Cronulla Sharks being investigated over possible salary cap breaches

NRL and other Australian Rugby League Discussion
Tarl
Member
Member
Posts: 131
Joined: Tue 20 Mar, 2018 1:21 pm

Re: Cronulla Sharks being investigated over possible salary cap breaches

Post by Tarl » Fri 14 Dec, 2018 3:39 pm

Fade To Black wrote:
Fri 14 Dec, 2018 2:41 pm
TheDaBoss wrote:
Fri 14 Dec, 2018 11:39 am
Cronulla Sharks in real danger of becoming the most hated NRL team
The real hate for Cronulla began when Ricky Stuart took control.

Manly fans will hate this but they are in danger of being overtaken by Cronulla as the most despised club in the NRL.


The Sharks were once regarded as a nuisance value club who routinely fell over come September, laughed at for their inability to win a comp while dining out on a sole Amco Cup victory in 1979.

In the 70s they were competitive and made two grand finals but didn’t win a thing – the ‘Jeans’ Cup aside – at a joint full of good blokes like Dane Sorensen, Greg Pierce, Rick Bourke and the incomparable Steve Rogers.

After nearly going under in the early 1980s, they stayed pretty much legless for the rest of the decade apart from a minor premiership win in 1988.

Nothing to hate here.

Into the 90s they started to make some noise and briefly threatened to break their premiership drought, but didn’t.

They were competitive but harmless in the eyes of opposition fans.

How could you hate The Peach? Or boo ET? Sledge Matty Rogers or Nathan Long? Tear strips off cute little Preston Campbell?

Even coach John Lang seemed the sort of bloke you’d pull up the Esky for at a backyard barbie.

The real hate for Cronulla began when Ricky Stuart took control of a team containing emerging villains Paul Gallen and Greg Bird.

Suddenly, rival fans had a coach and star players to hate in equal doses.
And Cronulla was capable of knocking over any team – your team – and leaving you battered and bruised in the process.

It was almost like the Sharks went out of their way to piss opposition fans off by corralling all the rugby league bad boys in the ensuing years.

Todd Carney, Andrew Fifita, Josh Dugan, Ben Barba, Mick Ennis, Blake Ferguson all rolled through the Shire.

Gal was still there and suddenly the Sharks were by now a consistent title threat – and a team opposing fans feared and, in turn, loathed.

The peptide scandal in 2014 upped the hate meter, the 2016 premiership triumph gave the pitchfork brigade more ammunition and now the boot is being put in as the salary cap scandal bites hard.

So have they over-taken Manly as the team fans love to hate?

“We’ve gone from being everyone’s second favourite team to being up there as the most hated,” lifetime Sharks supporter Adam Newman told us.

“In an ideal world, you want them to win and win ethically but I’m not here to please other teams’ fans

“If it’s a choice between being a loveable loser or a hated winner, I will take winning every time.”

Daily Telegraph sports-editor-at-large, Phil Rothfield, sees the hate for Cronulla first-hand.

It’s his breaking stories on the club’s salary cap plight that has led to much of the recent animosity.

But he stops short of handing the ‘most-hated club’ crown to the Sharks.

“I can understand there is ill-feeling out there about cap issues and Shane Flanagan, but no-one will ever, ever challenge Manly as the most disliked side,” Buzz told Sporting News.

“We still haven’t forgiven them for tearing rivals apart with their big fat chequebook in the Silvertail days.”

So is the case, league fans?

Are Manly still the most despised club in the NRL, or has Cronulla taken top spot?

Or do we need to look outside of Sydney to find the real winner?
The team of Pox representing the rubbish tip known as Victoria would win hands down. That club as a whole holds all the appeal of being served a faeces meatloaf for dinner.
At least Manly have the Trbojovic brothers as a redeeming feature.........
Hear hear!


User avatar
WT2K
Member
Member
Posts: 4350
Joined: Thu 04 May, 2017 5:18 pm

Post by WT2K » Thu 20 Dec, 2018 5:31 pm

No more plodders!
:sign:

User avatar
GNR4LIFE
Member
Member
Posts: 23103
Joined: Mon 28 Feb, 2011 5:57 pm

Post by GNR4LIFE » Thu 20 Dec, 2018 5:35 pm

For those keeping track. Old Woodsy is getting ready to play under his 7th coach in 2 years. Not much stability.

User avatar
cqtiger
Member
Member
Posts: 2623
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 2:34 pm
Location: Rockhampton QLD

Post by cqtiger » Thu 20 Dec, 2018 6:57 pm

WT2K wrote:
Thu 20 Dec, 2018 5:31 pm
Interesting indeed.
Tomorrow to prove solvency?

Maybe now we are seeing why the huge fines to Cronulla and us. Ploy by NRL to rid Sydney of clubs?

Not so much us but Cronulla must be nervous. I think we might be noise to help hide the big plan. Who knows?
If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said a faster horse
– Henry Ford

User avatar
cqtiger
Member
Member
Posts: 2623
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 2:34 pm
Location: Rockhampton QLD

Post by cqtiger » Thu 20 Dec, 2018 6:58 pm

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Thu 20 Dec, 2018 5:35 pm
For those keeping track. Old Woodsy is getting ready to play under his 7th coach in 2 years. Not much stability.
Haha
Oh well he’s got plenty of acreage to put all these postcodes on his butt. Lol.
If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said a faster horse
– Henry Ford


User avatar
The Patriot
Member
Member
Posts: 2529
Joined: Fri 16 Feb, 2018 8:39 am

Post by The Patriot » Thu 20 Dec, 2018 7:15 pm

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Thu 20 Dec, 2018 5:35 pm
For those keeping track. Old Woodsy is getting ready to play under his 7th coach in 2 years. Not much stability.
Was waiting for you to point that out.

At some point we need to ask if its him, hes had more coaches than his mate Farah :lol:
Its an opinion!

User avatar
The Patriot
Member
Member
Posts: 2529
Joined: Fri 16 Feb, 2018 8:39 am

Post by The Patriot » Thu 20 Dec, 2018 7:21 pm

This Craig Airey sure looks like someone the NRL should actually be investigating.

Anyone who drops a cool 1.5mil like that has no doubt helped out a player or two along the way.
Its an opinion!

User avatar
WT2K
Member
Member
Posts: 4350
Joined: Thu 04 May, 2017 5:18 pm

Post by WT2K » Thu 20 Dec, 2018 10:07 pm

cqtiger wrote:
Thu 20 Dec, 2018 6:57 pm
WT2K wrote:
Thu 20 Dec, 2018 5:31 pm
Interesting indeed.
Tomorrow to prove solvency?

Maybe now we are seeing why the huge fines to Cronulla and us. Ploy by NRL to rid Sydney of clubs?

Not so much us but Cronulla must be nervous. I think we might be noise to help hide the big plan. Who knows?
First thing that came to mind with the sharks penalty. Don't forget they have a salary cap investigation still going with findings due in January.. If found guilty and another fine on top of this current one.. Who knows if they'll survive it.
No more plodders!
:sign:

Spud Murphy
Member
Member
Posts: 2538
Joined: Sat 13 May, 2017 5:04 pm
Location: Third Heaven

Post by Spud Murphy » Fri 21 Dec, 2018 8:04 am

Tarl wrote:
Fri 14 Dec, 2018 3:39 pm
Fade To Black wrote:
Fri 14 Dec, 2018 2:41 pm
TheDaBoss wrote:
Fri 14 Dec, 2018 11:39 am
Cronulla Sharks in real danger of becoming the most hated NRL team
The real hate for Cronulla began when Ricky Stuart took control.

Manly fans will hate this but they are in danger of being overtaken by Cronulla as the most despised club in the NRL.


The Sharks were once regarded as a nuisance value club who routinely fell over come September, laughed at for their inability to win a comp while dining out on a sole Amco Cup victory in 1979.

In the 70s they were competitive and made two grand finals but didn’t win a thing – the ‘Jeans’ Cup aside – at a joint full of good blokes like Dane Sorensen, Greg Pierce, Rick Bourke and the incomparable Steve Rogers.

After nearly going under in the early 1980s, they stayed pretty much legless for the rest of the decade apart from a minor premiership win in 1988.

Nothing to hate here.

Into the 90s they started to make some noise and briefly threatened to break their premiership drought, but didn’t.

They were competitive but harmless in the eyes of opposition fans.

How could you hate The Peach? Or boo ET? Sledge Matty Rogers or Nathan Long? Tear strips off cute little Preston Campbell?

Even coach John Lang seemed the sort of bloke you’d pull up the Esky for at a backyard barbie.

The real hate for Cronulla began when Ricky Stuart took control of a team containing emerging villains Paul Gallen and Greg Bird.

Suddenly, rival fans had a coach and star players to hate in equal doses.
And Cronulla was capable of knocking over any team – your team – and leaving you battered and bruised in the process.

It was almost like the Sharks went out of their way to piss opposition fans off by corralling all the rugby league bad boys in the ensuing years.

Todd Carney, Andrew Fifita, Josh Dugan, Ben Barba, Mick Ennis, Blake Ferguson all rolled through the Shire.

Gal was still there and suddenly the Sharks were by now a consistent title threat – and a team opposing fans feared and, in turn, loathed.

The peptide scandal in 2014 upped the hate meter, the 2016 premiership triumph gave the pitchfork brigade more ammunition and now the boot is being put in as the salary cap scandal bites hard.

So have they over-taken Manly as the team fans love to hate?

“We’ve gone from being everyone’s second favourite team to being up there as the most hated,” lifetime Sharks supporter Adam Newman told us.

“In an ideal world, you want them to win and win ethically but I’m not here to please other teams’ fans

“If it’s a choice between being a loveable loser or a hated winner, I will take winning every time.”

Daily Telegraph sports-editor-at-large, Phil Rothfield, sees the hate for Cronulla first-hand.

It’s his breaking stories on the club’s salary cap plight that has led to much of the recent animosity.

But he stops short of handing the ‘most-hated club’ crown to the Sharks.

“I can understand there is ill-feeling out there about cap issues and Shane Flanagan, but no-one will ever, ever challenge Manly as the most disliked side,” Buzz told Sporting News.

“We still haven’t forgiven them for tearing rivals apart with their big fat chequebook in the Silvertail days.”

So is the case, league fans?

Are Manly still the most despised club in the NRL, or has Cronulla taken top spot?

Or do we need to look outside of Sydney to find the real winner?
The team of Pox representing the rubbish tip known as Victoria would win hands down. That club as a whole holds all the appeal of being served a faeces meatloaf for dinner.
At least Manly have the Trbojovic brothers as a redeeming feature.........
Hear hear!
Nup, it's the 'untouchable' Roosters for me. I'd love to see all their shonky back room dealings exposed and their empire come crashing down one day. Right now though it's just getting bigger and bigger without question- irks me no end.

User avatar
Harvey
Member
Member
Posts: 3883
Joined: Mon 22 Jun, 2015 10:01 pm
Location: Leumeah

Post by Harvey » Fri 21 Dec, 2018 11:55 am

Interesting that they have to disclose their financial position before the NRL hands down their cap penalty.

That way the fine can be enough to send them broke.

jadtiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 3685
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 8:12 am
Location: bayview

Post by jadtiger » Fri 21 Dec, 2018 11:59 am

Harvey wrote:
Fri 21 Dec, 2018 11:55 am
Interesting that they have to disclose their financial position before the NRL hands down their cap penalty.

That way the fine can be enough to send them broke.
Or alternatively not hurt them too badly.Maybe i am being too cynical but i wouldnt put anything beyong the NRLs double standards

Snake
Member
Member
Posts: 5270
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 5:37 pm

Post by Snake » Fri 21 Dec, 2018 12:16 pm

jadtiger wrote:
Fri 21 Dec, 2018 11:59 am
Harvey wrote:
Fri 21 Dec, 2018 11:55 am
Interesting that they have to disclose their financial position before the NRL hands down their cap penalty.

That way the fine can be enough to send them broke.
Or alternatively not hurt them too badly.Maybe i am being too cynical but i wouldnt put anything beyong the NRLs double standards
The NRL have made it clear no club will be bailed out if they are in financial distress.. until this morning that is .The Tigers really need to confront the situation they are in head on ...the NRL just make it up as they go and dish out punishment as they wish to who they wish . Confront them and if no satisfaction take to the court system .

colmcd
Member
Member
Posts: 1072
Joined: Wed 04 Jan, 2017 11:38 pm

Post by colmcd » Fri 21 Dec, 2018 12:54 pm

TheDaBoss wrote:
Fri 14 Dec, 2018 11:39 am
Cronulla Sharks in real danger of becoming the most hated NRL team
The real hate for Cronulla began when Ricky Stuart took control.

Manly fans will hate this but they are in danger of being overtaken by Cronulla as the most despised club in the NRL.


The Sharks were once regarded as a nuisance value club who routinely fell over come September, laughed at for their inability to win a comp while dining out on a sole Amco Cup victory in 1979.

In the 70s they were competitive and made two grand finals but didn’t win a thing – the ‘Jeans’ Cup aside – at a joint full of good blokes like Dane Sorensen, Greg Pierce, Rick Bourke and the incomparable Steve Rogers.

After nearly going under in the early 1980s, they stayed pretty much legless for the rest of the decade apart from a minor premiership win in 1988.

Nothing to hate here.

Into the 90s they started to make some noise and briefly threatened to break their premiership drought, but didn’t.

They were competitive but harmless in the eyes of opposition fans.

How could you hate The Peach? Or boo ET? Sledge Matty Rogers or Nathan Long? Tear strips off cute little Preston Campbell?

Even coach John Lang seemed the sort of bloke you’d pull up the Esky for at a backyard barbie.

The real hate for Cronulla began when Ricky Stuart took control of a team containing emerging villains Paul Gallen and Greg Bird.

Suddenly, rival fans had a coach and star players to hate in equal doses.
And Cronulla was capable of knocking over any team – your team – and leaving you battered and bruised in the process.

It was almost like the Sharks went out of their way to piss opposition fans off by corralling all the rugby league bad boys in the ensuing years.

Todd Carney, Andrew Fifita, Josh Dugan, Ben Barba, Mick Ennis, Blake Ferguson all rolled through the Shire.

Gal was still there and suddenly the Sharks were by now a consistent title threat – and a team opposing fans feared and, in turn, loathed.

The peptide scandal in 2014 upped the hate meter, the 2016 premiership triumph gave the pitchfork brigade more ammunition and now the boot is being put in as the salary cap scandal bites hard.

So have they over-taken Manly as the team fans love to hate?

“We’ve gone from being everyone’s second favourite team to being up there as the most hated,” lifetime Sharks supporter Adam Newman told us.

“In an ideal world, you want them to win and win ethically but I’m not here to please other teams’ fans

“If it’s a choice between being a loveable loser or a hated winner, I will take winning every time.”

Daily Telegraph sports-editor-at-large, Phil Rothfield, sees the hate for Cronulla first-hand.

It’s his breaking stories on the club’s salary cap plight that has led to much of the recent animosity.

But he stops short of handing the ‘most-hated club’ crown to the Sharks.

“I can understand there is ill-feeling out there about cap issues and Shane Flanagan, but no-one will ever, ever challenge Manly as the most disliked side,” Buzz told Sporting News.

“We still haven’t forgiven them for tearing rivals apart with their big fat chequebook in the Silvertail days.”

So is the case, league fans?

Are Manly still the most despised club in the NRL, or has Cronulla taken top spot?

Or do we need to look outside of Sydney to find the real winner?
Yea, and they just run off to Superleague and ditch the NRL.
Man if I was a forward, I would love to wipe the smile of ET's face. Ok nice guy, but too nice. TOO NICE GETS ME MAD!

Post Reply