Forget about damage to rugby league – what about damage to women?

NRL and other Australian Rugby League Discussion
Byron Bay Fan

Re: Forget about damage to rugby league – what about damage to women?

Post by Byron Bay Fan » Wed 12 Dec, 2018 12:04 pm

Spud Murphy wrote:
Wed 12 Dec, 2018 9:45 am
You really don't get it do you? Or more likely, you just don't want to get it.
If we were serious about changing behaviour no matter what, dangerous driving or assault, then you have to ban grog. I read years ago that about 80% of crime is committed when a person is effected by liquor. Come 2019 I have not had grog for forty years. I am doing my part. I have mates who can't handle their liquor but they still get served and have further trouble so who really cares? They have their pint of courage as we used to call it in the old days.
Malcolm Knox: What has happened this week is a pity for the Tigers, a pity for Jason Taylor and a pity for Robbie Farah, who had achieved more than the Big Four put together but was somehow turned into collateral damage. (SMH 25-26 March, 2017)

fibrodreaming

Post by fibrodreaming » Wed 12 Dec, 2018 4:51 pm

Masterton wrote:
Wed 12 Dec, 2018 9:36 am
Byron Bay Fan wrote:
Wed 12 Dec, 2018 12:54 am

But should the one strike and you are out work both ways? I realise there may be zero deaths of males by females but the same intent of injury could still be there. I make it a habit of marrying feisty women (or I drive that that way) and they assault me and it doesn't worry me at all - love is love both ways. Gee they would consider me a pansy if I was to report it. If I was to retaliate I would probably be reported . I have been chased with knives a few times and I get revenge by bringing it up in speeches at anniversary times - then I get assaulted again.
I've worked with with male domestic violence victims. No-one considered them a "pansy". We reserved our judgement for the perpetrators.

(that said, in my experience the culprit is about 250x more likely to be a man)
This doesn't square with the stats. Around 40% of the victims of violence from their current partner were males, the majority of which were perpetrated by females (94%).

Around 35% of domestic homicide victims were male; while 21% of intimate partner homicide victims were male.

The perpetrators of domestic violence are certainly more likely to be men - but 250x is an exaggeration.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Wed 12 Dec, 2018 8:55 pm

My god!
We need to love, cherish and respect our women, they do so much for us...I just stumble on another tragic story today...so sad...

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-12-12/ ... g/10610818

A community devastated by a case of domestic violence which saw two children shot dead by their father in Sydney's Hills district has been rocked again by the death of the children's mother.

Jack Edwards, 15, and Jennifer Edwards, 13, were killed at their West Pennant Hills home in July in what police described as a "planned attack" by their father John in early July.
If you need to talk to someone, call:

Lifeline on 13 11 14
Kids Helpline on 1800 551 800
MensLine Australia on 1300 789 978
Suicide Call Back Service on 1300 659 467
Beyond Blue on 1300 22 46 36
Headspace on 1800 650 890
QLife on 1800 184 527

Their mother, Olga Edwards, returned to the home shortly after police arrived.

About 10:00am today, police went to Ms Edwards' Hull Road home, concerned for her welfare.

"The body of a 37-year-old woman was located deceased," police said in a statement.

"The death is not being treated as suspicious and a report will be prepared for the coroner."..............................

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Thu 13 Dec, 2018 8:52 am

innsaneink wrote:
Wed 12 Dec, 2018 8:55 pm
My god!
We need to love, cherish and respect our women, they do so much for us...I just stumble on another tragic story today...so sad...

A community devastated by a case of domestic violence which saw two children shot dead by their father in Sydney's Hills district has been rocked again by the death of the children's mother.

Jack Edwards, 15, and Jennifer Edwards, 13, were killed at their West Pennant Hills home in July in what police described as a "planned attack" by their father John in early July.

Lifeline on 13 11 14
QLife on 1800 184 527

About 10:00am today, police went to Ms Edwards' Hull Road home, concerned for her welfare.

"The body of a 37-year-old woman was located deceased," police said in a statement.

"The death is not being treated as suspicious and a report will be prepared for the coroner."..............................
That's horrible. I remember hearing that story (drove past the street the day that it happened,) and wondering how the poor mother would go on in such tragic circumstances.

Such a senseless waste of life there, a situation that never needed to be in the first place.

It is what happens when people treat their children as possessions rather than people.
"This club means a lot to me and I really love this club, I love playing here, I love playing with all of the boys, it's what I've known for pretty much all of my life and I'm happy to be here." - Luke Brooks.

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

Earl

Post by Earl » Thu 13 Dec, 2018 9:15 am

innsaneink wrote:
Wed 12 Dec, 2018 8:55 pm
My god!

Lifeline on 13 11 14
QLife on 1800 184 527

This is horrendous. It is about as bad a thing as I can possibly contemplate.

I think though that society needs to really look at DV as an issue and ensure that we view it accurately. I read recently statistics on DV and it was very much akin to a man hating propaganda machine. The stats are based on surveys and include stuff like calling someone names. I think that if you are consistently calling someone derogatory names that is abuse but arguments happen in relationships and some people (men and women) can go crazy and hurl abuse (who here hasn't sworn at someone else) at the other person/people. I think that the stats like the ones I read hide the fact of disgusting abuse ala what has happened to this poor woman. I also think those stats probably take police and other resources away from real cases of abuse and put them onto instances that aren't abuse.

For the record I think Zane Musgrove is someone who has serious issues and shouldn't be at the club. I don't want to say that about Dylan Walker because I'm just not sure. Other cases ala Brett Stewart and Greg Inglis to me show how this whole issue needs a massive amount of work.

I don't have the answer though. It'd be good to have the ability to predict crimes ala that Tom Cruise movie and discern the difference between people who have a normal argument and people that are actually abusive and will hurt another human being emotionally or physically.

I'd hate to be a member of the police force. I have so much respect for those guys doing such a tough job.

Earl

Post by Earl » Thu 13 Dec, 2018 12:09 pm

http://www.bettinaarndt.com.au/news/nev ... te-ribbon/
has morphed into a huge propaganda industry determined to promote a simplistic male-blaming perspective on this complex social issue.

Support for the shelters gets remarkably little attention from the powerful female bureaucrats running these thriving organizations which downplay statistics demonstrating women’s role in family violence and promote the myth that the only way to tackle domestic violence is through teaching misogynist men (and boys) to behave themselves. Never mind that this flies in the face of the huge body of research showing most family violence involves aggression from both partners and that sexist attitudes are not a major risk factor for DV in Western countries like Australia.

willow

Post by willow » Wed 19 Dec, 2018 10:45 am

Tiger Steve wrote:
Tue 11 Dec, 2018 2:30 pm
Byron Bay Fan wrote:
Tue 11 Dec, 2018 9:02 am
Look at it through the context of Hayne's life. No father, maybe bad self image due to being a half caste that was stigmatised in that era as his mum states, were there any good role models for him? We know that some of those housing commission estates are far out. His schoolmates said that he was not very bright. He needed positive vibes in his life but they were not there. Other people can have the same experience but hold up okay due someone being strong and positive for them. I hope he avoids the lock up somehow.

But I would kick Donald Trump when he is down.
There are no words to respond to this....
Well it finally gave us enough cause to ban the senile old fool.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Wed 19 Dec, 2018 11:03 am

willow wrote:
Wed 19 Dec, 2018 10:45 am
Tiger Steve wrote:
Byron Bay Fan wrote:
Look at it through the context of Hayne's life. No father, maybe bad self image due to being a half caste that was stigmatised in that era as his mum states, were there any good role models for him? We know that some of those housing commission estates are far out. His schoolmates said that he was not very bright. He needed positive vibes in his life but they were not there. Other people can have the same experience but hold up okay due someone being strong and positive for them. I hope he avoids the lock up somehow.

His pot induced ramblings will be sorely missed by all forum members , who will now take up Robbie's No 1 fan title ??

willow

Post by willow » Wed 19 Dec, 2018 11:11 am

happy tiger wrote:
Wed 19 Dec, 2018 11:03 am
willow wrote:
Tiger Steve wrote:
Byron Bay Fan wrote:

His pot induced ramblings will be sorely missed by all forum members , who will now take up Robbie's No 1 fan title ??
He won't be missed in the slightest Happy.

Pawsandclaws

Post by Pawsandclaws » Wed 19 Dec, 2018 11:45 am

Marina Go's appeal in the SMH for players to stand tall against domestic violence and sexual assault/misbehaviour towards women is revealing. The likelihood of her being the first female head of the NRL increases as this issue gets more attention.

NT Tiger

Post by NT Tiger » Wed 19 Dec, 2018 12:06 pm

willow wrote:
Wed 19 Dec, 2018 11:11 am
happy tiger wrote:
Wed 19 Dec, 2018 11:03 am
willow wrote:
Tiger Steve wrote:

He won't be missed in the slightest Happy.
I don't know, I agree with Happy. He was our own version of the twilight zone.
"Quality Stupidity"

TheDaBoss

Post by TheDaBoss » Thu 20 Dec, 2018 8:52 am

Anyone else reas the article the mel hoffman wrote about women and domestic violence?, quite powerful
:sign: + :deadhorse: = Ivan in a nutshell