Cronulla Sharks being investigated over possible salary cap breaches

NRL and other Australian Rugby League Discussion
WT2K

Cronulla Sharks being investigated over possible salary cap breaches

Post by WT2K » Tue 28 Aug, 2018 7:33 pm

THE Cronulla Sharks’ premiership campaign has been rocked by revelations the NRL’s integrity unit is investigating the club for potential salary cap breaches on the eve of the finals series.

Integrity unit forensic investigators arrived at Sharks Leagues club three months ago after the club’s new chief executive Barry Russell conducted an internal review and found suspicious payments dating back to 2015. He reported it to the NRL.

The Daily Telegraph understands the amount involved is around the $250,000 mark but could go higher once thousands of documents have been examined.

Although one Sharks official admitted: “Now they’ve taken our server, we don’t know what they’ll find.”
https://coupler.foxsports.com.au/api/v1 ... ssion=true
No more plodders!
:sign:

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Tue 28 Aug, 2018 7:34 pm

Already discussed

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Tue 28 Aug, 2018 7:55 pm

Well NRL you have about 13 days to find us a sizable minefield please .............

Nucky Thompson

Post by Nucky Thompson » Tue 28 Aug, 2018 9:06 pm

Nrl continues to be a joke. Bring back gallop

TheDaBoss

Post by TheDaBoss » Wed 29 Aug, 2018 9:23 am

Well all we need know is for them to waste more of their salary cap so they get dropped out of the top 8 lol
:sign: + :deadhorse: = Ivan in a nutshell

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Fri 31 Aug, 2018 3:26 pm

Cant find the other thread.....I see theyre claiming Heighno is the player in question

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Fri 31 Aug, 2018 3:42 pm

innsaneink wrote:
Fri 31 Aug, 2018 3:26 pm
Cant find the other thread.....I see theyre claiming Heighno is the player in question
He'd have been on bugger all compared to some others I would have thought.
Help me... I broke apart my insides,
Help me... I've got no soul to sell;
Help me... The only thing that works for me,
Help me get away from myself...

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Tue 27 Nov, 2018 1:56 pm

The Sharks are believed to be circling Shane Flanagan, who remains off-contract beyond 2019
SHARKS
James Hooper
November 27, 2018 11:06am
JAMES HOOPER@jimmyhooper
Source: FOX SPORTS

There is increasing speculation about the future of premiership-winning Cronulla Sharks coach Shane Flanagan as the NRL’s salary cap investigation continues.

Could Flanagan be on borrowed time in the Shire? Surely not after becoming the first coach to finally smash Cronulla’s 50-year premiership drought two years ago.

Think again.

When all of the salary cap investigation is shaken out there is a very real chance the Sharks may have no alternative than to go in a different coaching direction.

As brutal as it sounds there is a view, given all the detail the NRL has uncovered in relation to payments being made outside of the salary cap, there may be no other choice.

Why else have Cronulla held off giving Flanagan a new deal?

He’s a premiership-winning coach who has been one of the cornerstones of the Cronulla Sharks for the past decade?

Surely he should be re-signed to a long-term deal by now.

Could it be as simple as Flanagan is going to have a lot of explaining to do when he gets interviewed by the NRL?

There is talk the Sharks have been discreetly exploring alternative coaching options for the past couple of months.

And we’re not talking about for 2020 when Flanagan’s contract finishes, we’re talking about for next season.

Current assistant coach John Morris has also been discussed as being given a shot in a caretaker role for 12 months.

The one saving grace for the Sharks is the fact CEO Barry Russell initially self-reported what was a relatively minor indiscretion around an undeclared third-party agreement.

Since then it’s believed the NRL has uncovered a wealth of information which looks likely to make the Sharks the fifth club since 2002 to be heavily sanctioned for breaking salary cap rules.

By self-reporting Russell will ultimately minimise whatever sanctions are imposed.

The 2016 premiership is not believed to be under threat. But a fine of anywhere up to $1 million would seriously hurt Cronulla.

They’re already in financial dire straits.

In the season just finished, the Sharks only spent 95 per cent of their salary cap due to cash flow problems.

It’s interesting to note Sharks board member Craig Airey recently resigned as a director at the club.

Significantly, Airey had loaned the club $1 million while he was on the board of directors.

Go back to August when Todd Greenberg confirmed the Sharks were under investigation.

The NRL boss made reference to salary cap fines not keeping pace with how frequently clubs were breaking the rules.

The drums are now beating. Things could be about to get ugly in the Shire.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... cz5rOqPsak
Wests Tigers don't need a Coach.. The playing group has taken over..
happy tiger wrote:
Thu 25 Oct, 2018 12:17 am
OK I was wrong
happy tiger wrote:
Thu 22 Nov, 2018 12:13 am
I know at times I'm not always the brightest light in the kitchen

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Tue 27 Nov, 2018 1:58 pm

but but Gal...Holmes left..

KICK EM OUT..along with Manly..
Wests Tigers don't need a Coach.. The playing group has taken over..
happy tiger wrote:
Thu 25 Oct, 2018 12:17 am
OK I was wrong
happy tiger wrote:
Thu 22 Nov, 2018 12:13 am
I know at times I'm not always the brightest light in the kitchen

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Tue 27 Nov, 2018 2:31 pm

Haha that would be hilarious.

Lose their coach, hopefully get fined and stripped of premiership.

Absolute germ of a club.

In all seriousness though, Flanagan probably hasn't resigned because he is probably fielding enquiries from other clubs. Parra, Dragons, Canterbury, Canberra would all probably be interested I'd wager.
Help me... I broke apart my insides,
Help me... I've got no soul to sell;
Help me... The only thing that works for me,
Help me get away from myself...

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

Cairnstigers

Post by Cairnstigers » Tue 27 Nov, 2018 2:32 pm

Any other club and Gal would be shouting out loud
"Strip them of their title"
You cheat you loose
What about a life ban Gal

The Sharks cheating is far worse than a player wishing to try his luck in NFL
The sharks dumped on every other team and supporter by cheating the cap
V Holmes hs just let the sharks down and it wasnt against the rules or didnt effect the outcome of a premiership

So what do you say about that big Gal
Where is your mouth at now

Nelson

Post by Nelson » Tue 27 Nov, 2018 2:58 pm

Cultured Bogan wrote:
Tue 27 Nov, 2018 2:31 pm
Haha that would be hilarious.

Lose their coach, hopefully get fined and stripped of premiership.

Absolute germ of a club.

In all seriousness though, Flanagan probably hasn't resigned because he is probably fielding enquiries from other clubs. Parra, Dragons, Canterbury, Canberra would all probably be interested I'd wager.
Yeah it would be unusual for a coach to be sanctioned over salary cap cheating, that's usually others in the club that go down over that. Still if he does get dragged into it the NRL really should ban him for 3+ years given it would've come so soon after his having served a 12 month ban for another form of systemic cheating...they need to get serious about discouraging cheating.

supercoach

Post by supercoach » Tue 27 Nov, 2018 3:12 pm

He will not starve, there will be plenty of interest,especially if it’s a package deal with his son.

Anyway the Sharks dodged a bullet with the drug scandal, so I hope the NRL come down real hard this time

The Patriot

Post by The Patriot » Tue 27 Nov, 2018 4:06 pm

Anyone happen to think Val Holmes walked out because one of those big third parties fell through with all the heat on the club.

Hopefully the Sharks get done properly, Couldnt happen to a nicer club.
Its an opinion!

Tiger Steve

Post by Tiger Steve » Tue 27 Nov, 2018 4:31 pm

The Patriot wrote:
Tue 27 Nov, 2018 4:06 pm
Anyone happen to think Val Holmes walked out because one of those big third parties fell through with all the heat on the club.

Almost agree. Easts would be a nicer club😜
“Peanuts! Get ya peanuts - in the shell or sugar coated!” Leichhardt memories.

Snake

Post by Snake » Tue 27 Nov, 2018 4:40 pm

Tiger Steve wrote:
Tue 27 Nov, 2018 4:31 pm
The Patriot wrote:

Almost agree. Easts would be a nicer club😜
IMO the Sharks will be the first Sydney team to go bust ... they seem totally reliant on that development next to there ground. As I mentioned previously once Shorten kills off the dwelling investment negative gearing the development will crash and so will the Sharks :righton:

Pawsandclaws

Post by Pawsandclaws » Tue 27 Nov, 2018 4:44 pm

The negative gearing changes proposed by Labor won't impact the purchase of new units by investors.

I believe it is pretty well known the Sharks aren't doing as well as predicted with this deal.

colmcd

Post by colmcd » Tue 27 Nov, 2018 5:27 pm

The Patriot wrote:

Ah, not really.

So Val Holmes probably has nice 3rd party deals lined up, had one fell through then yes he would be on a fair bit less money and signing with the Cows. Because lets face it:
The cows and sharks want him, along with most NRL clubs.
He can potentially get close to 1 million a season. If a deal falls, another club will have a 1 Million contract waiting.

His League options are around 1 mil.
His NFL options are far greater. Tom Brady "Currently playing under a two-year, $41 million contract he signed last March" Some arguing that he is underpaid, and I believe is the 12th highest paid Quarterback.

I don't believe third party deals falling through had anything to do with it. I believe he is looking for the Multi million dollar paycheck. I don't like Cronulla, but no team deserves this. I seriously hope WT learns from the Bulldogs and SBW, Sharks and Val along with all other premadonna's. When a player is going to bleed your team to find their paycheck... Let them GO.