Todd Greenberg threatens to take NRL grand final interstate if Labor abandons stadium rebuildNRL CEO Todd Greenberg has

NRL and other Australian Rugby League Discussion
User avatar
Yossarian
Member
Member
Posts: 9914
Joined: Sat 11 Jul, 2009 7:46 pm
Location: Central Coast

Re: Todd Greenberg threatens to take NRL grand final interstate if Labor abandons stadium rebuildNRL CEO Todd Greenberg

Post by Yossarian » Wed 28 Nov, 2018 6:08 pm

Snake wrote:
Wed 28 Nov, 2018 6:44 am
Mr Daley the Labor builder of infrastructure...wait he was roads minister for years and years :roll ..if you live in Sydney you certainly seen what Mr Daley and the Labor party built . Thank you Gladys for the vision and will to build the infrastructure that was run into the ground by successive Labor governments. Think what you want about the present government of NSW but they are having a big go into fixing 20 years of Labor in NSW doing nothing!
He was Roads Minister for 1 year. One. Singular. If you're going to give him a serve at least get your facts right.


User avatar
Harvey
Member
Member
Posts: 3878
Joined: Mon 22 Jun, 2015 10:01 pm
Location: Leumeah

Post by Harvey » Thu 29 Nov, 2018 6:44 am

So Beattie in discussions with the Qld labour government to take the grand final there.

Who could have predicted

Pawsandclaws
Member
Member
Posts: 3307
Joined: Sat 20 Jun, 2015 5:53 pm

Post by Pawsandclaws » Mon 03 Dec, 2018 3:16 pm

Todd Greenburg just received a suppository from the NSW Opposition Leader.

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/nsw/i-w ... 50jpa.html

User avatar
jirskyr
Member
Member
Posts: 6192
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 12:00 pm

Post by jirskyr » Mon 03 Dec, 2018 3:39 pm

Greenberg's got nothing to lose here. If Liberals win, he gets the stadiums the NRL lobbied for, if Labor win, Greenberg is given licence to take the GF elsewhere.

If he'd just decided to move the GF to the highest bidder without any political threat, there would have been uproar, but if Labor "force" him to do it, he has justification.

I personally have no problem if Brisbane or, god forbid, Melbourne host a GF if they fill the stadium and make it a spectacle. It would be good for the game, same as how they are moving Origin around to different spots.

If Sydney wants the mortgage on GFs, and I'm from Sydney, then the city has to maximise the code's infrastructure IMO. GFs and SOO are lucrative to the economy.

gallagher
Member
Member
Posts: 5786
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 1:18 pm

Post by gallagher » Mon 03 Dec, 2018 5:36 pm

It gives the NRL to negotiate the MOU. Leave Allianz at it is and get homebush rebuilt.


Pawsandclaws
Member
Member
Posts: 3307
Joined: Sat 20 Jun, 2015 5:53 pm

Post by Pawsandclaws » Mon 03 Dec, 2018 5:54 pm

If Labor wins the next State election, Greenburg potentially alienates a large proportion of the rugby league base if he carries out his threat. With near 60% support to not spend a further cent on stadiums, Daley is on a winner and knows it (so does Greenburg).

Snake
Member
Member
Posts: 5269
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 5:37 pm

Post by Snake » Mon 03 Dec, 2018 7:03 pm

Pawsandclaws wrote:
Mon 03 Dec, 2018 5:54 pm
If Labor wins the next State election, Greenburg potentially alienates a large proportion of the rugby league base if he carries out his threat. With near 60% support to not spend a further cent on stadiums, Daley is on a winner and knows it (so does Greenburg).
Daley should seak out the advise of many of the previous Labor government politicians they knew the right way to spend and manipulate the tax paying publics purse ...he can see many of them in one day at the Silverwater correctional facility .

Pawsandclaws
Member
Member
Posts: 3307
Joined: Sat 20 Jun, 2015 5:53 pm

Post by Pawsandclaws » Mon 03 Dec, 2018 7:27 pm

Snake wrote:
Mon 03 Dec, 2018 7:03 pm
Pawsandclaws wrote:
Mon 03 Dec, 2018 5:54 pm
If Labor wins the next State election, Greenburg potentially alienates a large proportion of the rugby league base if he carries out his threat. With near 60% support to not spend a further cent on stadiums, Daley is on a winner and knows it (so does Greenburg).
Daley should seak out the advise of many of the previous Labor government politicians they knew the right way to spend and manipulate the tax paying publics purse ...he can see many of them in one day at the Silverwater correctional facility .
I believe a near 60% view of those surveyed consider there are higher priority areas in which to spend taxpayer dollars. Take a walk through the paediatric oncology ward at POW Hospital to understand where this money could be better spent. The matter of corruption among politicians is a separate issue outside of this discussion.

gallagher
Member
Member
Posts: 5786
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 1:18 pm

Post by gallagher » Mon 03 Dec, 2018 8:31 pm

Pawsandclaws wrote:
Mon 03 Dec, 2018 5:54 pm
If Labor wins the next State election, Greenburg potentially alienates a large proportion of the rugby league base if he carries out his threat. With near 60% support to not spend a further cent on stadiums, Daley is on a winner and knows it (so does Greenburg).
Would it really alienate the fan base though? Over 3mill watch it on the tv and only 65k at the ground. I think its a bit of a risk for a premier.

Fade To Black
Member
Member
Posts: 5659
Joined: Tue 21 Feb, 2012 5:51 pm

Post by Fade To Black » Tue 04 Dec, 2018 12:26 am

The sooner Greenburg the hemorrhoid is surgically removed from the bum of our great game the better. Incompetent doesn't even begin to describe the insipid, spineless parasite that bloke is.
An NRL GF held in Adelaide in front of 15000 semi-disinterested people would really be a showcase :roll: Please disappear you goose.

User avatar
steve-o
Member
Member
Posts: 2010
Joined: Tue 14 Sep, 2010 4:27 pm
Location: Toronto, Ontario

Post by steve-o » Tue 04 Dec, 2018 1:35 am

gallagher wrote:
Mon 03 Dec, 2018 5:36 pm
It gives the NRL to negotiate the MOU. Leave Allianz at it is and get homebush rebuilt.
I’ll have some of this. No need to knock down and rebuild Allianz, particularly from a rugby league perspective given the limited use
Year of last finals appearance:
2018 - Roosters, Storm, Rabbitohs, Sharks, Panthers, Broncos, Dragons, Warriors
2017 - Eels, Sea Eagles, Cowboys
2016 - Raiders, Bulldogs, Titans
2013 - Knights
2011 - Tigers

Byron Bay Fan
Member
Member
Posts: 4988
Joined: Sat 17 Oct, 2015 2:14 pm

Post by Byron Bay Fan » Tue 04 Dec, 2018 6:33 am

I always thought the Olympic stadium seats should have build on giant casters with many divisions so they could be towed around into any configuration - even have a horse race track around the outside.
Malcolm Knox: What has happened this week is a pity for the Tigers, a pity for Jason Taylor and a pity for Robbie Farah, who had achieved more than the Big Four put together but was somehow turned into collateral damage. (SMH 25-26 March, 2017)

User avatar
jirskyr
Member
Member
Posts: 6192
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 12:00 pm

Post by jirskyr » Tue 04 Dec, 2018 11:45 am

Byron Bay Fan wrote:
Tue 04 Dec, 2018 6:33 am
I always thought the Olympic stadium seats should have build on giant casters with many divisions so they could be towed around into any configuration - even have a horse race track around the outside.
Funnily enough it did have. The seats have been fixed since they removed the side wings (behind the goal posts) and attached the side roof after the Olympics.

The issue is that in the current configuration, the seats cannot get any closer to the field, casters or no. And seeing as no sports regularly use ANZ apart from league, union and soccer, they are planning to abandon the capability for oval configurations (AFL and cricket).

User avatar
jirskyr
Member
Member
Posts: 6192
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 12:00 pm

Post by jirskyr » Tue 04 Dec, 2018 11:48 am

Fade To Black wrote:
Tue 04 Dec, 2018 12:26 am
The sooner Greenburg the hemorrhoid is surgically removed from the bum of our great game the better. Incompetent doesn't even begin to describe the insipid, spineless parasite that bloke is.
An NRL GF held in Adelaide in front of 15000 semi-disinterested people would really be a showcase :roll: Please disappear you goose.
You are being facetious, they would be thinking sell-outs at MCG or Suncorp, not Adelaide. Maybe Auckland one day.

I would bet my bottom dollar, if the GF ever did move, that the QLD government would do everything in their power to get the first non-Sydney GF in Brisbane, though the NRL might prefer the turnover from a capacity MCG.

User avatar
jirskyr
Member
Member
Posts: 6192
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 12:00 pm

Post by jirskyr » Tue 04 Dec, 2018 12:08 pm

Pawsandclaws wrote:
Mon 03 Dec, 2018 7:27 pm
Snake wrote:
Mon 03 Dec, 2018 7:03 pm
Pawsandclaws wrote:
Mon 03 Dec, 2018 5:54 pm
If Labor wins the next State election, Greenburg potentially alienates a large proportion of the rugby league base if he carries out his threat. With near 60% support to not spend a further cent on stadiums, Daley is on a winner and knows it (so does Greenburg).
Daley should seak out the advise of many of the previous Labor government politicians they knew the right way to spend and manipulate the tax paying publics purse ...he can see many of them in one day at the Silverwater correctional facility .
I believe a near 60% view of those surveyed consider there are higher priority areas in which to spend taxpayer dollars. Take a walk through the paediatric oncology ward at POW Hospital to understand where this money could be better spent. The matter of corruption among politicians is a separate issue outside of this discussion.
58% of a survey of 1557 people. Take all of that with a grain of salt. Surveys and exit polls are potential indicators but dangerous to put much trust in those, as Trump and Brexit have proven.

Also take into account that voters were similarly duped by Turnbull's promise to down-cost the NBN with FTN rather than FTP development, but the project still ran massively over budget on his watch and now we have a half-capacity system of fibre and copper connections.

It's an easy sell because many voters don't think ahead, don't think about long-term strategy and investment, they just think about the fact that they'd don't really like sport, so why would they want to spend money on a stadium? Democracy is great, but also, large groups of people can be quite moronic.

See, if you put it to a popular vote, you could expect most of regional NSW to already vote against Stadium rebuilds in Sydney - ~5M people in Sydney and ~8M total in NSW. But you would also expect, if the $1.5B stadium plan is turfed, it's highly likely that Sydney still gets the money somewhere else, rather than some grand regional infrastructure. Or the money goes to some road or power station or something equally unpopular.

And as I noted before, Health system currently gets $25B annually. In fact the State Govt will already be spending $8B on hospital upgrades over the next 4 years. Liverpool Hospital alone is getting a $740M refurbishment, same cost as the planned SFS rebuild.

You have to put it all in context - you can't simply assume that if Labor undoes the Stadium plan that the $1.5B immediately goes to needy families or kids with cancer. The reason the 2018-2019 State budget includes stadium upgrades is because they can afford it, after they've already outlaid for health, roads and education. They don't build stadiums, light rail and metro when the budget is in major deficit, not unless the expediture generates boom jobs or long-term revenues; they are nice to haves and currently the State has a lot of cash available to invest in city-wide projects.

My question to Daley would be - exactly where is the money going, if not to the stadiums. Make it a fair comparison. Let people vote on whether Sydney gets a new stadium or... whatever the alternative is being proposed. But he has no proposal at this time, it's just a cheap play ahead of the election to seize a potential issue of discontent and play out with voters, to be black against the government's white. And I'm not even a Liberal voter and Michael Daley used to be my local member.

User avatar
Cultured Bogan
Member
Member
Posts: 18518
Joined: Tue 15 Sep, 2009 11:20 pm
Location: Blue Mountains

Post by Cultured Bogan » Tue 04 Dec, 2018 12:10 pm

Pawsandclaws wrote:
Mon 03 Dec, 2018 3:16 pm
Todd Greenburg just received a suppository from the NSW Opposition Leader.

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/nsw/i-w ... 50jpa.html
Ah yes, but was it one of wisdom?
"This club means a lot to me and I really love this club, I love playing here, I love playing with all of the boys, it's what I've known for pretty much all of my life and I'm happy to be here." - Luke Brooks.

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

Snake
Member
Member
Posts: 5269
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 5:37 pm

Post by Snake » Tue 04 Dec, 2018 12:36 pm

jirskyr wrote:
Tue 04 Dec, 2018 12:08 pm
Pawsandclaws wrote:
Mon 03 Dec, 2018 7:27 pm
Snake wrote:
Mon 03 Dec, 2018 7:03 pm
Pawsandclaws wrote:
Mon 03 Dec, 2018 5:54 pm
If Labor wins the next State election, Greenburg potentially alienates a large proportion of the rugby league base if he carries out his threat. With near 60% support to not spend a further cent on stadiums, Daley is on a winner and knows it (so does Greenburg).
Daley should seak out the advise of many of the previous Labor government politicians they knew the right way to spend and manipulate the tax paying publics purse ...he can see many of them in one day at the Silverwater correctional facility .
I believe a near 60% view of those surveyed consider there are higher priority areas in which to spend taxpayer dollars. Take a walk through the paediatric oncology ward at POW Hospital to understand where this money could be better spent. The matter of corruption among politicians is a separate issue outside of this discussion.
58% of a survey of 1557 people. Take all of that with a grain of salt. Surveys and exit polls are potential indicators but dangerous to put much trust in those, as Trump and Brexit have proven.

Also take into account that voters were similarly duped by Turnbull's promise to down-cost the NBN with FTN rather than FTP development, but the project still ran massively over budget on his watch and now we have a half-capacity system of fibre and copper connections.

It's an easy sell because many voters don't think ahead, don't think about long-term strategy and investment, they just think about the fact that they'd don't really like sport, so why would they want to spend money on a stadium? Democracy is great, but also, large groups of people can be quite moronic.

See, if you put it to a popular vote, you could expect most of regional NSW to already vote against Stadium rebuilds in Sydney - ~5M people in Sydney and ~8M total in NSW. But you would also expect, if the $1.5B stadium plan is turfed, it's highly likely that Sydney still gets the money somewhere else, rather than some grand regional infrastructure. Or the money goes to some road or power station or something equally unpopular.

And as I noted before, Health system currently gets $25B annually. In fact the State Govt will already be spending $8B on hospital upgrades over the next 4 years. Liverpool Hospital alone is getting a $740M refurbishment, same cost as the planned SFS rebuild.

You have to put it all in context - you can't simply assume that if Labor undoes the Stadium plan that the $1.5B immediately goes to needy families or kids with cancer. The reason the 2018-2019 State budget includes stadium upgrades is because they can afford it, after they've already outlaid for health, roads and education. They don't build stadiums, light rail and metro when the budget is in major deficit, not unless the expediture generates boom jobs or long-term revenues; they are nice to haves and currently the State has a lot of cash available to invest in city-wide projects.

My question to Daley would be - exactly where is the money going, if not to the stadiums. Make it a fair comparison. Let people vote on whether Sydney gets a new stadium or... whatever the alternative is being proposed. But he has no proposal at this time, it's just a cheap play ahead of the election to seize a potential issue of discontent and play out with voters, to be black against the government's white. And I'm not even a Liberal voter and Michael Daley used to be my local member.
Great post and it does not matter which way you vote ...Daley has not even given it any thought the Stadium issue is just a vote grabbing exercise for dummies that can not put two and two together. I thought that knocking down Alliance was over the top it could surely be renovated as it certainly needs it but ANZ is the crown jewel here should be knock down and become the premium rectangular stadium in the country ..short sightedness and non visionary actions are sadly clouding this debate .. and as above no government in NSW history has spent more on hospitals and schools than the present government. The whole of NSW infrastructure was run into the ground by the previous Labor long term government these are facts not fiction as the post above reflects the figures not about who you vote for .

User avatar
Yossarian
Member
Member
Posts: 9914
Joined: Sat 11 Jul, 2009 7:46 pm
Location: Central Coast

Post by Yossarian » Tue 04 Dec, 2018 3:26 pm

It's a less than 20 year old stadium. We should just tear it down and start again every 20 years? The suggestion that health or education is an exact sum funding concept (I.e. that there is x amount of money that needs to be spent and any additional is wasted) is absurd. Just because the government allocates x amount of money for schools, hospitals or roads it doesn't follow than x + 5% isn't beneficial. That the stadium spend is what 5% of the total health spend is irrelevant. It's still $1.5B (assuming this is even accurate) that could be spent elsewhere.
If either the SFS or Homebush were crumbling structures in need of a big spend then fine. But the SFS knock down is only happening because Jones and the SCG trust are pushing it. There was no public outcry, no demand from the tenants.

Post Reply