happy tiger

Matt Cecchin to retire

Post by happy tiger » Fri 03 Aug, 2018 8:53 am

Very sad if true , good ref in my opinion

The death threats are ridiculous

http://www.msn.com/en-au/sport/rugby-le ... cid=ASUDHP

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Fri 03 Aug, 2018 8:57 am

Probably came from posters on here the way some carry on.

TrueTiger

Post by TrueTiger » Fri 03 Aug, 2018 9:07 am

What a shame that someone has to retire from the career he has as an NRL ref because of death threats against him...people who do that must be very shallow or have lost money on games...don't blame the ref for an error,they are human as we are passionate about our club and the game itself....after all it is a game,we the WTs have had the rough end of the pineapple a few times and have been disgruntled by certain decisions,however threatening a mans family as well is the lowest thing anyone can do over a game...

Being angry about a decision is one thing threatening women and kids is an entirely different situation that I simply despise....
You may see me struggle...but you will never see me quit... :D

hobbo

Post by hobbo » Fri 03 Aug, 2018 9:09 am

That’s pretty sad tbh ..

But when betting on games is allowed these type of situations will always occur .
We need mongrel ..
No more plodders !

tsjonathan

Post by tsjonathan » Fri 03 Aug, 2018 9:19 am

His greatest call was in the 2005 Grand Final when he was a touchy and called an infringement on Halatau that prevented a cowboys try in the first half which arrested the cows momentum.

clifferdSH

Post by clifferdSH » Fri 03 Aug, 2018 9:21 am

Pretty low act. Checchin is one of the better refs too

hobbo

Post by hobbo » Fri 03 Aug, 2018 9:28 am

I blame Geo ..,
Each week he’s :bash: the refs !
We need mongrel ..
No more plodders !

Byron Bay Fan

Post by Byron Bay Fan » Fri 03 Aug, 2018 9:38 am

I think the Rabbitohs hate him the most
Malcolm Knox: What has happened this week is a pity for the Tigers, a pity for Jason Taylor and a pity for Robbie Farah, who had achieved more than the Big Four put together but was somehow turned into collateral damage. (SMH 25-26 March, 2017)

Kerry Cogger

Post by Kerry Cogger » Fri 03 Aug, 2018 9:43 am

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Fri 03 Aug, 2018 8:57 am

Or just maybe he quit for other reasons.Abuse of refs has always happened in the 110 year history of the NRL and always will.Its nothing new is it?

supercoach

Post by supercoach » Fri 03 Aug, 2018 9:50 am

happy tiger wrote:
Fri 03 Aug, 2018 8:53 am
Very sad if true , good ref in my opinion

The death threats are ridiculous

http://www.msn.com/en-au/sport/rugby-le ... cid=ASUDHP

Without doubt the best going around at present by some distance. I am as guilty as most when my passion gets the better of me and I start bagging refs, but we will not have a game if we Force these refs to quit

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Fri 03 Aug, 2018 9:58 am

Kerry Cogger wrote:
Fri 03 Aug, 2018 9:43 am
GNR4LIFE wrote:

Or just maybe he quit for other reasons.Abuse of refs has always happened in the 110 year history of the NRL and always will.Its nothing new is it?
Those who protest the loudest.

jadtiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by jadtiger » Fri 03 Aug, 2018 10:01 am

Referees in all sports have always attracted criticism and always will it is part of the job.I thought he was one of the better refs in the game.Death threats to him and his family are quite disgraceful.
It is my belief that the close ties between betting agencies and the NRL actually make the situation worse for refs because of the perception that potentialy comes from the link.
I wish him well for the future

kodamapixel

Post by kodamapixel » Fri 03 Aug, 2018 10:12 am

Kerry Cogger wrote:
Social media and the internet generally has made it something quite different to shouting from the sidelines. Getting access to someone via Twitter or their mobile number gives some people the belief they can say what they want with relative anonymity. How anyone can think that it's okay to make death threats to someone they disagree with is beyond me.

There was a journalist on Twitter in the last couple of days receiving death threats because they were pro-plastic bag ban. No one should have to fear their life (or that of their families) because they're in a job where they make decisions or have opinions that some people will disagree with.

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Fri 03 Aug, 2018 10:14 am

hobbo wrote:
Fri 03 Aug, 2018 9:28 am
I blame Geo ..,
Each week he’s :bash: the refs !
Yeah..
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..

Spartan117

Post by Spartan117 » Fri 03 Aug, 2018 10:16 am

A mate of mine from Work up until last year was a First Grade Touch. He has done grand finals, State of Origins etc really rated Chechin as a ref and a bloke.

He tells of nepotism and politics in the NRL ranks thats really poisonous.

Being a REF is hard , We wouldnt have a game without em.

Silentio

Post by Silentio » Fri 03 Aug, 2018 10:19 am

Sad situation. The NRL has a lot to answer for. They have been way too reactive and have made the game increasingly complex.

As a result, refs are determining the outcome of games too often over trivial technicalities.

When there's big money on the line, this is no surprise.

foreveratiger

Post by foreveratiger » Fri 03 Aug, 2018 10:32 am

As a Referee you know what your getting yourself into . The one thing that was pleasing was he never got abused about his Sexuality from players or fans in the crowd.

At the heat of the moment some will react the way they do with that World Cup Final decision he made , but making Death threats is absolutely disgusting and no doubt that would of played on his mind .
The NRL has a lot to answer for the way they've told Ref's to blow the pea out of the whistle for petty infringements and 2 Ref's etc.... The game has really become a joke and that germ Greenberg is at the centre of all the problems in the game .

Maybe this Arena isn't for Cecchin , Ref's get abused all the time when going up the tunnel Right or Wrong ? is for every individual to decide.....but paid Member's have a right to voice there opinion's , you just have to be mindful what you say not being to Personal or insulting as there is kids watching the game .

I feel for Cechin his had to overcome so many hurdles by the sounds of it and hope his in a good head space .

All the best Cecchin .
It depends who you talk to on this Forum, if you are Optimistic? it's because your delusional and need a reality check. If you are Pessimistic? Your accused of being a negative Nancy and to go and follow another Club.

Kerry Cogger

Post by Kerry Cogger » Fri 03 Aug, 2018 11:33 am

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Fri 03 Aug, 2018 9:58 am
Kerry Cogger wrote:
GNR4LIFE wrote:

Those who protest the loudest.

I told you in another thread things at the NRL was gonna change.You laughed in my face.