Cronulla Sharks being investigated over possible salary cap breaches

NRL and other Australian Rugby League Discussion
Tiger Steve

Re: Cronulla Sharks being investigated over possible salary cap breaches

Post by Tiger Steve » Thu 29 Nov, 2018 10:12 pm

krayola wrote:
Thu 29 Nov, 2018 10:07 pm
Bet their fans are happy about their premiership though.

Can’t believe they can’t find sponsors. They’ve been really successful the last few years and would have gained plenty of new fans.
Maybe the peptide thing has really stuck. Not a brand companies want to be associated with.
“Peanuts! Get ya peanuts - in the shell or sugar coated!” Leichhardt memories.

gallagher

Post by gallagher » Thu 29 Nov, 2018 11:12 pm

diedpretty wrote:
Thu 29 Nov, 2018 10:05 pm
gallagher wrote:
Thu 29 Nov, 2018 10:00 pm
I thought the NRL grant to the clubs had to cover the salary cap.
It does - but isn't it absurd that a club be in total financial disarray but still fork a million a season for a player while sacking peripheral staff and going down the gurgler financially and not give a rats.
Yeah, it's a crazy situation. Let's hope some of the sacked staff have some info for the NRL cap auditors .

Telltails

Post by Telltails » Fri 30 Nov, 2018 5:55 am

Id be filthy at the management of the Sharks if I was a fan. Screwed up what looked like a good business plan and now they are "reportedly" in strife again.

Harvey

Post by Harvey » Fri 30 Nov, 2018 6:23 am

krayola wrote:

Can’t believe they can’t find sponsors. They’ve been really successful the last few years and would have gained plenty of new fans.
They might be successful, but they are on the nose. Drug cheats, cap cheats, conspiracy theorists and their appeal restricted to a small patch of Sydney.

A coach more known for dummy spits than engagement and most publicity coming via stupid comments from their former captain.

One of their few marketable players just walked out.

Would you want your brand associated with that mess?

Snake

Post by Snake » Fri 30 Nov, 2018 6:33 am

Harvey wrote:
Fri 30 Nov, 2018 6:23 am
krayola wrote:

They might be successful, but they are on the nose. Drug cheats, cap cheats, conspiracy theorists and their appeal restricted to a small patch of Sydney.

A coach more known for dummy spits than engagement and most publicity coming via stupid comments from their former captain.

The corporate sector are not fools obviously the word is out go nowhere near them,the NRL are just giving them more rope !as Cronulla are helping the NRL with there expansion vision .

NT Tiger

Post by NT Tiger » Fri 30 Nov, 2018 7:18 am

Snake wrote:
Fri 30 Nov, 2018 6:33 am
Harvey wrote:
krayola wrote:

The corporate sector are not fools obviously the word is out go nowhere near them,the NRL are just giving them more rope !as Cronulla are helping the NRL with there expansion vision .
Send in Benny, he'll help!
"Quality Stupidity"

Russell

Post by Russell » Fri 30 Nov, 2018 8:11 am

Tiger Steve wrote:
Thu 29 Nov, 2018 8:09 pm
Russell wrote:
Thu 29 Nov, 2018 7:54 pm
How good would it be to see these superleague mongrels fold.

Drug cheating, cap rorting, whinging .......

Luv it, Luv it, Luv it.
Hmmm - fair enough. Would rather see rorters rorted!
Them as well, and donkeys and Storm.

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Fri 30 Nov, 2018 8:17 am

Haha, Woodsy is deadset a Kiss of Death. Chaos reigns wherever he goes.
"This club means a lot to me and I really love this club, I love playing here, I love playing with all of the boys, it's what I've known for pretty much all of my life and I'm happy to be here." - Luke Brooks.

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

Tweed Tiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by Tweed Tiger » Fri 30 Nov, 2018 9:09 am

Perth white pointers

tigerap

Post by tigerap » Fri 30 Nov, 2018 10:05 am

Aaron Woods at Wests Tigers. Club has salary cap problems and off field dramas. Woods at Canterbury. Salary Cap problems and off field dramas. Aaron Woods at Cronulla....

NT Tiger

Post by NT Tiger » Fri 30 Nov, 2018 10:08 am

tigerap wrote:
Fri 30 Nov, 2018 10:05 am
Aaron Woods at Wests Tigers. Club has salary cap problems and off field dramas. Woods at Canterbury. Salary Cap problems and off field dramas. Aaron Woods at Cronulla....
Stay tuned for the next exiting instalment of Captain Balsa!
"Quality Stupidity"

colmcd

Post by colmcd » Fri 30 Nov, 2018 10:14 am

diedpretty wrote:
Thu 29 Nov, 2018 9:44 pm
Pawsandclaws wrote:
Thu 29 Nov, 2018 7:08 pm
We appear to be in good hands in comparison to the Sharks. That monstrosity of a development has ruined the Woolooware and Caringbah areas and for what?

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...31ab9a8ded0b97

Under directions from the board, chief executive Barry Russell handed out the redundancies to employees from commercial, digital/media and events on Tuesday.
The staff members will leave before Christmas.
The Daily Telegraph understands the Sharks finished last season with a $3 million loss, despite a $13 million grant from the NRL.
The sacking will save around $1.5 million next year.
NRL boss Todd Greenberg and his finance staff are monitoring the situation closely.
The Sharks have no major sponsor for 2019. Only one of four sponsor positions on the Sharks’ jersey has been sold.
Revenue from unit sales at the development site next to Shark Park has been used to clear debts of more than $6 million rather being invested into football operations.
Cronulla’s financial plight is of a huge concern to the NRL.
The club is also under investigation for salary cap rorting in 2015 and revelations of a fake invoice scam and bogus $100,000 loan to players.
The club is still paying off the loan and facing a huge fine from the NRL.
The Sharks have been unable to offer coach Shane Flanagan a coaching extension because of the financial crisis.
The sackings leave the Sharks with an administration staff of only 12 and all about 25.
They have to compete against teams like the Brisbane Broncos who employ 80 staff members.
The NRL is refusing to offer Cronulla any financial assistance.
The situation is so diabolical that a recent request for new computer equipment from the coaching staff was rejected.
There are suggestions the NRL side will be forced to play under the salary cap next year to save more costs although it will not affect the signing of champion Kiwi half-back Shaun Johnson, who will be getting the money from Valentine Holmes’ departure.
The Daily Telegraph is seeking comment from the Sharks and the NRL.
And herein lies the absurdity of the NRL. Why would they register Johnson's contract when they know the sharks are in dire financial trouble. Shouldn't the NRL be saying use Holmes money to clear some debt, pay their staff and attempt to get back in the black. Of course not. We will just let them blow another million a season, stick our heads in the sand and hope when we come up for air that everything has been solved.
Just so well said.
NZ lost Johnson. Other teams could make a serious offer for him. I could see him fitting into Easts post Cronk, Dragons post Widdop or Parramatta to offload Norman/Moses. Yet the Sharks signed him while getting 3 Million from the NRL.

I am sick of it. We see sillyness of the Tigers being mentioned to move to WA, yet these guys are almost bankrupt but are getting the kid gloves. What's going on Todd (or did you lift this lid on NRL's precious).

Newtown

Post by Newtown » Fri 30 Nov, 2018 10:28 am

NT Tiger wrote:
Fri 30 Nov, 2018 10:08 am
tigerap wrote:
Exiting or exciting?

gallagher

Post by gallagher » Fri 30 Nov, 2018 10:38 am

Tweed Tiger wrote:
Fri 30 Nov, 2018 9:09 am
Perth white pointers
I don't see why you woukd relocate a club that's going broke. I'd they can't make it in a rugby league city they won't make it here. They can go play the bears and the jets.

krayola

Post by krayola » Fri 30 Nov, 2018 10:50 am

Harvey wrote:
krayola wrote:

If the Mole posted those points we’d have people on here guessing that he’s talking about one of about six different clubs.

I see your points though and no, I wouldn’t want to associate with that mess or most NRL clubs.
One of my sources is Pascoe

NT Tiger

Post by NT Tiger » Fri 30 Nov, 2018 11:00 am

Newtown wrote:
Fri 30 Nov, 2018 10:28 am
NT Tiger wrote:
Fri 30 Nov, 2018 10:08 am
tigerap wrote:
Exiting or exciting?
Yes, well that remains to be seen.
"Quality Stupidity"

Harvey

Post by Harvey » Fri 30 Nov, 2018 5:36 pm

They can’t move the sharks to Perth. It is not PC.

Given the number of people that have had extremities bitten off by sharks at beaches around that area, they would need a new name

bp tiger

Post by bp tiger » Fri 30 Nov, 2018 5:58 pm

willing to bet nothing comes of this, they like 3-4 other sides are un touchable.