Cronulla Sharks being investigated over possible salary cap breaches

NRL and other Australian Rugby League Discussion
guyofthetiger

Re: Cronulla Sharks being investigated over possible salary cap breaches

Post by guyofthetiger » Sun 02 Dec, 2018 2:06 am

Geo. wrote:
Sun 02 Dec, 2018 12:59 am
Or Wests Tigers pay overs for mediocre talent..
Yep that’s certainly part of the problem when you don’t make finals.

Bit of a chicken n egg thing in the end.
Crush, kill and destroy!
Said that golden Android!
Pineapples from the Dawn of Time

formerguest
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by formerguest » Sun 02 Dec, 2018 8:38 am

jirskyr wrote:
Sat 01 Dec, 2018 9:31 pm
Cairnstigers wrote:
Sat 01 Dec, 2018 9:22 pm
S J to the Sharks
After salary cap cheating and financial problems
The NRL is a Joke
That will do me
I just cant believe what I am seeing and hearing
Someone needs a slap over the back of the head
Wake up and save our game before it's to late
Stop this abomination of an NRL competition
Actually it is not just a competition
It is a stacked competition given the green light by the head of the NRL
I wonder if some of the decision makers are recieving brown paper bags because from where I sit it certainly looks like it
What a bunch of ₩@N€£R$
You do realise that the salary cap and financial stuff is as much media speculation as anything? Nobody has formally said how bad either situation might be. So you can't assume they are badly cheating the cap - not yet.

Sharks the club might be thinking that signing a popular guy like SJ may help with the revenues, e.g. sponsorship. And just because they let 10 people go, which definitely says they have money flow issues, but the NRL still provies an annual grant that covers the cost of wages.

So with Val Holmes leaving immediately and being on good becoming great money, it's not unreasonable that Sharks can afford SJ.

Remember they pay SJ in installments, they don't have to have all his salary to hand the day he signs on.
Yeah, either way, the player salaries which have a minimum total are covered by the NRL grant and paid monthly. That said, it seems that the breaches were crafted and very deliberate, so they should pay the price, having already escaped the peptides relatively scott free.

diedpretty

Post by diedpretty » Sun 02 Dec, 2018 9:10 am

Cairnstigers wrote:
Sun 02 Dec, 2018 12:31 am
Tiger Steve wrote:
Sat 01 Dec, 2018 11:04 pm
jirskyr wrote:
Cairnstigers wrote:
S J to the Sharks
The NRL is a Joke
That will do me
I wonder if some of the decision makers are recieving brown paper bags because from where I sit it certainly looks like it
What a bunch of ₩@N€£R$
You do realise that the salary cap and financial stuff is as much media speculation as anything? Nobody has formally said how bad either situation might be. So you can't assume they are badly cheating the cap - not yet.

Sharks the club might be thinking that signing a popular guy like SJ may help with the revenues, e.g. sponsorship. And just because they let 10 people go, which definitely says they have money flow issues, but the NRL still provies an annual grant that covers the cost of wages.

So with Val Holmes leaving immediately and being on good becoming great money, it's not unreasonable that Sharks can afford SJ.

Remember they pay SJ in installments, they don't have to have all his salary to hand the day he signs on.
I think the problem stems from rosters. I know I look at certain rosters (Rorters, Sharks for example) then compare them to ours and think “what the ....” “How is this fair?” Then you look at everything that club does through the same lense - they must be cheating. It warps your objectivity.
There is so much inequality now and quite frankly it is pissing most people off. Go back through the 2018 world team thread and look at the number of Rorters players. It’s ridiculous. I don’t know how it has got to this. I accept that we have ourselves largely to blame for our lack of success but I can’t help feeling the NRL has no clue as to how many disengaged fans are out there - disengaged due to perceived inequality.
Not perceived at all
It is fact
All you need to do is compare the top 17 players for Sharks and Roosters against our team
What the hell is the salary cap for
It cant be because the NRL is trying to stop clubs going bust
They just proved that with the SJ signing by the Sharks
Sure they let Val go but
Just look at the names in the clubs
You cant have two teams stacked with Australian team members and call it a fair and even competition

You dont need to be a genius to see that all the steps the NRL has taken to try and make a fair and even competition is clearly not working
And it's the rule makers that are the problem here

The issue is in the third party payments

All clubs have the same cap
The difference is the third party payments going to players above the cap
This third party payment should follow the player regardless of what club they play for
It shouldn't give a noticeable advantage to a particular club

Capping third party payments may be the answer

But why would the Nrl care what I think
I've only followed it for 45 Years
Played for leichhardt juniors and league is one of my big passions
But I am getting fed up with the way its going
Good point - TPA's are not meant to be associated with the club or used as an enticement to play for a particular club. TPA's should be like a contract i.e. if Nike signs Tedesco up for 5 years at say 300k a year and after 2 years he leaves the rorters then the Nike TPA should remain for the next 3 years with whatever club he signs for. This is where the NRL fails miserably - they fail to police TPA rorting by clubs and then when they fluke catching one i.e. Parra or Cronulla they they wrap them over the knuckles with a feather. TPA rorting is every bit as bad as brown paper bags or mystery boats turning up in your garage or not knowing that you had inadvertently signed 2 contracts.

Tigerdon

Post by Tigerdon » Sun 02 Dec, 2018 9:31 am

Doc Tiger wrote:
Thu 29 Nov, 2018 3:19 pm
GNR4LIFE wrote:
Thu 29 Nov, 2018 12:25 pm
Poor Woodsy can't catch a break can he. The guy is cursed. If flanagan gets sacked, the new coach will be his 6th since the start of 2017. No stability.
Woodsy....Woodsy.....oh yeah! Forgot about her. Lol Sharon.
I remember when Woods was leaving the Tigers a Witch put a spell on him.
Looks like he is cursed.
in Ivan we distrust

Tigerdon

Post by Tigerdon » Sun 02 Dec, 2018 9:41 am

NT Tiger wrote:
Fri 30 Nov, 2018 7:18 am
Snake wrote:
Fri 30 Nov, 2018 6:33 am
Harvey wrote:
Fri 30 Nov, 2018 6:23 am
krayola wrote:
Thu 29 Nov, 2018 10:07 pm
Bet their fans are happy about their premiership though.

Can’t believe they can’t find sponsors. They’ve been really successful the last few years and would have gained plenty of new fans.
They might be successful, but they are on the nose. Drug cheats, cap cheats, conspiracy theorists and their appeal restricted to a small patch of Sydney.

A coach more known for dummy spits than engagement and most publicity coming via stupid comments from their former captain.

One of their few marketable players just walked out.

Would you want your brand associated with that mess?
The corporate sector are not fools obviously the word is out go nowhere near them,the NRL are just giving them more rope !as Cronulla are helping the NRL with there expansion vision .
Send in Benny, he'll help!
Great idea.
Out of the kindness of our heart we should send over the mastermind businessman Backdoor Benny!

He could try and sell the whole development for a dollar ( while he I saw getting paid hundreds of thousands) then then Club will rise again! ....or he could brainstorm a few other ideas for them.
in Ivan we distrust

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Sun 02 Dec, 2018 10:08 am

formerguest wrote:
Sun 02 Dec, 2018 8:38 am
jirskyr wrote:
Cairnstigers wrote:
S J to the Sharks
The NRL is a Joke
That will do me
What a bunch of ₩@N€£R$

Yeah, either way, the player salaries which have a minimum total are covered by the NRL grant and paid monthly. That said, it seems that the breaches were crafted and very deliberate, so they should pay the price, having already escaped the peptides relatively scott free.
That's the story with the Roosters as well. It's a story, but according to the story, Roosters have intentional low-run years where they clean out their roster and cop a bad table result, in order to open up salary cap space for a 2-3 year tilt with a fresh roster.

So some cynics will tell you the Mitchell Pearce dog incident was used as justification for a poor result in 2016, where they could sure-up their next generation of juniors (Latrell, Radley, Manu all emerging then), target a guy like Keary and let a bunch of contracts like SKD, Guerra, Evans run out.

Could be complete BS, but they definitely have a cyclical nature to their success and failure.

Cairnstigers

Post by Cairnstigers » Sun 02 Dec, 2018 10:16 am

diedpretty wrote:
Sun 02 Dec, 2018 9:10 am
Cairnstigers wrote:
Sun 02 Dec, 2018 12:31 am
Tiger Steve wrote:
Sat 01 Dec, 2018 11:04 pm
jirskyr wrote:

I think the problem stems from rosters. I know I look at certain rosters (Rorters, Sharks for example) then compare them to ours and think “what the ....” “How is this fair?” Then you look at everything that club does through the same lense - they must be cheating. It warps your objectivity.
There is so much inequality now and quite frankly it is pissing most people off. Go back through the 2018 world team thread and look at the number of Rorters players. It’s ridiculous. I don’t know how it has got to this. I accept that we have ourselves largely to blame for our lack of success but I can’t help feeling the NRL has no clue as to how many disengaged fans are out there - disengaged due to perceived inequality.
Not perceived at all
It is fact
All you need to do is compare the top 17 players for Sharks and Roosters against our team
What the hell is the salary cap for
It cant be because the NRL is trying to stop clubs going bust
They just proved that with the SJ signing by the Sharks
Sure they let Val go but
Just look at the names in the clubs
You cant have two teams stacked with Australian team members and call it a fair and even competition

You dont need to be a genius to see that all the steps the NRL has taken to try and make a fair and even competition is clearly not working
And it's the rule makers that are the problem here

The issue is in the third party payments

All clubs have the same cap
The difference is the third party payments going to players above the cap
This third party payment should follow the player regardless of what club they play for
It shouldn't give a noticeable advantage to a particular club

Capping third party payments may be the answer

But why would the Nrl care what I think
I've only followed it for 45 Years
Played for leichhardt juniors and league is one of my big passions
But I am getting fed up with the way its going
Good point - TPA's are not meant to be associated with the club or used as an enticement to play for a particular club. TPA's should be like a contract i.e. if Nike signs Tedesco up for 5 years at say 300k a year and after 2 years he leaves the rorters then the Nike TPA should remain for the next 3 years with whatever club he signs for. This is where the NRL fails miserably - they fail to police TPA rorting by clubs and then when they fluke catching one i.e. Parra or Cronulla they they wrap them over the knuckles with a feather. TPA rorting is every bit as bad as brown paper bags or mystery boats turning up in your garage or not knowing that you had inadvertently signed 2 contracts.
Exactly

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Sun 02 Dec, 2018 10:23 am

Geo. wrote:
Sun 02 Dec, 2018 12:59 am
Or Wests Tigers pay overs for mediocre talent..
Totally agree. The NRL isn't a level playing field - the NRL artificially introduce restraints on the game to try and even it up.

But you aren't going to match Broncos for sponsorship or Souths for members overnight. And many differences between "quality" of rosters are not just due to TPAs, they include coach, lifestyle, location, continued success, off-field business, rep pathways, business connections etc. etc.

To just point at TPAs and say - "it's all their fault" is too black-white. I reckon, the day the NRL makes TPAs published in public, is the day many conspiracy-theory fans get shocked that the landscape isn't anything like they thought, and have to find another scapegoat to moan about.

As if fans haven't been complaining about "glamour" clubs, cheating, player rorts, preferential treatment since the game began. How do you think non-Dragons felt between 1956-1966 (and to be frank, 10 very successful seasons either side of that run).

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Wed 12 Dec, 2018 1:57 pm

Cronulla Sharks coach Shane Flanagan faces ban after fresh evidence discovered in NRL's salary cap scandal investigation
By AAP/WWOS
7 hours ago

Cronulla coach Shane Flanagan is reportedly being investigated by the NRL after the code's integrity unit uncovered evidence he communicated with the club during his 12-month suspension in 2014.

The Daily Telegraph reports that Flanagan has been questioned after emails scanned from the Sharks' internet server as part of the NRL's ongoing salary cap probe raised the suspicions of investigators.

There was an edict, under the terms of Flanagan's suspension, imposed following the supplements scandal that engulfed the club, that the coach was to have no direct or indirect contact with officials and players.

While banned the report says emails and phone messages revealed he conversed with senior staff on issues relating to the 2015 season when he was free to return as head coach.

The report claims that off-contract NRL players and injury updates were part of the communication.

If Flanagan is found to have broken any rules, he could face another ban and the Sharks a big financial penalty. He reportedly met with his manager Wayne Beavis on Tuesday to address the matter.

It is understood the league could hand down a penalty as early as next week.

https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/sharks-coa ... 95c5c82131

Bye Bye you cheating numbat...

Hold on maybe we should sign him..
Wests Tigers don't need a Coach.. The playing group has taken over..
happy tiger wrote:
Thu 25 Oct, 2018 12:17 am
OK I was wrong
happy tiger wrote:
Thu 22 Nov, 2018 12:13 am
I know at times I'm not always the brightest light in the kitchen

diedpretty

Post by diedpretty » Wed 12 Dec, 2018 2:01 pm

Geo. wrote:
Wed 12 Dec, 2018 1:57 pm
Cronulla Sharks coach Shane Flanagan faces ban after fresh evidence discovered in NRL's salary cap scandal investigation
By AAP/WWOS
7 hours ago

Cronulla coach Shane Flanagan is reportedly being investigated by the NRL after the code's integrity unit uncovered evidence he communicated with the club during his 12-month suspension in 2014.

The Daily Telegraph reports that Flanagan has been questioned after emails scanned from the Sharks' internet server as part of the NRL's ongoing salary cap probe raised the suspicions of investigators.

There was an edict, under the terms of Flanagan's suspension, imposed following the supplements scandal that engulfed the club, that the coach was to have no direct or indirect contact with officials and players.

While banned the report says emails and phone messages revealed he conversed with senior staff on issues relating to the 2015 season when he was free to return as head coach.

The report claims that off-contract NRL players and injury updates were part of the communication.

If Flanagan is found to have broken any rules, he could face another ban and the Sharks a big financial penalty. He reportedly met with his manager Wayne Beavis on Tuesday to address the matter.

It is understood the league could hand down a penalty as early as next week.

https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/sharks-coa ... 95c5c82131

Bye Bye you cheating numbat...

Hold on maybe we should sign him..
Kick em out. Its funny though, I would say they have only caught him out through the salary cap investigation when the took all mobiles, laptops etc.

Harvey

Post by Harvey » Wed 12 Dec, 2018 5:15 pm

Will the NRL have the cojones to take strong action against the sharks and Flogagain?

Unfortunately I doubt it

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Thu 13 Dec, 2018 5:37 pm

Further proves how incompetent the NRL are. Only stumbled on this because of a different concern and that the Sharks were too stupid to cover their tracks.

Another smoking gun handed to them and the best they'll do is shoot themselves with it.
"This club means a lot to me and I really love this club, I love playing here, I love playing with all of the boys, it's what I've known for pretty much all of my life and I'm happy to be here." - Luke Brooks.

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

Pawsandclaws

Post by Pawsandclaws » Thu 13 Dec, 2018 6:54 pm

There were club officials on the other end of the emails or phones, therefore involving the club in the behaviour which undermined the punishments for the peptide scandal. Heavy punishments are now required.

TigerTiger

Post by TigerTiger » Thu 13 Dec, 2018 7:51 pm

They were busted for used animal drugs, and received a backdated sentence effectively reducing it to nearly nothing. Busted for going over the salary cap, conveniently in years either side of when they won the comp but somehow not in that one year when they won.

Like the Roosters, they obviously have connections in high places, and whatever trouble they apparently get in now will again be swept under the rug.
A one eyed supporter, mostly :crazy, always :sign:

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Thu 13 Dec, 2018 7:57 pm

And the saddest thing in all this ......Johnny Mannah , who knows if this played any part in his cancer and eventual death

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Thu 13 Dec, 2018 8:11 pm

Pawsandclaws wrote:
Thu 13 Dec, 2018 6:54 pm
There were club officials on the other end of the emails or phones, therefore involving the club in the behaviour which undermined the punishments for the peptide scandal. Heavy punishments are now required.
Agree 100% Paws. People need to be put on the rack.
"This club means a lot to me and I really love this club, I love playing here, I love playing with all of the boys, it's what I've known for pretty much all of my life and I'm happy to be here." - Luke Brooks.

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Thu 13 Dec, 2018 8:22 pm

I think flanno will cop a 2/3 year suspension...deserves 5 or more for his blatant disregard for the entity that provides him with such a lifestyle many can only dream of

Tiger Steve

Post by Tiger Steve » Thu 13 Dec, 2018 9:20 pm

Storm stripped of premierships
Sharks implicated either side of their premiership
What have we learned............

Meanwhile another fan walks away from the game, And another, and another....
“Peanuts! Get ya peanuts - in the shell or sugar coated!” Leichhardt memories.