW and ACT (7.5 + 4.7 + 0.4) = 12.6 million. Of those 12.6 million, half are women and 68% are 25 years or older (if you aren't playing NRL by the age of 25 you probably aren't going to have a career in it).

That leaves 2 million kids you could reach to become elite rugby league footballers. In 2008 NRL claimed junior rugby league participation of 269,377 kids Australia-wide, in all schools-level competition. NRL also claims a national player base of over 1M people, but this now includes touch football.

So of 2 million kids we know about 10% participate in rugby league at some kind of school level, but not necessarily weekend sport (could be knock-out type comps). Compare this with soccer, where 50% of kids actively involved in sport play the round-ball game (30% basketball and 25% cricket); according to Australian Sports Camps.

So you have about 250K kids playing footy, of which about half can be expected to also play soccer and a quarter also play cricket.

So perhaps 100-125K kids focused on rugby league.

Now of those, how many can reasonably be expected to have the talent to play any kind of club footy, let alone NRL? 5%? Down to 5K kids who might get selected in rep/club teams, and of those we know about 5% go on to make it in the NRL, so 5% of 5,000 = 250.

There's your number.

If we were talking a truly national game, you could expect to have around double the elite players, so either twice as many teams, or twice as much competition for the same number of teams.

But 24M people playing league, union, soccer, cricket, basketball, AFL, swimming, gymnastics, athletics, netball, cycling, surfing etc. etc. we just don't have the cattle.

There are 1.32B Indians to choose from in cricket and their teams are no better than ours. There are 1.37B Chinese and they can't even make the football world cup.
You mentioned about the massive populations of China and India

If you don't have the facilities , coaching and a way to bring all the talent through or even be seen the population advantages means nothing

How many of these super talented young kids don't even get seen by the right judges of talent solely through the numbers alone

Clearyweareone

Post by Clearyweareone » Thu 26 Jul, 2018 2:17 pm

I love rugby league to watch but no way would my son be able to play it.

Soccer is a boring game to watch but great for players of all shapes and sizes to play.

Rugby League and AFL will never complete with soccer at junior level.

My son is built like a stick but is able to play A grade under 9's soccer.

Unless junior rugby league changes to weight rather than age then you may see more parents receptive to allowing their children to play.

Swordy

Post by Swordy » Thu 26 Jul, 2018 3:55 pm

Demps wrote:

And Penrith where I was late 80s. Very much a boys club of being in the clique. I'm sure it's the same everywhere. There was certainly players back then, far less talented than some that got the push.
Sunshine Coast resident.
Tigers fan since birth in 1969.
Fond memories of Leichhardt Oval every home game as a kid with my Dad!

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Thu 26 Jul, 2018 4:04 pm

272 players , Hobbo will tell you 271 are plodders

swag tiger

Post by swag tiger » Thu 26 Jul, 2018 4:14 pm

happy tiger wrote:
Thu 26 Jul, 2018 4:04 pm
And you would tell us the remaining 1 is. :D
I have family in Balmain and the Western suburbs so i guess that makes me a Balmain Westie

Winner of FIFA world cup LMS 2018 Winner of WTF Draft 2

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Thu 26 Jul, 2018 4:17 pm

swag tiger wrote:
Thu 26 Jul, 2018 4:14 pm
happy tiger wrote:
MCK of course

His mancrush

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Thu 26 Jul, 2018 4:20 pm

Clearyweareone wrote:
Thu 26 Jul, 2018 2:17 pm

Soccer is a boring game to watch but great for players of all shapes and sizes to play.

Unless junior rugby league changes to weight rather than age then you may see more parents receptive to allowing their children to play.
Is it his decision or do you decide for him?
You may be surprised - if he is keen he might not struggle despite being on the light side.
Kids that are pushed into doing something theyre not keen on (and I saw many while my son was playing) probably wont enjoy it or cope.
You never know.

swag tiger

Post by swag tiger » Thu 26 Jul, 2018 4:22 pm

happy tiger wrote:
Thu 26 Jul, 2018 4:17 pm
swag tiger wrote:
Thu 26 Jul, 2018 4:14 pm
happy tiger wrote:
MCK of course

His mancrush
Damn Tacky has competition. :lol:
I have family in Balmain and the Western suburbs so i guess that makes me a Balmain Westie

Winner of FIFA world cup LMS 2018 Winner of WTF Draft 2

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Thu 26 Jul, 2018 4:55 pm

innsaneink wrote:
Thu 26 Jul, 2018 4:20 pm
Clearyweareone wrote:
Thu 26 Jul, 2018 2:17 pm

Is it his decision or do you decide for him?
You may be surprised - if he is keen he might not struggle despite being on the light side.
Kids that are pushed into doing something theyre not keen on (and I saw many while my son was playing) probably wont enjoy it or cope.
You never know.
I will totally back Ink up on this one

Smallest young man on my son's team is the best , gutsiest defender in our side , round their ankles all day like a rabid ferret

And he has been the smallest all the way through , plays 9

If he is keen to have a go let him do it , maybe start him playing touch first , help with the fundamentals of the game

But then again if he is a real good soccer player , stick to it , we need some superstars to lead us to our first World Cup title in 2030

GoldXR50Leroy

Post by GoldXR50Leroy » Thu 26 Jul, 2018 7:50 pm

I thought 272 may have been the latest player to debut for the club!.