‘I would like to see more teams’: Greenberg reveals expansion is a focus

NRL and other Australian Rugby League Discussion
TheDaBoss

Re: Where should 2 new teams be based in the NRL?

Post by TheDaBoss » Tue 27 Nov, 2018 10:11 am

WA
:sign: + :deadhorse: = Ivan in a nutshell

steve-o

Post by steve-o » Tue 27 Nov, 2018 10:35 am

IBleedBlack&Orange wrote:
Tue 27 Nov, 2018 10:11 am
steve-o wrote:
Tue 27 Nov, 2018 10:04 am
Perth and Adelaide
I reckon an overseas team like PNG
PNG is nice in theory but no top players would want to live there. They would need a lot of home grown talent to be successful
Year of last finals appearance:
2018 - Roosters, Storm, Rabbitohs, Sharks, Panthers, Broncos, Dragons, Warriors
2017 - Eels, Sea Eagles, Cowboys
2016 - Raiders, Bulldogs, Titans
2013 - Knights
2011 - Tigers

colmcd

Post by colmcd » Tue 27 Nov, 2018 11:42 am

steve-o wrote:
Tue 27 Nov, 2018 10:35 am
steve-o wrote:
Perth and Adelaide
PNG is nice in theory but no top players would want to live there. They would need a lot of home grown talent to be successful
Yes, no top players will want to live there, but they have their own local league. That league has quite a few teams in it.

We haven't seen many players reach the heights of first grade here. Robert Lui would probably be one of the best mentions, interesting too as he was a great nr7 till he acted awfully to his wife (which then prompted us to hang onto Tim Moltzen... Sadly loosing Lui and Fifita at the same time meant the tigers went from a top 4 team to a bottom 4 team).

IBleedBlack&Orange

Post by IBleedBlack&Orange » Tue 27 Nov, 2018 12:00 pm

colmcd wrote:
Tue 27 Nov, 2018 11:42 am
steve-o wrote:
steve-o wrote:
Perth and Adelaide
Yes, no top players will want to live there, but they have their own local league. That league has quite a few teams in it.

We haven't seen many players reach the heights of first grade here. Robert Lui would probably be one of the best mentions, interesting too as he was a great nr7 till he acted awfully to his wife (which then prompted us to hang onto Tim Moltzen... Sadly loosing Lui and Fifita at the same time meant the tigers went from a top 4 team to a bottom 4 team).
Having a PNG team would mean that NRL teams would have to travel a lot but they don't have to always be in PNG. Thay could be based in ONG but move closer for example. I dunno, we do need more teams
Search "clinton gage drone" on YouTube and subscribe to the channel "Drone Photography"

coivtny
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by coivtny » Tue 27 Nov, 2018 12:01 pm

colmcd wrote:
Tue 27 Nov, 2018 11:42 am
steve-o wrote:
steve-o wrote:
Perth and Adelaide

I really can't think of Robert Lui without remembering that lost finals game against Easts in 2010. He fed the ball into a scrum with Wests leading and only seconds to go and allows Easts to win the scrum against the feed. Anasta kicks a long range field goal to send the game to extra time and SKD runs 60 metres off an intercept to win the game.
If Lui had put the ball under the locks's feet as every good half knows to do we win the game. If he'd dived on the ball when it came out of the scrum when he was nearest to it (as every good half knows to do) we win the game.
I can never forgive Lui for those two absolute howlers that cost us the game. I truly believe 2010 would have been another premiership year for WT if we'd won that game.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Tue 27 Nov, 2018 12:11 pm

I think heighno was closest to the ball out of the scrum he was waiting for a penalty but should've dropped on it.
Fulton threw quite a few intercepts in his time.
Was at that game and could see it all start to unravel before it actually did... Knew what was coming... Not good memories

coivtny
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by coivtny » Tue 27 Nov, 2018 12:18 pm

innsaneink wrote:
Tue 27 Nov, 2018 12:11 pm
I think heighno was closest to the ball out of the scrum he was waiting for a penalty but should've dropped on it.
Was at that game and could see it all start to unravel before it actually did... Knew what was coming... Not good memories
My memory might be a little hazy. Maybe Heighington was closer but someone in black, gold and white should have dropped on the ball. I was there too with my youngest son right behind that scrum and was waiting for the ref to blow us a penalty but, would we ever get a penalty in that situation against the darlings of the game? I think that was the night of Simon Dwyer's 'hit' on JW-H. That is still the best hit I've ever seen.

Silentio

Post by Silentio » Tue 27 Nov, 2018 3:33 pm

Let's think about it.....

State of Origin has record tv ratings.

We struggle to get a crowd to Campbelltown but the Pacific Test is nearly a sellout.

This is the future of the game and where it should be expanding. Not the Gosford Grannies or the Perth Penguins.

The NRL as a product is at the maturity stage.

As a sport, we need to be looking to develop a new and exciting product that rates well on tv, otherwise the next rights deal will come complete with a rugby league grim reaper.

colmcd

Post by colmcd » Tue 27 Nov, 2018 4:32 pm

I think we have a call for 3 potential areas:

The Perth Jets, Perth is a lot more populated now.

PNG, You just don't get how into the game they are. It's their national sport.
You could call them the Puk Puk's. (Crocodiles).

A 4th Queensland team. Probably around and close too Brisbane. Fortitude Valley Muggers?

As a game we have to go into Perth. If we just have Eastern Seaboard + NZ, we won't see Rugby league prosper.
I think you could potentially start a PNG team as an outkasts team for a season. But you need a lot more players.

Silentio

Post by Silentio » Tue 27 Nov, 2018 5:10 pm

colmcd wrote:
Tue 27 Nov, 2018 4:32 pm

A 4th Queensland team. Probably around and close too Brisbane. Fortitude Valley Muggers?

As a game we have to go into Perth. If we just have Eastern Seaboard + NZ, we won't see Rugby league prosper.
I think you could potentially start a PNG team as an outkasts team for a season. But you need a lot more players.
I hear what you're saying.

But Perth is a tough ask as union found out. It's going to take a commitment of generations to get any sort of traction. AFL is in their blood. You'll need to be running junior programs for decades and outspend the AFL to have any hope. We're talking mega money to crack a market of less than 2 million people.

PNG is a noble aim, but it's a third world country.

Brisbane is probably the only one that could work, but even then, is it expanding the number of people watching footy or just eating into those that already watch it?

gallagher

Post by gallagher » Tue 27 Nov, 2018 5:46 pm

Silentio wrote:
Tue 27 Nov, 2018 5:10 pm
colmcd wrote:

But Perth is a tough ask as union found out. It's going to take a commitment of generations to get any sort of traction. AFL is in their blood. You'll need to be running junior programs for decades and outspend the AFL to have any hope. We're talking mega money to crack a market of less than 2 million people.

Brisbane is probably the only one that could work, but even then, is it expanding the number of people watching footy or just eating into those that already watch it?
Well you either go to somewhere like Brisbane where it won't cost the governing body much money outside of the grant but attract no new fans or somewhere new like Perth, spend the money but bring in new fans.
There's no cheap option that would achieve anything.

The Patriot

Post by The Patriot » Tue 27 Nov, 2018 5:53 pm

Why cant the PNG bid be shared with Cairns.

Imagine a team based in and playing out of Cairns but who also play 3 or 4 games a year in PNG.
Its an opinion!

Silentio

Post by Silentio » Wed 28 Nov, 2018 9:13 am

gallagher wrote:
Tue 27 Nov, 2018 5:46 pm
Silentio wrote:
Tue 27 Nov, 2018 5:10 pm
colmcd wrote:

Well you either go to somewhere like Brisbane where it won't cost the governing body much money outside of the grant but attract no new fans or somewhere new like Perth, spend the money but bring in new fans.
There's no cheap option that would achieve anything.
True. The NRL is facing the challenge of diminishing returns.

Where it gets trickier is that there will be less revenue when the next tv rights deal rolls around (thanks Netflix).

Way less people are watching traditional tv, so there's less ad revenue and networks are not going to bid as much. for the NRL Investing heavy in a declining product is a recipe for disaster.

I'm not convinced that expanding the sport necessarily requires new teams or relocating teams.

As a selfish fan, I hate the idea of my team playing games out of Tamworth. While there are some negatives, I concede that all things considered,, it's probably be good for the sport.

The sport could quite possibly be expanded and rejuvenated by reformatting origin to include NZ and some Pacific sides in a mid season comp while the NRL takes a break and freshens up. You'd have some really awesome quality games and a big competitive edge over AFL.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Wed 28 Nov, 2018 9:25 am

innsaneink wrote:
Tue 27 Nov, 2018 12:11 pm
When Benji went off injured they just seemed to drop their bundles

We lost that game in the 1st 20 minutes , how many tries did we bomb

Harvey

Post by Harvey » Fri 14 Dec, 2018 8:43 am

The way things are going, the Silverwater Felons or Long Bay Pirates might need to be one of the next teams admitted.

It seems that they may have a couple of marquee recruits lined up

Snake

Post by Snake » Fri 14 Dec, 2018 10:59 am

The NRL have to do nothing about the clubs .. greedy clubs will do it for them ! IMO within 10 yrs there will be at least 2 less Sydney clubs . The only clubs that will be around will be the clubs that make a profit each year and do not think some of the bigger clubs will not be under pressure .. no more bail outs will see to this sooner than later!There is only so much money the corporate world in Sydney will cough up , as supporters of the Tigers we should be thankful that we have administrators that see this fact and are making the Tigers financially viable.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Fri 14 Dec, 2018 11:04 am

Snake wrote:
Fri 14 Dec, 2018 10:59 am
The NRL have to do nothing about the clubs .. greedy clubs will do it for them ! IMO within 10 yrs there will be at least 2 less Sydney clubs . The only clubs that will be around will be the clubs that make a profit each year and do not think some of the bigger clubs will not be under pressure .. no more bail outs will see to this sooner than later!
They can't afford not to bail sides out if push comes to shove Snake

They have to have 16 clubs for Fox and 9 all they risk losing all the funding

If Cronulla for example refuse to move /relocate .......what do they do ??

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Fri 14 Dec, 2018 11:07 am

happy tiger wrote:
Fri 14 Dec, 2018 11:04 am
Snake wrote:
Fri 14 Dec, 2018 10:59 am
The NRL have to do nothing about the clubs .. greedy clubs will do it for them ! IMO within 10 yrs there will be at least 2 less Sydney clubs . The only clubs that will be around will be the clubs that make a profit each year and do not think some of the bigger clubs will not be under pressure .. no more bail outs will see to this sooner than later!
They can't afford not to bail sides out if push comes to shove Snake

They have to have 16 clubs for Fox and 9 all they risk losing all the funding

If Cronulla for example refuse to move /relocate .......what do they do ??
Admit another side and let Cronulla die.
"This club means a lot to me and I really love this club, I love playing here, I love playing with all of the boys, it's what I've known for pretty much all of my life and I'm happy to be here." - Luke Brooks.

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...